PDA

View Full Version : I did it (henna)

karishaf
March 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
and I think it turned out really well. Its not completely dry yet, but its looking pretty darn good.

I have the best husband in the world, that always does my hair for me. I have used regular dyes up to this point, so the henna experience was totally different for him and me!

I have a little past shoulder length dark brown hair with some grey, especially around the temples. For the mix I used 200 gs of henna and mixed it up with grapefruit juice. Let it sit for about an hour, and then put it in my hair and slept in it all night. It worked great.

I had just thrown some conditioner in the trash that my mother-in-law left here a year or so ago because it didn't smell tangerine like it said. But I got it out and used it to get the henna out of my hair. Worked like a charm. It was messy messy...and my 4 year old didn't want to get in the shower with me for some reason LOL but it worked.

The only negative to this whole experience is the smell. I didn't think it would bother me but it did so much so that it was making me nauseas so I went and rubbed some vicks under my nose!! That seems to be doing the trick.

I'm so glad I found this forum and hennaforhair's. Without you guys this would not have been possible. Thanks a million for all of the ideas and such.

Nightshade
March 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Yay! I'm glad that worked out for you :)

If your hair feels dry, feel free to leave out the acid next time and just use water. Also, I use V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy Conditioner to rinse out the henna, and that seems to tone down the smell a bit (though I'm one of those mutants who just doesn't mind the smell).

I think an herbal-scented conditioner you like works with the smell more than say a fruit smelling conditioner that's just outright trying to mask it versus blend it into something else.

Delilah
March 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Congratulations on taking the plunge.
If the smell bothers you feel free to add some essential oils to your henna mix. As far as I know none of them effect the color and properties of the henna negatively (correct me if I'm wrong with this) and some actually increase the stain- see 'terps' on hennaforhair. A citrussy smell like blood orange or ylang-ylang will cover the 'hay' smell of henna nicely. Just make sure as with any EO's that it is safe to use on the skin.
I'd be suspicious of henna that's supposed to smell like tangerines. I doubt natural ingredients were used in the scent of it. Good thing you threw it out.
If you decide you like to henna then definitely buy some body art quality henna online. Hennaforhair and henna sooq(the one I use and the owner is an LHC member) both have excellent products. BAQ henna washes out MUCH better than store bought henna, its almost like a gel in consistency. The smell and stain are also much nicer.

karishaf
March 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
LOL It was the conditioner that smelt like tangerines, not the henna. I would be leary as well if it was the henna. hee hee

I bought my henna from henna for hair, and the stuff was fantastic.

Ohio Sky
March 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Im glad you liked your henna experience! Im a recent henna convert, too, and Im so glad I found henna.
I also cant stand the smell. Catherine suggests cloves, which I used a TON of in my last henna session. My hair smelled strongly of cloves until I washed about 3 days later, then it just smelled like hay again, and that smell sticks to my hair for about 2 weeks. :mad:

sibylla
March 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I hennaed my hair today. I use the double amount now. I mixed in a couple of Patchouli drops. It kind of brought out the earthy smell of the henna (also patchouli makes you feel sexy..if your a man use Rose tree instead). As a last touch I left in Gothic Roses Condish Shadow (a smoky inscense smell for both sexes). Today is a happy hair day!

MeMyselfandI
March 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
karishaf,

Congratulations on taking the plunge.

I am sitting here, with my hair in henna right now. I wish I could be more efficient at applying the henna.

For the smell Catherine has on her site:

Cardamom Seed Powder for it to smell spice andGinger Powder for the smell.

My head is now burning. I did a spot test with the ginger and I felt nothing.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/gingerspice/index.html

The smell should go away in a week. It may smell again next couple of times you wet it.

IsabelS
March 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Karishaf,

It's great you are happy with your hair. Could you post pics?
I'm planning to henna as soon as my order arrives from henna-boy and since I have dark brown hair i would like to see how yours turned out.

Thanks!

akurah
March 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I wish I could get my partner to henna my head for me. I'm lucky to convince him to braid my hair sometimes.

Congrats! I'm glad you like henna.

Girltron
March 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Congratulations! I think I noticed less henna smell when I stopped adding acid liquids to my mix. I use chamomile, honey and coconut oil instead, and it always just smells lightly herbal and not yucky. The worst was when I used vinegar. I also didn't think adding cloves did much, I tried that before. Coffee improved the smell but made my hair dry.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
i work in a pet shop....i love the smell of henna....i think i don't need to explain that!

First time i did not, second time i already got over it. I like it now, it is an exciting smell (like new car, or new house smell)...i think i associate it with actually careing for my apprearance and pampering myself!

My mum thinks it smells like ciggies. Dunno where she got that from!