PDA

View Full Version : Should I give henna or henndigo a try? Will it go with my skin tone?

Flammula
January 11th, 2014, 02:08 AM
So, I had black hair from 13-23. Then faded my hair down to a very dark brown. I really loved the dark brown but after years of heavy damege I've stopped using harsh chemicals on my hair. I cut it to a long bob two months ago (cries) and started using sls-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner.

After I stopped dying my hair it has faded to a horrible little bit golden medium brown-ish color that looks horrible on me. My own hair has grown out 2½ inches, it looks like a very dark blonde. I had decided to grow it for a year or so, so that I could decide if I liked the color or not, but I can't stand this. I feel that I look hidious, and as a newly single woman at 29, I need to look the best I can :cool:

So i thought about giving henna or henndigo a try. Im just not sure if it will look flattering on me. I would like a very dark cool brown, maybe with a little red in the sun. Or maybe a strong red/orange if I could pull it of... only had a really bright red (manic panic) years ago, but it looked nice.

On the pic you kan se how pink i am, will pure henna or a henndigo mix look flattering on me?

Hope you henna-experts can give me some help here :cheese:

Flammula
January 11th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Ooops, forgot the picture
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/Flammula999/887157b7-7cfe-463e-a33b-9aa1a4985b11_zps25d9d2d9.jpg

Rosetta
January 11th, 2014, 02:36 AM
As you've already had dark brown & black hair (and felt that it suited you very well, as I understood?), henndigo would surely be great on you; with it you can get various shades of dark brown (or black with two-step method), with a slight red glow in the sun, as you said. Just henna I wouldn't recommend, based on what you told :)

Flammula
January 11th, 2014, 02:38 AM
As you've already had dark brown & black hair (and felt that it suited you very well, as I understood?), henndigo would surely be great on you; with it you can get various shades of dark brown (or black with two-step method), with a slight red glow in the sun, as you said. Just henna I wouldn't recommend, based on what you told :)

Yeah, it was great with make-up on, without it's too harsh. And maybe it would be fun to try something new.

This picture is by the way old, and from the time it was a lot darker than now (is it btw not possible to edit a post?)

Rosetta
January 11th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Editing is only possible after you've made 25 posts, I think.

One thing to consider, too, is that henndigo (like henna) is very permanent - after using indigo, it's more or less impossible to lighten your hair, among other things (might result in green)...

Shatam1
January 11th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I think henna would look fabulous on you... Your hair is dark enough and doesn't really need indigo in the mix. Just henna for two or three times to see the effect then add indigo if you think you need it. Mind you indigo is Much more drying than henna. I tried it once in my henna and it left my hair like a witch's broom.. Good luck:)

Flammula
January 11th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I think henna would look fabulous on you... Your hair is dark enough and doesn't really need indigo in the mix. Just henna for two or three times to see the effect then add indigo if you think you need it. Mind you indigo is Much more drying than henna. I tried it once in my henna and it left my hair like a witch's broom.. Good luck:)

I couldn't edit, so i didn't get to write that my hair is much lighter now :) Thats from when my hair was a very dark brown.

Shatam1
January 11th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Even if your hair is lighter, henna will darken it with multiple applications.. You can give it a try then add indigo if you want it darker. Just make sur you want the commitment as henna is very permanent. Also strand test on some shed hair and see if you like it. I loooooooove henna with a passion for the strengthening effects but mostly for the color. Mu natural color is strawberry blond.good luck :stirpot:and let us know how it goes.

robin000
January 14th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I have a similar skin tone to the picture you posted, and it sounds like a similar natural color (dark golden blonde / light brown). Henna makes my hair an auburn color that looks pretty red in sunlight, but browner indoors. It usually appears a bit lighter and redder than the hair color in the picture you posted.

Flammula
January 29th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Im still unsure if i'll be able to pull henna or henndigo off, but I can't stand the hair I have right now. Im planning on testing pure henna first, and if it doesn't work, start mixing it with indigo. Hope it will work with my pink skin!!!

But should I buy the red raj or jamila henna? Whats considered best for cool/pink skin tons and will ed raj look good mixed with indigo?

Rosetta
January 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM
To be honest, I don't think any henna is considered good for purely cool skin tone... But pink tones can exist in both both cool or warm-toned skin, so that's not decisive in itself.
Just out of interest, do you maybe know which colour season you belong to? :) That would make it a bit easier.

Oh, and I don't think it really matters which henna you mix with indigo, as the result is brown anyway; but generally, red raj is considered to give slightly cooler (and darker) results, and Jamila more coppery.

Flammula
January 29th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Im not quite sure what season I belong to. Summer or winter.

Rosetta
January 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Ok, in that case henna might be tricky, unless you go all the way to burgundy...

I'm just interested, as I recently found out I'm actually a warm season (probably deep autumn) - all my life I've thought myself to be a cool season, so it's been a bit of a shock ;) Well, it's always been an anomaly why in that case warm red (including henna) suits me so well, but I just ignored it...

Flammula
January 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Haha yeah, that must have been quite a earth shattering discovery :P

Now that Im relly thinking about, I din't think I want red hair. But burgundy or a very dark brown. Have no clue what would suit me. Ohh this is sooo difficult! Everything were a lot easier when i just used regular hair dye :(