PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatment- and hair looks worse

lind01
September 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Why does protein do damage to hair instead of help it? I'm confused. I thought I needed protein, but ever since I did a protein treatment, my hair has seemed in worse condition.
Anyone know what it does it do to the hair?

Unnamed
September 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm assuming you mean dry, crunchy, brittle feeling, right? If so, that's pretty normal after any kind of protein treatment.

Did you do a moisture treatment after? If not, that's why. Give your hair lots of moisture, and it should bounce back, and next time do a moisture treatment right after the protein one.

My hair hates protein except for once every 2-6 months I'll give it...something. Otherwise I avoid protein in products. Even coconut oil makes it brittle, and that just helps hair hold onto its protein, not adding any!

But, yeah, moisture! An SMT would probably be great. ;) If you still have issues after more than a few tries at that, you might try clarifying and then moisture. Others might have other suggestions.

Anje
September 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Just another vote to do an SMT (or some other seriously moisturizing treatment) ASAP. You always want to follow protein up with a moisturizing treatment, because it's typical that it makes hair dry.

For people who don't have protein-depleted hair (from perming/relaxing, bleaching, massive dyeing, etc.), I'm not sure protein treatments are even all that beneficial most of the time. I'd say wait til your hair feels weak in a strange, stretchy sort of way before doing another protein treatment.

Kirin
September 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Protein treatments are great for damaged, porous and weak hair. However on healthy hair, added protein can stiffen the hair shaft, and dry it out completely giving it a foreign texture that is difficult to deal with.

the treatment for this is moisture. My recommendation is to Conditioner only wash for at least a week, doing at least two moisture treatments (deep treatments either SMTs or a cholesterol treatment). The texture should improve significantly.

Delila
September 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Just chiming in with more 'follow protein treatments with moisture' advice.

When I use protein as part of a deep treatment, I always follow with a deeply moisturizing conditioner.

spidermom
September 10th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Here is what protein and moisture treatments do. Hair is composed of a long chain of molecules that includes, among other things, amino acids (protein) and essential fatty acids (EFAs). As hair weathers and gets damaged, some of those molecules get eroded away and you end up with gaps in the structure. Protein treatments help to fill in some of the amino acid needs, then you need moisture, such as oil (rich in EFAs) or a deep treatment to fill in the EFA gaps. Moisture treatments penetrate better with heat, but you don't need heat for a protein treatment. My stylist always does a protein treatment first, then moisture covered with a shower cap and under the dryer. Always do protein first, then moisture, as everyone else has been saying here.

lind01
September 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks so much everybody, your responses were very helpful!

Darkhorse1
September 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Weird. I had the same problem and thought I did something wrong. Good advice here! :)

mcelweewife
September 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Just another vote to do an SMT (or some other seriously moisturizing treatment) ASAP. You always want to follow protein up with a moisturizing treatment, because it's typical that it makes hair dry.

perming/For people who don't have protein-depleted hair (fromrelaxing, bleaching, massive dyeing, etc.), I'm not sure protein treatments are even all that beneficial most of the time. I'd say wait til your hair feels weak in a strange, stretchy sort of way before doing another protein treatment.

VERY good point! I deep condition with protein twice a week, once with UBH conditioner and once with Body Art Quality Henna (BAQH) to build my hair up and thicken it. I ALWAYS saturate my hair in Suave conditioner right after I rinse out the protein treatment. It makes my hair feel normal again and tangle free.