PDA

View Full Version : It's happening! I'm going to be dyeing my hair!

MoominPaige
January 12th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I've been growing out the dye for about 4 months! I have ash blonde roots coming through and against my warm blonde they look rather unattractive! So I've decided to dye my ends to match! I'm having a friend do it as I don't trust myself at all and she's a professional! Hopefully I'll get a nice colour that matches or is at least a bit better than what I have!

Had as anyone dyed their lengths to match their roots to help grow out all natural?

blue_eyes
January 12th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I wish I had this option! My roots are so much lighter than the rest of my dyed hair, there's no way I could do this. :( I envy you haha, I hope it goes well!!

MoominPaige
January 12th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I wish I had this option! My roots are so much lighter than the rest of my dyed hair, there's no way I could do this. :( I envy you haha, I hope it goes well!!

Maybe you could try fade the dye :) I normally use dish soap it's a bit drying but just condition well :) or get a colour stripper like colour oops or colour before :)

blue_eyes
January 12th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Maybe you could try fade the dye :) I normally use dish soap it's a bit drying but just condition well :) or get a colour stripper like colour oops or colour before :)

I did wash it with dishsoap actually! It worked well and faded it a lot, so it isn't awful...I just can't lighten it enough to get to my roots. It broke so much from past damage that I'm too terrified to bleach it again.

As far as I know, as long as your hair is healthy, the dye should hold pretty well to your hair :) when are you doing it?

restless
January 12th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I have :)

I used to dye my hair pitch black for a couple of years and eventually wanted to grow out my natural middle brown colour again. I tried some "home remedies" at first that I had read will pull the colour out (Head&Shoulders shampoo, deep treatments) but it didnt work at all, I had too many layers of dye in. I then let my roots grow out about half an inch or so and went to a salon and asked them to help me out. Instead of frying all of my fine hair, the hairdresser suggested that she´d first bleach thin high lights in my hair and then dye them in a colour that matches my roots. It turned out great! It softened up the harsh black that was left and made the dermacation line to my middle brown hair a lot less obvious.

The growing out part has since then been very painless. I havent done anything at all colour vise to my hair, Ive just let it grow. With time the black parts also faded a lot and even though the ends still carry some dye its not very obvious to anyone else. I dont even notice it myself until I actually look closely on my hair and see the soft dermacation line that´s left.

HairFaerie
January 12th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Yes, I have done this several times. I like Naturtint in a few shades darker than my natural color. It's semi-permanent, so when it fades, it matches nicely with my natural color.

Good luck! :)

Sorry, I just noticed that you stated that your hair is lighter at the roots so my advise doesn't really pertain to your situation. Naturtint makes lighter colors too and it doesn't have all of the harsh chemicals that other dyes can have. I would also suggest lemon juice mixed with chamomile tea as a rinse if you decide not to dye. It lightens hair a bit.

askan
January 12th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I sometimes think of dyeing my lengths to match my 9 months worth of roots! I too have ashy roots, and a warmer, coppery faded dye. Last summer it looked it's worst, when the dye was still darker and the roots went pretty light from sun bleach -_- Right now I think it looks ok as the roots come out quite dark in the winter and the lengths have faded more! But I'll see how I feel after the summer. It's not so fun to think about the fact that I don't want to trim more than a few cm a year so at that rate I'll have two-coloured hair for...three years! Haha. You will have to report how it goes for you! :)

0xalis
January 12th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Yep! I bleached my hair to death and then chopped it into a pixie to get rid of the damage. The yellow pixie was awful. After a few months, I cracked, and I dyed my hair dark brown. It looked SO much better, and you cannot see a line of demarcation at all now. My hair looks all virgin, although it isn't!

lapushka
January 13th, 2014, 03:38 AM
I've had this done (by my mom) with a semi-permanent dye. We were celebrating Christmas and I had about 4 inches worth of dark ash blonde roots to mid-blonde ends, so she covered the whole hair with the semi. Worked out great. And afterwards I could just continue to grow it out.

ErinLeigh
January 13th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I think it will help. Toning can do wonderful things to even out color and get it to where you are happy with the grow out phase. I say go for it. Natural Ash is tough to match but a good colorist who understands the color wheel and knows her products will get you there.

I know it is hard when you are growing ash against gold. It makes the ash look gray even though it truly isn't. Well atleast at first, eventually as it gets longer it becomes bearable. I have a feeling matching the length will help you love your natural color and have you eager to keep on growing it!

Lapushka..what? I imagine you dark haired due to avatar lol. I never knew you were blond.

MoominPaige
January 13th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I've had this done (by my mom) with a semi-permanent dye. We were celebrating Christmas and I had about 4 inches worth of dark ash blonde roots to mid-blonde ends, so she covered the whole hair with the semi. Worked out great. And afterwards I could just continue to grow it out.

So would it be better to go to a salon? It could I have my hairdresser friend do it at home for me? I don't want to mess this up because I just want it as natural looking as possible :)

lapushka
January 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
So would it be better to go to a salon? It could I have my hairdresser friend do it at home for me? I don't want to mess this up because I just want it as natural looking as possible :)

IDK, it's your call. If she's good with color (she *needs* to be), then let her do it. If not, go to a salon. Don't try and save money on something that is going to be your base for years to come!

Ashflower89
January 16th, 2014, 12:10 AM
I kinda did this, but not after the roots had grown out. I dyed it red, then immediately regretted it. So I used color removers and toners, then a dark ash blonde dye to get as close to my natural as possible. I did end up getting it really close, but still a little too light. That was 9 months ago so I have a very slight demarcation line.