PDA

View Full Version : Those who are growing 1 inch per month...please share!

Eve 322
January 12th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I am trying to increase my growth rate, and I was wondering if those ladies (or dudes!) that are growing one or more (!) inches per month would please share their hair care routines!

I'm sure everyone would benefit from the fast growers sharing their washing method and detangling/brushing method. What styles do you wear for day and for sleep? What oils or deep treatments do you do? Is there anything notable that you're doing with your diet or vitamin/supplement intake?

The growing masses want to know! :D

UltraBella
January 12th, 2014, 11:23 PM
I'm fairly certain mine growth rate is hereditary. I easily grow an inch a month all year round and it's kind of a shame because I don't desire long hair anymore. It makes it hard to keep the shape of some shorter cuts. I don't do anything special with my hair care or routine, so I'm not any help there but I'm sure many others will be.

Eve 322
January 12th, 2014, 11:33 PM
I had meant to add to my post, I know some of it is just genes, but I've heard tell of people changing their growth rate around these forums, and I'm curious to see if I can do anything to accelerate mine.

I'm happy enough with my .6 inches per month rate, but I'd love & adore having an inch per month. I'd get to classic in less than a year!

Lyv
January 12th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I usually average about an inch a month (less in winter though) which was nice until I cut it now it's already over my ears and heading towards an awkward stage haha. I do a few things for my hair but I don't know that any of them actually help my hair growth because it's always been fast and I just started measuring last year.

-Biotin and GNC Vitapak with breakfast
-Lots of protein and generally healthy diet
-exercise daily
-at least 2 liters of water a day
-CWC and coconut oil prewash every 3 days
-scritch every night
-brush with BBB (100 strokes) after scritching
-daily scalp massage
-no heat and minimal hair products

askan
January 13th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Lyv, that's interesting! Whenever I see your signature I am amazed that you could go from a-line bob to past BSL in two years! Anything more than 0,4 inches is unbelievable to me, haha. It took me a long time to realise that people who reported an inch per month were actually serious. But you also seem to have an ambitious routine, thanks for sharing :)

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I keep my hairfollicles clean, don't put any products at all on my scalp. I use shea butter every day on the length to moisturize and keep my hair up. All of the things Lyv said. I massage my scalp every evening after I've taken my hair down. I handle my hair as little as possible to avoid damage.

jacqueline101
January 13th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Let's see:
1 multi vitamin
1 flaxseed
1 msm
1 biotin
1 super b vitamin
1 cranberry pill
1 acidophilus pill
1 nv diet pill
Monday Wednesday Friday monistat and leave in conditioner
Wear in protective up dos daily monthly washes
Monthly lustrasilk cholesterol with Shea butter mango
Monthly Aussie 3 mm
Eat three meals, drink water, stay active.

Haybop
January 13th, 2014, 05:20 AM
How do you remember to take all those pills?! I had to start sticking my multivits next to the kettle for me to remember to take them... and that only lasted a week before they became part of the background & forgotten about :S

Lyv
January 13th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Lyv, that's interesting! Whenever I see your signature I am amazed that you could go from a-line bob to past BSL in two years! Anything more than 0,4 inches is unbelievable to me, haha. It took me a long time to realise that people who reported an inch per month were actually serious. But you also seem to have an ambitious routine, thanks for sharing :)

ETA: sorry for double post! :/

I was surprised when I realized how much it had grown honestly especially since I had 6 inches cut off in between pictures lol. I don't know that my routine does much for growth tbh I use biotin for my skin and the other stuff I do to keep my scalp from itching and getting flaky.

How do you remember to take all those pills?! I had to start sticking my multivits next to the kettle for me to remember to take them... and that only lasted a week before they became part of the background & forgotten about :S

I'm the same way I have to put my pills on my tv stand in the living room so I see it everyday lol.

JessicaAnn
January 13th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Mine grows between .75 and 1.25 inches per month, just depending on the month. I've recently been doing protein shakes and taking biotin on top of my normal multi-vitamin to try and push it to that upper limit on a more regular basis. I've taken a generic multi-vitamin (actually its a prenatal, but I needed the extra iron and it was easier to take the one pill than add an extra iron pill) for years, so that may have something to do with it. Other than that I just try to take a walk every day to get a little exercise and sunshine and get some good stuff in my diet. I was my hair every other day, max, and I sometimes manage to stretch it longer on the weekends if I'm not going anywhere in particular.

I also play with my hair all the time. I seriously can't keep my hands out of it. If I'm sitting in my office working out a problem or thinking about something I find myself fluffing the back of my hair or rubbing/scritching my scalp. The same thing goes for when I'm sitting at home reading or watching TV/ listening to music, or sitting at a long stop light. Sometimes I even catch myself doing it if I'm having a hard time going to sleep. I also have a bad habit of twisting my fringe around my fingers when it gets long, which does cause some breakage. But I trim those every few months anyway so I'm willing to let myself have that one bad hair habit.

Eve 322
January 13th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I'd like to mention that I actually grew .7-.75 inches this post month! Today is measure & length shot day for January, and I've hit 32" way early! The only thing I've changed is that I've been taking a multivitamin. I notice that you all have also been taking vitamins, and I think I'm really interested in adding biotin to my daily intake. How many mgs do you guys take per day?

Lyv
January 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I'd like to mention that I actually grew .7-.75 inches this post month! Today is measure & length shot day for January, and I've hit 32" early! The only thing I've changed is that I've been taking a multivitamin. I notice that you all have also been taking vitamins, and I think I'm really interested in adding biotin to my daily intake. How many mgs do you guys take per day?

I take 5,000 mcg. If you take it be sure to drink a lot of water to help with any breakouts you might get and start at a low dose and work your way up. .75" is great growth!!

Eve 322
January 13th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I take 5,000 mcg. If you take it be sure to drink a lot of water to help with any breakouts you might get and start at a low dose and work your way up. .75" is great growth!!

Ok thank you! I really am so excited, I usually grow .5-.6 inches, I was "supposed" to be around 31.75" but I hit a solid 32" instead. So happy!! Hopefully I can keep this up :D

blue_eyes
January 13th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I've been taking 2000 mcg of MSM and 5000 mcg of Biotin for about 6 months now and haven't noticed a difference in my growth, I'm still getting 0.5 inches a month. I've also been sleeping with castor oil on my scalp a couple times a month, but I haven't noticed that helping either. My new growth is amazing though, just not happening any faster than normal. I haven't been taking a multivitamin, and I don't have a huge protein intake either, so that's probably making a big difference. I'm going to start doing both and see if that improves my growth at all.

jacqueline101
January 13th, 2014, 11:42 AM

I put them in a weekly pill box.

Arete
January 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I wash my hair every 7-10 days
When I brush , I'm careful not to tug or pull on any tangles, but work them out with my fingers. Sometimes I brush everyday depending upon what I'm doing with my hair. Sometimes I'll go a week without if it doesn't need it.
I take out elastics and ties carefully so as to not break hairs.
I sleep with it down
I do lots of different things with my hair. Mos common is a side braid. I do lots of braided styles and rarely wear it all up (hurts my head). I like half ups though.

Otherwise, I don't do that much for my hair. I've been considering biotin because I want to just get to hip already, but I should be there by June, so the wait isn't too bad.

I guess I'm kind of mean to my hair compared to some people here. I've never had issues with growing or lots of damage so I've just let it do its thing. I'm curious how long and can go though. When I get to hip I may start being more proactive about being good to my hair, but for now... :shrug:

Eve 322
January 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I wash my hair every 7-10 days
When I brush , I'm careful not to tug or pull on any tangles, but work them out with my fingers. Sometimes I brush everyday depending upon what I'm doing with my hair. Sometimes I'll go a week without if it doesn't need it.
I take out elastics and ties carefully so as to not break hairs.
I sleep with it down
I do lots of different things with my hair. Mos common is a side braid. I do lots of braided styles and rarely wear it all up (hurts my head). I like half ups though.

Otherwise, I don't do that much for my hair. I've been considering biotin because I want to just get to hip already, but I should be there by June, so the wait isn't too bad.

I guess I'm kind of mean to my hair compared to some people here. I've never had issues with growing or lots of damage so I've just let it do its thing. I'm curious how long and can go though. When I get to hip I may start being more proactive about being good to my hair, but for now... :shrug:

You must really be tall if 32" isn't hip on you! I'm 5'4" and 32" and nearly BCL!

leslissocool
January 13th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I can help. When I came to LHC my hair was so damaged and I was NOT eating correctly!

Anyways, I was still in blood thinners (high blood pressure). So I changed my eating (I went first to low carb eating, lost a ton of weight, then started to increase carbs, still lower than most but about 100g's a day but I eat low GI). It was here in this board that I was told I might have insulin issues (I was eating like a diabetic while pregnant for a short while, I wonder if I really should have been eating that way all along). I got some tests done, and sure enough I was able to get off the blood thinners (I still have hypertension issues since it's stress related, I don't take pills though).

While managing my hypertension and stress, my hair growth doubled going to 1 inch per month. My nails grow like crazy, before they would just break. So for me, higher protein (70 to over 100gs), fresh veggies and some fruit paired with fat like peanut butter, along with exercise completely changed my hair growth. This year alone, with microtrims, I was really able to see my hair growth at it's full.

I do think it's genes, but nutrition IMO it's important to reach your genetic potential. I take a prenatal vitamin, and that's really it. I manage my anemia too, and that made a huge difference. I think it's more about the food than the vitamins, vitamins should be extra.

HairFaerie
January 13th, 2014, 01:13 PM
In the winter I get almost two inches a month. Unfortunately, I do absolutely nothing different. In the other months I get between 1/2 and 1 inch per month. I do everything the same all year around, so I really can't explain the fluctuation in growth rate.

Sorry, I am really of no help then, am I?

I think a lot of it might be genetics and your own body's growth cycle. If you are not eating well and not drinking enough water, that might slow down growth potentially.

Tota
January 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Eating a clean diet (avoiding processed food),
limiting carbs,
eating a lot of raw veggies and fruit, seeds and nuts,
drinking a lot of water/green tea/rooibos tea,
daily activity (short intensive bursts of energy work for me),
scalp massages,
spirulina, chlorella and fish oil.

It took a while for my body to adapt to this but after approx. 3-4 months my hair and nailst started growing like crazy :) And I feel a lot better, too.

ExpectoPatronum
January 13th, 2014, 01:42 PM
My dad's side of the family all grow hair fairly quickly, so I think part of my growth rate is genetic.

Honestly, the thing that helps me the most is a healthy diet. I do notice a decrease in growth rate if I've had a bad month where I wasn't eating right. I make sure to eat protein with every meal and to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I do not take any supplements as getting nutrients from your diet is the best for your body. Though, to be honest, I've been meaning to add a calcium pill as osteoporosis does occur in my family...

My hair routine isn't anything special either. I wash and condition my hair every other day to every two days. After the shower, I detangle using a tangle teezer and apply a leave in, a smidge of oil, and a cone-y serum. Then I either let it air dry or diffuse it partly dry before I put it in a bun to get some bun waves. I've recently started sleeping with my hair up in a sleep cap, so I'm interested to see if that affects my hair growth. The night before I wash, I do oil my hair and scalp with a bit of olive oil. I'm experimenting with castor oil on my scalp too.

As for styles, I usually either leave my hair down or put it in a braid.

But honestly...I can go through those routines and still not have one inch of growth if my diet has been poor. The routine I follow is mainly to maintain the condition and health of my hair and not to aid in its growth if that makes sense.

Magalo
January 13th, 2014, 01:46 PM
To change your growth rate, you have to make change from the inside. The way you shampoo and how many time you oil has nothing to do with it.

JessicaAnn
January 13th, 2014, 02:00 PM
This is true, but watching how you care for your hair once it has grown can help you maintain the growth every month.

To change your growth rate, you have to make change from the inside. The way you shampoo and how many time you oil has nothing to do with it.

Eve 322
January 13th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Thank you again, everyone! leslissocool, I feel like you're always coming to my hair rescue lol. Such valuable information. My diet has always been high in protein, but recently I've been eating a LOT of fresh fruits and veggies as well. Time will tell if this increases my growth rate. I practice martial arts, but joined a gym this week in order to get better cardio (a new LA Fitness opened up right next to my job...how could I not?). So I will give that a shot as well.

In the past two years, I've gained a little more weight than I'm happy with - almost 20 lbs - so being healthier again is a goal regardless of how my hair grows.

Like I said, I'm happy with my hair and my growth, I just want to see how far I can push my growth rate naturally.

You guys are the best. :)

leslissocool
January 13th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you again, everyone! leslissocool, I feel like you're always coming to my hair rescue lol. Such valuable information. My diet has always been high in protein, but recently I've been eating a LOT of fresh fruits and veggies as well. Time will tell if this increases my growth rate. I practice martial arts, but joined a gym this week in order to get better cardio (a new LA Fitness opened up right next to my job...how could I not?). So I will give that a shot as well.

In the past two years, I've gained a little more weight than I'm happy with - almost 20 lbs - so being healthier again is a goal regardless of how my hair grows.

Like I said, I'm happy with my hair and my growth, I just want to see how far I can push my growth rate naturally.

LOL no worries that's what we are here for, to have people in your corner! Plus I really love your hair color and texture it always catches my eye!

I completely understand, I came here 80lbs overweight, lost them and managed to gain thickness mostly because my eating was so bad. I've always been in my ideal BMI (on the higher side, but not very overweight, and before that I danced for a large number of years) so it wasn't until I had the twins that I ended up overweight and I noticed all my health issues. I had no idea how to eat right, I was eating 35g of protein (as recomended by the food scales in Europe and US). Cutting the processed carbs (pasta, bread, sugar ect) really forced me to eat more protein (not just meat, I LOVE eggs whites since the yellow makes me throw ever since I was pregnant, and I love tofu). I'm very thankful that I was forced to learn how to eat right.

I would try prenatal vitamins, because they are higher in Iron. Eat a lot of broccoli and dark greens (no more lettuce really, the greener the better and add lemon on them) and maybe BCAA's after your workout (they are harder to get through food, most bodybuilders take them after weights). Think nutrient rich. I don't like cheese and other milk products but I drink A LOT milk, I think 3 glasses (1/2 a glass with my coffee, I love coffee). So overall, looking at my eating, I eat like a diabetic clean eater :lol:.

I tried monistat/silica (I stopped because it has a side effect of not gaining muscle, I was trying to gain muscle)/msm/high biotin dose and what really worked was just my eating (I stopped taking bioting over a year ago, it's on my multi so whatever).

Arete
January 13th, 2014, 05:11 PM
You must really be tall if 32" isn't hip on you! I'm 5'4" and 32" and nearly BCL!

I'm just under 5'8, but my torso is 23" shoulder to top of hip, so adding in neck and head hip is 38 (from the hairline). If I just measure from the end of my part in the back and down then hip is 32. I've got a long torso and freakishly long femurs (a little over 19" which is longer than the average male's), so Mid thigh is going to be 4 feet.

Eve 322
January 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM
leslissocoolOmg thank you so much for the compliment! I was feeling less than happy about my hair today, so I really appreciate it!

I'm going to spend this year working out more and experimenting with my diet to see what works with me. Thank you again for all this info! I do think I'm eating too many carbs.

Arete, wow, so neat to see how different the proportionate length markers are on different people! Super interesting. I always wished I was taller, around your height!

Loviatar
January 15th, 2014, 04:55 AM
I'd raise a hand for nutrition. Genetics yes, but I normally grow 0.5 inches a month with a 'normal' diet. I've spent the past two years with a very abnormal one, and don't feel I've grown as well as I normally would. However, I sprouted a crop of new baby hairs last year when I did the Whole30 plan (clean eating, and drinking enough water) and I got over an inch of growth that month. My hair also lay differently - I don't know why or how but people were telling me I looked like I had twice as much thickness. This was in July, and I usually get a summer shed, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I hope to go back to Whole30/paleo this year when my job starts, and I shall also take a multivitamin, a silica tablet and a flaxseed oil capsule. That's all. I am also on bc pills, if that makes a difference.

The only other thing that definitely gives me an inch a month is henna. But I'm not colouring my hair at the moment.

I'm also interested in the height thing. BSL on me is 27 or 28 inches, waist is 35, and tailbone is 43!! :( I have miles to grow. For Knee length I would need 60 inches!!

EvelynMay
January 15th, 2014, 07:12 AM
wow, this has really inspired me to start measuring my hair for growth every month... I've never done that before!! I'm curious as well how much my hair grows per month, I've always just assumed it was the "average" amount... for some reason I remember reading some where several years ago that hair on average grows half an inch a month, so I sort of subconsciously adopted that to my own hair, and who knows it might not even be true! Even when I'd get hair cuts I'd always be like ok if I get 3 inches trimmed off then that is 6 months of growth... funny how I've never thought to actually confirm that... do you measure with your hair completely on your back and have someone look for you or try to bend to see the measurement, or can you measure with your hair in "front"?

ellenajordans
January 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I think it has a large part to do with genetics but there are somethings I do that might help. I massage my scalp a lot. I wash it every other day which keeps the hair follicles clean, i oil my scalp once a week so it doesn't get dry, I take magnesium, vitamin B, vitamin C and one other that I can't remember, but those aren't for hair growth, I use a bbb brush and I wear my hair up a lot.

ositarosita
January 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I take
1 prenatal
3 fish oil (omega 3)
5,000 mcg of Biotin
Exercise daily
Drink lots of water
Bun daily
CO Wash daily ( I put peppermint EO into my CO conditioner because I like the sensation)
Sleep with my hair down
Try to sleep as much as I can
Eat 3 meals a day ( as healthy as possible)
AND I just tried the inversion method so we'll see if it works
As well as just started to apply proclaim natural 7 oil with olive oil onto my scalp with scalp massages (hopefully it will increase as well)

( I managed to regrow from my trim on the 2nd(?) of this month in about 10 days... so I have already grown .5"+)

I really just want to get out of Shoulder length wasteland

ositarosita
January 17th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Sorry just curious - what martial art do you practice??

Berlie
January 17th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Do prenatal vitamins really work for hair growth?

CurlyCap
January 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Completely genetic.

What really helps is doing your best to retain your length. When I was younger, I didn't know how to retain my length, suffered from constant breakage, adn my hair never really got longer.

Now that I know how to care for my hair, I grow and keep 1" a month, sometimes more in the spring, and my hair has been steadily working it's way down my back.

Panth
January 18th, 2014, 01:15 AM
I had meant to add to my post, I know some of it is just genes, but I've heard tell of people changing their growth rate around these forums, and I'm curious to see if I can do anything to accelerate mine.

I'm happy enough with my .6 inches per month rate, but I'd love & adore having an inch per month. I'd get to classic in less than a year!

IMO, all cases of people increasing their growth rate from being on LHC are either due to a) a bit of positive social pressure to actually go to the doctor and get their health problem sorted, or to start eating more healthily and exercising and/or b) (most people) improved haircare resulting in less weathering and hair loss, resulting in greater length retention which gives the illusion of a faster growth rate.

Panth
January 18th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Do prenatal vitamins really work for hair growth?

This is a common misconception: pregnancy makes your hair grow (usually thicker, sometimes faster too) because of all the extra hormones. However, it's temporary - most people loose the hair in the infamous post-pregnancy shed, caused by the sudden loss of those hormones when you remove their producer (the placenta).

Selkie-
January 18th, 2014, 01:40 AM
My hair has always grown fast regardless of my diet, so genetics play the biggest role for me. I have never measured my growth before but my hair grew from a chin-length bob to MBL in 3 years, despite having major trims at the salon every three months for the first two years. My diet has fluctuated during that time from very healthy to pretty ordinary. I also blow-dried after every wash (about three times a week), tore through my wet hair with a brush and flat-ironed a few times a month.

I did however use organic hair-care products and was sulphate-free and mostly cone-free without even knowing it! In the last month I have made major changes because I want to grow to waist-length (and beyond as fast as possible). I have stopped all heat-styling, am treating my hair gently, sleeping with a braid, taking a hair and nails supplement with iron (have seen a huge difference in nail growth already) and have started oiling as well.

Arciela
January 18th, 2014, 02:10 AM
mine is genetics as well. I usually get 1"+ per month...the only time it didn't "grow" was when I was bleaching monthly (never again!) and the ends broke off...but boy did I have roots fast >.<

as far my routine its about the same as everyone else. drink lots of water, daily vitamin, exercise, sleep a lot etc.

Eve 322
January 18th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Sorry just curious - what martial art do you practice??

I practice three: Eskrima (Filipino stick/sword fighting), Vee Arnis Jiu-Jitsu, and Aikido. Eskrima is my favorite, but I'm best at Aikido.. :)

Not to go off topic, I will add that this is all wonderfully interesting and useful information. I really enjoy reading new posts in this thread, as it is redefining my haircare routine! I've been wearing it up mostly to avoid breakage, which I agree with Panth and ositarosita is probably my biggest enemy in growth rate, taking a multivitamin + 5000 mcgs of biotin and have been doing cardio every day in addition to martial arts.

If my growth rate doesn't increase, I'll be healthier, so it's a win-win!

ositarosita
January 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I practice three: Eskrima (Filipino stick/sword fighting), Vee Arnis Jiu-Jitsu, and Aikido. Eskrima is my favorite, but I'm best at Aikido.. :)

Not to go off topic, I will add that this is all wonderfully interesting and useful information. I really enjoy reading new posts in this thread, as it is redefining my haircare routine! I've been wearing it up mostly to avoid breakage, which I agree with ositarosita is probably my biggest enemy in growth rate, taking a multivitamin + 5000 mcgs of biotin and have been doing cardio every day in addition to martial arts.

If my growth rate doesn't increase, I'll be healthier, so it's a win-win!

I practice: American Kickboxing, Seikido (Korean Martial Art that mixes Tae Kwon Do and Aikido) and hope to soon be taking Muay Thai.

------ It really is all about health and getting proper circulation. Cardio is definitely a friend especially once you really get your heart going and can feel the blood pumping in your head (if that makes sense)

Eve 322
January 18th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Yeah I agree, and getting your heart rate up really makes you feel so good. The martial arts builds muscle and exhausts you but it's not a whole lot of good cardio, not like running. When I was taking boxing it was a different story, and kickboxing is great cardio, but for me at least I think running in between is still good to do.

NJoy
January 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
My personal experience suggests that it's not just genetics. I'm not from long hair (on either side of my family) and my own hair had never been beyond apl my whole life until I started intentionally trying to grow it. I use a growth oil with scalp massages, try to drink plenty water, take a daily multivitamin, msm, fish oil and horsetail. I used to take biotin but quickly ditched that when I couldn't control the breakouts. (ugh) I'm at waist length now and back on my way to hip length for the second time. The first time, I was permed. This time around, I'm fully natural.

0xalis
January 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
I got my hair to grow an inch last month but I'm not 100% sure what caused it. I was experimenting with the inversion method, though. I'm hoping for another inch in January or February, so I can get to APL by March. I'd love to be way ahead of schedule!

leslissocool
January 18th, 2014, 10:51 PM
This is a common misconception: pregnancy makes your hair grow (usually thicker, sometimes faster too) because of all the extra hormones. However, it's temporary - most people loose the hair in the infamous post-pregnancy shed, caused by the sudden loss of those hormones when you remove their producer (the placenta).

If you are not getting enough Iron and Zinc to have hair side effects, prenatals will make a difference on your hair. That's why some women see growth with them when they aren't pregnant, specially if they are "slightly" anemic.