PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Almond oil help

EvelynMay
January 10th, 2014, 03:14 AM
so I have for a while now wanted to start oiling my hair. I wanted to use an oil that my hair was not already getting; the conditioner I use is Shea Moisture restorative and it has coconut oil, avocado oil and argan oil in it. So I bought Sweet Almond oil from Now Foods/Solutions as I saw a recommendation for that brand some where. First of all, I read some where that if it doesn't have the botanical name listed that you shouldn't trust it? Hoping someone uses this brand and can shed light... it says 100% pure Sweet Almond oil on it, but no botanical name which is something like prunus dulcis or something... so what did I buy, exactly? Anyone else

Second of all I'm getting mixed information on sweet almond oil. Is it a penetrative oil, will it do good things for my hair? I've read places where it only seals in moisture... others say I is the type of fatty acid chain that penetrates.. in fact I think I read both views here on LHC! I was hoping to use it as a pre wash conditioning treatment, putting it n hair a few hours before a wash.

So lets say I do use it as a treatment, do I put it n damp hair or dry hair? I've read conflicting reports on that too haha! Some say dry because it absorbs it better and oil an water don't mix so it would repel it, others say the water helps spread it but ALSO that the oil will dry out dry hair and make it crunchy as it pull out the water. I just want know which method would be best to try first at least.

I really want to start using it, help!!:)

lapushka
January 10th, 2014, 05:36 AM
So lets say I do use it as a treatment, do I put it n damp hair or dry hair? I've read conflicting reports on that too haha! Some say dry because it absorbs it better and oil an water don't mix so it would repel it, others say the water helps spread it but ALSO that the oil will dry out dry hair and make it crunchy as it pull out the water. I just want know which method would be best to try first at least.

Personally, I'd try it on damp hair, after a wash. One to two drops in the palm of your hand, rub together and scrunch or slide through hair from ears down.

chen bao jun
January 10th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Anybody else have input? I have this oil too and like, never use it because I'm not sure what to do.
One or two drops of anything doesn't cut it on my dry curly hair.

melesine
January 10th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I use it mixed with jojoba and I use it both on my scalp and length on dry hair as a treatment, leave it on for a few hours and then wash my hair. I use 4 droppers full on my scalp and another 4 on my length. I've tried doing treatments on damp hair, I do think they probably work better on my hair at least but it's inconvenient to me because my hair takes twice as long to dry so it stays wet the whole time and I don't like going out in winter with wet hair. When I do them on dry hair I just bun it and I can still run errands if I need to.

meteor
January 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I think you can usually trust a bottle that doesn't have a botanical name in Latin on it. NOW brand is pretty reliable, as far as I know.

I like sweet almond oil as a sealing oil and shine serum, as a natural alternative to mineral oil, because it's light and doesn't smell weird so can be left in.
I don't expect any miracles from it, and it's not as penetrative as coconut, olive or avocado oils.
I prefer applying oils to dry hair, but many people prefer it on wet or damp hair.
Sweet almond oil can work well for your skin too. You can also try it in hair masks or face masks, and mix it with other carrier oils, add essential oils to it, or add it to your conditioners.

Here's an interesting thread for SAO enthusiasts: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25788

Paranda Belle
January 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I found almond oil didn't really do much for my hair. It just seemed to sit ontop and coat the hair rather than be absorbed by it. Occasionally I use it if I need a bit of slip, but not very often. It is however very good on my skin. When I can be bothered I use it on my scalp.

cranberrymoonz
January 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I don't believe I'ts a penetrative oil, but i'm not sure. Coconut and olive oil are penetrating. If you end up not using the almond oil on your hair, I'ts also great as a face or body moisturiser, nail or massage oil. I think you can trust that your bottle contains what it says, unless you buy it in some shady shop and it is impossibly low priced.

Here's how I use oils as a pre-wash: apply liberally to dry hair, focusing mainly on the ends and the lengths of your hair. It's that simple. Wetting my hair before an oiling treatment is too much of a fuss for me and I like to minimise exposure to water.

I find that oils only make my hair scrunchy if I apply a very small amount on allready scrunchy hair. If you are going to apply it as a sealant (use a tiny bit to seal in moisture), do it on damp hair. Preferably just-out-of-the-shower damp (so the core of the hair is moisturised), but you can also mist and then seal if you really need to moisturise in between washes.

On my preference of oils: I like argan oil best for sealing (it doesn't penetrate, but makes the shaft very soft), coconut oil is second best. I like coconut oil best for deap treatments, almond, sunflower and jojoba oil have shared second place. In the end it doesn't make a huge difference which oil I use. But castor oil leaves terrible sticky residu for me.

But some people's hair really hates coconut oil. In the end you'll need to find out what works for you.

tbonita
January 10th, 2014, 10:33 PM
When my hair wasn't loving coconut oil (it IS now again though, yay!), I bought a sweet almond oil (did not have Latin name and I trust it; 'now' brand). I used it after washing on the ends. Now that I can use my fave, cocoveda oil again, I've been using the sweet almond to remove my makeup at night :)

Wallabear
January 12th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I've been using sweet almond oil on my hair recently just on my ends and dry parts (a few drops) and it makes a huge difference in shine and makes my curly-frizz hair easier to detangle but that is all it does for my hair. I have to agree with the other posters though that sweet almond oil doesn't really penetrate hair very well (coconut, avocado, olive, mustard, brahmi oils all do better for pre-wash conditioning), but sweet almond is excellent for skin. In fact, I've used sweet almond oil for years as a pre-shower body massage oil - It protects the skin against harsh drying effects of soap and hard and warm water. The best is using it right before a cold shower to seal in moisture into the skin.

lapushka
January 12th, 2014, 09:20 AM
(...), but sweet almond is excellent for skin. In fact, I've used sweet almond oil for years as a pre-shower body massage oil - It protects the skin against harsh drying effects of soap and hard and warm water. The best is using it right before a cold shower to seal in moisture into the skin.

It is really excellent for skin. When I was a child, my mom was told my (face) skin was too dry, and to only wash with water and then moisturize with almond oil (on a cotton ball). It worked wonders, and to this day it's still part of my routine.

Wallabear
January 12th, 2014, 11:53 AM
It is really excellent for skin. When I was a child, my mom was told my (face) skin was too dry, and to only wash with water and then moisturize with almond oil (on a cotton ball). It worked wonders, and to this day it's still part of my routine.

I love it! I get dry skin during the winter and though I use it for my body I haven't really tried this technique yet... *runs off yonder to the ladies room, the fountain of crystalline water and the cotton ball land* :o

melesine
January 13th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I'm confused, people are posting that sweet almond isn't penetrative yet in the hair oils thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971 it's listed as penetrative. I have no idea one way of the other. I'd like to know the definitive answer though.

heidi w.
January 13th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I've never used almond oil of any kind. I've only used coconut oil. I did a youtube video showing how I oil my hair. Put it on the hair that is from the earlobes on down. Why not the scalp? I always exclude the scalp for oiling and conditioning as doing so can cause scalp skin problems from dandruff on up the scale. Find my youtube video via googling heidi w. oils hair. You should find it.
heidi w.

ErinLeigh
January 13th, 2014, 10:27 AM
conflicting answers on the internet always get me crazy.
I have not read it does not penetrate but take that for what it is worth. I read it penetrates skin nicely but for hair it is considered a sealing oil. I will keep reading and see if I can something but as far as everything I have found to date the 3 penetrating oils are listed in order of ability) Coconut, olive, avocado.

I have read almond is wonderful for skin.

Just a thought, I think the coconut, olive and avocado are incredible oils and they really helped me a lot. I use shea moisture, a another coconut oil based shampoo/conditioner, etc and they just do not do the same things that the oils added direct and on their own do to my hair.

As far as wet vs dry..I tend to use the penetrating oils on dry hair as a pre wash - applied 8-12 hours before washing. The other oils I use as sealers. A little applied to damp hair after a leave in conditioner in placed in. Then once hair is dry if needed, another drop rubbed in plam and rub the palms over the hair for some shine, frizz fighting.

At the end of the day..if you find it working for you. That should be good enough. Not everyone's hair responds to same things.
It really comes down to what you are looking to get from this oil.

ErinLeigh
January 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM
When my hair wasn't loving coconut oil (it IS now again though, yay!), I bought a sweet almond oil (did not have Latin name and I trust it; 'now' brand). I used it after washing on the ends. Now that I can use my fave, cocoveda oil again, I've been using the sweet almond to remove my makeup at night :)

that's good news your hair likes coconut again. I bet is because you have really gotten your healthy again. I remember it was breaking right off before. You should be so proud of all your hard work. Congrats!

spirals
January 13th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I like it mixed 1:1 with jojoba as an anti-frizz serum. It only takes a couple of drops for my whole head. I'm out of jojoba, so I'm just using almond, and it takes a bit more. It seems to absorb really well. I save the greasier oils like olive for my ends. Almond seems light to me.

Firefox7275
January 16th, 2014, 12:39 PM
There is no specific research on sweet almond oil showing that it penetrates AFAIK. However the lauric acid in coconut oil and oleic acid in olive oil have been proven to penetrate. Sweet almond oil is a rich source of oleic acid (albeit not as high as olive) so it's a fairly safe bet that it will.

The research is on DRY hair overnight to twenty four hours, on damp or wet hair the fatty acids will likely penetrate much more slowly since oil and water do not mix. Obviously the fatty acids will penetrate porous hair fair more easily than low porosity hair. A very modest input of heat was shown to increase penetration with coconut oil.

Rushli
January 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
I might have to play with my almond oil. I use it on my face currently. I use coconut oil on my hair so we will see how they compare.

I also have the NOW brand and love it.

MissBubble
January 23rd, 2014, 05:22 PM
I like to use almond oil, mixed with coconut and castor oil as an overnight leave in, once a week. My hair is shiny and soft and seems moisturized.

But I also use almond oil in another way. I have put a small amount, 10-15ml inside each bottle of my shampoo and conditioner. I have seen a big difference in shine and softness and my hair does not frizz that much after washing.

pri108
January 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I've never used almond oil of any kind. I've only used coconut oil. I did a youtube video showing how I oil my hair. Put it on the hair that is from the earlobes on down. Why not the scalp? I always exclude the scalp for oiling and conditioning as doing so can cause scalp skin problems from dandruff on up the scale. Find my youtube video via googling heidi w. oils hair. You should find it.
heidi w.

Hi Heidi,

I have never heard that oils can cause scalp problems. i would like to know about that. is it medically proven?

pri108
January 25th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I like to use almond oil, mixed with coconut and castor oil as an overnight leave in, once a week. My hair is shiny and soft and seems moisturized.

But I also use almond oil in another way. I have put a small amount, 10-15ml inside each bottle of my shampoo and conditioner. I have seen a big difference in shine and softness and my hair does not frizz that much after washing.

That sounds very interesting. Does it mix well? and have you used this shampoo and conditioner just on its own? can the oil work in this form? if it does do you think we can eliminate the oiling treatment from the routine?

pri108
January 25th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Personally, I'd try it on damp hair, after a wash. One to two drops in the palm of your hand, rub together and scrunch or slide through hair from ears down.

I have been using oils in my hair since i was a little girl and surprisingly never used it on wet/damp hair. your comment makes me curious. i want to try using oil on damp hair and see the results.

Berlie
January 26th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Check it..a very informative tutorial...
http://youtu.be/4JSaMmPMmy8

MissBubble
January 27th, 2014, 05:35 PM
That sounds very interesting. Does it mix well? and have you used this shampoo and conditioner just on its own? can the oil work in this form? if it does do you think we can eliminate the oiling treatment from the routine?

I shake the bottles before I use them, just in case. It seems to mix well.
I also use the almoind oil as a mask mixed with other oils.
Adding it in the shampoo seems to work with my hair as it always looked dry and frizzy after washing and the oil has eliminated this.