PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Perm and Don't Know How It'll Turn Out?

NewOrderFan
January 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I've wanted a perm for a while now, but I was wondering could I get one that would look like this picture?http://i2.cdnds.net/13/08/618x406/ustv-carrie-diaries-s01-e06-5.jpg

vanillabones
January 14th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I've always wanted one too :( unfortunately the only thing I've heard is that it can even be more damaging than the bleach I've done in the past :(
If you go through with it I'd love to see the results on your hair!! The volume will be a wonderful change... as will be caring for the curls of course :p

Vanilla
January 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM
That looks to be a spiral perm. I have had that done to my hair when it was waist length. The first time I got the perm, my hair looked awesome and was in fairly good condition. The second time my hair was permed, I had to cut a lot of length off because it got so damaged.

There isn't a way to avoid perming the entire length of the hair as your hair grows. The stylist cannot simply perm just your roots.

renarok
January 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I was a hairdresser for a long time. I estimate I have done about 2000 perms. Very very rarely do they turn out like the above picture. If they do it will be for about two weeks and then the curl will drop. (loosen) What is your current hair type, and does it have any chemical treatments in it?

edit: I just read your hair type, and fine hair is breakage prone. If you truly have a goal of 50 inches then a perm won't get you there. But if you really want the appearance of thicker, curlier hair then it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons. The longer the hair the less time it will hold on to the curl.

HairFaerie
January 14th, 2014, 05:46 PM
They sell spiral rollers that will give those kinds of curls. They are made of soft foam so you can sleep on them you might be able to get that result with those instead of risking damage. It's temporary, but might be worth it.

I agree with the other posters...perms never come out looking like that. I had the all throughout my teen years thanks to my mom who did it at home and I can vouch for the fact that your hair ends up a frizzy, damaged mess! I would advise highly against it. People with short hair that get their hair cut every time they go for the perm might be able to get away with it but for long hair....disaster waiting to happen!

jasper
January 14th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I can get curls like that using rag curlers. It takes a little practice, and attention to the ends to avoid frizz.

Firefox7275
January 15th, 2014, 08:10 AM
As far as I can tell naturally wavy hair takes a curl better than dead straight hair which often seems to drop out to just wavy, especially if very long or heavy.

ladyfey
January 15th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I got spirals perms back in the '80s on waist length hair. They looked great for about a week and then the curl was pretty much gone.

Rio040113
January 15th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Another vote for curlers, flexi rods can easily give you that spiral look :) I had my hair permed at 16 and it was snapping off after a month. It dropped out quickly too and left me with a lot of snarly frizz.

lapushka
January 15th, 2014, 08:35 AM
The "curls" appear more wavy than actually curly, and in that sense a perm might disappoint. If you are willing to go curly girl with your routine (no brushing when dry, etc.) then I say go for it.

My hair is F as well, though I have iii hair. I got a perm at shoulder length or thereabouts, and grew to hip with the perm in. My hair was damaged though (lots of white dots) and it takes patience and dedication to have that on your head and have it taken care of. It eventually all had to be cut out, so I lost a lot of length.

Macaroni
January 15th, 2014, 10:39 AM
If you want to save your hair from the chemicals of a perm, check YouTube for spiral curls. There are many temporary, no chemical styling tips.

fairview
January 15th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Search for figure 8 curls. Use a curling iron, preferably a Marcell and curl in a figure 8. Pretty much how you get great spiral curls like that.

Anje
January 15th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Off-topic: Is that a real person or a computer-generated image?

molljo
January 15th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Off-topic: Is that a real person or a computer-generated image?
It looks to be actress AnnaSophia Robb from the Carrie Diaries.

ExpectoPatronum
January 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I had gotten a perm when I turned 13 due to really wanting curly hair (my hair was stick straight when I was young). I loved it. I don't remember any damage because it was so long ago and I started doing another damaging things to my hair after that. She didn't do a normal perm, I think the rods might have been bigger so not to give the super curly look.

Oddly enough, my hair didn't grow back straight. It's been wavy/curly ever since.

leslissocool
January 15th, 2014, 02:10 PM
That looks like spiral curls to me, I've never seen a perm that look like that but I've gotten those results with the headbad curls.

LaFlor
January 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I had nice results with a perm I had a few years ago, but it didn't look like that, and it wasn't fun to take care of. Nothing like taking care of actual curly hair.

leslissocool
January 15th, 2014, 03:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnB6ps9R-A8

I love her videos, I might try this... the little foam wiggly thingies they sell would work really well. What's the name of those?

stachelbeere
January 15th, 2014, 04:09 PM
a little off topic: I always wondered if they actually curl her hair with a curling iron every time they shoot or if they put flexi rods in and let her sleep in it...? I mean heatless curls hold so much longer and her hair must be getting so much damage from curling it so often... and this show has been on for 2 seasons now and her hair length is still the same.

edit: it does get shorter in season 2 and she's definitely wearing extensions :)

leslissocool
January 15th, 2014, 04:42 PM
a little off topic: I always wondered if they actually curl her hair with a curling iron every time they shoot or if they put flexi rods in and let her sleep in it...? I mean heatless curls hold so much longer and her hair must be getting so much damage from curling it so often... and this show has been on for 2 seasons now and her hair length is still the same.

edit: it does get shorter in season 2 and she's definitely wearing extensions :)

Wouldn't a hood dryer speed up the process though? I've been thinking of a low heat hood dryer (the type in GM salons or long hair) because it's a PITA to dry my hair sometimes I end up braiding wet or bunning wet, but then I can't go out in the snow for fear my hair will freeze. And they could just damp her hair, put the rollers/whatever in in the hood dryier and do the make up, which can take up to 2 hours if I'm not mistaken (and the mani/pedi ect ect). I have some hair stylist friends who do use them, they seem portable enough to stick in the car.

patienceneeded
January 15th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I had gotten a perm when I turned 13 due to really wanting curly hair (my hair was stick straight when I was young). I loved it. I don't remember any damage because it was so long ago and I started doing another damaging things to my hair after that. She didn't do a normal perm, I think the rods might have been bigger so not to give the super curly look.

Oddly enough, my hair didn't grow back straight. It's been wavy/curly ever since.

Exact same thing happened to me! I was 13 (8th grade) and wanted curly hair more than just about anything. My hair was thick and about as stick-straight as possible. My mom finally gave in and I went to a salon and got the lovely late-80's spiral perm. Holy Moley! I had these amazing spiral curls and they never really went away. I'm sure it was damaging, but I was 13 and didn't care. The odd thing was, my hair has not been straight since! I laugh and joke that the ONE perm I've ever had soaked into my scalp and changed my DNA... I'm sure (finally) hitting puberty was the actual culprit in the permanent change to my hair texture.

NewOrderFan
January 15th, 2014, 05:40 PM
When I first signed up I didn't understand the whole hair type thing so I just selected the first choice on all of them I believe because I was so confused. My hair is pretty much stick straight, except for the ends that tend to stick up, and a little thick. I've had it in the same style for a number of years now so I was just looking for a change. I really don't have hours on hand to do my hair like especially since I prefer to take showers in the morning. It's just to bad that I can't get this look without ruining my hair by heat styling :( I'll try that bubble wrap tutorial because that looks just like the hairstyle I wanted, but I've tried something like this before and the results weren't good.

spidermom
January 15th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Thing is, very straight hair doesn't play nice with permed hair. You'll likely get more damage than anything, and the straight roots will look weird with disrupted length. My 1A friends never actually got curl, more like poofy waves.

stachelbeere
January 16th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Wouldn't a hood dryer speed up the process though? I've been thinking of a low heat hood dryer (the type in GM salons or long hair) because it's a PITA to dry my hair sometimes I end up braiding wet or bunning wet, but then I can't go out in the snow for fear my hair will freeze. And they could just damp her hair, put the rollers/whatever in in the hood dryier and do the make up, which can take up to 2 hours if I'm not mistaken (and the mani/pedi ect ect). I have some hair stylist friends who do use them, they seem portable enough to stick in the car.

yeaaaah... that didn't occur to me. of course they would use a hooded dryer.

diddiedaisy
January 16th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Like many others my teens in the 80s were spent having a perm. I so wanted the seemingly elusive spiral perm. Asked for it everytime, never got it. My hair is fine and straight. I always ended up more Bon jovi lol. However my friend who had very thick hair managed to get the spirals but only for a few weeks. I think you need thick hair for it to hold.

Don't do it, is all I will say!!!