PDA

View Full Version : Which is worst-to leave hair down & go outside with wet hair or blow drying?

Yedda
January 14th, 2014, 01:15 AM
I am starting a new routine. Basically I will go to the gym before work. Most likely I will need to take a shower/wash my hair after exercising, but then I have a dilemma. (My hair is fine an oily. I have not been working out much and therefore not washing my hair as much, but I think working out will bring my scalp to a point I'll have to wash on most days.)

I do not have time to blow dry my hair on a cool setting or let it air dry. I barely have enough time to go the gym so I want to get ready for work as quickly as possible.

I'm assuming it is not a good idea to put my hair up when it is soaking wet.

I'm also assuming it would be damaging to go outside in the cold winter with wet hair, and then wear my hair down all day. I use to do this, and this would be the easiest option for me LOL.

So, any suggestions? :idea: Maybe I am making things too difficult...:confused:

Nini
January 14th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Put it up while going from the gym to work, then let it down. Problem solved;)

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I am starting a new routine. Basically I will go to the gym before work. Most likely I will need to take a shower/wash my hair after exercising, but then I have a dilemma. (My hair is fine an oily. I have not been working out much and therefore not washing my hair as much, but I think working out will bring my scalp to a point I'll have to wash on most days.)

I do not have time to blow dry my hair on a cool setting or let it air dry. I barely have enough time to go the gym so I want to get ready for work as quickly as possible.

I'm also assuming it would be damaging to go outside in the cold winter with wet hair, and then wear my hair down all day. I use to do this, and this would be the easiest option for me LOL.

that is tough dilemma. Either dry shampoo after workout and shower at night.. Or blow dry at least a little. Wet hair in winter us no fun. Can you turbie towel in car all way to work and blow dry once it's mostly dry once you get to work? Should be faster since hair would be damp and not soaking wet.

I've always been lucky to work in small offices mostly alone so I had all kind of options to do hair at work so I am not much help.

If you left gym with wet hair..how long would it take to dry? Can you work with wet hair?
that would be what helped me make decision, knowing what my choices were at office

Quixii
January 14th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Personally, my hair doesn't really care if I put it up when wet. It doesn't like blow drying, though.
Perhaps just experiment and see how your hair does with different options.
I prefer to stay away from any heat tools, but perhaps you could blow-dry on cool just long enough to get it to the "damp" state instead of "sopping wet," which you might be more comfortable dealing with (either up or down).

AcornMystic
January 14th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Actually, putting your hair up damp is good. Growing up I would braid my hair after wash night. These days I mist my hair everynight before bed then coat it in a light mix of almond and rosemary oil to lock in the moisture and then twin braid to help keep it moisturized. If it's the day before I plan to wash then I may put a slightly heavier coat. I wake up and take them out my hair feels wonderfully soft and almost completely dry. Just pad at your hair with a towel to get excess water out so therefore it is not soaked. That should fix your problem. Cheers! :)

tigereye
January 14th, 2014, 02:59 AM

I go out with my hair wet. It would take me hours to blow dry it, and detangle the birds nest the blow dryer turns it into. I always put it up (with a glass stick so nothing catches). Going out with my wet hair in a bun in this weather not only prevents frizz from hell, but more importantly, my hair is less likely to freeze because of the heat from my heat, and I'm less likely to get cold water dripping down my back on a freezing day (not good for you).

I never had any issues with wet bunning. It takes longer to dry, but I've not seem any damage or anything as long as I detangle thoroughly before I shower and am gentle when putting it up.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 14th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Can you just have a quick shower at the gym but not wash your hair until after work when you get home?

Anje
January 14th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Bun it wet and put a hat on if it's likely to freeze. (Not sure what your winter is. Mine here would freeze some days.) Let it down when you get back inside to dry. Some people at wet bun constantly, but my scalp wouldn't be fond of that and eventually you risk musty hair (maybe hygral fatigue, but I've heard enough daily wet bunners to feel it affects some people and not others).

Yedda
January 14th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Hmmm...Okay I think I will try to bun while damp/wet and see how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for the input! :)