PDA

View Full Version : A little sad

spidermom
January 14th, 2014, 02:53 PM
O.K., this is the most stupid thing ever, but here goes.

I reached my goal of classic length but have drastically cut back to heavily layered, longest of the U hem just above waist. I'm very happy with it. It doesn't tangle much. I can wear it down all the time without worrying about it too much, which is great because I have overuse injury of my left thumb/wrist/forearm (De Quervain's tenosynovitis for you medical types), and it's very difficult/painful for me to accomplish braids and up-styles.

So why am I a little sad? I've lost thud-worthy status with LHC.

I told you it's the most stupid thing ever, but I know others have grown extra-long, then cut back. How do you feel about it?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 14th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I think I know what you mean, Spidermom, it must feel great to have LHC thudworthiness. But your hair is just as beautiful now you know! And you can always grow it longer again.

sally_neuf
January 14th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I have always thought your hair is thud-worthy not just because of its lenght but also it is also shiny and healthy. even that "bed hair" was awesome! Besides it is very different from my hair type so I always go "awww"

so, for you! ::thudpile: (but you' gonna have to put some pictures of the results if you want more!)

breezefaerie
January 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Your hair is still thud-worthy :)

PinkyCat
January 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
You're kidding right??
That cut you got is one of the most thud-worthy heads I have EVER SEEN!! So thick & youthful! Your hair has ALWAYS been one of my most favorite on LHC. So what if you cut it - I cut mine too - and I love it! I'm almost OVER the super-long thing. I'm after something that is even more coveted than super-long - an EPIC CUT - and you my dear have found one! <3

Kimberly
January 14th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I still envy your hair. :-)

Of the Fae
January 14th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Still thudworthy! I am envious of your amazing shine, texture and length, too! Even at shortest layers above waist!

Nae
January 14th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Whaaaa??? Have you lost your mind, my friend? I have seen your gorgeous new hair cut and it is totally thud worthy. It works for you. It is lovely. You can always grow it back if you want.

Besides.....you are Spidermom. THE Spidermom. I don't say this lightly.....you are pretty much a legend here. You are probably one of the most well-known members on this site. Just because your hair is a bit shorter doesn't mean that you don't have a wealth of information from all the years here. (Plus, it really isn't that short. It is still longer than mine, and fuller, you lucky dog!)

You, my dear, are awesome. If your hair was completely buzzed off you would still be our Spidermom!:crush:

Oh and......:thudpile:

Yozhik
January 14th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I can understand your feelings, although I don't think my hair ever came close to your thud-worthy hair.
To echo others' points, you do still have thud-worthy hair - long hair doesn't necessarily make it so, but rather hair in great condition and well-loved does.
Secondly, not only do you still have thud-worthy hair (and are a hair role-model to many of us), but your trajectory of having incredibly long hair and then cutting back is common and also something that others can look to as an example (and as assurance that it's fine to do what makes you happiest).

I cut my own hair back from BCL-stretched to above waist. It made it curlier and made me happier. Now I'm feeling the long-hair urge again, but I'm more assured that if I get tired of it, I can still cut back to a length that makes me feel happy. If you hadn't cut it, wouldn't you still be wondering (after 2+ years) what it would be like? So at least now you have the experience. :flower:

leslissocool
January 14th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I must be the only crazy one, because I think of your hair as long! Really, isn't it hip?!?

So, it's still long AND still thudworthy!

Anyways, I get what you mean in the sense of maybe you lost the "woah!" fantasy hair/extreme length status, but your advice and overall experience is very valuable, and your hair is still long. It's mostly an identity issue :lol:.

embee
January 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Hugs to spidermom, *our* spidermom! It's hair, to be enjoyed. You're happy with it, that's the important part. You're not here to decorate our world, although we think you do.... :)

SleepyTangles
January 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Well, as a former lurker who had seen your hair both now and then, I just go :thud: every time I see your hair. Nothing changed: beauty is an intuition, not a product of logic. Your hair is stunning, full stop.

I have a similar feeling, though: I don't really plan to grow my hair more than waist, but this just sounds like I am missing something compared to the fabulous ladies here. I just shut away the feeling and ask myself: what I want? Waist. Then waist it is. If tomorrow I wake up wanting hip, then hip will be, too. Same thing I wake wanting APL (not likely, but you never know...) - well after the two week rule :o.
Maybe its just the fear I'll grow tired, or that I'm somehow missing the "fun". No one to get excited with :(
I'm trying to just do this for myself, and to remember that growing is part of the fun because we are creating a bond, not vice versa.

browneyedsusan
January 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Oh
my
GOODNESS! :disbelief

You have my dream hair! I'd give my right arm to roll out of bed with your bedhead! If I didn't know better, I'd think you were just showing off! :thud:

Also, not everyone can grow superlong hair. Yes, I said it out loud. Alopecia, and other health troubles; short terminals, slow growth rates, accumulating mechanical damage, and lots of things make it very difficult to maintain long hair. Plus, at some point it gets too long to be fun anymore. I don't think I'd enjoy fighting constant tangles and wearing it up all the time. (If I did, I'd still be sporting the pixie!) My hair is just beginning to show damage and get caught on things, and I can't imagine how those problems will escalate as it gets longer.

You cut back to where it was healthy and fun! :cheer: Good for you! You can wear it down now without worrying--so much-- about your ends getting beat up or tangling in a bird's nest.

Your hair is completely fabulous!
Don't let anyone tell you any different. :draw:

alexis917
January 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
You have gorgeous hair! And if I recall a picture you posted a while ago after using a dye, a lovely pet snake, too!

spidermom
January 14th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I must be the only crazy one, because I think of your hair as long! Really, isn't it hip?!?

No, I got it cut again. It was in a V-shape at longer than waist at the longest point. Now it's a U-shape with more layers and barely waist length; I think I need about an inch for true waist length.

Thanks for the pep talk, LHC family. My hair is still pretty, I think. It's just not "wow!" anymore. But it's a lot easier for my current condition, and I'm grateful for that, also grateful not to be in buns 90% of the time. I truly hated buns on me.

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM
For what it is worth...you hair is very thud worthy.
When you posted the pictures of the cut I was blown away by how full and wonderful it looked post cut. It was more this worthy post cut as it had a great shape, had a fullness yet lightness to it. The V cut looked really cool.

I can imagine how hard it is to go from having long hair that you cherished. It is something to show off and be proud of for sure. I can myself always telling people who didn't know "oh my hair used to be past my butt" because in you mind you want them to KNOW what you had. Hehe I'm weird like that.

In a sight where there are so many heads of beautiful really long hair I am sure it is bittersweet to recall your time as "one if them." Hopefully though you can enjoy the new cut knowing that we have your album to view when we want to see the before, and we have the new pics to view as inspiration for a beautiful haircut that really plays up all your hairs best features.

I think aside from having thud worthy hair you have something I value even more. A lot of great advice, a fantastic head on your shoulders. Great wit and general common sense.
I also admire the fact you took the plunge and cut when I know it is hard to let go of something as personal as hair. You made the best choice for you! You showed some of us that although ultra long hair is fabulous, shorter lengths can be fresh and exciting. That we can "let go" have something that suited your lifestyle better, yet still looked amazing.

All this being said, your one of my hair favs. I am sure many who cut understand your feelings so well so you will find a ton if support. And the great thing about hair... You could grow it back if you ever chose to. But never ever will I agree you lost your thud worthy status to me.
I actually feel the same for Lyv and bunnylake. I love their new cuts as admire them as much as when it was long. Thud worthy to me is rocking a great cut no matter the length. I respect the decision to try something new.

swearnsue
January 14th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Your hair is still thud-worthy AND you have a cool tattoo!

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 04:40 PM
No, I got it cut again. It was in a V-shape at longer than waist at the longest point. Now it's a U-shape with more layers and barely waist length; I think I need about an inch for true waist length.

Thanks for the pep talk, LHC family. My hair is still pretty, I think. It's just not "wow!" anymore. But it's a lot easier for my current condition, and I'm grateful for that, also grateful not to be in buns 90% of the time. I truly hated buns on me.

I totally understand that. I would not want to have to wear hair up all the time. I think with you arm issue and the fact you wanted freedom to enjoy hair by wearing it down that you did the right thing.
With the cut you have, you have best of both worlds. Long hair. And yes it is still considered quite long at almost waist, yet hair that can be worn down anytime you choose.

I remember you once posted your daughter felt sorry for you that you were so limited in styles because all you had was buns. That stuck with me. I know on here I read how some feel short hair only has one style but long hair has many. But sometimes it is forgotten that to general population a bun is a bun. You may have 40 different buns , braids and updos in your arsenal, but to the general world all they see is "bun" and "matronly" sometimes. We here get the difference but not everyone does. As a matter of fact after spending so much time on boards I have decided on a much shorter goal length that I thought i wanted. I decided I don't want to spend hours air drying , de tangling etc etc. With my lifestyle I need something more practical for me so now my goal is extremely healthy, shiny hair.

This is is a long hair forum yes, but in the general styling world everything past shoulder is long lol. I think people here respect any length. My hair idols are all based on condition, not length.

schnibbles
January 14th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Ah, sorry you are a little bit sad, Spidermom. I think your hair is thud-worthy, when I saw your bedhead pic the other day I think I audibly gasped.
Don't worry, your curls alone are sensational.

slynr
January 14th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Your hair is one of the best here and I have always admired it and still do.

Carolyn
January 14th, 2014, 05:00 PM
My dear, your hair IS thudworthy now. It always has been. Thudworthy is not just about length but more about the quality. You have gorgeous color and thickness and texture. I've seen a lot of hair here that is bcl and longer and I find some of it cringeworthy, not thudworthy. It's not all thudworthy just because of the length. My hair isn't all that when it gets past hip length. I discovered I didn't like it all that much when it got past hip length. I used to feel something was wrong with me for not wanting to go longer and go on to terminal length. I'm much happier now with above waist hair. Is it thudworthy? Maybe. But I don't really care if it is or not.

You've experimented with all sorts of styles and lengths. Now due to your arm issue you've opted to make life easier for yourself. Nothing wrong with that at all! You still have long hair and it's still thudworthy.

Micayla47
January 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM
even though the other posters have already said it, i wanted to chime in and say i love your thick, healthy, shiny, beautiful hair! i saw the newest cut on your blog a couple days ago and you look fantastic. :thud:

leslissocool
January 14th, 2014, 05:38 PM

I see, but I think we have discussed many times how most people would consider your hair long. Honestly, I still consider it long :shrug:.

Personally, I think the fact that (to put it in metal terms) you went to hell and back :rockerdude: means you do have that status. Hair grows, if you ever want to grow it again, but I think I'll be similar to you: grow to my goal, and cut back to the length I like best if I get annoyed with it or have issues.

I think the biggest inspiration is to see no matter what length your fine hair is in optimal condition. I mean, if that's not thudworthy I don't know what is!

renarok
January 14th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Well, the hard reality is my hair just wont ever grow to thud worthy lengths. So that is kinda sad. Your hair is still really lovely and you can at least comfort yourself with the knowledge that with time yours can grow again if you choose. That is a happy thought isn't it?

jasper
January 14th, 2014, 05:53 PM
What is this thud? The sound hair makes when it is long enough to hit the floor? Nope! Thud-worthiness does not depend on length.

sumidha
January 14th, 2014, 06:02 PM
For me, I always enjoy quality over quantity, and your hair is gorgeous! Even at waist, it's still long, thick and lovely, and I'll bet you don't have a single split end! :heartbeat

kme81
January 14th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I can understand why you feel that way...those seemingly silly things that we think shouldn't make a difference, but they really do... sigh. :( I would be lying if I said I wasn't sad when you cut your hair. :)

Anyways, I just have to add:
Your hair has been one of my favorites here ever since I joined. It still is! The length may not be as impressive as it once was, but the the thickness and texture and overall beauty more than makes up for it!

woodswanderer
January 14th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Spidermom, I know how you feel. I recall a time years ago when I was hemming and hawing over whether to cut off my hair and I was worried I wouldn't be special anymore. I understood it it was absurd to think that way, but I still FELT that way. The feeling passes, and your hair is still lovely, and your advice is still gold.

Unicorn
January 14th, 2014, 07:00 PM
You're not here to decorate our world, although we think you do....

I just had to repeat this.

Spidermom you absolutely do still have thudworthy hair. I still slow down on a thread, and go back to look again before closing a thread, when you have hair pic up. This has been true since my early days at LHC, your cuts certainly haven't changed that.

I'm another who :agape: on the "bedhead" thread.

Unicorn

selderon
January 14th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Where are these updated pics? I bet I would still find your hair thudworthy!

The little bit I can see in your sig is sigh-worthy. <3

turtlelover
January 14th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Your hair is still really long and pretty, and certainly worthy of admiration. I think QUALITY is more important than length. I've seen fabulous shoulder length hair, and BLAH classic length hair. Longer to me does NOT equal better!

ravenreed
January 14th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Length isn't what makes hair-thudworthy to me, so I confess that I am having trouble understanding. All I can say is that I am another admirer of The Spidermom mane, and I hope your injury clears up so you can get back to what makes you happy.

AmyBeth
January 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I'm sorrier about the DeQuervain's syndrome! I've been suffering for almost 2 years, and that is more painful than any hair issues, in my book. I have actually been fortunate enough to be able to change my work enough to have gotten it licked without surgery.
As for your hair, it is still quite thud-worthy. Do you know what many of us would give to have such thick, healthy hair as yours? And you can theoretically grow it back to classic, if that's what you want. I was able to conquer DeQuervain's, but there's nothing I can do about my thin wimpy hair, with its terminal-at-hip-length. I'm still pea green!

MeganE
January 14th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Spidermom, you reached thudworthy, you will always be thudworthy. In my book, you would retain that status even if you were bald.

lunalocks
January 14th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I looked a long time, yesterday, at you bed head hair, and said to myself - if my hair looked like that at waist and layered, I would do it in a minute. It is stunning.

That said, you might find growing it a l i t t l e bit longer and layered will work well for you. Looks terrific as is, tho.

MeganE
January 14th, 2014, 09:05 PM
well now I have to go see this marvelous bedhead picture.... can we expect to see it on the cover of a magazine any time soon? :)

Edit: I found it! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118836&highlight=bedhead

Now.... I thudded but for a different reason. Except for the coloring, your hair looks unexpectedly like mine did when it had enough layers in it to let the waves out. Which I find reaaaally exciting!! That is how much you're still thudworthy to me. :) Like I can't comprehend that my hair could look anything like yours.

How did I never realize we were hair twins? I just washed it and I think I'm going to sleep with it wet and flopped over my pillow to see what happens!

GoddesJourney
January 14th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Well, I bet it's in amazing condition. Now you have plenty of time for your injury to heal while it grows back out. It takes awhile to get out of that inflammatory cycle anyway. Also, your hair is still very long by a lot of standards but I'm sure you take better care of it than others, which is why it looks the way it does. No worries.

Kaelee
January 14th, 2014, 09:50 PM
What's best for you and your hair is what's important, not what others think. :)

Your hair is absolutely stunning by the way. :agree:

Angela_Rose
January 14th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Spidermom, dear Spidermom. You have always been and will always be thudworthy.
You have been a longhair idol and inspiration to me throughout my tenure here, and you would be so if you suddenly decided to buzz all of your hair off and start over.

And you know what? I think that, by going shorter and possibly starting over, you will be able to provide more valuable experience and knowledge to fledgling longhairs.

spidermom
January 14th, 2014, 09:58 PM
It's probably the De Quervain's that's really getting me down. I can't do any of my favorite activities without pain. I'm always using my hands, puttering from project to project. Now I feel like a useless lump! With short hair.

ravenreed
January 14th, 2014, 11:10 PM
:blossom::grouphug:

It's probably the De Quervain's that's really getting me down. I can't do any of my favorite activities without pain. I'm always using my hands, puttering from project to project. Now I feel like a useless lump! With short hair.

long&blonde
January 14th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Spidermom, I gasped out loud when I saw your bed head photo the other day. Your Hair is definitely still thudworthy.

Loviatar
January 15th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Dearest Spidermom! Length does not equal thudworthiness IMO. Beauty does. And your hair has that in abundance. It gleams with health and looks fabulous curly, wavy, or straight.

I'm sorry you're suffering with the De Quervains - it does sound horrible. I shall continue to pray and hope for improvements. :flower: I hope you can find new favourite things to do hair wise. If you're sick of buns, it's now at a brilliant length for loose mane wearing!! (I have spiderhair envy)

Your hair is definitely still thudworthy! This may be a forum about long hair, but yours is also still long. Longer does not equal more beautiful to me.

And now I have to go check out this bed head thread which I have missed!

didrash
January 15th, 2014, 03:31 AM
No, you did not lose it. Your hair is as incredible as ever - what you have lost in length you have gained in health. You are, and always will be, thudworthy!

lapushka
January 15th, 2014, 03:57 AM
So why am I a little sad? I've lost thud-worthy status with LHC.

I told you it's the most stupid thing ever, but I know others have grown extra-long, then cut back. How do you feel about it?

I'm sure you haven't lost a thing! Layered, shorter (and waist isn't short BTW) hair isn't less thudworthy as long all-one-length hair is. Why would it be. Sure, that type of hair might be harder to see in daily life, and waist length might be more "common", but... hey, it's still thudworthy in my book. I had almost TBL hair at one point, on my way to classic, and then... I had it cut back to hip, then to waist, and then on top of that, I had it layered not long after that. It felt *good*. And now I'm growing back, layered I might add, because I love the layers. It's different, but it's not "less", IYKWIM.

browneyedsusan
January 15th, 2014, 05:58 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling blue and that your hands are bothering you. I have a similar lifestyle, and it would get to me too.

FWIW: my friends now think of me as "long-haired". In today's society you are uber-long-haired! TLHC causes a touch of hair dysmorphia IMHO. Look around. How many ladies have hair as long as yours IRL? How many are your age or older? You're looking great, Spidermom.

I hope you have some better days with your hands. :grouphug:

Avital88
January 15th, 2014, 06:32 AM
ahh i get how you feel, actually im in the same boat.. but then your hair must look healthier at this length which is thudworthy enough not?
and everyone knows what a great hair you have even though its a little shorter now!

Rio040113
January 15th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Your hair is one of the best here and I have always admired it and still do.

I have to second this and add that I hope someday I'll love my own hair as much as I love yours! You're literally LHC famous, I've 'thudded' over your hair many times since I started lurking here 2+ years ago and that hasn't changed, nor will it. Plus I'm yet another admirer of that bedhead picture, which is now becoming famous in its own right as well :lol:

Also, I really do hope you get some relief with your hand soon :grouphug:

truepeacenik
January 15th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I think length is the first thud we think about but healthy hair that is simple to live with certainly earns thuds, too. Color, ends, styles, all get thuds.

I also think that sometimes, as our own hair grows, we raise the thud bar unconsciously.

So, while it isn't thudworthy toyou, it is to someone else.
You are still an inspiration, and fountain of knowledge and good sense.

Side note, and apologies if it is up thread, I'm on a small screen, is the RM syndrome reversible with therapy, time or interventions? Or at least manageable?

YamaMaya
January 15th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Your hair is still lovely, you shouldn't feel sad for your hair, I am still envious as my stupid hair is all over the place and uneven at the moment.

AmyBeth
January 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM

It is nothing short of horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I had gone to the MD about it, and got really useless physical therapy. What really really helped quickly was just stopping everything and anything that bothered it. Because it just hurt too badly to use it at all. I am lucky to be self employed and able also to hire people to do what I could no longer do. I would have had to take a disability leave otherwise. Humans evolved with the opposable thumb and when you see stars from pain when you try to use it is not productive. Being useless might actually be the most productive thing to do right now, if you can! It really is horrible. I'd been getting worse and worse for 2 years next month, and it only took a month to really feel better.

spidermom
January 15th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I appreciate someone who understands the problem, AmyBeth. PT/OT did improve me to a point, then I plateaued. Now I've had a cortisone injection; OMG how painful! Not using it is hard; I'm using it right now. Must stop!

heidi w.
January 15th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I'm glad you still like your hair tho it's a bit shorter. It's still nice hair.
heidi w.

chen bao jun
January 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I never had deQuervain's but I did have tendinitis/carpal tunnel so badly that I was crippled for more than a year. I couldn't drive, clean, or cook my own meals, had to buy special shoes because I couldn't tie the shoe laces on regular ones and all kinds of special knives and other tools, so I have some sense of what you're going through.
With me, what I felt made me special was being a very good pianist and all of a sudden, I couldn't play at all--and could barely take care of myself either.
PT seemed useless for a long time, although it was in PT that they eventually figured out that I had nerve damage from a disc also, which turned out to be why I wasn't getting better from just the PT.
I can understand that that BOTH suddenly being crippled and not having something that made you stand out and made you feel special.
For me, it worked out being a very good thing that I was incapacitated as it made me slow down and think about what was important in my life and what really made me special. I read the Bible constantly that year (reading was the only thing I could really do) and began to think of myself as being special as a child of God, not because I had whatever gift or talent that I suddenly couldn't do. (I also had to give up calligraphy, sewing, knitting, embroidery--and my teaching job). Much of this turned out to be temporary but I still can't play the piano the way I once did and sometimes feel sad when I realize that most people who know me now don't even know I ever could play the way I used to . But I am still ME, which is not how I look or what I do and I know that now is a very real way.

Amahaitz
January 15th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Spidermom, your hair is BEAUTIFUL. I would give so much for mine to look like yours!

Agnes Hannah
January 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Spidermom, your hair is truly beautiful, the colour the condition, and the length. I have just looked at your bedhead pic and OMG!, Just when I thought nothing could grab me anymore, you do just that! And you are one of the nicest people I have met online too. Your hair has grown since your cut too.

Agnes Hannah
January 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
ps TOTALLY THUDWORTHY TOO. Spidermom rocks!

Skade
January 15th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Saw your hair on the bedhead thread, and your hair is still so thudworthy! :thud:

spidermom
January 15th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks again, LHC family; I feel better.

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I basically did about the same thing and I actually felt the same way. For so many years I posted my yearly progress anniversary pictures but then after my first big layer to chop I stopped. It makes me sad now to realize or think about what my hair would look like today if I hadn't had those two big chop urges.