PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Chinese Medicine for Hair Growth/Loss Prevention

Valkyriejae
January 12th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I did a search and I can't find any threads on this, so I thought I'd start one. I'm going with the Mane Forum since it's mostly about growth, not treatment of existing hair with herbs, and cause there's non-herbal stuff too. Please me it if I'm in error on that though...

I've experienced severe shedding in the past, and am experiencing some now, and I'm trying to use TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) to help.
When it happened before, I took He Shou Wu (an herb, made into a tonic) and it completely stopped the shedding. I'm taking it again now, although it's too early to see results.
My TCM doctor has also suggested I try a plum blossom needle and raw ginger, which I'm somewhat aprehensive about since it seems pretty harsh for my fairly fragile scalp. Has anyone out there used this tactic?

Also, feel free to open up a discussion about TCM and hair in general :)

(ETA: if one of the lovely mods would like to correct my mispelling of "medicine" in the title, I would be grateful - it's one of the words my French leaks into...)

sarahramen
January 13th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I don't know anything about TCM, and so I will be watching this thread with interest! Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will come along.

bunnylake
January 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Giovanni has a product line that uses Chinese herbs. It's called Wellness System. I found it on vitacost.com. It has really good reviews :)