PDA

View Full Version : New hair article from Marie Claire Magazine

patienceneeded
January 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM
http://www.marieclaire.com/hair-beauty/short-hair-grow-longer?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1449_39280413

Saw this on my Facebook this morning. Some good info, some info that would make LHC'ers cringe. Check out the price of the Biotin supplement recommended by the author at the end of the article. I felt like telling the poor girl that Target offers a generic for less than $5.

woolyleprechaun
January 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I felt a bit sorry for her, really. Its happened to us all! Plus, I'm willing to bet that a massive chunk of LHC members found their way here after a disastrous 'trim' or when they got that horrid sinking feeling when they realised they missed their hair. I certainly did, and I read it here quite a bit.
She is totally overpaying for her biotin! :O

sarahthegemini
January 11th, 2014, 09:34 AM
"It's been two months since I was chopped, and my hair has grown almost 2 inches. Here's what worked: Most experts will tell you to get regular trims, but I personally think if you want longer hair, don't cut it so much. This can get messy, but there are a multitude of new split-end menders to help you through. (Pantene's, below, was a godsend.)"

Well, duh :confused: Also there's a product that actually fixes split ends? I mean, really come on. Why do people lack common sense when it comes to split ends.

truepeacenik
January 11th, 2014, 09:36 AM
That isn't... Cringeworthy. For mainstream, it's pretty good.
But, curling irons? I'd almost forgotten those existed outside mall kiosk carts. How 80s. ;)

I think she she meant that split end creams get you through a few splits so you don't go running to the stylist.
I have used a serum for a family get together. They don't see the splits while they are stuck together. I S&D at my leisure. Win win.

MeganE
January 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I just don't get how we all ended up so ignorant about hair in the first place. It's amazing the kind of nonsense I used to believe, and the common sense things staring me in the face that just... didn't penetrate. It's not really that complicated. Minimize damage, maximize conditioning, protect it and trim it when it needs it, and it will grow like a weed and look awesome to boot. It's not that hard. Why does the mainstream have no concept of this at all?

Xylia
January 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I fault advertising for the ignorance. Unless we're made to think we must have what they're selling they won't make any money. They come up with all kinds of double talk, give useless or harmful ingredients magical sounding properties and then convince us that we'll never have "perfect hair or skin or ____ unless we spend, spend, spend. It's manipulation, pure and simple. They don't want or expect people to find out it's all a bunch of brainwashing. It's quite an awakening when we find out we don't need what they're selling.

DarleneH
January 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I hate going to salons, and thanks to LHC I haven't in years. Just like she said: "put your trust in a seductive stranger wielding a sharp weapon, and stumble out feeling maimed." No more for me.

patienceneeded
January 11th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I felt bad for her too. It wasn't a bad article, as a whole.

Wavelength
January 11th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I just don't get how we all ended up so ignorant about hair in the first place. It's amazing the kind of nonsense I used to believe, and the common sense things staring me in the face that just... didn't penetrate.

When one hears something over and over from a source that appears to be an authority, most people don't question it. When it's from multiple sources (hairstylists, the media, your friends who have all heard the same thing) it becomes "conventional wisdom", even if the actual advice is nonsensical.

Throw in cognitive dissonance, insecurity, and confirmation bias, and it's not really hard to see why people come to believe all sorts of ridiculous crap.

It's a lot easier and less stressful to just accept what's being said at face value, rather than trying to figure out who stands to gain from it and finding alternatives. We're bombarded by advertising every day, and further bombarded by people who genuinely believe the advertising (at least some of it). The signal-to-noise ratio is pretty nuts, and most people aren't of a methodical, experimental mindset.

LHC is unique in that this site is full of people who question authority, try their own experiments, develop alternate methods, and post the results. That's pretty remarkable and one of the reasons I stick around.

However, we shouldn't pat ourselves on the back too much -- because it's just as easy for the majority here to look at a few experiments and then turn those results into our own conventional wisdom, which may or may not be true (i.e. "'cones are bad for everyone").

That being said, LHC is generally supportive of individuals who question trends. We have a space here to ask questions, get help, find alternative resources, and figure things out. Most people don't have that space, or the right kind of help.