PDA

View Full Version : Protein shampoo/ treatments

cdonald2
January 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I have very fine hair, and i always condition it. I read someone elses posting about over conditioned hair and it occurred to me that i dont use any protein treatments on it. I probably should as i am trying to thicken my hair as well.

Does anyone know of any good protein shampoos or leave in treatments? which would i be better off with? i have fine hair but alot of it, and a little bit of coarseness from a protein treatment i think may go a long way.

So recommendations for products and how to use them please O:)

sarahthegemini
January 10th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm confused.....protein treatments shouldn't make your hair coarse (atleast not permanently)

cdonald2
January 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I used mane n tail for a while which i found out had protein, it made it coarse but not permanently. but i want to explore other brands unless this is the best.

cdonald2
January 10th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Sorry for not being more clear :X

Rio040113
January 10th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I think a lot of people find Mane N Tail to be drying and some protein treatments (especially 'heavy' ones) can be drying as well (YMMV), which is why most people follow them with a moisturizing treatment, i.e an SMT. Maybe it's the dryness you're thinking of? Coarse hair =/= dry hair and vice versa. I take it you're looking to thicken the individual strands slightly?

happybear
January 10th, 2014, 07:04 PM
i also have very fine and thin hair and i have had much luck using gelatine protein treatments, followed by light oiling on my ends with coconut oil.

jeanniet
January 10th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I use protein, but it doesn't make my hair coarse or feel thicker (which I'm not looking for anyway). It does enhance my curl. I either use gelatin or neutral protein filler, which is a liquid that I put in a spray bottle.

cdonald2
January 10th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Happy bear= what mixture of gelatin did you use? ive never done it before myself and i definitely need the help :eek:

cdonald2
January 10th, 2014, 08:44 PM
i only know of knox gelatin. How do you use it for your hair? also, yes i am trying to thicken my hair as well. As far as mane and tail went... it did feel much drier when i used it

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Given you are a novice and that its winter for most of us on here, I'd just try a rinse out conditioner containing hydrolysed protein, then progress to a more intensive treatment if you think you need it. There is a list on the Sciencey Hairblog as well as a recipe for the gelatin treatment.

Protein is a humectant and can build up if overused, that is why caution is wise.

cdonald2
January 11th, 2014, 01:44 AM
@firefox :D thankyou so much!

cdonald2
January 11th, 2014, 01:57 AM
I found one with animal protein in it. Would this be helpful for finer hair? Theres another one with soy in it. How are these different and which would be more beneficial?

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 02:02 AM
I found one with animal protein in it. Would this be helpful for finer hair? Theres another one with soy in it. How are these different and which would be more beneficial?

Again check out the Sciencey Hairblog.

ositarosita
January 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I use protein shampoos and moisturising conditioners ... for shampoo I use the herbal essences long term relationship or my proclaim olive oil glossing shampoo they both have protein ... works really well for me