PDA

View Full Version : Extra care for the face framing hair?

Misschilly
January 9th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I've recognized that my hair close to the face (do you call it face fraiming? I'm not naitive English) seems to be more dry and damaged, and when I braid it that section always seems thinner.

How can I protect this part of my hair more?

I always have my hair up in some sort of bun, I don't feel comfortable with it loose! Should I oil more? Some smart hair styling? Someone else having the same problem?

Thank you!

Misschilly

Lyv
January 9th, 2014, 01:17 PM
My hair was like that too and I just added some extra leave in and some coconut oil and it seemed to help some. Have you tried trimming it a little bit to get rid of the damage?

vanillabones
January 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I have the same problem, my hair is extremely fine and thin regardless but the face framing pieces either have a short terminal length or are so susceptible to damage that they are frail in dry. I'll be waiting for more answers!

Misschilly
January 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM
My hair was like that too and I just added some extra leave in and some coconut oil and it seemed to help some. Have you tried trimming it a little bit to get rid of the damage?

OK, I will try to baby it a bit more! Yeah I micro trim at least every 3 months=)

askan
January 9th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Do you use any special styles for sleeping? I suspect that the hair at my temples is the hair that has most contact with the pillow as I sleep and that might be one reason that I have a lot of flyaways and shorter hairs in that area. I'm not sure how to protect those hairs from friction though.. I have a satin pillowcase but I don't always wake up with my head still on it! I usually frenchbraid or sleep with my hair loose, but a sleep cap would maybe be better?

Then, most people have shorter hairs around their face. It might be that those hairs have a different quality than the rest of the hair.

Misschilly
January 9th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Do you use any special styles for sleeping? I suspect that the hair at my temples is the hair that has most contact with the pillow as I sleep and that might be one reason that I have a lot of flyaways and shorter hairs in that area. I'm not sure how to protect those hairs from friction though.. I have a satin pillowcase but I don't always wake up with my head still on it! I usually frenchbraid or sleep with my hair loose, but a sleep cap would maybe be better?

Then, most people have shorter hairs around their face. It might be that those hairs have a different quality than the rest of the hair.

I had my hair up during sleep for a long time and in a braid untied in a satin cap for the past months!

HintOfMint
January 9th, 2014, 03:54 PM
This may be due to two issues. First, the hair that constitutes the face-framing layers tend to be finer and silkier than the rest of your hair, and this makes it more delicate and susceptible to damage.

Second, to create face-framing layers, hairstylists often create them by separating that section of hair and "slicing" a razor or a pair of scissors down the length. This technique often creates lots of splits. With very coarse hair and a very sharp pair of scissors or a razor, this shouldn't happen, but that's not the case in most instances. Whenever I have a hairdresser do this for the layers in the front, it's split ends galore within a month.

The next time you go for a trim, ask them to snip or cut in layers rather than doing the razoring or slicing technique. In the meantime, baby your hair and make sure to protect it from friction which can cause more tangles and breakage.

TrapperCreekD
January 9th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I've never noticed this; if anything, I think my face framing bits look better than the rest of my hair because they get the benefit of the sebum more than my length. I can't speak for what hairstylists do with layers, I just decided how long I wanted them and *snip* with the scissors, no fancy cutting.

meteor
January 9th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I wonder if it's genetic. My face-framing hair is naturally lighter and finer than the hair at my nape (much thicker hair strands), even at the very roots. I think lots of people have the same situation. It's possible that the canopy hair is more exposed to the elements (e.g. UV) and grooming (brushing, styling), and that hair ends up being more fragile.

Crumpet
January 9th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Yup! Mine too! Its worsened because my stylist did just what Hintofmint described above. They split quite a bit after a haircut last April (my LAST professional one!) and, although I S&D and microtrim, these layers are shorter than the rest of my hair. These hairs are also more delicate and seem to generally suffer more. I wear a sleep cap at night and bun my hair during the day, which helps some. I also use coconut oil on the ends....but any other ideas would be appreciated!

vanillabones
January 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Mine is natural not from any cut layers :( I think for me it is genetic and they are just not meant to grow that long.

Rio040113
January 9th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I have blunt bangs and face framing layers, I tend to apply a little extra oil to them at night but other than that I don't worry about them too much, they get trimmed way more than the rest of my hair and I never see any splits or signs of damage in them :)

vickinight
January 10th, 2014, 12:39 AM
I've always wondered about this too!

Personally, what I've noticed is that that the face-framing hairs (including the baby hairs) undergo more mechanical stress (brushing, rubbing, getting pulled back by hairbands, etc.) than the hairs "deeper in" that are surrounded by other hairs BUT THAT that these same hairs also get more facial moisturizer or skin care (when I'm good about doing these things) and also get more oil on them when oiling...

I think the biggest thing to be on the lookout for though is a receding hairline, whether from hormones or traction alopecia(?) (from pulling back hair too tightly).

Happy Growing!

Tota
January 10th, 2014, 02:04 AM
I suspect that the hair at my temples is the hair that has most contact with the pillow as I sleep and that might be one reason that I have a lot of flyaways and shorter hairs in that area.

I suspect the same thing! About three years ago the hair on my temples shed all at once. It was very visible and concerning - it looked like I was balding :( Since then I improved my haircare and nutrition and some hair did grow back, but it's shorter (it only grew to about 4 inches and then stopped growing) and thinner than it was before. The other face-framing hair is not in the best condition either (I think the reason would be what askan is saying), but at least it grows as it is supposed to.

ErinLeigh
January 10th, 2014, 02:22 AM
My hair there doesn't grow as well. Definite quality difference in the temple area.. Its a bit finer, curlier and weaker. I always assumed it was from sleeping on it, touching it more, glasses grabbing on, more sunlight exposure etc etc.
I think the way it is cut does attribute to it as well. I have lately been making sure to put a coconut and hemp seed oil mix on it to get some strength in it. It seems to be working a little.

lapushka
January 10th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Hair at your temples is a little "weaker", maybe? No, that's not the word... More prone to damage? No that's not it either... Finer, maybe than the rest of the hair?

Misschilly
January 10th, 2014, 05:09 AM
This may be due to two issues. First, the hair that constitutes the face-framing layers tend to be finer and silkier than the rest of your hair, and this makes it more delicate and susceptible to damage.

Second, to create face-framing layers, hairstylists often create them by separating that section of hair and "slicing" a razor or a pair of scissors down the length. This technique often creates lots of splits. With very coarse hair and a very sharp pair of scissors or a razor, this shouldn't happen, but that's not the case in most instances. Whenever I have a hairdresser do this for the layers in the front, it's split ends galore within a month.

The next time you go for a trim, ask them to snip or cut in layers rather than doing the razoring or slicing technique. In the meantime, baby your hair and make sure to protect it from friction which can cause more tangles and breakage.

Oh my bad English made you missunderstand, I don't have layers, it's just the hair close to the face=)

sarahthegemini
January 10th, 2014, 07:14 AM
My 'face framing' parts are natural too, meaning, I haven't had my hair layered yet the face framing parts are shorter (and wavier) than the rest of my hair. It's strange. Maybe they do need extra care, hmmm.

Decemberrose
January 10th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I don't know if this is true, just a thourght...
But maybe the face framing hairs are grown from the fine babyhairs around the temples and are not really a part of our natural hair? Maybe it's more facial hair that has grown in to be a part of our hair, hmm...
I think that this hair can be extra thin because of constantly tucking it behind our ears.
Protect it from the elements and maybe wear it up, like you say you do all the time.
Maybe a scalpmassage could make the new hairs grow out stronger. :)

So many ideas, so little time...

Tinyponies
August 17th, 2019, 11:13 PM
*resurrects thread*

I’ve been noticing my face framing hairs again the last couple of days - I appear to have gone a long while without looking at them at all.

Last time I paid close attention was probably around December when I last did any kind of thorough s&d session and every hair in that area had one or more breaks or splits and they ended up pretty short.

They’re like that again now, all broken. I feel that these hairs’ natural growth is very different in quality to the main head hairs, and have a piece-y fragile-ness in addition to the extra damage from being at the front, exposed to the elements etc etc.

I’ll try oiling them more often, I tend to not oil between washes these days because every bit shows up. It’s a little annoying because I’m super careful since coming here last October, and wear my bun usually with a head wrap or scarf covering all of my hair and they honestly haven’t changed at all so I guess I might start s&d-ing them again which will likely put them permanently around cbl-apl.