PDA

View Full Version : What hair dye is gentlest?

Kitty
January 11th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone
I just posted in the new section, though not new, i've been gone for several years now! But I'm back!!! Looking to take better care of my hair again. But now it is a neccesity for me to dye my greys since they are numerous and I personally dont like them on me. I have been seeing a stylist (being bad, had a chunk bleached out for awhile, layers, etc.) but now want to take better care of my hair. When I have her do my hair, it always feels so dry and tangles so easy, so maybe she's using a harsh dye??
Anyhoo, I dont want to use henna, so what hair dye is the most gentle that is permanent? My hair is medium brown and I prefer to dye it dark brown, that is neutral. I have red undertones and try to not have too red, which can be tricky.

Kitty

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM
An acid dye is probably the gentlest, some dyes to cover grey can be harsher. You may be able to reduce damage by dying over coconut oil or after a hydrolysed wheat or soy protein treatment.

Is your stylist doing roots only or 'refreshing' the lengths too?

walterSCAN
January 11th, 2014, 07:18 PM
The gentlest dye I've ever used, aside from henna, that stays and stays isn't actually a 'permanent' dye.

I used the Natural Instincts (Clairol, I think?) semi-permanent dye for years on my naturally light brown (woodland creature brown) hair to dye it darkest brown and because I was going so much darker, it stayed like permanent color. Actually, truth be told, it stayed better than the one time I used a permanent color.

Not the gentlest dye possible, probably, but it's the gentlest one I know of that acts like permanent.

Kitty
January 11th, 2014, 07:18 PM
She was mostly just refreshing the roots, but would pull any extra dye through the length as well. The biggest problem was the blonde chunk. I had her finally dye over it so I could stop, and that section is still horrible to detangle.
I love using coconut oil!!!

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 07:32 PM
She was mostly just refreshing the roots, but would pull any extra dye through the length as well. The biggest problem was the blonde chunk. I had her finally dye over it so I could stop, and that section is still horrible to detangle.
I love using coconut oil!!!

Pulling through for the last five minutes (refreshing) is hugely damaging over time, twelve sessions and your lengths have had a full hour of extra processing time. Once that blonde section has been badly damaged there is no dye that is going to improve it, the best you can do is use a peroxide free semi permanent on it if it fades.

Also treat the dye damaged lengths with proven ingredients: again coconut oil and hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Protect religiously from sun damage, consider conditioner only washing.

pixldust
January 12th, 2014, 02:21 AM
I found Naturtint to be a good dye, that left my hair in better condition than some of the mainstream brands. It doesn't contain ammonia, which at first made me wonder how good a job it would do, but it worked really well.

LadyCelestina
January 12th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Hi everyone
I just posted in the new section, though not new, i've been gone for several years now! But I'm back!!! Looking to take better care of my hair again. But now it is a neccesity for me to dye my greys since they are numerous and I personally dont like them on me. I have been seeing a stylist (being bad, had a chunk bleached out for awhile, layers, etc.) but now want to take better care of my hair. When I have her do my hair, it always feels so dry and tangles so easy, so maybe she's using a harsh dye??
Anyhoo, I dont want to use henna, so what hair dye is the most gentle that is permanent? My hair is medium brown and I prefer to dye it dark brown, that is neutral. I have red undertones and try to not have too red, which can be tricky.

Kitty

I recently did some experiments with strong black tea.In only one application,it gave me decent darkening without red tones.You can check out my blog for more.You have to use it until you build up the colour to desired intensity though,then less often to keep the colour.
I have some white hairs and it gave it a golden stain.

ETA : I re-read your post and realized my reply is completely off topic :( I'm so sorry!

lapushka
January 12th, 2014, 10:31 AM
The Garnier Olia one is pretty darn good. I know someone who uses this one, and she says it's better than regular dyes and leaves her hair really soft. She uses the dark brown one. It's ammonia-free as well, I believe.

melesine
January 12th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Natural Instincts uses between 1-3% peroxide according to their ingredient list on their website. It acts like permanent on my hair. I only color the roots.

joflakes
January 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Have you looked at the Adore range? They have some good veggie dyes and they are non damaging to the hair. :)