PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to cut it all off because it's not growing fast enough!

MoominPaige
January 14th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Does anyone else get that feeling? I'm so sad that it's not growing quickly that I just want to chop it all into a pixie cut! Even though I know I would regret it straight away!

Anje
January 14th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I think you'll agree that it'd be rather counterproductive. :P

vanillabones
January 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I'm sad that mine grows slow. Since cutting out all my damage and bleach I'm finally getting the average .5 a month so I feel like I'm *just* starting my long hair growth journey... after 3 years of joining this site I am at where most people begin.

oatmealpie
January 14th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I know that feel. When I get that way, I just put my hair up and try to forget about it. I don't measure more than once a month to help avoid focusing on the length too much. And I celebrate the mini milestones along the way.

When you do feel like cutting it, tell yourself to wait two weeks before you cut it, and I bet the feeling will pass.

&rea
January 14th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Yes! I cut mine into a super short stacked bob that is now growing out. There have been many times that it seemed like it was too short to do anything with and it didn't look nice. What kept me from doing it is that I would think "I'm at chin length now, but I would be at APL if I wouldn't have cut it". It helps it I throw on a headband or pin my bangs back out of my face. Now its long enough to put all of it back in a Flexi 8 so I can just forget about it.

Bombadillo
January 14th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah, I get that too. If it's not going to get any longer than why have it at all? I'm still reeling over a slow from my .75" a month growth rate and an apparent increase in shedding but I eventually remember how I wish it would reach a certain length and find that I've made it!
I also get the cutting bug when I see others with hair my length that doesn't look very nice and get thinking about how I must look like that too, especially when at work and hats and wind have made a mess of the mop. But all that goes away when I see shiny curls after a shower!

AmyBeth
January 14th, 2014, 08:53 PM
My hair grows just fine- the usual 1/2 inch per month. What tempted me to cut it was the fact that I had such dreams of classic length, and I have realized that hip length is all that this hair is going to be able to muster. Very disappointed.:( So I began playing with faux bobs, where you pin the hair up to look like a cut. It's fun and it actually looked nice. I can experiment with different lengths. I figure, if I can pretend to have APL hair without cutting, I may as well hang on to my length, because it only takes a moment to cut, but months and months to grow back out.

spidermom
January 14th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Yes. I went through that cycle several times - cut my hair off in a fit of temper because I'VE BEEN GROWING MY HAIR FOR A WHOLE YEAR (from a pixie) and it's still not long. Haha; how silly. It takes patience and time to get long hair. It took 10 years (with trims) to get from chin length to classic length. I didn't develop the patience for it until I was in my mid 40s.

Don't do what I did!

diddiedaisy
January 15th, 2014, 02:05 AM
My hair grows painfully slow. 1.3cm since early November. I don't want to cut it though but I would kill for half an inch a month even lol

lapushka
January 15th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I think you'll agree that it'd be rather counterproductive. :P

Oh gosh, Anje, talk about a dry response! You had me snickering! :lol:

I agree, BTW!

jasper
January 15th, 2014, 04:18 AM
I can imagine how, if you want a change, and are tired of waiting, cutting would be a "quick fix." Cutting has to be the fastest way to change hair. But if what you want, more than a change, is long hair, then cutting slows you down on the journey. Cutting to a pixie adds to the awkward grow out stages to the journey.

Loviatar
January 15th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Vanillabones (love the name) I know what you mean. I've been here since 2005 and only this past year have I managed to stop dyeing, bleaching and cutting. I have a very short bob and feel also that despite my long status as a LHC member, my actual growth journey has only just started. I can't even put my hair up and forget about it yet - it's too short to put up.

XcaliburGirl
January 15th, 2014, 05:58 AM
I definitely have felt that way. I know it makes no sense. It mostly happened at shorter lengths. I think maybe the reason is that cutting the hair would be an end to the constant anticipation. It's a way to reach the goal now by changing the goal.

browneyedsusan
January 15th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Just relax.
Go have a cup of coffee and chill. :meditate:

tommyboy
March 2nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
It grows so slowly and sometimes its hard to be patient especially with it being hard to control all the time. If I hadn't had it long before I probably would have cut it by now, but instead I just want it long again real bad and am willing to deal with it.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
I feel like that so often. My goal of Classic seems so far away! The only productive way to get past it is to take your mind off your hair for a few weeks, put it up and forget about it, or get another hobby. Cutting it shorter won't get you to your hair goal.

Patience, patience and More patience, I tell myself....

Madora
March 2nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
I second the motion of finding something to distract you while you're growing your hair longer. A Pixie cut may look cute...for a while....but growing your hair out after a Pixie is not much fun. Have you tried daily scalp massage to encourage your hair growth? Growing hair is a work in progress. You need plenty of patience.

hairpleasegrow
March 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
I know how you feel i am hating my hair lately. i'm always encouraging other lhc-ers to just take it easy and be patient and to love themselves and all that fuzzy stuff....well it turns out i'm a big old hypocrit because i cant take my own advice.

i'm not dying since 3 months ago and i chopped off 2 inches recently to get rid of the splits so i went from almost apl to sl. i feel like raggedy anne but with grey roots. my length doesnt suit me and i feel soo unattractive . i'm on the verge of going to a salon to at least dye my roots because my greys are really getting me down and at least get my color right. i shouldnt have done so much all at once . i totally admit i joined and i was too keen and tried too much change in one go.

i think part of what is getting me down is that i feel i'll never have hair like people on the lhc. a part of me wants to just quit but then i think of going to the salon and i cringe.

i'm going to give it another 4 months hopefully my attitude will improve

EDIT: when i say i'm not dying i mean i'm not dying my hair, apologies for this typo

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
I know how you feel i am hating my hair lately. i'm always encouraging other lhc-ers to just take it easy and be patient and to love themselves and all that fuzzy stuff....well it turns out i'm a big old hypocrit because i cant take my own advice.

i'm not dying since 3 months ago and i chopped off 2 inches recently to get rid of the splits so i went from almost apl to sl. i feel like raggedy anne but with grey roots. my length doesnt suit me and i feel soo unattractive . i'm on the verge of going to a salon to at least dye my roots because my greys are really getting me down and at least get my color right. i shouldnt have done so much all at once . i totally admit i joined and i was too keen and tried too much change in one go.

i think part of what is getting me down is that i feel i'll never have hair like people on the lhc. a part of me wants to just quit but then i think of going to the salon and i cringe.

Hairpleasegrow, like you I tried going without dyeing my hair and only managed 3 months and it became too much for me to cope with (the greys against the blonde) and I honestly felt like an ugly old hag so I dyed the roots again and immediately felt so much happier with my hair and it made me feel so much better about continuing to grow it. When I first decided to grow my hair long (again) my hair was only at 12 inches and sometimes it just felt impossible, but I reminded myself that I could do pretty cute ponytails at shoulder length and though it wasn't long, I could still enjoy pampering my hair and enjoying its current length because - it would NEVER be this short again, not even the next day, because the next day it would be half a millimetre longer than today.... Boy, I sound hair obsessed, lol. But I hope this helps you, it helped me get through the worst and I am almost at waist now. You CAN do it!

ETA: I used to feel that my hair could never possibly be like LHC hair. But it surprised me and I am proud of it now, at least some of the time. Don't give up! :)

Tini'sNewHair
March 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM
Hmmm...maybe you arent finished experimenting?

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
Maybe you're being too hard on yourself. I've gotten upset at my hair plenty of times. Like others said use benign neglect and take up a hobby mine is reading, research, and blogging here. I found those things soothing and cutting your hair won't get you closer to your goal. Just remember everyone goes through an awkward phase.

michelle1000
March 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
if you cut it all off you will be sorry Hair grows for most of us 1/2 inch a month so if you have 12 inches now it will only take 2 years to get back where you are at this time and cutting DOES NOT make it grow faster

michelle1000
March 2nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
dying and the other one two different meanings two different spellings

EDIT: when i say i'm not dying i mean i'm not dying my hair, apologies for this typo

0xalis
March 2nd, 2014, 05:51 PM
Me too >:/

My hair didn't grow at all in February and I'm on the verge of throwing a tantrum. I swear to god if this weather is to blame....

dulce
March 2nd, 2014, 06:28 PM
My hair grows for a while then stops for a few months,it's a cycle..

hairpleasegrow
March 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Hairpleasegrow, like you I tried going without dyeing my hair and only managed 3 months and it became too much for me to cope with (the greys against the blonde) and I honestly felt like an ugly old hag so I dyed the roots again and immediately felt so much happier with my hair and it made me feel so much better about continuing to grow it. When I first decided to grow my hair long (again) my hair was only at 12 inches and sometimes it just felt impossible, but I reminded myself that I could do pretty cute ponytails at shoulder length and though it wasn't long, I could still enjoy pampering my hair and enjoying its current length because - it would NEVER be this short again, not even the next day, because the next day it would be half a millimetre longer than today.... Boy, I sound hair obsessed, lol. But I hope this helps you, it helped me get through the worst and I am almost at waist now. You CAN do it!

ETA: I used to feel that my hair could never possibly be like LHC hair. But it surprised me and I am proud of it now, at least some of the time. Don't give up! :)

thanks saralabyrinth that is exactly what i needed to hear, yes every day it is a bit longer!! maybe dying my roots might be what is right for me too. yes I have blonde highlights I am growing out, my roots are a mousy brown and I have alot of grey mixed in there. i'm 37 and i'm quite surprised at all the grey coming in. There is alot more than I thought.

Your hair is lovely ...so long and shiny and glorious ....nice to know you once thought you could never reach "LHC status" so to speak ;). Congrats on your lovely hair maybe one day I will have long locks too!!! thanks again for the pep talk :)

jeanniet
March 2nd, 2014, 06:39 PM
dying and the other one two different meanings two different spellings

Dying vs. dyeing, just to clarify (haha!).

Kome
March 2nd, 2014, 07:37 PM
I kinda did this recently... it's a long story, but I did cut a lot of hair off. It's not super short, so by the summer it should look "long" again, but part of me regrets it. I just much prefer my hair long.

hairpleasegrow
March 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
I kinda did this recently... it's a long story, but I did cut a lot of hair off. It's not super short, so by the summer it should look "long" again, but part of me regrets it. I just much prefer my hair long.

Ugh I feel exactly the same way! I'm really hoping that my hair gains a bit more length during spring/summer.

Islandgrrl
March 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Vanillabones (love the name) I know what you mean. I've been here since 2005 and only this past year have I managed to stop dyeing, bleaching and cutting. I have a very short bob and feel also that despite my long status as a LHC member, my actual growth journey has only just started. I can't even put my hair up and forget about it yet - it's too short to put up.

There's a reason they say it's a journey, yes?

chen bao jun
March 2nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
I can understand this feeling. It's like, its not long and it will never be long so I want to give up and look cute NOW.
It comes and goes.
Reading this forum helps and also looking at where people started and where they are now in inches helps.
what I try to do is not think ahead to where it(might) get to LHC lengths but to think of minigoals. rightnow my hair is about an inch, inch and a half away from APL while curly, so I keep telling myself, by June I will be APL curly and that's only 4 months away, I can hold out until then..
I do NOT let myself think about the fact that I'm probably bottom bra strap stretched and get discouraged thinking, how a curly like me can be on LHC almost two years and still only look APL. I also tell myself that even if I never reach LHC lengths (which is quite likely I won't) I have a lot longer hair than when I came on this site and in a lot better condition, so just hold on, hold on, hold on..
It doesn't help that everyone around is me is like, your hair is long enough, you should wear it out more, especially my husband. he came home from a business trip this week and I wore my hair out and he kept saying, I forgot you are so pretty (and I knew he meant, I forgot that you are not just an old lady in a bun...)
Sigh.
I also encourage myself that I can do buns I couldn't a few months ago.
I think part of the discouragement may also just be the winter weather this time of year.
I am not going to get a pixie though. I had one once and it was so super ugly on me,I actually look much better as an 'old lady in a bun'.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 3rd, 2014, 12:53 AM
thanks saralabyrinth that is exactly what i needed to hear, yes every day it is a bit longer!! maybe dying my roots might be what is right for me too. yes I have blonde highlights I am growing out, my roots are a mousy brown and I have alot of grey mixed in there. i'm 37 and i'm quite surprised at all the grey coming in. There is alot more than I thought.

Your hair is lovely ...so long and shiny and glorious ....nice to know you once thought you could never reach "LHC status" so to speak ;). Congrats on your lovely hair maybe one day I will have long locks too!!! thanks again for the pep talk :)

Thanks, HairPleaseGrow. Ya know, sometimes you just need a bit of understanding and encouragement and it doesn't seem too bad. Hugs!

pixldust
March 3rd, 2014, 03:07 AM
Cutting your hair off on a whim or in anger is never a good idea because you get home from the salon, look in the mirror and think 'why the hell did I do that!' I've been there, many times. I used to hate my hair with a passion. I was convinced it was ugly, that it would never grow past shoulder length. I once even clippered it all off because I was so annoyed with how it looked growing out of a pixie.

Another member said, quite rightly, that it takes minutes to cut your hair but months, or even years to grow it back. And that mullet type shape that you inevitably get from growing out a pixie is an absolute pain in the backside!

T-Red
March 3rd, 2014, 03:29 AM
I actually threw my Wahl clippers in the dumpster about a month ago. I had about 3 days in a row of my hair just going every which way and it looked BAD. I figured I was on the verge of another buzz cut if they were still around. Actually I tried to grow my hair long about 4 months before my official start, got to about 2", got frustrated, and buzzed it off. I don't want to do that again! So I keep telling myself I would be at 7" instead of 5" if I had a bit more patience....

Rushli
March 3rd, 2014, 04:31 AM
I use to cut my hair because I was bored with it. I have slow growth between should and apl and never thought I would make it past that point. Summer 2012 I decided I wanted actual long hair not just almost long hair (my definition at the time, anyway) and decided that I was not going to do any major cutting for 3 years until after the next big family vacation. However long my hair was, that was what I would have. I have to admit, it has not been that hard because it mostly got thrown up in a pony tail and forgotten about (SAHM has its advantages.) But the times I have gotten bored, it was easy to ignore the whim because I only had a time goal, not a length goal.

I still have 16 months left of my time goal, and really hope I have pasted hip by then, but will be just fine if I dont.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 04:36 AM
CBL is a dangerous length for me. I get frustrated with how bland it looks on me and keep looking at stylish shorter cuts to give me some oomph to my look. But if I do get a cute bob for instance, I am eventually going to be back at the dreaded CBL anyway...so why prolong my agony for a short time of instant gratification?

Problem is when my hair is shorter I am just not very attached to it. It is a hard mindset to break.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Problem is when my hair is shorter I am just not very attached to it. It is a hard mindset to break.

That's why they so often say those are awkward lengths. It takes a lot to get past them. Lots of endurance, because the urge to cut is so strong when it doesn't lay right, or when there's layers, what have you...

Agnes Hannah
March 3rd, 2014, 09:46 AM
Me too >:/

My hair didn't grow at all in February and I'm on the verge of throwing a tantrum. I swear to god if this weather is to blame....

Mine hasn't grown in Feb either, but at least spring is coming now, so it should start to grow again. Don't give up the faith!

LongHairLesbian
March 3rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
I know the feeling quite well. My hair has been growing faster since I quit all heat cold turkey, and started giving lots of extra love to my ends. But it still doesn't feel like it's growing fast enough, and I get tempted to cut a lot off, due to a slightly uneven hemline. I feel like my ends would look and feel a lot healthier if I took a good 4-6 inches off. But I know that if I do that, I will be further away from my goal of classic length hair, and when I get back to waist, my ends will probably look the same then as they do now.

LongHairLesbian
March 3rd, 2014, 04:01 PM
I can understand this feeling. It's like, its not long and it will never be long so I want to give up and look cute NOW.
It comes and goes.
Reading this forum helps and also looking at where people started and where they are now in inches helps.
what I try to do is not think ahead to where it(might) get to LHC lengths but to think of minigoals. rightnow my hair is about an inch, inch and a half away from APL while curly, so I keep telling myself, by June I will be APL curly and that's only 4 months away, I can hold out until then..
I do NOT let myself think about the fact that I'm probably bottom bra strap stretched and get discouraged thinking, how a curly like me can be on LHC almost two years and still only look APL. I also tell myself that even if I never reach LHC lengths (which is quite likely I won't) I have a lot longer hair than when I came on this site and in a lot better condition, so just hold on, hold on, hold on..
It doesn't help that everyone around is me is like, your hair is long enough, you should wear it out more, especially my husband. he came home from a business trip this week and I wore my hair out and he kept saying, I forgot you are so pretty (and I knew he meant, I forgot that you are not just an old lady in a bun...)
Sigh.
I also encourage myself that I can do buns I couldn't a few months ago.
I think part of the discouragement may also just be the winter weather this time of year.
I am not going to get a pixie though. I had one once and it was so super ugly on me,I actually look much better as an 'old lady in a bun'.

Just want to let you know that I always enjoy your comments, chen bao jun. I look forward to seeing them when I go through threads, and get excited when I find them, haha.

clioariane
March 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Don't do iiiiitttt!!!

Layton
March 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Try not looking into mirror often, it would help with the urge.