PDA

View Full Version : Why thank you vinegar rinse!

Nadine <3
January 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I've been struggling hardcore with tangles. My hair is about 2 inches away from APL, but I have some obnoxious short layers that make updos IMPOSSIBLE. I can get a french braid to stay, but that's the only style so far and I don't want to wear that everyday, and my braid waves don't always look the best. 90% of the time, my braid waves look like I stuck my finger in an outlet. So I sleep with loose hair (I know, horrible) on a silk pillowcase. The pillowcase is great, if I actually stay sleeping on it all night. Most mornings I wake up and my pillow is on the floor. I'm a wild sleeper...:p Anywho, first I tried some leave in conditioner and that worked nicely to help get tangles out of my hair, but it was making my hair greasy and I had to wash more and my hair still tangled up with the conditioner in. I on a whim last night whipped up a vinegar rinse to use in my shower. I knew people use that to help the hair lie flat and add shine and what not...so I wanted to give it a try. I didn't have ACV so I just used white because it was on hand. The smell was horrific and make the whole bathroom smell like pickles, and it lasted in my hair until it dried. This morning when I woke up though...WOW! My hair is so glossy! I did have a few knots but I didn't have rats nests like I had before, and they came out very easy. Very impressed! How often can I do a rinse like this? I'm hoping I can do it at least twice a week so I can have this hair all the time.:)

Soltimus
January 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Aaaaand you've convinced me to try vinegar rinses :D Think I'll get some ACV, though, hoping the smell won't be as bad ;)

I think you can do the vinegar rinses every time you wash your hair. As far as I know it's not damaging at all, but someone may correct me.

Berlie
January 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Apple cider vinegar is THE BEST!! It makes my hair so silky, bouncy and easy to manage...and shiny as hell!! If you have coloured hair, don't use it that often though. I was doing one rinse per week and felt it was slowly stripping the colour gloss I had. Now I use it once a month and I find my colour gloss is staying on longer. Love it!!

Nadine <3
January 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Soltimus Let me know how it works out for you! Now I'm wondering if I should get Apple Cider vinegar instead of the white stuff. Hmm... I think I will, just to see if it helps the smell. It's wonderful, I can't keep my fingers out of my hair! It feels lovely :)

Berlie
January 10th, 2014, 04:30 PM
You do need Apple Cider vinegar...not white vinegar. And it won't make your hair smell! You'll be left with fresh smelling, flowing hair.

Eliska
January 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I never found that I *needed* ACV as opposed to white vinegar - the white vinegar that I started with was a miracle worker just on its own. I use ACV now, infused with rosemary (because I can, that's why), and I'm not really sure there's a whole lot of difference.

My beloved jokes that I smell like a salad when I use my vinegar rinse, regardless of which vinegar I use.

~honeyflower~
January 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM
ACV, white vinegar and wine vinegar work the same. However, white vinegar should be used if you are concerned about staining. The vinegar has ph level that is very low so it makes the scales lay flat hence, more shiny and less tangles. It is advised that you should dilute it 8oz of distilled water to 1tbls of either vinegar (I use 2cups of water to 1tbl for less smell but just as effective). I hear various times to use it once a week to once a month. I think the best time is depends on your hair, if it makes your hair coarse cut it back. On the Chagrin Valley Soap website, it talks about vinegar rinses and the writer mentions that she began with 2x per week and adjusted to once per month as she used it. Just be aware that it does lower porosity, meaning that your hair wont absorb things well.

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 02:12 AM
You do not need apple cider vinegar: it works because of the acetic acid (chelating and/ or helping the cuticle lay flat) which is also present in white vinegar. The ACV thing is just ingredient snobbery like extra virgin oils, plenty of us are on a budget. Work out why it's working, that will help you decide on a dilution, frequency or gentler alternative (eg check the pH of your products, hair likes ~4.5).

MeowScat
January 11th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Vinegar rinses are awesome! I only use a capful mixed with 12 ounces of water, and that has been working perfectly. I only use White Vinegar since I'm afraid of ACV possibly changing the color of my hair. I use it a few times per week. I'm glad you found something that helped!