PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, I have a few questions :)

jo_jo_1uk
January 13th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I've had long(ish) hair on and off all my life, over the last year and a half or so I've doing a lot of messing with my hair resulting in me having about 8 inches off which took it to APL. I'm back to just below BSL now and looking to go HL before my wedding in Sept 2015. I'm currently clarifying with baby shampoo, hair feels thicker (it can be quite flat) but ends are quite dry, I'm really intrigued by using natural oils? I've also started wearing my hair braided at night. So anyone any other suggestions or what do you do to keep your hair in tiptop conditon? Many Thanks :)

kganihanova
January 13th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I've tried to minimize brushing/combing as much as possible and its really helped with thickness. Also frequent S and Ding, i.e. making sure that there are no splits preventing your hair from reaching its full potential :)

Optional:
Biotin/Hair Supplements.
Approach these with caution but personally, I found that taking a reasonable dosage really helped. I also take a multivitamin. However, YMMV and you may not actually need supplements.
Oils:
They don't work for everyone, but try them out. I love coconut oil but some people have problems with it. I'd suggest starting with lighter oils than moving to heavier ones if the lighter ones feel too light.

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I've had long(ish) hair on and off all my life, over the last year and a half or so I've doing a lot of messing with my hair resulting in me having about 8 inches off which took it to APL. I'm back to just below BSL now and looking to go HL before my wedding in Sept 2015. I'm currently clarifying with baby shampoo, hair feels thicker (it can be quite flat) but ends are quite dry, I'm really intrigued by using natural oils? I've also started wearing my hair braided at night. So anyone any other suggestions or what do you do to keep your hair in tiptop conditon? Many Thanks :)

How often do you wash with the baby shampoo? I have always read it is too alkaline for adult hair.
Perhaps that is causing the dryness.?

As as far as oils I love coconut , olive , avocado for strengthing and protecting. I use as pre wash treatments applied to dry hair 8-12 hrs prior to washing. And a variety of other oils post wash. I do this because I stopped cones and it helps my hair texture. I also found adding honey to conditioners is great for moisturizing my hair. Those tiny changes helped hair feel sooo much better and look a lot better too.

animetor7
January 14th, 2014, 12:20 AM
I'd say try diluting your shampoo, that can work wonders for dry ends, as can switching off between CO washing and shampoo washing, provided that COing works for you. I second coconut oil use, but be careful not to overuse it or any other natural oils.

jo_jo_1uk
January 20th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Thank you all for the replies, I've tried CO before doesn't suit me I have really greasy roots :/ what shampoo's do you all use?

lapushka
January 20th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for the replies, I've tried CO before doesn't suit me I have really greasy roots :/ what shampoo's do you all use?

That depends. Do you need a sulfate shampoo or a sulfate free one?

What I use is either:
- Pantene Aqua Light
- Pantene volumizing shampoo
- Herbal Essences Dazzling shine

They are all sulfate shampoos without silicones.

hairpleasegrow
January 20th, 2014, 04:40 PM
i am a new member and i'm growing my hair out too. i just had about 5 inches cut off due to pregnancy and alot of shedding. i use bamboo shampoo by altena- no sulphates, phthalates or paragons. the conditioner is good it has cones though. you can get it at sephora.

i recommend not using a hairdryer and try argan oil. dont brush when wet. treat your hair like an antique lace.

get a satin pillowcase. i have heard cat nip rinses are good i havent tried them yet but i read lots of good things on lhc good luck with your hair goals :)

hairpleasegrow
January 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM
sorry i meant parabens not paragons ^ :)

ErinLeigh
January 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM
satin pillowcases really did help me with breakage and frizz issues. I was surprised they made such a difference!
Hoping to try silk next :)

OP congratulations on the upcoming wedding.
I think you will be just fine. You don't want to to do too much to hair and overwhelm so little things like satin cases, brushing less etc really become helpful to overall appearance. I love the LOC method personally for preventing dry hair.

If you do want to start oils, if it helps you to hear experience stories.. I started with Olive. I had it in the kitchen already. It made a great detangler but what I noticed more was the other benefits I got. Shine, less frizz, stronger hair. I had fried my hair right before a vacation. I couldn't get a comb thru it. I was cooking with olive oil and flashed back to something I had read online about some people oiling their hair. I decided to try it and applied to dry hair. I was finally able to detangle for first time! I went on vacation next day and pack the olive oil in a mister bottle. Over the 6 day vacation I applied the oil every day to my hair. I did it daily just because I had no other choice really. Hair was beyond ruined.. I did not have time for a haircut before I left so I had to make due. By the time I got back home a week later I had a pretty good improvement in hair texture. I started researching to find out why and I think that may have been what led me here.

My love for oils grew after seeing the results from the olive. It has now become part of my routine. I use the penetrating oils for a pre wash and the lighter oils as a post conditioning sealer. So far so good and I am pretty happy. The oils plus a major haircut saved my hair.

I think one a week a nice overnight pre wash oiling would be helpful for someone who has normal hair. I find conditioner is the best way to remove it though. I do a co wash once a week after a pretty heavy overnight oiling and with great results. I too get more oily looking hair if I co wash all the time, but once a week is just right for me. Gives my hair a break, removes the oil, and gives me a moisture boost IMO. I use Shampoo and conditioner rest of the week and it seems to still remove things just fine however. Oh, I also clarify once a month since oils can build up on me.

As far as shampoos, do you prefer sulfate or other types of shampoo?
I mostly prefer sulfate free low poo type shampoo but I do throw some sulfate washes in occasionally.

I speak not as a long hair but just as someone who turned around some pretty major damage. For long hair I am sure there are many things I have yet to learn..but I cannot wait to find out.

jo_jo_1uk
January 21st, 2014, 01:56 PM
Wow, thanks again for all your replies :) I'm not sure whether I prefer a sulphate or no sulphate shampoo? What are the advantages of no sulphate shampoo's? My scalp is very sensitive and my roots go greasy the day after washing would a no sulphate shampoo help with either of these issues?

lapushka
January 21st, 2014, 02:33 PM
Wow, thanks again for all your replies :) I'm not sure whether I prefer a sulphate or no sulphate shampoo? What are the advantages of no sulphate shampoo's? My scalp is very sensitive and my roots go greasy the day after washing would a no sulphate shampoo help with either of these issues?

With the sensitive scalp? Maybe. With the greasies? No. On the contrary.

jo_jo_1uk
January 26th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Well I've been using loreal everpure colour care shampoo which is no sulphate and so far so good :)