PDA

View Full Version : Alternating vitamins

MissPetite2010
January 9th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Quick question, is it okay to alternate vitamins? Would you say it's more beneficial, as far as hair growth, and health? I have Spring Valley's Hair Skin and Nails, and I have the GNC Ultra Nourish. The Hair Skin and Nails, is almost a full bottle, because I emptied out my other bottle. That would mean that the hair skin and nails I would take the recommended servings 3. And on the next day take the GNC Ultra Nourish servings of two. And alternate back and forth. Sorry, if it sounds like a stupid question, but not sure if any of you have tried it, this way and have seen results. As far as the vitamins percentage, some have more, some have less, depending on the ingredient, but as long as it's helping, I know it doesn't matter. Since it takes a while to take effect anyway. Well, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

YamaMaya
January 9th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Just be careful not to use vitamins as a replacement for a healthy diet, also there are some vitamins you really shouldn't OD on due to adverse side affects.

MissPetite2010
January 9th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Just be careful not to use vitamins as a replacement for a healthy diet, also there are some vitamins you really shouldn't OD on due to adverse side affects.

ty for the advice. Yup, not on a diet, just trying to eat right and working out almost everyday, so I've been maintaining my weight for about 5 months now. Just taking Ultra Nourish on one day and plan on taking Hair Skin and Nails on the next day, and doing it that way, should be fine. Could take 2 instead of the recommended 3 on that day. I drink plenty of water, and so their both water based, I know that people pee out whatever the body doesn't need. Very careful of not od'ing on anything. :)

Panth
January 10th, 2014, 01:27 AM
ty for the advice. Yup, not on a diet, just trying to eat right and working out almost everyday, so I've been maintaining my weight for about 5 months now. Just taking Ultra Nourish on one day and plan on taking Hair Skin and Nails on the next day, and doing it that way, should be fine. Could take 2 instead of the recommended 3 on that day. I drink plenty of water, and so their both water based, I know that people pee out whatever the body doesn't need. Very careful of not od'ing on anything. :)

Note that not all vitamins are excreted in this way. Also, "just peeing it out" isn't necessarily a harmless exercise - it involves the action of the kidneys and (sometimes) the liver. Either of these organs can become stressed if being forced to metabolise and excrete excess vitamins/minerals.

Lyv
January 10th, 2014, 05:24 AM
I don't think you'd get the full benefits of them if you aren't taking the same kind on a consistent basis. Vitamins need time to work in your system, I think it's usually a month maybe 2 I could be wrong though. Be sure that you actually need the vitamins you're taking, unless you're deficient they may not do much for your hair and too much can be a bad thing.

MissPetite2010
January 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Thank you all for the tips, good advice. As for the MSM, I guess that's good for hair shed? I lose quite a bit of hair, it may seem like a lot, but it's probably normal. No thyroid problems, had test taken. I have very thick, coarse naturally wavy/curly hair. Hoping the vitamins I'm taking will work to a degree. Well, I guess I could always finish one bottle, then start on the next, since the Hair Skin and Nails doesn't expire until 11/15. Thanks again for the tips and advice. :)

swearnsue
January 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I have 3 different B complex vitamins that I rotate. One is a super potent B with vitamin C but fairly low biotin. Another one is a B complex but completely different amounts/ratios of the Bs and has some pre-biotics. The third B complex has a lot of biotin but overall a low amount of Bs and it's mixed with pro-biotics.

I like switching out different vitamins so that all the bases are covered and I'm not taking too much of any one vitamin.

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition, randomly taking the individually or in small groups can do more harm than good by upsetting the delicate balance. Any supplement regime should be tailored to the individual: diet, physical activity, health problems, medication etc.

You don't just pee out the excess that is nonsense peddled by people with no high level qualifications in nutrition or dietetics.

MissPetite2010
January 12th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Update: I've been taking the gnc ultra nourish for a week now. As for improvement, my face does feel a lil softer and already had less hair fallout while washing hair yesterday. Probably my imagination, but my hair always had A Lot of hair shed, very noticeable, having to clean out the sink shower and floor all the time. Just glad this is working. I'll keep u all posted as far as hair growth soon. Soo happy with less hair shed now. Yay! :)

Arfed
January 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Are there any vitamins/supplements and such, that are backed by clinical studies showing (and quantifying) their beneficial effects for hair? I'm not so much considering using vitamins/supplements, just curious.

MissPetite2010
January 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Are there any vitamins/supplements and such, that are backed by clinical studies showing (and quantifying) their beneficial effects for hair? I'm not so much considering using vitamins/supplements, just curious.

From my understanding, from reviews and research a lot of people take biotin by itself because its beneficial to hair growth. It is water soluble. Have to drink plenty of water because it can cause breakouts too, depending on the person. From reading info about vitamins I check into the ones beneficial to hairgrowth and health. A daily multi-vitamin helps too. To get the extra nutrients that food may or may not provide. Because a lot of the nutrients are lost in veggies when cooked. Hope some of this info helped. Oh and people get their vitamin dose just by food alone. It may be just as effective

cranberrymoonz
January 12th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah, you can get all the vitamins you need from a healthy, balanced and diverse diet. But how many people eat healthy and balanced every day? I try to, but I know I don't. So I take a multivitamin to be sure.

Katrine
January 12th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I just wanted to comment that I like to alternate vitamins. Don't know if that's right for everyone, but I know it works for me. My hair vitamin has high doses of Vitamin A and Biotin and combined with the multi it would be too much so I take the hair vitamin one day and the multi the next. And I only take half the dose for the hair vitamin, plenty of good stuff for hair without overdoing it.

Arfed
January 13th, 2014, 06:49 AM
From my understanding, from reviews and research a lot of people take biotin by itself because its beneficial to hair growth. It is water soluble. Have to drink plenty of water because it can cause breakouts too, depending on the person. From reading info about vitamins I check into the ones beneficial to hairgrowth and health. A daily multi-vitamin helps too. To get the extra nutrients that food may or may not provide. Because a lot of the nutrients are lost in veggies when cooked. Hope some of this info helped. Oh and people get their vitamin dose just by food alone. It may be just as effective
It doesn't seem to have much evidence behind it though, that's what I wonder; a brief Google finds stuff like this:

There is some scientific evidence that it might help for brittle finger and toenails.

There isn't enough information to know if biotin is effective for the other conditions people use it for, including: malnutrition, hair loss, diabetes, and others.
http://www.medicinenet.com/biotin/supplements-vitamins.htm

This kind of stuff makes me skeptical, because putting together a clinical trial/study to test the efficacy of biotin supplements on hair, should be really low cost, so you'd assume they've already done this as it'd be a good selling point (and withholding of negative trial results is common) - makes me think its efficacy is at best unproven, and likely ineffective unless malnourished.

Firefox7275
January 13th, 2014, 07:20 AM
You don't just need vitamins for healthy hair and general health you need minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, other fats and carbs. Fruit and vegetables are only a tiny part of the equation and are not innately healthier than other wholefoods, a balanced diet contains fish and other seafood, nuts and seed, beans and lentils and so on.

It's quite possible to get all the micronutrients the body needs and more from the diet, the issue comes with personal taste, habits and sometimes availability locally or seasonally. Every supplement regime should be tailored to the individual, I find it really worrying people are putting aesthetics above health.

It wouldn't surprise me that biotin hasn't been well studied for hair growth, there are ethical and safety concerns in mega dosing subjects plus you cannot patent a vitamin.

MissPetite2010
January 14th, 2014, 12:54 AM
You don't just need vitamins for healthy hair and general health you need minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, other fats and carbs. Fruit and vegetables are only a tiny part of the equation and are not innately healthier than other wholefoods, a balanced diet contains fish and other seafood, nuts and seed, beans and lentils and so on.

It's quite possible to get all the micronutrients the body needs and more from the diet, the issue comes with personal taste, habits and sometimes availability locally or seasonally. Every supplement regime should be tailored to the individual, I find it really worrying people are putting aesthetics above health.

It wouldn't surprise me that biotin hasn't been well studied for hair growth, there are ethical and safety concerns in mega dosing subjects plus you cannot patent a vitamin.

True statement. Besides taking vitamins, I also workout as well, and eat a well balanced diet, including protein, and so on. Just to help with overall health, besides, hair growth. Nothing against the people that take more than the recommended dose/serving as far as biotin. I usually take the recommended dose instead of going over. I have a soon to be cousin who works for GNC. She said she takes biotin by itself, and mentioned that it's supposed to help hair skin and nails. But to each their own. Whatever a person may or may not do, as far as making their health their first priority, I know it's of their choosing on how they go about it. Vitamins, hitting the gym, eating right or whatever it may be, just as long as their going about it safely, staying healthy inside and out. :)