PDA

View Full Version : Powdering out over-oiled hair

tbonita
January 14th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I've had the problem at times of over-oiling my hair, especially it being very short and all. Instead of washing it before I had planned to, I found sprinkling in some of that volumizing dry shampoo powder works great. I've tried with the spray dry shampoo and it just doesn't work the same. Alterna makes 2 great ones: caviar anti-aging dry shampoo powder and bamboo texturizing body boost volumizing liquid powder. For a less expensive alternative, got2be powder'full makes some as well. Just throwing it out there!

vanillabones
January 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I use dry shampoos as well and we have a very similar hair type :) I oil just the ends but I've always had a greasy scalp. Just for a repeat on products I've used the suave spray dry shampoo does not work well at all besides smelling like lemons. I personally dislike citrus smells very much. I use a powder version of Klorane which you can get on the internet but my favorite is the Klorane spray dry shampoo but it hardly lasts a month so I stopped buying it.
Some people use baby powder but the whiteness shows up much more this way and could be more harsh?
Others have tried cocoa powder but I have no experience with that. Maybe I will try it, hopefully it isn't too dark for me.
:twocents:

tbonita
January 14th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Hmmmm cocoa powder would match my hair nicely... Never heard of that one!

vanillabones
January 14th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Yes give it a go :o I will too! Do you mind if I friend you on here?

sarahthegemini
January 14th, 2014, 05:37 PM
If I used cocoa powder in my hair, my bf would probably try to eat me :p

tbonita
January 14th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Yes give it a go :o I will too! Do you mind if I friend you on here?

Yes of course! Friend me :)

tbonita
January 14th, 2014, 06:27 PM
If I used cocoa powder in my hair, my bf would probably try to eat me :p

Hahaha so true!

queenieheather
January 14th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I do this all the time! My hair looks greasy with oils but feels soo nice. So I oil it then dab on a mixture of corn starch and cocoa powder with a makeup brush. It makes my braids snug and smooth, otherwise my hair is all wispy.

Weewah
January 14th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I read somewhere that cocoa powder alone doesn't soak up oil, you're just supposed to mix it with other powder to make it darker. But I don't know I never tried it.

Lady Bug
January 15th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I sometimes use dry shampoo, usually when I want to extend my "washing". I make my own spray in dry shampoo, and it works great for me. Here's the recipe:
1 tbsp of cornstarch
4 tbsp of water
1 tbsp of rubbing alcohol or organic ethanol
A few drops of essential oil (such as lavender, peppermint, or vanilla) for scent

I usually put half the alcohol and skip the essencial oil. Give it a try, you might like it =)

Lady Bug
January 15th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I sometimes use dry shampoo, usually when I want to extend my "washing". I make my own spray in dry shampoo, and it works great for me. Here's the recipe:
1 tbsp of cornstarch
4 tbsp of water
A few drops of essential oil (such as lavender, peppermint, or vanilla) for scent

I usually put half the alcohol and skip the essencial oil. Give it a try, you might like it =)

tbonita
January 15th, 2014, 12:42 PM
1 tbsp of cornstarch
4 tbsp of water

Wow thanks I will totally try that!! :)