PDA

View Full Version : Keratin Hair Treatment

cmdinoto
January 14th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the Keratin hair treatment was safe for hair? I really want to get it done because my hair is so frizzy but want to make sure it won't like make my hair fall out or anything.

Thanks,

Christine

sarahthegemini
January 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Is that the same as a Brazillian blow out type thing? If so, ask ErinLeigh, she has experienced the good and the bad side of these So she knows all about them!

kganihanova
January 14th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Lol talk to ErinLeigh, she'll tell you all about how safe they are. In reality, they're awful. They mask damage and you take a certain risk doing them.

Weewah
January 14th, 2014, 09:09 PM
They need to use a 450 degree flat iron in small sections of your entire head to seal the treatment in, so that in itself is pretty damaging. There's formaldehyde in it too which is a big thing people don't like about it. If your hair is resilient and you get it done well, it'll save you styling time which is good, but it's definitely not damage-free and you might find yourself caught in a cycle of needing straightening treatments as your hair gets more and more damaged. :\

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 09:44 PM
oh no I'm the LHC poster child for them. lol
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118537

this will explain my experiences with them.

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 10:00 PM
oh i forgot to mention, yes some people get a ton of shedding and hair loss using them, some don't. Its a mixed bag. I shed a ton when I did mine and I usually have light less than average shedding. My hair started getting thinner and thinner after a few.

Firefox7275
January 15th, 2014, 07:42 AM
It's not a 'treatment' in the sense if being beneficial to hair like a penetrating oiling or DIY hydrolysed protein treatment - that is cunning marketing. The very high temperatures used are harmful to hair. Think of it like a weaker version of a chemical relaxer/ a chemical service.

For frizzy hair look at the Curly Girl method. Frizz is just hairs that are not lying neaty together: that is down to things like brushing/ combing, not enough conditioning (may need a leave in conditioner), weather conditions (inc. compatibility with products), bad damage causing hairs to repel one another, or some combination. You would be welcome to join the active Wavy Hair Community on Facebook.