PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to secure your braids?

Eve 322
January 10th, 2014, 11:48 PM
I used to wear my hair down or pony it all the time. Since joining LHC in August, I've gotten into buns and braids. I especially like to wear a loose braid to sleep. But what do you ladies use to secure the braid at the end?

I had assumed it was those little clear bands you see in CVS, but I used them and I feel like they rip and break my hair at the ends when I take them out. Lately, I've been using the thicker, regular pony tail holders, which are better but still make me feel like they're causing breakage.

Have I missed something? Is there a better way; am I doing something wrong? Because I feel ready to ditch braids altogether in order to save my hemline!

Thanks in advance guys. :)

BlueMajorelle
January 10th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I use the black version of these little guys for braids: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-Elastic-Fabric-Ladies/dp/B00EZ6HT5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1389423033&sr=1-1&keywords=terry+fabric+hair

I also use these regular bands: http://www.amazon.com/Vidal-Sassoon-Crimper-Elastics-Neutral/dp/B001KYRVSO/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1389423116&sr=1-1&keywords=hair+binders
But I'll stretch the elasstic out prior to wearing them so they don't crunch my hair.

HumanBean
January 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Fabric/elastic hair ties. Like these: http://thecraftingchicks.com/2013/07/how-to-make-elastic-hair-ties.html

glittergloss
January 11th, 2014, 12:41 AM
I use a very thick and soft scrunchies or my very soft socks. I have some of my very soft fluffy socks that I made into scrunchies.

ejking2
January 11th, 2014, 04:03 AM
I use those clear bands for small braids and bunned braids. I don't feel like they are damaging to my hair.

For single braids I use little satin scrunchies that I buy here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-Satin-Scrunchies-ponytail-holders-hair-accessories-Wholesale-Lots-Ties-/271120212229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f20062105

Madora
January 11th, 2014, 09:06 AM
As far as sleeping styles, I don't secure my bun braid with anything but 8 3 inch hairpins (with crimps).

During the day, I use tiny black elastics. The trick to using elastics is to take them off the same way you put them on. Never just pull them off.

sarahthegemini
January 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I use thin elastic hair ties. Bad I know. I've tried ribbon and my hair is just too slippery, and scrunchies don't stay put in my fine, thin hair (and therefore super thin braid!) I just make sure I unravel the tie as opposed to just pulling it down.

spidermom
January 11th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I use the small, fluffy-looking scrunchies that are sold for children.

patienceneeded
January 11th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Fabric/elastic hair ties. Like these: http://thecraftingchicks.com/2013/07/how-to-make-elastic-hair-ties.html

I use this type of elastic too. I buy fold-over elastic (FOE) in various colors and make my own. Cheap and easy. Been using them for 2 years, have noticed no damage.

patienceneeded
January 11th, 2014, 09:26 AM

I use this type of elastic too. I buy fold-over elastic (FOE) in various colors and make my own. Cheap and easy. Been using them for 2 years, have noticed no damage.

Berlie
January 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I use little teeny tiny black, very thin elastics. They are very stretchable and don't hurt the ends of my hair at all.

picklepie
January 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I use the tiny, clear elastics as well-- but I either cut or break them to take them out. I thought that was what everyone did! They're 200 for one dollar, or something.

jacqueline101
January 11th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I just use hair elastics. I know real original but I've tried the rubber band looking deals they get lost in my hair.

swearnsue
January 11th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I use the little silicone bands from the neighborhood drug store. I think I bought the child sized ones for holding the braids for sleeping. I don't put them in as tightly as I would normally as if wearing them during the day. They often slip out overnight but by that time I'm almost ready to get up anyway.

Also, if you lightly oil your tassels it will help in the morning to get the bands out.

I tried cutting them out once, big mistake, I cut several strands of hair.

I try Madora's method every now and then because it sounds like the best way and most comfortable. But those stupid pins fly out of my hair like crazy. But I keep trying just in case it's not my hair but user error!

faellen
January 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I just use normal hair elastics. Usually metal-free. To be honest, I've never noticed any damage from using them. I'm gonna make myself some of those fold-over elastic ties though, because they look so cute!

walterSCAN
January 11th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I use little teeny tiny black, very thin elastics. They are very stretchable and don't hurt the ends of my hair at all.

I use the tiny, clear elastics as well-- but I either cut or break them to take them out. I thought that was what everyone did! They're 200 for one dollar, or something.

Oh man, those eat my hair! :hatchet: I use the Goody 'ouchless' regular hair ties, like these (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Skinny-Jeans-Elastics/dp/B005IMHDO6), though I keep meaning to make some satin/ silky scrunchy covers for them so they'll be a little nicer to my hair. They aren't bad, but they're not as good as they could be.

rosalinda
January 11th, 2014, 05:05 PM
The cheapest, gentlist, most effective braid-fastener is nylon tights snipped into rings (after the toes are snipped off). Every time you use one of these rings (cut about an inch wide) they become thinner and more stretched out, thus need to be put round the end more times - but they still are effective for a long time without being overly tight. And when one gets to loose, snip another. Wouldn't be strong enough for a high pony, but fine for low ponies or plaits ('braids') :magic:

PraiseCheeses
January 11th, 2014, 05:53 PM
The cheapest, gentlist, most effective braid-fastener is nylon tights snipped into rings (after the toes are snipped off). Every time you use one of these rings (cut about an inch wide) they become thinner and more stretched out, thus need to be put round the end more times - but they still are effective for a long time without being overly tight. And when one gets to loose, snip another. Wouldn't be strong enough for a high pony, but fine for low ponies or plaits ('braids') :magic:

:thumbsup: Yep!! You can make them as skinny or as wide as you want. Super-soft and no seams. This is what I do when I braid my hair at night.

For daytime wear, I love securing the ends of my braids with the smaller sizes of Flexi-8 (generally the mini for me). It dresses up a plain braid, there's no extra wear on the ends from repeatedly looping through a tie, and it hides all of my braid taper. :cheese:

Sharysa
January 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
...Yeah, I just use the ouchless hair-ties with no metal. My hair's coarse and thick, so I've never had the problem that fine/thin-haired people have with braid taper.

Hell, sometimes I wish I had at least SOME damage at the end of my tassel from braiding all the time, because then my fairy-tale ends would be more evident.

spirals
January 12th, 2014, 12:00 AM
My sleep braids are secured with pantyhose rings. For day I use regular elastics.

Leery
January 12th, 2014, 03:50 AM
My supposedly snag-free elastics kept snagging my hair and I'm paranoid about damage, so these days I use 100% silk ribbon that I braid in towards the end and carefully (making sure not to catch any hair) tie off in a bow or similar. It probably doesn't make a world of difference damage-wise, but I like the look of it - I've got bright colours that pop as well as brown ones that blend into my hair.

restless
January 12th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I dont secure my night braid with anything at all because if I braid it when its still slightly damp (I always wash it night time) it wont unfold during the night. Though, not moving around a lot while sleeping helps a lot too, I guess...

Daytime I secure it with metal free hair elastics. The best ones Ive found are actually the small, soft, colourful ones that are aimed for kids. Theyre very hair friendly.

spirals
January 12th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I move around so much that my bangs are sticking straight up toward the sky when I wake up, and my hair tangles while in braids. I sometimes lose one of the ties, too.

Eve 322
January 12th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Thank you SO much, guys. I now have several things to try! I'm very excited to try each of these ideas and find out which works best for me. :D

And I've identified my user error: I've been taking the whole tied up elastic and just pulling it down to get it out. I never realized I should take it out the same way I put it on, but it makes so much sense - duh! You guys are the best :)

Nadine <3
January 12th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I used tiny little silicone bands. I oil the ends of my tassel before I put them in, so when I take them off the oil helps it slip right off.

vanillabones
January 12th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I use the soft little clear elastic bands, if you take them out correctly they just slide down or you could cut them out. I use little rubber black bands too they hold my slippery hair better but I consider them to be more damaging when removing them. I also have the tiny little cloth ones made for children but they slip out easily. I have been folding my braid and pinning it to my scalp at bed time instead of leaving the plait loose. My satin pillowcase makes any of these ties slip out but I'd prefer that than slipping on a cotton (or other) pillow and having my hair rub against it all night.

Skade
January 12th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I use the black version of these little guys for braids: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-Elastic-Fabric-Ladies/dp/B00EZ6HT5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1389423033&sr=1-1&keywords=terry+fabric+hair

I also use these small cuties, in all variations of colour. And sometimes I dont secure the braid at all, especially during the night.

Paranda Belle
January 12th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Unless it's a rope braid, I don't use anything at all when I'm bunning. My hair is thin enough and old enough at the ends to keep itself together.

mariakatija
January 12th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I use fabric covered elastics without the metal hinges.

bryana
January 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM
i swear by twistbands! http://www.thetwistband.com/hair-ties.html

Eve 322
January 12th, 2014, 10:24 PM
The world smiled on me today. I walked into the grocery store, and all Goody products in the hair aisle were buy 2 get one free. :D I bought twistbands, two different sizes of small fabric elastic, and two hair toys! I'm wearing a twistband right right now and I am loving how gentle it is on my hair. Looking forward to trying everything out over the next few days. :)