PDA

View Full Version : My hair in photos -- Jan 2010 to Jan 2014

walterSCAN
January 14th, 2014, 04:58 PM
My SIL agreed to take a length shot for me the other day (after 3 years of none!) and I thought it would be kinda cool to see my progress/ how my hair has changed in four years. Then I thought, maybe you guys would want to see too? Also, I have some questions at the end.

Ok, on to the photos! (In each of these, my hands are resting on the tops of my hip bones and the top of my hands are in the smallest part of my waist, or at least, that's what I tried to do. All of these photos have bun waves of one kind or another, too.)

This was January of 2010, a little after my first henna, which is when I decided to stop using dark brown semi-permanent dye and slowly trim it out and replace it with the darkest red henna I could get:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/length2.png

Then March of 2010:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/lengthmarch3.jpg

Then I didn't take one for a while, did a couple 1-2 inch self-trims, continued henna-ing, and we come to January of 2011:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/jan2011precut.jpg

I continued self-trimming from 2011 through the very beginning of 2012, but that was during my LHC hiatus and I didn't get any photos. I mostly hovered between waist and hip with the trims, and continued with the henna.

THEN, I didn't trim at ALL from early 2012 to now, and I was pregnant for the majority of 2012, so I didn't henna much either. (couldn't bend over well enough to rinse, I was HUGE) Maybe once in 2012 and once again in late October of 2013. No photos 2012-2013. :(

NOW, we come to the present. It feels a little thinner now than it used to be, not because of postpartum shedding so much as mechanical damage/ neglect while I learned how to care for a newborn, but it's the longest it's ever been now:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/lengthearly2014-withlines.jpg

Don't let the saggy-butt pajama pants fool you!

(None of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit any more because of massive BF weight loss. :rollin: Now it's the Booger who is HUGE.)

At any rate, the blue line is where I'd approximate the crease where my legs meet my butt, and the green line is where I think the beginning of TBL is. I do sit on it if it's down and I'm not paying attention.

What do I call this? TBL still? Do you think it needs a trim? If so, to where? IF, it makes a difference, it looks a little extra-thin in this photo because I accidentally over oiled it. I didn't know that when we took the photo because it wasn't quite dry, found out the next morning. Also, the ends look really dark because the light is directly over my head, the whole length is closer to the color around my shoulders, IRL. I do need to do my roots pretty badly again, though!

Ok, I'm done now, thanks for reading!! :bounce:

vanillabones
January 14th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I don't think you need a trim at all! Dang your hair grows FAST! I think it's perfect. Congrats on your baby and your hair. I honestly don't know what length it is :( it looks at the very least TBL to my eye. Are you going to grow to classic?

Yozhik
January 14th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Gorgeous length and hair! That color looks great, and your hair doesn't look thin or in need of a trim at all to me. :flowers:

I'll always be envious of 1a heads of hair - you have the kind of sleekness I could never achieve with my wurlies. :cloud9:

Micayla47
January 14th, 2014, 05:53 PM
i agree with vanillabones. you don't NEED a trim at all and the red is beautiful :)

Valkyriejae
January 14th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I'm just gonna sit here and try really hard not to be jealous of your length and colour and ends and how fast it grows... ><
(In all seriousness, it's lovely and I fully agree that you don't need a trim)

leslissocool
January 14th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Great progess!!! :thud:

I don't think it looks thin at all!

bunzfan
January 15th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Wow your hair is gorgeous gives me hope i'll get a similar result with no trimming.

glittergloss
January 15th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Beautiful hair and colour, love it!

TiaKitty
January 15th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Beautiful! I think I'd call it TBL+. You're well on your way to classic! I love seeing progress pics...

Your new signature photo is pretty, too!

Tini'sNewHair
January 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
:thudpile: My dream hair, cant wait to be at your length in a few years <3

mariakatija
January 15th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Your hair is beautiful!

Rio040113
January 15th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I'm just gonna sit here and try really hard not to be jealous of your length and colour and ends and how fast it grows... ><
(In all seriousness, it's lovely and I fully agree that you don't need a trim)

Ditto :lol: Your hair is gorgeous :)

lapushka
January 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
That is amazing progress, congrats. I love the red! :D

browneyedsusan
January 15th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Very nice work!

Postpartum shedding was a big deal for me. Hairdresser actually gasped when I sat in her chair and confessed that she'd seen it before, but not like mine. (Gee, thanks. I hadn't noticed that my hair was falling out! :justy: )

The red is beautiful, and the sheds will grow back. It takes a while, but they do! :)
It might feel thin, but isn't noticeable from the pictures!

walterSCAN
January 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks so much for the compliments and encouragement, guys! :bounce: It really feels nice get them, as I don't get many IRL.

(MIL, who I love and of course not knowing what such a comment means to someone on LHC, announced to everyone after we took that photo and I put my hair back up, "And it really doesn't make a very big bun, either!" :( It made me sad, but like I said, she didn't mean it for criticism.)

The bun in my sig is a lazy wrap parandi bun with one of my new beaded parandis and a crochet hook. I <3 my parandis, and got SO many compliments on them over the holidays! Now everyone wants me to make them one...

It does feel pretty thin to me, and I see a definite difference between the older photos and now, but I'm hoping it will thicken up again over time. Eventually, I'll probably start trimming and maintain it to a certain length (who knows which, I'm feeling very indecisive about my hair right now) to help that along. Maybe. I'm also rather lazy about my hair lately, too.

I think my ultimate goal length is going to be fingertip, which, due to the fact that I have super-long-monkey-arms, is pretty long. Knuckle length (as in, where my fingers join my palm) on me would be fingertip on most other people. I'm actually still trying to decide between FTL and KL (ha! does this really exist?) for my ultimate goal. ...hmmm... decisions...

MeganE
January 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Considering the waves, pretty sure your hair is at least skimming classic. Held up a piece of paper to extend the blue line, and your hair is just brushing it. I think I just increased my goal.... Nice job!!!

Edit: Oh, and I don't think it looks like it needs a trim. I think you're.... halfway to needing a trim. :) The ends aren't smooth like they were just trimmed, but they don't look bad or anything. And it doesn't look thin at all. It looks awesome!!

Selkie-
January 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Beautiful shiny, silky hair - well done! :) I don't think it needs a trim - it looks very healthy to me. Length-wise you look like you could be a smidgeon past Tailbone and heading to Classic length. :cheese:

spidermom
January 17th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Very pretty. I call that length tailbone+.

walterSCAN
January 17th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I like that-- "halfway to needing a trim"! :)

Thanks guys, it really means a lot! :flower:

Katrine
January 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Your hair is beautiful and it's grown really fast! And nice thickness with pretty shine too.

I'd say you're well past tailbone and very close to classic.

0xalis
January 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Woooooow your hair looks way longer than it is if it's only at TBL. Perhaps you have a long torso like me? lol. You could actually be well past TBL. Your hair is gorgeous, btw.

hairpleasegrow
January 18th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Wowwwwwwww :) !!!

walterSCAN
January 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks so much, everyone!! :D I've gotta say, I really did expect at least a couple people to say it looks a bit thinner/ that it might need a trim... Of course, you're always your own hair's worst critic, or something. ;) I'm still debating a trim in the next couple months, but I haven't decided anything. I'm afraid I'd have to trim quite a lot to get the whole length to feel as thick to me as it ought to, and I'm not sure I want to lose that much length.

Woooooow your hair looks way longer than it is if it's only at TBL. Perhaps you have a long torso like me? lol. You could actually be well past TBL. Your hair is gorgeous, btw.

I think I might have a long torso, but a short waist, if that makes any sense? And thank you!