PDA

View Full Version : So... Who wants to help me out of my hair nightmare/disaster? (PIC HEAVY)

millyaulait
January 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM
So, in an attempt to rid myself of years of black hair dye, I took a risk and ordered some dye remover. No peroxide involved. My hair feels fine, if a bit dry, but well..... Lets take a look at the photos and see what happened!

Basically my roots are natural bronde, then it gets a bit... uh.... orange, then red and darker red, almost blackened red. It's so..... uneven.

Roots:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/Snapshot_20140109_48_zps6a0b3db7.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/Snapshot_20140109_43_zpsa557504c.jpg

Roots with flash:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/IMG_0004_zps38b4ca5f.jpg

Length:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/Snapshot_20140109_37_zps3bff8bdb.jpg

Length with flash:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/IMG_0048_zps62300da9.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/IMG_0043_zps7cbc272b.jpg

I'm really not sure what to do with it. Do I bleach (ugh) the darkest parts up to an orangey colour, then apply a dye? I'm aiming for chocolate brown, and I know that if I just go ahead and apply it right now it will be SO patchy and strange looking, especially at the top, so I want to sort of this 'base' colour first, because it's so horrendous. I also don't know why it looks SO drastically different with and without flash? \:

Any ideas/tips/help on how to fix this a bit?

meteor
January 9th, 2014, 03:02 PM
For colour-correcting work, I always recommend going to a professional with specific photos of what you want to achieve. You don't want to put your hair through various risky trials before finally settling on the colour you wanted. Just make sure you prep your hair with a thorough coconut oiling to protect it before a having it dyed.

millyaulait
January 9th, 2014, 03:14 PM
For colour-correcting work, I always recommend going to a professional with specific photos of what you want to achieve. You don't want to put your hair through various risky trials before finally settling on the colour you wanted. Just make sure you prep your hair with a thorough coconut oiling to protect it before a having it dyed.

Sensible advice. I really want to fix it myself though, hahah. :(

Lyv
January 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM
When I pulled the black out of mine I used a color remover, then I did a vitamin c treatment once all over and then 2 more times on the darker length/ends and then I used a purple shampoo to help with the orange I got after pulling the dye out. I did put a dye over top after that but I gave it about a week in between. I went from black to light still slightly reddish brown and dyed it to a shade or two lighter than my signature.

millyaulait
January 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM
When I pulled the black out of mine I used a color remover, then I did a vitamin c treatment once all over and then 2 more times on the darker length/ends and then I used a purple shampoo to help with the orange I got after pulling the dye out. I did put a dye over top after that but I gave it about a week in between. I went from black to light still slightly reddish brown and dyed it to a brown pretty similar to my color in my signature.

Ooh, interesting! Hmm.. I am not sure if I would ever be able to get my hair to match up to my roots/upper hair area without bleach. I have lightened with honey and vit c before but it only lifted about 1 level even after repeated attempts. :( Maybe I could embrace the red and cover it with a red veggie dye? I think maybe the roots/upper would be way brighter still though.... Blargh...

Maybe dying my roots with a brown to darken them to the midlength colour would be better than trying to lighten everything else up, then just going over everything with the same brown? I am not sure.

blue_eyes
January 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I've been in your position 3 times as I tried to go from black to blonde, and every time I'd end up with a red/orange/brown patchy disaster (even when I had it professionally done). The last attempt resulted in my hair breaking in huge chunks and I swore I'd never do this again. I ended up getting a very dark brown dye and dyeing my hair all over again. After a few weeks, when some spots faded and got patchy, I dyed it again. I'm terrified from damaging it more (since I had so much breakage, I didn't know how much more my hair could take and I didn't want to risk it) so now I'm babying it and just letting it grow out.

I really don't know how to eradicate years of black dye (which is what I had), and even the professional colorists couldn't really help me. It was always, always so patchy. My hair is now a nice warm brown color, but I won't be touching it again until I grow out all dye. I don't know if this helps you at all, I hope you can find a way to achieve the color you want without having to wait years to grow it all out. That's just what happened to me :(

millyaulait
January 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I've been in your position 3 times as I tried to go from black to blonde, and every time I'd end up with a red/orange/brown patchy disaster (even when I had it professionally done). The last attempt resulted in my hair breaking in huge chunks and I swore I'd never do this again. I ended up getting a very dark brown dye and dyeing my hair all over again. After a few weeks, when some spots faded and got patchy, I dyed it again. I'm terrified from damaging it more (since I had so much breakage, I didn't know how much more my hair could take and I didn't want to risk it) so now I'm babying it and just letting it grow out.

I really don't know how to eradicate years of black dye (which is what I had), and even the professional colorists couldn't really help me. It was always, always so patchy. My hair is now a nice warm brown color, but I won't be touching it again until I grow out all dye. I don't know if this helps you at all, I hope you can find a way to achieve the color you want without having to wait years to grow it all out. That's just what happened to me :(

Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you! :( I guess it's a pretty tricky thing to do, I would love warm brown. :)

TrapperCreekD
January 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Probably not what you want to hear, but based off the photos(may look worse in person) I actually think it looks pretty. :)

OurAtronach
January 9th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Probably not what you want to hear, but based off the photos(may look worse in person) I actually think it looks pretty. :)

I agree :D

millyaulait
January 9th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I agree :D

Aw, thank you. :flower: Honestly, I think I would like it if it was just one colour all the way down, like if my roots weren't so terrible. I like the colour I see in the flash pics, but it's more muted in real life. :D

melusine963
January 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM

I think so, too. It looks a little like a reverse ombre effect.

ravenheather
January 9th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I don't think it looks bad. I would either let it just grow out or dye over it all. I wouldn't personally lighten further.

Wildcat Diva
January 9th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I like the veggie dye or some semipermanent thing for a while. I would not want to tell you to use bleach. Would cassia treatments help at all for now?

Crumpet
January 9th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I agree that its a reverse ombre and you should probably just leave it be. When your natural grows out a bit more you may be able to match it up a bit better, but you may also find that it bothers you less. Some of my favorite hair on these boards are the heads of those who have grown out dye. It makes gorgeous buns and updos!

AmyBeth
January 10th, 2014, 12:27 AM
When I saw the pictures, my first thought was "Oooh, that's so pretty and shiny!", then I read other replies and found that others agree! I would certainly caution you against attempting to bleach out any more color without professional help! You could really damage it and destroy that beautiful shine. Perhaps some more of the dye will fade eventually and you can enjoy the ombre while you wait?
LOVE the hairstick!

joflakes
January 10th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I think it looks really pretty! I wouldn't touch it with any peroxide or bleach. If I was really unhappy id use a true veggie dye to even it out a bit. The Adore range are really good for natural colours and they're not damaging at all. I hope that helps!

:)

vickinight
January 10th, 2014, 01:17 AM
millyaulait,

First, off, please know my initial reaction to your pictures was:
"OOH, SHIIINYYY and long, glorious hair... :cloud9:"

Hahaha :)! Now that I've let that be known, since you say your hair is a muted color of that, perhaps some options to consider might include:

- Toner,
a purple shampoo or conditioner that is used in one way by blondes hoping to keep their color from going brassy.
- Filler (Hair Filler),
used to even out the light and dark parts of the hair (usually by matching everything to the darkest) before coloring.
- Specifically "Anti-Brass" or "Ash" Color
to neutralize the red if you do intend to re-color. I.e., if you're aiming for a dark neutral brown, a regular box of neutral brown dye might even itself be too "warm" (red-tones) for you whereas using a "cool" tone dye ("ash") might neutralize the red. Although I 100% see your concern that perhaps the lighter and less red parts of your hair might come out "too ash."

I might first wash a few more times (even with a shampoo considered "stripping" and not formulated to preserve colored hair) to make sure no more of it might wash out by itself before subjecting your gorgeous locks to possibly unnecessary processes though.

You know your hair the best but hopefully this helps at least a little :).

Happy New Year and Happy Growing!

Edited to Add: Beauty supplies stores (Sally's, etc.) if you're lucky enough to live near one should have the necessary supplies! Where I live, it's hard to find a store like that that is open to the public but if you live near a bunch, you're in luck! ALSO, the salespeople can also be very friendly and helpful and will be able to see your hair in person and offer suggestions. Good luck!

ErinLeigh
January 10th, 2014, 02:06 AM
If you do this on your own you can try and lighten the length with a few things.
One more run of color remover, Vitamin C (lots of youtube videos explaining how), or honey lightening.

Then you will need a color filler. I cant tell from the pic but if the length is red and stays that way after more lightening attemts and you want to match to length use a red color filler on roots and perhaps neutral clear, or ash depending on what you are working with on the length. This will help with patchiness by filling the hair and also adding some color base where there is less of certain hue. Once you have your fillers in you can choose to use a semi permanent color to match things up more. For instance adding semi to the roots to make them match length etc. Then once you have a close enough match, add your permanent color.

OR, you can go to a color corrector :) They are expensive but sooooooo worth it.

long&blonde
January 10th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I think it looks pretty too.

millyaulait
January 10th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Thank you so much everyone! :D :heart:

I'm not sure which suggested route I will take just yet, but I really appreciate having options now!

I am going to give my hair a rest for a few days, and maybe by then I will have chosen what to do. :o

Anje
January 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
First, an observation about color removers: They will temporarily make your natural color look a LOT lighter. I noticed it when I tried it on my hennaed hair (didn't do much long-term), and I recall a few others making this observation too. That's probably what you have going on with your roots. Don't freak out yet, but give it at least a few days to a week to settle in.

Second, I imagine that your base color under the black dye is no longer very close to your natural color. Another round of color remover (or vitamin C) might lighten it further, but be aware that you might have hair that's lighter and oranger than your natural color under it all. A toner will probably be your best option there, but because of the first effect, I still am not sure that's something you want to do immediately.

For what it's worth, I agree that your hair looks really shiny, nice, and has some neat colors happening at the moment, even though I get that you'd really rather have your hair be one unified color.

Kaelee
January 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Unicorn
January 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Another here who loves the reverse ombre effect. :)

Perhaps a temporary or semi permanent colour will make it more even without causing damage?

Unicorn

AnnaB
January 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I have to say I really like the colour you've got noW. It is pretty and shiny. I cannot advise how to get to your wanted colour but I would say leave your hair be for now (2 week rule) oil it and moisturize it and then see how you feel in two weeks. Because is your desired colour really worth to ruin the health of your beautiful hair?

jrmviola
January 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM
It looks pretty and shiny as it is now. If you could put up with it as is and dont dye anymore then you would have a short head of blond in a year or two. Or if you put up with it for 4 more years then it would be about the same length of blond as it is now... But it looks nice now :D

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 03:06 AM
You can use colour removers several times and may need to for dye build up.