PDA

View Full Version : Hair highlight disaster!

alabaster
January 12th, 2014, 07:38 PM
In an effort to lighten up and add dimension to my medium brown hair i used Revlon's Frost N' Glow to add some subtle highlights. Well, they aren't so subtle! They came out waaayyy to light on my hair and totally fried my hair. They are also a very unattractive yellow and orangy color. I am so upset with how it turned out and i am kicking myself for not waiting the 2 weeks before i do something drastic to my hair that i usually impose on myself before being impulsive. My question to you ladies is what do i do now? I am quite well versed in home hair color and was thinking about just covering them up with a brown color or do you guys think i should go to the salon and have them fix the highlights and go for what i wanted originally. I am afraid of damaging my hair even more, but i was also hoping to achieve that beachy ombre soft look that is so popular right now.

Help...... opinions please

turtlelover
January 12th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I'd tone them w/ a demi color using low volume developer to lessen the contrast. You probably won't have to leave it on long at all to do the trick.

Firefox7275
January 12th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Don't do anything colour wise without running strand tests on shed plughole or hidden head hair. Deep treat with coconut oil and/ or hydrolysed protein. Try a peroxide free semi permanent in a darker shade, remembering that your bleached hair will likely be high porosity so may go too dark unless you are careful.

HairFaerie
January 12th, 2014, 07:52 PM
You can try using the purple shampoo to lessen the brassiness. It's called Shimmer Lights, I think. You could also try a toner.

alabaster
January 12th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know if i use a wella toner with a 10 vol developer if it will lift the base colour much? I am considering getting wella T14 or T18 and either using a 10 or 20 vol developer. I know it recommends a 20vol, but i am concerned that it will cause the brown base color to lift to something more brassy. Ideally i would like to tone the highlights to remove the yellow/orange colour and slightly lift the darker base color to lessen the contrast all without any red/gold, but i might be dreaming.....