PDA

View Full Version : How long till your roots show?

diddiedaisy
January 10th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Hi all

i was just wondering how long it takes for your roots to start showing after you have colour treated your hair.

I dyed my hair 1st January and after a week I had a mm come through. It's possibly at 2mm right now or near enough. I was excited until I realised that if the growth stayed the same I would rack up less than a cm over the month!!!

I think I'm getting a bit OCD about my hair growth.

joflakes
January 10th, 2014, 08:50 AM
:laugh: I notice mine quickly, too.

I had mine last lightened in November and it is a couple inches of roots now. I notice after a week though!

diddiedaisy
January 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Wow that's good growth. Do you use anything such as vitamins?

browneyedsusan
January 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM
*snip* I think I'm getting a bit OCD about my hair growth. :agree: Very possible. Just relax. It's going to grow how it's going to grow, and getting OCD about it doesn't help, so use your energy for something different. :) This forum is great, but it tends to make us all a little hair dysmorphic!

I make about 1/2" of new growth a month--and that's the average growth rate for hair in general. Some people have growth spurts and stalls, but I never have. I touch up my roots every 3 or 4 weeks, but did it more often when I was pixied, because my hair was shaved in some places and the gray patches showed up very quickly.

FWIW: Even at my average growth rate, my friends are blown away with my growth. They've known me for years and can't believe I've shed the pixie so quickly. They think I'm taking some super vitamins or something! (Most of them are over 50, and have SL hair.) I've told them that the secret is staying away from the hairdresser, but they aren't buying it. :shrug: I guess they don't think it could possibly be that simple! :thumbsup:

joflakes
January 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Haha,most don't understand that the trick is just not to cut! :laugh:

spidermom
January 10th, 2014, 10:16 AM
2-3 weeks, temp color for DD's wedding in August, now 3+ inches
hair so porous that temp = permanent apparently

Decemberrose
January 10th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I notice growth a weekk after I colored :) its been 2 weeks since my last dye and theres about 3-4mm haven't measured.
But yes, I notice my growth very quickly because I'm lighter than my dyed color.

Stray_mind
January 10th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I dyed my hair on 26th december and now i have about 4-5mm of roots showing. So it's been about two weeks.

swearnsue
January 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
My roots don't seem to show for about 2 weeks after a root touch up, but then once the grays show they seem to grow really fast.

So the first week or two I'm thinking, "My hair isn't growing!" Then weeks 3 and 4 I'm "Oh no, my darn hair is growing so fast I'll have to do my roots again!"

Agnes Hannah
January 10th, 2014, 12:03 PM
About 2 weeks for me too.

NoRush
January 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Years ago, I went strawberry blonde (ok, ok, carrot orange, moving on :P ) anyway, I noticed the line of dark roots (dark brown hair here) withing a couple of days u.u hair grows without regard of the way you want your color to last apparently.... XD

Verdandi
January 10th, 2014, 01:37 PM
About two weeks here too, seems to be the standard. Haven't dyed mine in a while, but I dyed it red for four years, and it felt like the roots showed up so fast! Had to redo it every four weeks or so to avoid the "grey roots"-look that is so apparent when dying red (I'm in my early 20ies, my hair is certainly not grey but the red made it look that way).

YamaMaya
January 10th, 2014, 01:55 PM
This is the thing that's always bothered me about dye. The dye job looks good for about a month at most, but by the end of that month there's a half inch of roots showing through and I can't stand that dyed with roots showing look on myself. I also couldn't live with that half faded look that happened after about two months, and it's part of the reason I gave up dye altogether. I may try henna/indigo one day, but so far I can't be bothered :P.

arr
January 10th, 2014, 02:10 PM
For me i start to notice after two weeks and it starts to bother me after one month, so then its time to do my roots.

ErinLeigh
January 10th, 2014, 02:13 PM
My roots don't seem to show for about 2 weeks after a root touch up, but then once the grays show they seem to grow really fast.

So the first week or two I'm thinking, "My hair isn't growing!" Then weeks 3 and 4 I'm "Oh no, my darn hair is growing so fast I'll have to do my roots again!"

Hahah that's exactly me every month

goldenlady
January 10th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Mines about 2 weeks till I notice. I last did my roots 2 weeks ago and I probably have about 3 quarters of an inch.. but I can never get the first quarter of an inch to lighten so it's probably grown about half an inch, which is pretty good going! I used to get annoyed by roots, but now I get excited that my hairs grown!

mamaherrera
January 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I can see my white roots three days after I do henna, which bugs. I"m glad my hair grows, but the white comes to haunt real fast, and when it's close to your temples/hairlines, it gives a nice shine in the mirror quickly.

shutterpillar
January 10th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I'd say about two weeks.

Pamala513
January 10th, 2014, 06:05 PM
2 weeks for mine!

ravenreed
January 10th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I have silvers up front and along my part so I notice bright sparks after about a week, but no one else sees them. After about three weeks they are fairly obvious, and I dye my hair every three to four weeks, unless my hair is in a growth stall. Some months I get nearly an inch of growth, so those when I bump dyeing up to three weeks. This makes up for the months where I am happy to see a quarter of an inch of growth...

fairview
January 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Depends on your natural level versus you colored level. The more levels between them the greater and quicker the line of demarcation(contrast) will be seen between colored versus natural. A level 6 or below that wants to be a platinum blonde and look like a natural platinum blonde will be a high maintenance nightmare since the new growth will be noticeable in about a week. Place a white piece of paper under a black. How much of the white needs to slide out before it is noticeable versus a linen colored piece of paper and that same white piece of paper. The later will be less noticeable and blend more versus the former of dark contrasts. It's not so much about the growth rate as it is about contrasts.

mamaherrera
January 10th, 2014, 10:37 PM
That's why I wish they had henna in blonde so when I get more white, I could be a blonde, not a redhead, because henna and white always stands out, no matter what percentage you are. Some day I'll have to resort to regular hair dye to go longer in between root touch ups.

desuvsdeath
January 10th, 2014, 10:56 PM
---------------------------------------------------------

glittergloss
January 11th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Mine is within 3 days. I used to bleached my hair and my dark roots show up very fast. It was such a pain to color my hair. I always had to do my roots every 2 wks sometimes 3wks if I'm lazy. If I wait longer than 3 wks then my dark roots look hideous w/ my light hair -skunk look.

Ambystoma
January 11th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Back when I dyed my hair near black it needed to be redone every 2 weeks when I was in my teens/early 20's, but as I got older it got darker and by the time I was in my late 20's I could go a month since the contrast wasn't as obvious. When I bleached it platinum though, ugh - after only a week there would be noticeable regrowth.

aet2009
January 11th, 2014, 02:42 AM
I notice after a week...I touch up every 3 weeks because by then I have 3/4 inch of roots and I can't stand it anymore lol

diddiedaisy
January 11th, 2014, 02:48 AM
I'm amazed at how quickly some peoples hair grows. Soooo envious.

Lyv
January 11th, 2014, 05:22 AM
When I use henna I can't see much until about two weeks since it's only slightly redder than my natural color but when I use chemical dyes I can see the roots by the end of the week not a lot but enough that it irritates me. My hair grows between 3/4-1" a month so my roots were always really obvious to everyone by root touch up time.

Sofialu
January 27th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Hi all

i was just wondering how long it takes for your roots to start showing after you have colour treated your hair.

I dyed my hair 1st January and after a week I had a mm come through. It's possibly at 2mm right now or near enough. I was excited until I realised that if the growth stayed the same I would rack up less than a cm over the month!!!

I think I'm getting a bit OCD about my hair growth.

I'm the same! I think my rate of growth is very similar to yours and because my roots are so near to the dye I have on my hair I can't see them at all unless I go outdoors with a mirror (which looks odd to my neighbours as I do this every day ATM). I'm hoping they'll show more soon.

Avenie
January 27th, 2014, 04:25 AM
I grow an inch a month on pre-natals (about a half without them), so my roots end up showing pretty sharpish. It's like Homer's beard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCbeXFhMfI

I have dark brown hair and dye it red, fading to dark auburn, so the colours don't clash too badly, but my current state are the worst roots I've had. They're about 2 inches now but I've no time to dye my hair.

Leise22
January 27th, 2014, 05:28 AM
I've been dyeing my hair for a couple of years. I went from brown to fire-red, so it becomes pretty obvious after a while (colour was chemical so it faded to a more orange-based colour, still pretty easy to notice the growth).
I usually start really noticing the difference on the roots in 3 weeks, with about 0.5 inches (1.5 cm) of natural hair colour showing.