PDA

View Full Version : Scalp moisturizer?

RAddict
January 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Hello all.

What do you consider to be a scalp moisturizer? I thought that oils would moisturize, but i've read that they dont.

I've been using coconut oil for the last 2 days for my dry scalp but i find that it leaves my scalp with more flakes.

Thanks.

Hairheart
January 11th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I have found that after I started to use Natures Gates Aloe Vera shampoo my scalp is less flaky. I think Aloe in general is good for scalp and skin. I do avoid putting any conditioner only scalp, only use it on the lengths, since I think it can be irritating to my overly irritated poor scalp.

I also use oils on my scalp every other day but that never really did moisturize it, not that I noticed anyway.

~honeyflower~
January 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM
You might need more vitamin A like meat,eggs, carrots, milk, cheese,green leafy vegetables, mango, papya, watermelon in your diet.

RAddict
January 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Thank your for your replies.

So is it true that any oil is not a moisturizer?

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM
What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp issue? If you actually have xerosis (simple dry scalp) you could use CeraVe. Also look at what you are using to cleanse, whether your shampoo contains ingredients that will dehydrate or damage the skin barrier.

Technically a moisturiser is something that adds or increases water (= moisture), so usually some ingredients that act as humectants (attract water). In skincare that is normally a cream or lotion type emulsion. Oils and butters are occlusives/ barriers/ anti humectants.

RAddict
January 11th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Firefox7275.

My scalp was never too oily, but since i did ETS surgery (i had sweaty hands and i did it to reduce the sweat) my scalp is almost completely dry and that's why i need something to moisturize it.

Do you think is fine to apply CeraVe in scalp a few times a week? Cream or lotion?

As for shampoo, i've bought a moisturize shampoo from Green People, SLS and other things free, but i didn't use it yet.

Thanks.

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Hi Firefox7275.

My scalp was never too oily, but since i did ETS surgery (i had sweaty hands and i did it to reduce the sweat) my scalp is almost completely dry and that's why i need something to moisturize it.

Do you think is fine to apply CeraVe in scalp a few times a week? Cream or lotion?

As for shampoo, i've bought a moisturize shampoo from Green People, SLS and other things free, but i didn't use it yet.

Thanks.

Is it just the sweat glands that don't function or the sebaceous glands too?

I've heard if people doing a form of conditioner only washing with CeraVe, I am guessing the lotion since its presumably lighter plus I *think* the lotion contains niacinamide which encourages ceramide production (good for skin and hair).

No shampoo is truly moisturising, can you co-wash? Conditioner and body/ face moisturisers are similar in composition - based on fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants. At the very least avoid ALL anionics surfactants, not just SLS.

RAddict
January 11th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Well both sweat and sebaceous glands have been reduced since the surgery.

I've never paid to much attention to my hair/face. I've always did the basics, but since this, i'm looking for something to bring some moisture to my scalp/hair.

Yes, i will avoid all of that chemical stuff. Maybe i could try the lotion and leave it overnight to see how it goes?

Thanks.

redtuss
January 12th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Aloe vera gel is great as a moisturizer just like Hairheart suggested :)

I do a treatment with aloe ½ tablespoon aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons honey at times to be kind to my scalp. It can be itchy every now and then. Works like a charm everytime.

RAddict
January 12th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Thank you redtuss.

What do you think of this Aloe Vera Gel ? http://www.vit-shop.ie/store/p/7803/1/ESI-Aloe-Vera-Gel-200ml.html

Thanks!

RAddict
January 12th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Or this one http://www.vit-shop.ie/store/p/273/1/Aloe-Pura-Aloe-Vera-Skin-Gel-200ml.html

Firefox7275
January 12th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Well both sweat and sebaceous glands have been reduced since the surgery.

I've never paid to much attention to my hair/face. I've always did the basics, but since this, i'm looking for something to bring some moisture to my scalp/hair.

Yes, i will avoid all of that chemical stuff. Maybe i could try the lotion and leave it overnight to see how it goes?

Thanks.

Definitely worth a try. Do persevere as long as you don't get negative effects: CeraVe works by supplying a balance of cholesterol, ceramides and saturated fatty acids to strengthen the skin barrier, it's not a one off miracle treatment but rather helps your skin function optimally over time. It also contains weak humectants in the form of the major emollients (fatty alcohols or cationic surfactants).

I'm a massive fan of the properties of standardised aloe vera inner leaf gel (not whole leaf) the studies are impressive in terms of healing, reducing inflammation, boosting collagen. It is a potent humectant straight up ... Which means it can draw water OUT of the skin in lower dews, especially where there is a barrier issue. Should always be combined with some sort of occlusive (waxes, butters, oils including silicones).

The skin itself does use humectants for hydration: urea, lactic acid, amino acids, glycosaminoglycans (as in aloe). Like the lipids these are balanced: in atopic eczema for example urea is deficient. Lactic acid is another molecule that can boost ceramide production. Excessive wetting or soaking of the skin flushes out these humectants (known as the natural moisturising factors) drying the skin so no long showers.

RAddict
January 12th, 2014, 07:41 AM
So Firefox7275, i should use Aloe Vera with some sort of occlusive? You mean at the same time or just use it as longe as i also use Aloe Vera?

I was thinking about using CeraVe and Aloe Vera and maybe rotate them. I dont know if it's a good idea tough.

Thanks and sorry but i dont understand much of this hehe.

Firefox7275
January 12th, 2014, 08:30 AM
So Firefox7275, i should use Aloe Vera with some sort of occlusive? You mean at the same time or just use it as longe as i also use Aloe Vera?

I was thinking about using CeraVe and Aloe Vera and maybe rotate them. I dont know if it's a good idea tough.

Thanks and sorry but i dont understand much of this hehe.

CeraVe is not occlusive, it's a balanced moisturiser containing humectants/ emollients and occlusives. Personally I wouldn't dilute it unless you find it overly greasy.

As I said occlusives are waxes, oils and butters. You could mix or layer these with a potent humectant like AV if you so chose, but alone in lower dew points the humectant is likely to dehydrate your skin not hydrate/ moisturise it. Which you choose depends how much you like oiling/ buttering your scalp and how you intend to remove the excess. I successfully mix a rich lanolin based cream with AV gel for my face, but there is little hair involved.

ETA squalane (NOT squalene which is highly comedogenic) might work as the occlusive blended in the hand with AV, it's a very light oil extracted from olive oil, absorbs into the skin well and some do like it on hair. If you don't mind a bit if more complicated DIY you could use lecithin (from eggs or soy) as the emulsifier - mixes oil and water - great for skin, boosts ceramide production, also a source of other skin friendly lipids like a sort of natural CeraVe.

RAddict
January 12th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I might then try CeraVe alone and also Aloe Vera gel mixed with an oil or butter.

Your description of squalane sounds good to me, unfortunately it's not available in the online shop i buy my things. But i'll search it elsewhere.

What about shea butter? Maybe it's to messy.

Thanks!

cranberrymoonz
January 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm wondering why you would need shampoo at all if your scalp is 'completely dry'. Maybe try co-washing and stretching washes.

RAddict
January 12th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Well when i use anything, it's just a smooth conditioner. It's not completely dry but almost.

redtuss
January 13th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Unfortunately I was not able to follow the links. I live in Sweden so I may not be familiar with any particular brands that does not exist outside of my country, but as a general advice I'd say go for one that has a high percent aloe and where you recognise the other ingredients.
Or you can buy a plant and simply break off a leaf when you need it, they are easy to care for and pretty :) I use both gel from a tube but since I have a couple of plants as well I use the fresh aloe when I need to trim the plants of when a leaf falls off or looks yellow/damaged. :)

RAddict
January 13th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Thank you redtuss!

Firefox7275
January 13th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Please do not use whole leaf AV right from a plant. That is linked to allergic reactions and irritation in the published literature due to the presence of enzymes, latex-like compounds and other proteins. The positive studies are on standardised inner leaf gel which is considered hypoallergenic.

lapushka
January 13th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Please do not use whole leaf AV right from a plant. That is linked to allergic reactions and irritation in the published literature due to the presence of enzymes, latex-like compounds and other proteins. The positive studies are on standardised inner leaf gel which is considered hypoallergenic.

Boy, that's good to know! :)

redtuss
January 13th, 2014, 11:53 AM

Oooh, sorry, did not know this. I've never had a reaction so I'll keep doing it to myself but will not recommend it without a warning in the future! :)

RAddict
January 14th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks ladies.

oatmealpie
January 14th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Aloe vera gel is great as a moisturizer just like Hairheart suggested :)

I do a treatment with aloe ½ tablespoon aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons honey at times to be kind to my scalp. It can be itchy every now and then. Works like a charm everytime.

My scalp has been a little itchy lately, especially at the base of my neck. I did redtuss' treatment this morning, and my itchies are gone! I didn't have much time, so I shampooed, applied the treatment to my scalp and a deep conditioner to the rest of my hair, and let it soak in while I went about my showerly duties. I washed it all out with cool water.

Some of it got on my face, and my cheek felt really soft. I bet this would also be a great facial moisturizer, possibly without the ACV because I think skin has a higher natural pH than hair.

Stormcast
January 21st, 2014, 10:17 PM
My scalp has been rather itchy today (possibly because of winter dryness) and I have tiny bits of skin under my hair I can't seem to stop picking at. I have a feeling this is an effect of the dryness. Do you all think aloe vera would solve my problem?

fairview
January 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM
Thank your for your replies.

So is it true that any oil is not a moisturizer?

With perhaps the exception of jojoba oil which most closely mimics are body's natural sebum, oils are generally considered to be an emollient. An emollient makes the skin softer and can increase moisture by creating a seal and decreasing the loss of moisture but not adding moisture to the skin.