PDA

View Full Version : The no trim challenge for 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3

bunzfan
January 9th, 2014, 02:40 AM
I cant see that anyone has started one this year so who's with me ?? s and d allowed of course my last trim was in June 2013 hoping to not trim till Jan 2015 ...:pray:

hanne jensen
January 9th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I'm in until 8 July. Then I'll rejoin for the rest of the year.

Leery
January 9th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I'm in! Trimmed off way too much last year...

butterflybutton
January 9th, 2014, 03:34 AM
I'm in! I'll be trimming again January 2015. Or after I reach APL whichever comes last.

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2014, 03:45 AM
I'm going to try this. I had my ends dusted in December.

Rio040113
January 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I'm in too :) I did a micro-trim/dust at the end of October, so with plenty of S&D sessions, I'm hoping I can make it until Jan 2015 before I trim again. Come on TBL! :lol:

bunzfan
January 9th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Forgot to say what my goal is :lol: to get past TBL so i can trim back to that length and get rid of some damage...welcome everyone lets keep us all motivated i find just putting it up and ignoring my ends is working great as is going back to cones it seems to be protecting my finer strands more. Plan on trimming 2 inches first week of Jan 2015.

Only 11 MONTHS TO GO :disco: :applause

Kittykins
January 9th, 2014, 04:36 AM
I'm in! I did a dusting just after Christmas and will next trim in January 2015. Aiming to grow to a length where I can do a lot of buns etc and then maintain until my henna is all gone. I'm guessing that this will be around hip. Can't wait to see how much growth I can get! I am also wearing my hair up for a year and have gone back to cones.

mariakatija
January 9th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I'm in! I've been wearing my hair up so damage is minimal. I should reach BCL by 2015.

julee
January 9th, 2014, 04:54 AM
I'm in for sure :) I had to trim quite a few inches last year unfortunately due to shedding :(. This year is looking good for no trims, especially since I hennaed for the first time, my superfine hair seems much stronger :). I'm almost at waist now, hoping for hip length.

Covet
January 9th, 2014, 04:56 AM
I'm in! My last trim was on the 10th October and I've worn it up almost every say since. It will be hard for me because my ends are bleach damaged but I'm determined to soldier through.

Sterlyn
January 9th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I am in, I have finally lost the itchy scissor fingers I have had problems with in the past. My last run in with the scissors was in July and I have no plans to trim until at least 2015 or not if my ends are still holding up well.

EvelynMay
January 9th, 2014, 05:57 AM
is the no trim to achieve longer length faster? Sometimes I feel this would help me get to my dream length, but it would be hard for me to forgo getting trims as my ends become unkempt after several months between hair trims. Are you including or excluding trimming split ends as needed? I'm curious :D

ProverbsGirl
January 9th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I'm in, at least until December2014. I had a small trip December 2013...and figured I would make December my trim time until I get closer to goal. I don't have an issue with not trimming..I avoid it like the plague.
Oh and I will still be trimming my bangs of course. :)

bunzfan
January 9th, 2014, 06:54 AM
There seems to be plenty of us already :D

rock007junkie
January 9th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I am definitely in for this year. I big chopped back in September. My hair is now APL when stretched and shoulder length curly. Since I cut so much hair this year and it is really healthy I don't foresee doing any more cutting for a while.

antler_tines
January 9th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I want to try! It might be hard for me because I'm coming into this with a bucket load of split ends :-/ But I will try!

bunzfan
January 9th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I want to try! It might be hard for me because I'm coming into this with a bucket load of split ends :-/ But I will try!

Do a good s and d session with sharp scissors :D i do it every 6 weeks.

EvelynMay
January 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Do a good s and d session with sharp scissors :D i do it every 6 weeks.

so then there is split ends maintenance for such a challenge? It is just giving up substantial trimming?

bunzfan
January 9th, 2014, 09:31 AM
so then there is split ends maintenance for such a challenge? It is just giving up substantial trimming?
Yep that's right no trims or micro trimming but cutting splits and dots in my case is fine.

blue_eyes
January 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I'll try this. My last cut was in August 2013 where I lost several inches, and I'm trying to get them all back. I'm also growing out dye, so I'll have to do some trimming eventually to cut it off...but I'll try to hold out for a whole year.

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I forgot my goal. I'd like to reach waist or mbl. I'm at bsl and had a dusting so I should be ready to go.

moon2dove
January 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I'm definitely in! My last micro-trim was in December 2012 after a year of no trims.
All through 2013, I have looked after my fragile, dry ends and only done regular S&Ding.

I'm happy to go another year without any trims.

My hair has grown to between Waist & Hip - Hoping for BCL by the end of the year!

Good Luck everyone!! :)

Spindle
January 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I'm in too, last trim was 2 years ago. Will do lots of S & D though!

Johannah
January 9th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I'm in too! :guns:

It's going to be the hardest challenge ever because I'm dying to cut off the longest layer to get rid of my layers and to get a blunt hemline, but with the sort of U-shaped I got right now, it's easier to do some updo's! Plan is to let it grow the entire year. My hair grows around "0.5 a month, which means I'll be around 36.5" on December 31. On January 1 I'll cut myself a blunt hemline without layers to start 2015 properly. :D

bunzfan
January 9th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I'm in too! :guns:

It's going to be the hardest challenge ever because I'm dying to cut off the longest layer to get rid of my layers and to get a blunt hemline, but with the sort of U-shaped I got right now, it's easier to do some updo's! Plan is to let it grow the entire year. My hair grows around "0.5 a month, which means I'll be around 36.5" on December 31. On January 1 I'll cut myself a blunt hemline without layers to start 2015 properly. :D

That's what I did when I last did a no trim year in 2011 grew from bsl to waist and cut to bsl again to rid myself of my longest layers I had alot and it was so worth it then did it again to get back to waist just keep putting it up first thing is the key and if I get the urge to trim coz I can be a bit trim happy I get out my knitting works every time to distract me...

So many people have joined yay :joy:

Not entirely sure of my growth rate but that would bring me up to nearly 37" which is past tb on me as 42" is classic sometimes I get a inch a month so you never know I could be near classic.

YamaMaya
January 9th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Just trimmed in January, let's see if I can make it to June without having to trim :D

lapushka
January 9th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'm in until Christmas 2014, when hopefully I'll hit TBL! :) Might be in for the full year, though. We'll have to wait and see how fast my hair grows. :D

Hootenanny
January 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I'm in! Haven't trimmed since February 2013, so I'll be one year trim-free soon. It went well, so I'm in for another year! :)

kdaniels8811
January 9th, 2014, 05:17 PM
As you can see in my avatar photo, I have not trimmed since August 2010, when I started growing out from bald. The longest pieces are at waist! Yay! Eventually I will trim the layers up more evenly but not until it is much longer. I wear it up every day anyway so the uneven lengths do not bother me. No trims for 3 1/2 years!

Ksears4
January 9th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I am in. I will s&d when I can, right now my hair is just at shoulder so I can s&d the front part of my hair and not the back. But I really want to gain some inches this year.

Taenarian
January 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Heh, been wondering when this thread would appear. Did a minor self-trim just before New Year's to firm up my hemline in anticipation of a no-trim challenge! I'm in!

ArienEllariel
January 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM
In. Not a problem for me. :)

hairpleasegrow
January 9th, 2014, 07:54 PM
yes i am in too, at least til august 2014

hairpleasegrow
January 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM
In addition to my previous post, I am going to start practicing hair meditation and visualize my hair at my goal length....i'm going to be vigilant about vitamins and my eating habits, keeping my hair up, and try some new things like cat nip soaks. Let's do this!!! I'm excited :)!!!! i will try to not trim to december 2014 (i previously said August.....not that anyone cares but there is something about putting something in writing :-))

Laura-Anne
January 9th, 2014, 11:14 PM
My last trim was in October. I don't know if I can make it a whole year, but I will definitely try! I want to make it to TBL by Christmas and then maintain at that length for a little while to clean up my hemline. From then I will decide if I want to go longer (which I probably will:)). WE CAN DO IT!

Tini'sNewHair
January 9th, 2014, 11:40 PM
I havent trimed since the 17 May 2012 when i did one last huge chop of my hair to cut out damage (to just bellow shoulders). Im starting to really want a trim now but I really want to hold off until hip (I should be able to reach hip by the end of this year). My ends are great, no splits because most of my splits (and not many either) are further up randomly placed which i think it was caused by having pony tails with bad elastics but ive stopped that damaging hairstyle so now i'm doing a lot of S&D and i wear my hair in braids and felxi 8 until i learn other updos. I just joined the Wear Hair Up Challenge as well, I plan to keep my hair up until May this year and not look at my length until then (It will be my 2 year anniversary since the big chop!) and im very hopefuly that i will be at waist by then because im very close to it now :)

Islandgrrl
January 10th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Well, why not? I'll join. My last trim was a few weeks ago. If I leave it alone I should be at least at knee by the end of the year, maybe a little bit past.

RubberDucky
January 10th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Sure, I'll give it my best shot. My last pixie cut was July 2013 and apart from one tiny mullet trim (and keeping my bangs short) I haven't cut it since.

July is my first goal - I want to know how far I can get in a year - but if everything looks okay, I'll keep going.

madhu.m
January 10th, 2014, 01:24 AM
last time i trimmed was feb 2013..

hanne jensen
January 10th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Not having the option of constantly dusting or cutting, I've noticed that I'm much more careful with my hair and ignore it much more. All that handling trashed my hair.

My year of no trimming is from July to July. After a year of not trimming I need a tiny trim as my hair is so uneven. Not due to breakage, but uneven growth paterns. My hemline is already very crooked and it's only been 6 months.

cdonald2
January 10th, 2014, 04:07 AM
im in till about june :D

katelinn
January 10th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Sure,I am in. Last cut was 1,5 cm in August or September 2013, so I am up for a year of growth, maybe I will finally reach my goal of classic!!

bunzfan
January 10th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Sure,I am in. Last cut was 1,5 cm in August or September 2013, so I am up for a year of growth, maybe I will finally reach my goal of classic!!

We may reach it together my hair grows fast i think it's the peanut butter :lol:

katelinn
January 10th, 2014, 06:41 AM
We may reach it together my hair grows fast i think it's the peanut butter :lol:

I might just have to buy some peanut butter then :D

christinemariep
January 10th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'd like to join you all too! (I'm also giving up color until I reach my goal length of waist, so it'll save me some money in visits to the hairdresser). The only exception I'm allowing myself is trimming my bangs. My last haircut was in August of 2013, so that'll be my one year mark. Good luck everyone! :cheer:

Rio040113
January 10th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Does this mean I can scoff even more Reeses peanut butter cups, in the name of hair growing? :lol: I'm sure there's a scientific (and tasty!) way to test it out, I'd be happy to volunteer for lab trials :o

bekahleigh
January 10th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I'm in! I trimmed off about two inches at the end of december to get rid of damaged ends, now just s&d for me :)

bananahanna
January 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I'm so in! last cut was in August which took me to chin & I'm currently at shoulder. I'm hoping to be between APL and BSL by the end of this year. :)

bunzfan
January 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Does this mean I can scoff even more Reeses peanut butter cups, in the name of hair growing? :lol: I'm sure there's a scientific (and tasty!) way to test it out, I'd be happy to volunteer for lab trials :o

:lol: go right ahead let's hand the peanut butter around apparently not only is it high in protein but also biotin I also drink protein shakes when I can afford them I seem to get a good inch a month with them.

bunzfan
January 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM

:lol: go right ahead let's hand the peanut butter around apparently not only is it high in protein but also biotin I also drink protein shakes when I can afford them I seem to get a good inch a month with them.

Johannah
January 10th, 2014, 11:18 AM
That's what I did when I last did a no trim year in 2011 grew from bsl to waist and cut to bsl again to rid myself of my longest layers I had alot and it was so worth it then did it again to get back to waist just keep putting it up first thing is the key and if I get the urge to trim coz I can be a bit trim happy I get out my knitting works every time to distract me...

So many people have joined yay :joy:

Not entirely sure of my growth rate but that would bring me up to nearly 37" which is past tb on me as 42" is classic sometimes I get a inch a month so you never know I could be near classic.

I joined the wear your hair up challenge and that helps a lot! Otherwise I'd already cut it :p

Rio040113
January 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM

*goes all Mr. Burns* Excellent!

Soltimus
January 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
I'm in! :D Had my annual trim at the end of December last year and am looking forward to seeing what length I can get to my the same time this year with no trims (other than a bit of S&D, of course). Am at waist now so hoping to tail bone.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 10th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I hope I may join in here. I just had a trim to even up my ends on 3rd January and am back at MBL after just brushing waist. Now that my ends look better I would like to see where I get to by the end of this year, hoping for TBL - being optimistic, you see. (trots away to search the cupboard for the peanut butter) :)

coconutinsight
January 10th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I'm in, I trimmed way too much last year! My goal is waist, 5.5 inches to go :)

Berlie
January 10th, 2014, 06:38 PM
My last trim was July, 2014 and I'm hoping to hold out another 6 months. I got a great trim and shaping the last time, and I think I keep my hair in pretty good condition, so hopefully I can make it till Summer.

Rebecka
January 11th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I'm in!!! I cut my hair of in September, and now it's somewhere between shoulder and APL. My goal will be BSL!

bunzfan
January 11th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I discovered today that I can just do a log roll updo just it will look even better with tailbone length hair, motivation indeed to keep going :joy:

bunzfan
January 16th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Darn damaged ends!!! back in June my hair was littered with white dots that is why i cut back to waist yet again, so i got new scissors and even though i hardly have 1/2 of what i normally get split wise and dots i still have a fair amount!! i'm sticking with the no trimming till July it will be past 1 year since my last trim then i'm hoping the splits will reduce even more :pray: as i am doing s and d regularly but it is so disheartening .

I dont want to cut back to waist again because, i'm just making some good progress the plan was to chop off as much of the damaged ends in Jan 2015 so at least 2 inches but just come to moan.

Of the Fae
January 16th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Guys I am in! I'm even growing out my ridiculous shoulder length mullet!! (which I am actually wearing in a bin right now, can you imagine XD)
So no trims in 2014 for me, unless completely necessary! As in million splits necessary.

bte
January 16th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I am in, as indeed every year. 2014 is a special year for me, as June 24 will be 20 years since my last trim. Good luck to all non trimmers and happy growing.

lapushka
January 16th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I am in, as indeed every year. 2014 is a special year for me, as June 24 will be 20 years since my last trim. Good luck to all non trimmers and happy growing.

If you don't mind me asking... How long is your hair. You didn't seem to have filled out your length in your information.

Komao
January 16th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Hi bunzfan, I took your advice as I was sort of scissor happy and have not trimmed since end of July 2013.
I'm really happy with growth and the way it looks. I've never gone this long with out a trim or dusting.
I'd like to fully commit to this challenge but since I've never gone more than almost 6 months, I just don't know how my hair will be. I will not be trimming though until I see damage. So wish me well and maybe I can go this year without any trims. I'm hoping to be at TBL by Xmas 2014. :magic:

bunzfan
January 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Hi bunzfan, I took your advice as I was sort of scissor happy and have not trimmed since end of July 2013.
I'm really happy with growth and the way it looks. I've never gone this long with out a trim or dusting.
I'd like to fully commit to this challenge but since I've never gone more than almost 6 months, I just don't know how my hair will be. I will not be trimming though until I see damage. So wish me well and maybe I can go this year without any trims. I'm hoping to be at TBL by Xmas 2014. :magic:

Yay well done you if I can do it you can your hair is much coarser than mine I just do a pre wash oil soak and I use cones and s and d monthly, you may find like me that olive oil softens hair more as I have lots of coarse strands keeping it up and ignoring it is key.

PeaceTeaRules
January 16th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Count me in! My last trim I think, was sometime during May-June of last year anyway... So, I'm in!

Happy growing everyone! I wish I could calculate how much length I would have by December 2014, but I don't have a monthly estimate of hair growth... IF I'm lucky I'll make it to waist. :D

bte
January 16th, 2014, 10:36 AM
If you don't mind me asking... How long is your hair. You didn't seem to have filled out your length in your information.
Thanks for asking. Not very long. It grew to a frsction above the male equivalent of BSL and has remained there ever since,. However, having been severely ill towards the end of last year, and now feeling better, I think a few strands have grown a bit longer, so I might see a bit more growth!

lapushka
January 16th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for asking. Not very long. It grew to a frsction above the male equivalent of BSL and has remained there ever since,. However, having been severely ill towards the end of last year, and now feeling better, I think a few strands have grown a bit longer, so I might see a bit more growth!

Thanks for answering! Hope you get more growth. Good luck to you! :)

bte
January 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for answering! Hope you get more growth. Good luck to you! :)
Thank you! Let's hope for a good year for us all.

Ice princess
January 17th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Im in as well. Not trimming until im past waist (unless it looks awful and dry). Im currently BSL and my last trim was in August 2013.

bmcfarland
January 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I'd like to join! My last trim was a couple weeks ago, and waaaaay too much was taken off. Plus, my hair was thinned. -cries- Happy growing, everyone!

PurpleSunshine
January 17th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Well I have trimmed only 3 times in the past 6 years, so I am in. Im almost at classic length, and hoping to eventually get to knee length, so Im going to keep growing it.

Ocelan
January 17th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I will try this too until December 26th, so that would be a full year of not trimming! I think my 2 inches cut at christmas should be enough for me to bare with the rest of my layers for a year now. I trimmed nearly 5 inches (or 12 cm) in the past year so I think I'm allowed to not cut for a while.

I will do S & D (been a bit lazy about that lately, but I have an excuse! There has been no light on this part of the planet in weeks or even months!). I will do one session this weekend.

The only occasions I am allowed to trim is if for some miraculous reason I would surpass my goal length of 100 cm of hair at which length I intend to maintain (not going to happen as it's still 16 cm or 6 inches away) or if something horrible happens to my hair.

I'm also not measuring more than 4 times a year so staying away from the measuring tape should keep me away from scissors aswell! :)

Snorman
January 17th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I'm in! Last trim was in August last year..
I really want to get my hair to my waist, it's BS now...
Long way to go! :(

bunzfan
January 18th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I'm desperately trying to stay in this challenge I'm growing old old dye and heat damage in truth only have a few inches left but the splits and dots through the last inches just seem to grow and grow so I did yet again a long. S &D session and it feels and looks better don't know if my ends can take a full year of not trimming but I'll give it my best shot by doing weekly deep treatments and cutting out any splits I see fingers crossed.

Ocelan
January 18th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I'm desperately trying to stay in this challenge I'm growing old old dye and heat damage in truth only have a few inches left but the splits and dots through the last inches just seem to grow and grow so I did yet again a long. S &D session and it feels and looks better don't know if my ends can take a full year of not trimming but I'll give it my best shot by doing weekly deep treatments and cutting out any splits I see fingers crossed.

I know how you feel! I also have old dye damage, some heat damage (even though I very rarely used heat tools anyway, but when I did I never used heat protectants), layers and just neglect damage from my pre LHC days. So I'm not sure if I can do it, but I will surely try as it was really depressing to see that in the last yer I cut off nearly all my growth trying to get rid of layers and damage. December 2012 I had just reached hip length with my longest bits and at christmas 2013 I was just 1 inch past hip length again. Strangely still one of my friends commented that my hair just keeps growing, so I guess my hemline thickening up shows. She has collarbone length hair herself though and doesn't see me as often as she used to.

But this year will be about actual growth and by the end of this year I should be near my final goal. There will be lots of trimming and maintaining at that point so my hair should be able to hold on until that.

hanne jensen
January 18th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I'm kind of new to this no trimming thing and only APL. Is it possible to keep a thick hemline while not trimming?

lapushka
January 18th, 2014, 05:59 AM
I'm kind of new to this no trimming thing and only APL. Is it possible to keep a thick hemline while not trimming?

I don't see why not, but it depends on your hair. If it's fairly thick, I see no problem with maintaining the thickness at all. And you're only APL, so it's not going to fairytale much at that length! I wouldn't worry so much! Just wait and see!

bunzfan
January 18th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I know how you feel! I also have old dye damage, some heat damage (even though I very rarely used heat tools anyway, but when I did I never used heat protectants), layers and just neglect damage from my pre LHC days. So I'm not sure if I can do it, but I will surely try as it was really depressing to see that in the last yer I cut off nearly all my growth trying to get rid of layers and damage. December 2012 I had just reached hip length with my longest bits and at christmas 2013 I was just 1 inch past hip length again. Strangely still one of my friends commented that my hair just keeps growing, so I guess my hemline thickening up shows. She has collarbone length hair herself though and doesn't see me as often as she used to.

But this year will be about actual growth and by the end of this year I should be near my final goal. There will be lots of trimming and maintaining at that point so my hair should be able to hold on until that.

Yay glad I'm not the only one :D like you I spent last year and year before cutting off all my growth my hair thickness improved alot but yes it's so disheartening when you want to grow longer I'm hoping that if I continue with weekly protein and moisture treatments it'll help keep further splits at bay I have found a drop of olive oil on the damp ends has helped massively to keep moisture in my ends you could try it.

I also plan on maintaing in Jan 2015 for a good six months after a good chop of two inches which should get rid of the remaining damaged ends.

hanne jensen
January 18th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks, lapushka! I'm gritting my teeth until 8 July. This is very hard for me as I'm a former frequent duster.

Mizumi
January 18th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I'm going to avoid scissors except S&D for at least 5 moths, but if my ends will look good then I'll go further. Happy no-trimming to everyone :)

hanne jensen
January 19th, 2014, 02:53 AM
I've finally pulled myself together to make a plan. After examining a shed hair I saw that at least 18 cm of this hair is in very good shape. Towards the end of the hair it abruptly gets much thinner, weak and almost clear. This is the result of clogged hair follicles. At the healthy part of the hair it took strength to break it. The bottom part of the hair snapped in two with no effort. So, my plan is:

1 A trim every year of maximum 2 cm.

2 Keep my scalp clean no matter how lazy I get.

3 Maintain at waist for 3 months and go back to trimming once a year.

4 Maintain at BCL for 3 months and go back to trimming once a year.

5 Maintain at classic for 3 months and trim twi9ce a year for two years.

I'm hoping that this will get rid of the thinner weaker hair over time. I also will be very careful with my length to avoid damage.

KittyBird
January 19th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I'm in! I was going to do a trim in April, but my ends looked so scraggly and ugly that I ended up cutting off around 1 - 1,5 cm a few days ago. That was my first trim in almost 2 years. I hope I'll be able to go without trimming until January 2015, only doing S&D and keeping my hair up as much as possible. My goal is to reach classic by the end of December 2014, but I don't know if I can do it.. I still have quite a bit of growing to do :o

JadeTigress
January 19th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I'm in. I've got to get this pixie grown out! My plan is to try to just tough it through the mullet phase, and hopefully I'll be around shoulder length this time next year. Then get it trimmed and cleaned up a bit, and continue with no trims for another year.

alimc
January 19th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I'm in here with you guys! I'm mid-way between APL and BSL. Hoping to hit BSL by summer then trundle along onto waist.. I'm so much happier now I'm past APL tho... man that shoulder onwards is a toughy...!!! C'mon waist!!!

Lalital
January 20th, 2014, 12:46 AM
I'm in and heading straight for Classic where I plan to maintain. Less than 4 inches to go. I've been fighting the urge to micro trim and it's payed off. Ends look good due to coconut oil and s&d and it seems to be growing pretty evenly. I've lost the urge to trim for now. Yaay :applause

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I haven't trimmed in a while. I did have my ends dusted and they've already grown out. I'm going to keep going forward with my journey. My ends still look good and I'm wanting mbl or waist.

curlycrown
January 20th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I haven't been here in a while. I have cut my hair again (neck length), so this time I am all in. With no trims I hope to reach full SL or maybe halfway to APL this year.

Agnes Hannah
January 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I'm gonna give this a go. I am planning to S&D and dust on the two equinoxes but want to reach waist by end 2014 so want to maximise growth. Currently I am conditioning twice after shampooing, and oiling to seal. Also oiling ends each night, and putting my hair into a silk sleep cap, and have a silk pillowcase just for added protection. It is worn up daily too. I'm currently BSL and have 5" to grow.

bunzfan
February 2nd, 2014, 12:52 PM
How are you all getting on?? I'm finding weekly s&d'ing is working best for me and pre wash oil soak twice a week before washing another month gone only another 11months to go.

NoRush
February 2nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
I was in the 2013 challenge and while a made it to 13 months I don't think I'll be able to hold out all year again, but I'll give it a shot until I hit waist :) That should take about 8 or 10 months so... :)

lapushka
February 2nd, 2014, 01:30 PM
I'm doing OK. No urges to cut just yet and I'm slowly creeping past hip. So... great! :thumbsup:

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
I got the urge to cut (even a several months) but I'm coping too. Pfoew. :p

Aderyn
February 2nd, 2014, 02:07 PM
Haven't trimmed since May of 2013 and my hair seems to be holding up quite well. Hoping to reach January 2015 without a trim, as a minimum.

LauraLongLocks
February 2nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
My last trim was December 5th. I'm going no-trims for 2014. Next trim will be January 2015, if I think it needs it. By then I hope to be at or nearing TBL, a length at which I think I will feel okay about maintaining for a few months to even things up before heading for classic. I thought I would want to pause at waist, but I don't. I just want to keep growing.

bunzfan
February 2nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
I'm doing OK. No urges to cut just yet and I'm slowly creeping past hip. So... great! :thumbsup:

You and me both I think tb is only 3" past the jeans waist band on me but I'm ridiculous short long upper body short from waist on wards, glad you're all sticking with me I'm hoping this henna gloop I've currently got on my head strengths my ends it always used to and I'm sick of grey roots..

lapushka
February 2nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
You and me both I think tb is only 3" past the jeans waist band on me but I'm ridiculous short long upper body short from waist on wards, glad you're all sticking with me I'm hoping this henna gloop I've currently got on my head strengths my ends it always used to and I'm sick of grey roots..

Good luck with the henna gloop! ;) :D

jacqueline101
February 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
How are you all getting on?? I'm finding weekly s&d'ing is working best for me and pre wash oil soak twice a week before washing another month gone only another 11months to go.

So far I'm doing good. I'm glad you're doing good on this challenge. I'm not urged to cut. I don't even want to trim it yet and that goes for my bangs. I do love my Bette Paige bangs. I've been looking at long hair inspiration pictures.

meteor
February 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
I think I'll join this challenge. I don't think it's necessary to trim more often than once a year, if one does nothing extremely damaging to hair and the hair is not super-fine.

panffle
February 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
After going a little too scissor happy with my last trim, I think I'll try this! I know it's already february but still got enough time to join. :p

bunzfan
February 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
Good luck with the henna gloop! ;) :D

Sleeping with it on that's the bit I don't like but I do love the colour it gives and I remembered I hardly got any splits when I did it in the past..

G1ll
February 2nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
I'm in. Got a little more than planned cut at a recent salon visit. Avoiding the hair dresser may be a good thing.
Edit. Just remembered that my last haircut was the 13 of January. So technically I've already gotten a trim. Oh well. Still, no more cuts for me till 2015!

Stormcast
February 2nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm In. My last cut was the big chop to chin of August 2013.

sammiesamm
February 2nd, 2014, 09:23 PM
I'm in for this too! I havent trimmed since july 2013. I cut off five inches :rant:

FallingDarkness
February 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
I'm in!
Haven't trimmed since October. My mom will force me to get a haircut before senior pictures in August, so I'll have to get the bare minimum trim then, and then NO MORE TRIMS FOR ME. :cool:
Long hair, here I come.

Arwenlily
February 2nd, 2014, 09:43 PM
I want to join in :) My last trim was July 2013 and I want to wait until January 2015. If I keep growing at the same rate I should be at waist by October of 2014. If I wait until January to trim, I can cut off 2-3 inches if necessary.

livelycurls
February 2nd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Im in too, but I'll do it longer than 2014.

kidari
February 2nd, 2014, 10:11 PM
Fantastic idea for a thread! I am in! My last length trim was Dec 2013 lol but I did cut off a good amount, maybe more than 2 inches total in Nov and Dec. I'm only allowing myself to trim my "bangs" or face framing layers. I plan on wearing it up every single day, washing no more than 2x a week, and being diligent about treatments. I don't care how uneven my hemline becomes. The last time I didn't trim for a year it was when my hair was at chin length years and years ago. It's going to be a challenge to do this at BSL/MBL.

MaryO
February 2nd, 2014, 11:40 PM
I promised myself to have a little cut soon (I'm very uncomfortable with the idea though!!), had no trims last year!

Good luck to all the non-trimmers though!!

Coolcombination
February 3rd, 2014, 05:54 AM
I'm joining! I'll hit waist by Christmas If I have no trims, I can go 8 months without trims but any longer is going to be a struggle...

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 06:28 AM
I'm planning on doing several full S&D's at the end of this week. I hope 90% of the split ends will be gone. :o

AmberlynAsh
February 3rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
I think I'm going to jump on this wagon. Last trim I had was July 2013. I'm only going to seek & destroy until hopefully 2015 :D

CousinItt
February 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
I trimmed in early December, and seem to have found a way of hair care that minimizes the damage i was seeing last year, so I'm joining this challenge until i hit waist, where I'd like to maintain for a bit to thicken my hemline.

For those of you who have a love of peanutbutter and chocolate, this (http://minimalistbaker.com/2-layer-no-bake-peanut-butter-brownie-bars/) is my favorite way to eat it :D

Ocelan
February 3rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
I've been doing well even though I do still hate the rest of my layers. The good thing is that once this year is gone it my hair should be around maintaining length so the layers would get to catch up then. I've managed with more severe layers until now so I will survive with these ones for 11 months.

I have S&D'd some but I should probably do it more or atleast more systematically. I usually start on one side of the head and get to some point but then I forget which part of the head I did last. Do you guys cut off those little bends in the ends that don't look like damage but the hairs lay weird? I'm talking about the very last few millimeters of hair where there might be a sudden kink. I feel those catch onto other hairs all velcro-like but I don't know if they are damage or not as I usually have more of those the longer time it's been since a wash so they kind of lay back down when I wash. I sometimes cut them off but I'm not sure if i'm supposed to.

I should also probably try heavy oiling again on my ends only but I have had bad experiences with not being able to wash the oil off and feeling awfully greasy from one wash to another which is not ideal.

Johannah
February 4th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Ocelan, I cut of those weird ends when they look really really weird :p if it's not too bad, I don't. About heavy oiling: ever tried CO? This works PERFECTLY for heavy oilings. I can't get oil out with just shampoo.

Beakywitch
February 4th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I'm not intending to get a trim this year as I'm growing out a pixie chop. Last cut was October 22nd 2013. I could have a decent length of hair by Christmas if I look after it. At a frustrating stage at the moment as it's nowhere near long enough to put up. I look like a great big mess most of the time but I don't care.

LauraLongLocks
February 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM
All the layered ends of the bottom 2-3" of my hair feel so crispy to me. I do regular S&D sessions, at least once a month. The splits I find are in that layered area, because they haven't been trimmed in so long. I've been babying the ends. I guess I just need to keep S&Ding, conditioning, and slathering silk drops and oils on my ends for the next year. In January 2015, I think I will do a bi-monthly trim of a half inch until I get rid of those pesky layers once and for all. But for now, courage, give me courage and fortitude, fellow longhairs!

bunzfan
February 8th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I've been weekly s and d'ing weekly for a while now but I was doing very thick sections today I thought I'm going to exterminate all those splits so went through all my hair with very thin sections twisting and cutting off any splits I saw think that took 4 hours lastly went through my braid tassel and snipped off any I missed my hair looks so much better now, I'll see what it is like in a weeks time it's quite satisfying cutting them out. I'm definitely seeing a big reduction in the amount of splits I'm seeing when I started they were littered through the last three inches of hair.

LauraLongLocks
February 8th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I've been weekly s and d'ing weekly for a while now but I was doing very thick sections today I thought I'm going to exterminate all those splits so went through all my hair with very thin sections twisting and cutting off any splits I saw think that took 4 hours lastly went through my braid tassel and snipped off any I missed my hair looks so much better now, I'll see what it is like in a weeks time it's quite satisfying cutting them out. I'm definitely seeing a big reduction in the amount of splits I'm seeing when I started they were littered through the last three inches of hair.

Your poor eyes! I tend to do about 15 minutes a week on S&D, and my splits aren't bad, but after I clarified I found a ton more. I suppose my silk drops and oils were doing a good job of hiding those splits from me. I might want to change scissors. My good ones were abused by one of my kids so I had to throw them away. My backup pair I got at Walmart. I've been using mostly the back up pair for a while now. I'll go to Sally's and get a decent pair later today.

Covet
February 8th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I haven't trimmed since October 2013. Occasionally I get the urge to trim when I feel the difference in texture between my virgin growth and bleached ends... But when I realise that I've already been through one month of no trims it makes me feel like I can do this!

Rushli
February 9th, 2014, 12:30 AM
About how many split ends do you find a week? I read about s&d about a month ago and have yet to find a split end. I once thought i found a tiny bent end but i lost it before I could do anything. Am i blind or lucky?

Jan to Feb was the first time I kept track of my growth in inches but I estimate I had .75" of growth. IF that keeps up, I could be at my goal of hip this time next year. Originally I was just hoping waist by Christmas. I was going to start trimming off layers once at waist, but hip sounds so much better! We will see how my hair ends up growing; I could stall out any time! Plus there is the postpartum shed to look forward to in a few months :/ It always happened around 4-5 months pp before, but I can hope that it wont happen this time.

Ocelan
February 9th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Ocelan, I cut of those weird ends when they look really really weird :p if it's not too bad, I don't. About heavy oiling: ever tried CO? This works PERFECTLY for heavy oilings. I can't get oil out with just shampoo.

Oh yes, I'm a CO washer, but it seems that I'd need to CO several times in a row to get the oil out still. Might also be that my washing conditioner isn't "washing" enough for oils like that or that I don't put enough of it where there's so much more oil. But yes, I think I'll do some more trials on this to actually find out what works and what doesn't. Some experimentation after a while! I have been so set in my ways lately. :)

About how many split ends do you find a week? I read about s&d about a month ago and have yet to find a split end. I once thought i found a tiny bent end but i lost it before I could do anything. Am i blind or lucky?

From what I've heard around the LHC it might be that some people just don't seem to get split ends (lucky sobs!). It may be that their hair is very resilient or their damage manifests in another way such as the hair strands just breaking at the damaged point without a visible split. It might also be that your hair is doing good or then you just haven't looked close enough. I didn't realise I had splits until I actually started S&Ding, but then again my hair was very dye and other abuse damaged back then and there were lots of splits. Now I have very much less even though I don't S&D as often as I should.

hairpleasegrow
February 9th, 2014, 01:15 AM
I joined this thread overzealously about a month ago. Since then I did an s and d that turned into a trim, I cut off 2 inches but evened my layers for the most part. I could n't help myself too many bends too many white dots and splits, idle hands and a NEW pair of scissors ..... And I was only APL before my trim. Sigh. DON"T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID all you non trimmers!

I like what LauraLongLocks said about courage and fortitude not to trim. Good luck!

I did read a post somewhere , that someone was making peace with their split ends and accepting them. I am going to try this in the future. I will check back for the no trim challenge 2015 :)

bunzfan
February 9th, 2014, 01:34 AM
lan;2639618]Oh yes, I'm a CO washer, but it seems that I'd need to CO several times in a row to get the oil out still. Might also be that my washing conditioner isn't "washing" enough for oils like that or that I don't put enough of it where there's so much more oil. But yes, I think I'll do some more trials on this to actually find out what works and what doesn't. Some experimentation after a while! I have been so set in my ways lately. :)

und the LHC it might be that some people just don't seem to get split ends (lucky sobs!). It may be that their hair is

Here is what I do, put conditioner on oiled hair put shower cap on and let it sit for a good 30 minutes the conditioner soaks up the oil, then when it's time to wash it out wet the conditioner soaked hair a little bit add more conditioner then massage and continue as you normally would.. I normally let it sit on hair till the end of my shower. There is a article and video on it.

LauraLongLocks
February 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I joined this thread overzealously about a month ago. Since then I did an s and d that turned into a trim, I cut off 2 inches but evened my layers for the most part. I could n't help myself too many bends too many white dots and splits, idle hands and a NEW pair of scissors ..... And I was only APL before my trim. Sigh. DON"T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID all you non trimmers!

I like what LauraLongLocks said about courage and fortitude not to trim. Good luck!

I did read a post somewhere , that someone was making peace with their split ends and accepting them. I am going to try this in the future. I will check back for the no trim challenge 2015 :)

<blush> I was being dramatic.

Just think how nice your ends are now, and they won't need trimmed for a while if you treat them nice. In four months, you'll have those 2 inches back.

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I'm holding strong next month I will wear my polka dotted bra like in my December 1st picture and see if it's grown during my no trim challenge. I know my bangs have. My bangs are eye brow length.

Ocelan
February 9th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Oh that sounds clever bunzfan! I actually did put quite a lot of oil (camellia, and I'm not sure if it's still as much as most people use for heavy oilings but it's a lot for me) on my length from ears down today after I did a whole head small section S & D for about 2 hours (yay!). So now I have an oiled braid and will try your way of removing the excess tonight. After using color B4 to try to lighten my old layers of dye the long conditioning treatment doesn't sound bad at all. I usually do let my conditioner sit for a while as I wash my hair when we go to the sauna, but this time it gets to be on my head extra long.

Talking about S&D'ing, I'm quite proud of myself sticking to it this time to actually do the whole head. Like I said sometime earlier, I usually get to about 1/3 of the way from one side and then get bored or run out of light. I need daylight for it as it shows the damaged bits the best. And this time I even started on the side that usually gets neglected as I start from the other side. I should be all set for a while now. I think I will try to do a whole head S&D once a month and smaller bits other times if I feel like it.

lindsayhv
February 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I am going to join! Going to be very hard! I only recently joined LHC and I'm learning so many things. I just did my first cassia treatment last night and I threw out all my products with cones. Now I am cowashing only and trying to get my hair in better shape. My hair, especially the ends has damage from heat, bleach and old extensions (had these taken out sept 2012). I am ready to go the whole year since I really want to get to waist and I think that is a reasonable goal by the end of 2014. My question is all the s&d talk...I could use some cleaning up but never cut my own hair. I have some awful layers and want to get a more straight hemline which if I cut it I know it would be but I'm desperate to grow grow grow! Help!

veryhairyfairy
February 9th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I keep flip-flopping about joining this challenge. :rolleyes:
I haven't had a trim in over 3 months, and my ends are just fine (for them, anyway, so that's relatively speaking). I'm only about 3" away from full TBL right now, and with my regular trims, I may not even make it by Winter Solstice. Lol, I think I just decided to join! :lol:
I'm in on a "see how it goes" basis! I'm going to try not to trim until the end of the year, but I won't make myself refrain if things are too tangly and unhappy.

So if I remember, bunzfan, you'll be doing a small chop at the beginning of next year to get rid of damage, and Ocelan will be maintaining at TBL, is that right?
If I make it to the end of the year, I think I'll be doing a combination of the two. Trim up to TBL, and then maintain for a year. Feels good to have made the decision! :)

christinemariep
February 9th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I'm not going to make it this year. It's been 6 months since my last trim and I've decided I need one now due to dryness and thinning at my hemline. I'm just going to have an inch taken off on Tuesday when I go to the hairdresser. Going for trims every 6 to 8 weeks was pure sabotage to reaching my goal length, but yearly is too long between trims for me due to how fragile my hair is, so I figure twice yearly trims and taking better care of my hair will be a good middle ground for me. I had also wanted to go dye free, but in that challenge also found I am not enjoying my hair like I should because my roots look terrible to me. I believe it was the highlighting that my hair hated anyway, so I figure getting a root retouch will be the lesser of the evils for my fine, thin hair. Good luck to those of you who are continuing in this challenge. I really admire your determination!

G1ll
February 9th, 2014, 08:12 AM
On average how long does it take you guys to s&d? I want to s&d but it would take a very long time for me I'm afraid.

LauraLongLocks
February 9th, 2014, 09:07 AM
On average how long does it take you guys to s&d? I want to s&d but it would take a very long time for me I'm afraid.

I do about 30 minutes at a time. It isn't the most thorough job, but it's good enough. I try to S&D every 2-3 weeks at least, weekly is better, and monthly is minimum.

lindsayhv
February 9th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Can anyone provide a link for HOW to S&D? Thanks. Clueless me!

Ocelan
February 9th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Yes, veryhairyfairy, I'm aiming for just below TBL to 100 cm (TBL is about 96 cm on me) and then I'm going to maintain, possibly forever, but who knows. I know there is a lot of maintaining to be done for my layers and dye damage to reach that length. I meant to maintain for a while just below hip and I did micro-trim/trim 5 inches alltogether in the past year, but this length still feels so short so I figured I would dash for my goal length and then maintain.

And to lindsayhv, I believe there are many ways of doing S&D. I've heard many use the twist method where they take a section of hair, twist it and then see if there are splits in the hair ends sticking out. Others look for splits sticking out of their braid. I do the latter sometimes, but it generally isn't the greatest way for finding many splits as most are inside the braid and only some happen to stick out, but it's good to snip the splits if you see them. The former I don't do as I don't like it but it is popular.

I myself take a small section of hair and brush or fingercomb it through, then I bend it over my finger and stroke it a little "against the hairs" so the hair ends stick up more. If I see a split I cut it and once I've gotten all the splits in that point I glide the strand over my finger a bit so that I'm working a spot more toward the ends, do the same thing and keep on moving on until I'm at the ends. The very ends of the strand I then fan out and look through for splits. I don't know if anyone else uses this method (or if my explanation was any good), but it works for me the best. I'm sure there are other ways too like some people might dust all the ends that are sticking out instead of just picking out the split or broken ones, but I find that unnecessary.

ETA: Sorry I don't have a link

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM

There are some good ones on YouTube. I like the one Lucy corsetry did. She has corset videos and hair ones. She has dark beautiful hair.

bunzfan
February 9th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I do both methods mentioned above the sticky out one gets rid of most of them and it's much easier on the eyes.. My braid end is what I want to chop off beginning of Jan if I can go that long I measured it and it's just under 3 inches grow hair grow!!

Rushli
February 9th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Ocelan - thanks! I must be one of the lucky ones. I also think I must just have full breakage. With my whole wash routine I loose 5-10 hairs and most of them are in the 4-6” range.

lindsayhv - I recently joined too. There is soooo much to learn... and with that my goals keep changing. I decided to keep growing so I have a chance to try fun buns and braids and once I get long enough to do what I like, I will grow the layers out. I dont have damaged ends though. Not sure if that would change my goal or not. You could always have a mini goal. No trims until June, then re-evaluate?

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 11:49 AM

I section my hair in different parts. Each part I split up in other parts :p brown elastic = needs to be done, white elastic = done. I literally look at every hair. It's a lot of work but it's effective.

Aderyn
February 9th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Haven't S&D'd for months. I think it's time to start getting caught up. Bit intimidated to start, though I don't think I have too many splits, just been such a long time. Would like to get into more of a routine for S&Ding. If I do that, I think I may be able to stretch my full trims to once every few years instead of once a year-ish. My wavy hair and U/V-shaped hemline is quite forgiving for slightly uneven ends.

Alasa
February 10th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I'm in!! Brand new to TLHC, but been following advice and lurking on the forums for 2+ years :)

Last trim: July 27, 2013

Let's do it people!!!

RileyJane
February 12th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Oh yay I can be a part of this! I am in for this challenge, I think my hair is up for it!:)

bunzfan
February 12th, 2014, 07:50 AM
So as im trying to keep moisture in my hair so it stops breaking off at the damaged parts i did a amla treatment today it's a natural conditioner and great for pepping waves and curls and oh my word its so soft and wavy :D i left it on a hour co washed out then finished with a vinegar rinse and my hair is so clean .

lindsayhv
February 12th, 2014, 10:25 AM
My hair is frustrating me. I want it to grow faster.

LauraLongLocks
February 12th, 2014, 12:08 PM
So as im trying to keep moisture in my hair so it stops breaking off at the damaged parts i did a amla treatment today it's a natural conditioner and great for pepping waves and curls and oh my word its so soft and wavy :D i left it on a hour co washed out then finished with a vinegar rinse and my hair is so clean . Wonderful! I hope those pesky damaged parts stop giving you trouble. :) Did the amla darken your hair?

My hair is frustrating me. I want it to grow faster.
It's so hard to not check every time you pass the mirror when you first join LHC. It was for me, anyway. Every time you look your hair seems the same as the last time, and it's so frustrating. It does get better in just a few months of being here, I promise.

I've been using shea butter and coconut oil mixed together on my ends right before bed every night, and that has really made a difference in how my ends feel. They are much softer and more supple. I am not feeling the itch to trim them as much now. Just thought I would share what's working right now.

bunzfan
February 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Wonderful! I hope those pesky damaged parts stop giving you trouble. :) Did the amla darken your hair?

It's so hard to not check every time you pass the mirror when you first join LHC. It was for me, anyway. Every time you look your hair seems the same as the last time, and it's so frustrating. It does get better in just a few months of being here, I promise.

I've been using shea butter and coconut oil mixed together on my ends right before bed every night, and that has really made a difference in how my ends feel. They are much softer and more supple. I am not feeling the itch to trim them as much now. Just thought I would share what's working right now.

Thanks, no its just a natural conditioner will not colour hair.

bryana
February 12th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I'd love to join! I haven't trimmed since Sep 13, I'd like to not trim until 2015.

Aderyn
February 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM

Haha, I remember this feeling very well. That was prior to me joining LHC when I just lurked for months prior to joining. One minute, look at my hair, a couple days later do a length check - why hasn't it grown very much?! This takes forever!

I try not to think about my length too much as I know that will just drive me crazy trying to determine how much it's grown. It's a nice surprise to do a length check after 6-7 months though and see significant growth. Hurray for benign neglect and the wearing your hair up challenge :)

lindsayhv
February 13th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I definitely have become obsessed with my hair, this forum, and products. I need to chill out! It's totally affecting my ability to get my work done!

mrs_coffee
February 13th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I chopped my hair, which had reached waist-length, to chin length at the beginning of the year, to get rid of henna and damage. I am committed to no trimming for 2014.

LauraLongLocks
February 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I definitely have become obsessed with my hair, this forum, and products. I need to chill out! It's totally affecting my ability to get my work done!

I did the same thing... practically glued to the boards, and if not the boards, then youtube, and if not youtube, in the bathroom trying hairstyles and checking to see if my hair had grown. It passes, but it's awesome that you are excited. :)

Roscata
February 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I'm going to try this and I'm posting this here to keep me honest (hopefully).

YamaMaya
February 13th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I'm a month and a half in to my goal of going 6 months trim free. I must admit it is difficult to just s&d and not try to do just a little microtrimming, but I've got it in my sig to keep track and keep myself from just throwing in the towel now.

Eve 322
February 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I'm in. I got the bulk of my current length by not trimming for 3+ years. July 2013 I cut off 1.5 inches of Velcro ends (i also cut in layers, which look good when my hair is down but I regret it...my braids look awful). I'm going to do the same now.

I had the urge to micro trim today as I'm seeing some taper (still have old damage from flat ironing every day in the past)....but I refuse!! No trims until fall 2014, then I will re-evaluate my ends and decide whether to trim our not!

Snowlily
February 13th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Woohoo first post. Have been lurking for a few days but in those days, boy have I learnt a lot already!

Having had it drummed into me that I must cut my hair every 8 weeks - which resulted in my hair staying pretty much the same length for the past decade.... I have decided to join in for the no trims for 2014 - unless it gets really ratty ends and then I will go in for a dusting. I am keen to finally get to BSL for the first time in my life. Now I have finally kicked the trichy habit which has plagued me since I was 12, I feel I can allow myself the luxury of lovely long locks and I am very excited and a little impatient too to see if I can achieve the hair I have always dreamed of.

LauraLongLocks
February 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Woohoo first post. Have been lurking for a few days but in those days, boy have I learnt a lot already!

Having had it drummed into me that I must cut my hair every 8 weeks - which resulted in my hair staying pretty much the same length for the past decade.... I have decided to join in for the no trims for 2014 - unless it gets really ratty ends and then I will go in for a dusting. I am keen to finally get to BSL for the first time in my life. Now I have finally kicked the trichy habit which has plagued me since I was 12, I feel I can allow myself the luxury of lovely long locks and I am very excited and a little impatient too to see if I can achieve the hair I have always dreamed of.

Welcome! And I'm so glad you have kicked the trichotillamania (did I spell that right?). That must feel really, really good! To keep your ends looking their best, search and destroy (S&D) your split ends regularly. If you get tempted to trim because of "ratty" ends, ask for advice here first. You have a whole community of people who want to help you grow your hair long!

bunzfan
February 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Did my pre wash oil today and weekly s & d'ing it's making a difference only took a hour today lol its looking so much better we can do this only ten months to go.

jacqueline101
February 16th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I'm still leaving mine alone. I've looked for spits but haven't found any. My ends still look thick and decent so I'm continuing.

HazelBug
February 16th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I think I will join this challange. My hair typically grows pretty fast. More than the standard half an inch a month anyway. I'm also not so prone to splits. I might get annoyed with my uneven growth pattern though. My right side grows faster than my left. I'm not actually sure the last time I trimmed it. It's probably been 4 or more months though. I hope to get some substantial length this year. I'm pregnant so I expect my hair to grow extra fast for a while. But then comes the dredded postpartum shed. That will probably happen around January of next year though. So I think I can make it this year. and maybe come up with some tricks to minimize the postpartum shed.

My hair is at shoulder length right now. I really hope it grows fast!

Covet
February 16th, 2014, 04:11 PM
*repeats to self* I will not trim. I will not trim.

I've noticed growth anyhow!

Weewah
February 17th, 2014, 04:09 AM
I'm in! I did a 1" trim last week out of boredom and now I feel like I didn't even need it. I need to just leave my hairs alone! If I successfully don't trim for the rest of the year I'll be past waist:cool:

Ocelan
February 17th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I've been trying to ignore my hair length and hemline just so that I wouldn't get too fussy and feel that I needed a trim, but yesterday I took a picture because tomorrow is my 2nd LHC anniversary (yay) and I was surprised how nice my hemline actually looked. Another nice surprise was that my goal length might actually be attainable by the end of the year, atleast that's how it looked based on the picture, so I'm happy to say I don't even think I need a trim anytime soon. :) I did however do another Color B4 treatment a couple of days back (the smell only is starting to dissipate about now...) so I'll continue with the extra pampering for a while and will not do any more damaging or drying things.

ywall
February 17th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Im in! My last cut was the first week of February 2014 and before that it was January 2013. I cant wait to see it grow grow grow

kidari
February 17th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Checking in! I am a former obsessed microtrimmer, so I'm proud to report that it's been more than 2 whole months now that I have not trimmed! I was looking at pictures of my hair from late last year and some taken recently and wow it looks so much better a bit longer. Cannot wait to see this thread as the year goes on!

lindsayhv
February 18th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I need a trim so badly....

LauraLongLocks
February 18th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I've been trying to ignore my hair length and hemline just so that I wouldn't get too fussy and feel that I needed a trim, but yesterday I took a picture because tomorrow is my 2nd LHC anniversary (yay) and I was surprised how nice my hemline actually looked. Another nice surprise was that my goal length might actually be attainable by the end of the year, atleast that's how it looked based on the picture, so I'm happy to say I don't even think I need a trim anytime soon. :) I did however do another Color B4 treatment a couple of days back (the smell only is starting to dissipate about now...) so I'll continue with the extra pampering for a while and will not do any more damaging or drying things. That has to be a nice feeling. Great job!

Im in! My last cut was the first week of February 2014 and before that it was January 2013. I cant wait to see it grow grow grow I'm heading for yearly trims as well. I hope to see some awesome growth, for both of us!

Checking in! I am a former obsessed microtrimmer, so I'm proud to report that it's been more than 2 whole months now that I have not trimmed! I was looking at pictures of my hair from late last year and some taken recently and wow it looks so much better a bit longer. Cannot wait to see this thread as the year goes on! Yay! Great willpower.

I need a trim so badly.... Not sure what to say... if it really, truly needs to be trimmed, I guess you ought to trim it. If you can ignore the ends a while longer, and they aren't truly damaged, then don't trim. Good luck in reaching your goal of waist length by Christmas. Do you have pictures of waist length hair around somewhere to give you inspiration?

lindsayhv
February 18th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I look at all the lovely photos on LHC daily!! I also just hennaed to health it up a bit. I have been s&d ing a lot too to get through the year. I really want it longer!!

bunzfan
February 18th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I look at all the lovely photos on LHC daily!! I also just hennaed to health it up a bit. I have been s&d ing a lot too to get through the year. I really want it longer!!

I did this recently too, there is some gorgeous hair here but, there also plenty of us growing out damage like myself hang in there or pm i may have something i can advise about ;)

TrapperCreekD
February 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Hey guys! :waving:

I've hit a major bump in the road to no trims this year, and I need your opinions! :flower: One side of my hair is growing faster than the other and I didn't realize how uneven my hemline is until doing Feb's length shot. Depending on how my hair falls, it's really noticeable. I'm tempted to trim and even it up but I don't want to lose the length I could reach TBL or be so so close by the end of the year... On the other hand, it's up in a bun or braid 99.9% of the time, so...

http://i.imgur.com/oojMlxY.png http://i.imgur.com/62v5vln.png

(pictures are a few minutes apart) What do you guys think?

Sarahlabyrinth
February 19th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Trappercreek, since you are keeping your hair up just leave the unevenness, you can just get as much length as possible this year and do a trim at the end of the year if you want. No one will know that your ends are uneven when you have your hair up.

bunzfan
February 19th, 2014, 04:29 PM

I've hit a major bump in the road to no trims this year, and I need your opinions! :flower: One side of my hair is growing faster than the other and I didn't realize how uneven my hemline is until doing Feb's length shot. Depending on how my hair falls, it's really noticeable. I'm tempted to trim and even it up but I don't want to lose the length I could reach TBL or be so so close by the end of the year... On the other hand, it's up in a bun or braid 99.9% of the time, so...

Trappercreek, since you are keeping your hair up just leave the unevenness, you can just get as much length as possible this year and do a trim at the end of the year if you want. No one will know that your ends are uneven when you have your hair up.

Boy does your hair grow fast!!

I need to chant this quote mine is always up and I really want to get to tailbone too I get the trimming urge from habit really.. Putting it up and getting out the knitting is working so far.. I agree if you normally wear it up I wouldn't worry.

LauraLongLocks
February 19th, 2014, 07:22 PM

What do you guys think?

Boy does your hair grow fast!!

I need to chant this quote mine is always up and I really want to get to tailbone too I get the trimming urge from habit really.. Putting it up and getting out the knitting is working so far.. I agree if you normally wear it up I wouldn't worry.

Ditto. If you wore it down all the time, you might be more concerned about the unevenness, but wearing it up almost all the time, it won't really matter.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 08:00 PM
TrapperCreekD - i would give it more time. When my hair grows uneven it tends to catch itself back up. As long as it isn't bothering you too much I would say leave it a bit and see what happens then decide perhaps?

cathair
February 19th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I suppose I could join, but it's probably just about the only thread on the forum I wouldn't find challenging. I haven't cut my hair in at least 4 years (maybe more I've lost count), only S&D'ed and that is very unlikely to change now. I hate trimming or cutting my hair with a passion, it frightens/panics me, makes me feel angry and sick.

There are 3 things that are set in my mind that would make me trim it and even then I would probably wuss out. They are:

Discovering from the "2014 Monthly Length Photo Project" that I am gaining no length, or am actually losing length due to not trimming. This will take at least a year to show any results, so is no threat to trimming in 2014.
Literally not being able to de-tangle my hair any more after clarifying, chelating and S&D. This has never happened yet.
Results of hair analysis test saying than the ends of my hair are so fragged they are unrecoverable and will cause minus length. I can't argue with science. Although my cat apparently can, he has managed to destroy my collected hair samples twice now!

I could be the 'don't trim it motivator person' if you like? If you're feeling like trimming your hair, ask me what I think and I could probably give you multiple good reasons why you shouldn't :D

cathair
February 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
TrapperCreekD are you 100% certain that the picture is taken straight on? You have your arms in different positions and it looks like your right shoulder is slightly higher than your left.

If I don't take picture exactly straight on, with my body in a symmetrical position, then I end up with the same kind of thing going on. It looks like there is a chunk missing from one side, when really it is just longer in the middle. I can probably find photos of this is you want to see what I mean.

Plus you have wavy hair which will look different every time you move. You ends also look very thick too, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rio040113
February 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Still happily S&Ding every week with almost no splits (less than 3 per session easily) and minimal white dots, it's 5 months since my last trim so usually I'd be considering a 1/4" trim or so next month but onwards until 2015! Side note, I did just cut my fringe (bangs), so I feel a little naughty now even though I'm sure it's ''allowed'' :lol:

LauraLongLocks
February 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I suppose I could join, but it's probably just about the only thread on the forum I wouldn't find challenging. I haven't cut my hair in at least 4 years (maybe more I've lost count), only S&D'ed and that is very unlikely to change now. I hate trimming or cutting my hair with a passion, it frightens/panics me, makes me feel angry and sick.

There are 3 things that are set in my mind that would make me trim it and even then I would probably wuss out. They are:

Discovering from the "2014 Monthly Length Photo Project" that I am gaining no length, or am actually losing length due to not trimming. This will take at least a year to show any results, so is no threat to trimming in 2014.
Literally not being able to de-tangle my hair any more after clarifying, chelating and S&D. This has never happened yet.
Results of hair analysis test saying than the ends of my hair are so fragged they are unrecoverable and will cause minus length. I can't argue with science. Although my cat apparently can, he has managed to destroy my collected hair samples twice now!

I could be the 'don't trim it motivator person' if you like? If you're feeling like trimming your hair, ask me what I think and I could probably give you multiple good reasons why you shouldn't :D Thank you for joining to encourage us! I have been a 3-4x a year trimmer for several years now, but haven't been doing S&D until very recently (started in October). I'm only going at it for 15-30 minutes a session and I'm finding 20+ splits every time, especially in the old layered ends which haven't been trimmed since they were cut in originally. So, I need your encouragement, for sure!

Still happily S&Ding every week with almost no splits (less than 3 per session easily) and minimal white dots, it's 5 months since my last trim so usually I'd be considering a 1/4" trim or so next month but onwards until 2015! Side note, I did just cut my fringe (bangs), so I feel a little naughty now even though I'm sure it's ''allowed'' :lol: I can't wait to be where you are, with almost no splits when I S&D! I'm sure the bangs are allowed. :p

lapushka
February 20th, 2014, 07:29 AM

The second picture doesn't show it that uneven. It seems to be equal, but it's the upper layers that are making it look shorter on the side, while it's really hair from further above. I'd leave it alone!

lindsayhv
February 20th, 2014, 03:28 PM
So, if when I s&d I have to cut most of my hairs does that mean I should just trim it? What about ACV for splits? Any success?

Rio040113
February 20th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I can't wait to be where you are, with almost no splits when I S&D! I'm sure the bangs are allowed. :p

It is nice to have so few splits I must admit but your hair looks in beautiful condition in your pictures/videos, so you'll be there in no time I'm sure! Haha, it was my (not so rebellious) rebellion :lol:

Ravenwind
February 20th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I'd like to join. I cut off a few inches last month, but I have layers I'm still working on evening up. Does trimming layers every now and then count?

Or should I not trim them at all and just let them grow?

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2014, 06:41 PM
We'll I bragged too soon I found my first batch of splits and white dots Monday. I s&d them I had probably had ten of them.

cathair
February 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Thank you for joining to encourage us! I have been a 3-4x a year trimmer for several years now, but haven't been doing S&D until very recently (started in October). I'm only going at it for 15-30 minutes a session and I'm finding 20+ splits every time, especially in the old layered ends which haven't been trimmed since they were cut in originally. So, I need your encouragement, for sure!

If cheering you all on helps at all I am very glad to help :)

S&D makes the world of difference in the long run and for preventing tangles on older ends. Keep up the good work! 20-ish ends each session sounds pretty healthy to me, nothing to be worried about there :)

I heard you mention (I think?) in another thread you were a bit concerned about S&D making you hair fairy tail. I would have thought since all your hair is virgin and in good condition, it will weather at the same rate. So cutting the splits out shouldn't alter the over all shape too much. Even if it did, you won't have lost anything by doing S&D, you would just have to trim what you would have had to have trimmed anyway, if you wanted to even it up.

You may find when you stop trimming you have some racer hairs that grow faster than the others, but that is another issue. You will probably be able to tell the difference between this and S&D I would think, because they often grow much longer, or in sections or certain areas.

So, if when I s&d I have to cut most of my hairs does that mean I should just trim it? What about ACV for splits? Any success?

I think you need to weigh it up. Is it really most of your hair or is it just frustrating so it feels like it is most of it? Given the number of hairs on the average head it's unlikely to be most of them even if it feels like it at times! :)

Sometimes I feel like that about my hair, but in reality if I sit down for a 2 or 3 hour session of cutting the little splits out it feels 100% better. If there really are a huge amount you might find you need to do a few decent 2 - 3 hour sessions to feel the benefits. Once you have got the bulk of them you will probably be able to do shorter sessions if you keep them up regular basis.

If it were my hair, I would persist with the S&D for a while to see if it does feel any better before I trimmed. If it doesn't feel any better after a few good long sessions and you are having trouble de-tangling it, then it may be worth trimming to avoid more breakage. Tangling is the real problem with split ends I think. If you are coping with that, then you can probably live without a trim and keep going with S&D.

I can't say that ACV has helped my splits much, but it does make my hair feel smoother.

I'd like to join. I cut off a few inches last month, but I have layers I'm still working on evening up. Does trimming layers every now and then count?

Or should I not trim them at all and just let them grow?

What is your goal with the layers? Do you want to keep them or are you growing them out? I'm not quite sure what you mean by evening up. If you want them to be even with the rest of your hair then it wouldn't help to cut them?

TrapperCreekD
February 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, no trim it is! We always think something looks worse than it really does, right?

TrapperCreekD are you 100% certain that the picture is taken straight on? You have your arms in different positions and it looks like your right shoulder is slightly higher than your left.

If I don't take picture exactly straight on, with my body in a symmetrical position, then I end up with the same kind of thing going on. It looks like there is a chunk missing from one side, when really it is just longer in the middle. I can probably find photos of this is you want to see what I mean.

Plus you have wavy hair which will look different every time you move. You ends also look very thick too, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure it straight on - I made little marks on the floor to keep it as even as possible month to month - but I may have cropped the one picture a little harder. The shoulder thing, the cable for the shutter release is too short for hair purposes (:rant:) so slightly awkward posture is required. Thanks for the ends compliment!

The second picture doesn't show it that uneven. It seems to be equal, but it's the upper layers that are making it look shorter on the side, while it's really hair from further above. I'd leave it alone!

For the second one, I did arrange it so it fell more evenly. Funny enough it's the shorter layers that started this... In September I very unscientifically cut in some long face framing stuff and accidentally snipped some of my longest hairs on that side so it's slightly thinner and seems to have different growth rate than its friends, despite being evened up after the incident.

TBL, here I come!

cathair
February 20th, 2014, 08:15 PM
We'll I bragged too soon I found my first batch of splits and white dots Monday. I s&d them I had probably had ten of them.

10 doesn't bad, I think you can still brag about only having 10 :) Well done for finding them and cutting them off so quickly :)

cathair
February 20th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, no trim it is! We always think something looks worse than it really does, right?

I'm pretty sure it straight on - I made little marks on the floor to keep it as even as possible month to month - but I may have cropped the one picture a little harder. The shoulder thing, the cable for the shutter release is too short for hair purposes (:rant:) so slightly awkward posture is required. Thanks for the ends compliment

For the second one, I did arrange it so it fell more evenly. Funny enough it's the shorter layers that started this... In September I very unscientifically cut in some long face framing stuff and accidentally snipped some of my longest hairs on that side so it's slightly thinner and seems to have different growth rate than its friends, despite being evened up after the incident.

TBL, here I come!

I see, you have a shutter release cable! (slightly envious, they are so useful) I can understand why you need your shoulders at slightly different positions now. I think you made the right decision :) your ends really do look chunky there is nothing wispy about them :)

LauraLongLocks
February 20th, 2014, 08:44 PM
So, my daughter used my hair shears on paper. <cringe> They were a $20 pair from Sally's so I figured it was best to toss them and get another pair. While at Sally's today, the woman helping me asked me about how I intended to use my scissors. When I told her I was going to S&D, she said, "Really, you should just have it re-layered." She said she's in cosmetology school, and that's what she's learning. I said, no way, and took my paid-for shears and RAN out of that store. Of all things, getting more braid-shredders and ending up back at APL or shorter is NOT what I want to do!

cathair
February 20th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Oh no! Sorry you had to get new scissors, how annoying!

I remember reading someone one member used to put a padlock on the handles of her scissors, I can't remember whether that was to stop her trimming or to stop someone else using them. Is a little extreme, but maybe that could help? I get tempted to use mine for other things because they are always next to the computer, but it hasn't happened yet.

That's pretty scary suggesting layers to get rid of a couple of splits. I would have run too :D

LauraLongLocks
February 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
If cheering you all on helps at all I am very glad to help :)

S&D makes the world of difference in the long run and for preventing tangles on older ends. Keep up the good work! 20-ish ends each session sounds pretty healthy to me, nothing to be worried about there :)

I heard you mention (I think?) in another thread you were a bit concerned about S&D making you hair fairy tail. I would have thought since all your hair is virgin and in good condition, it will weather at the same rate. So cutting the splits out shouldn't alter the over all shape too much. Even if it did, you won't have lost anything by doing S&D, you would just have to trim what you would have had to have trimmed anyway, if you wanted to even it up.

You may find when you stop trimming you have some racer hairs that grow faster than the others, but that is another issue. You will probably be able to tell the difference between this and S&D I would think, because they often grow much longer, or in sections or certain areas.
That is very reassuring. Thank you for the detailed response.

Oh no! Sorry you had to get new scissors, how annoying!

I remember reading someone one member used to put a padlock on the handles of her scissors, I can't remember whether that was to stop her trimming or to stop someone else using them. Is a little extreme, but maybe that could help? I get tempted to use mine for other things because they are always next to the computer, but it hasn't happened yet.

That's pretty scary suggesting layers to get rid of a couple of splits. I would have run too :D Awesome idea. I'm putting a padlock on my next shopping list. Not extreme at all when you have 11 children. Genius, truly! I am serious, I *did* hustle it out of there, ha ha!

Ravenwind
February 20th, 2014, 10:24 PM
What is your goal with the layers? Do you want to keep them or are you growing them out? I'm not quite sure what you mean by evening up. If you want them to be even with the rest of your hair then it wouldn't help to cut them?

Sorry for the confusion :) I want to grow out my layers, but they're uneven because I had a very layered angled bob 2 years ago and my layers are still angled, so they're shorter in the back and longer in the front. I'm also trimming off leftover heat styling damage from years ago. So I'm not sure if it's better to keep trimming them or just to let them grow, because no matter how much I trim they look all ragged and unhealthy.

lapushka
February 21st, 2014, 06:05 AM
Hanging in there, and by this time (haven't had a trim since November), I'm about an inch closer to TBL. 5 more inches to go, or thereabouts. Yay. :cheer:

lindsayhv
February 21st, 2014, 06:41 AM
This weekend I will try an extra long S&D and I'm going to try some catnip too. Hopefully my cats won't be attacking my head.....I am definitely frustrated with the splits. It is way more than I've heard anyone mention finding in a single session, so I'm annoyed. I know there is damage. I stopped using cones about a month ago and now it is all just "out there!"
I'm going to hold on for awhile more. I also have some hideous layers I am trying to grow out. Once I hit waist, I will maintain there for a bit until I can get the layers grown out. (If I'm not terminal at MBL!)

Thanks for your encouragement cathair!!

Johannah
February 21st, 2014, 07:01 AM
If my hair keeps on growing faster than I originally thought, I think I'm going to cut my hair faster than January 1sth. Let's see how it goes in the future. :)

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2014, 09:03 AM
10 doesn't bad, I think you can still brag about only having 10 :) Well done for finding them and cutting them off so quickly :)

Thank you. I've been so busy. I found a free diagnostic center for my lap top. If weather is permitting I might go out there some time. I had to change door knobs which is no biggie. I just don't have time to get to the hardware store to get them. I hope to do this by Sunday.

Parelli4life
February 21st, 2014, 09:30 AM
I'm in for the rest of 2014. I'll confess, I cut my hair earlier this month but in my defense I cut it because I started getting headaches again. My goal this year is to get my hair up in a bun again!

LauraLongLocks
February 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
I lost count after 200 splits and white dots I found this morning. I know there were more that got left behind in the sections I did, and I only did HALF of my hair. :bigeyes:

I'm wondering if I have so many because I never did an S&D session before October, and I'm just catching up on them? It's disheartening, to say the least. I probably should have whacked off 2-3" of hair at my last salon visit in December, but I wanted to reach waist so bad!

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2014, 12:55 PM
I lost count after 200 splits and white dots I found this morning. I know there were more that got left behind in the sections I did, and I only did HALF of my hair. :bigeyes:

I'm wondering if I have so many because I never did an S&D session before October, and I'm just catching up on them? It's disheartening, to say the least. I probably should have whacked off 2-3" of hair at my last salon visit in December, but I wanted to reach waist so bad!

I think putting mine off is why I got so many splits. I did every bit of mine and counted them.

ArienEllariel
February 21st, 2014, 12:56 PM
I think my benign neglect stage is coming to an end. As a finey, I'm going to try more to treat my hair like antique lace and be extra careful when manipulating it (especially when wet). Starting to use soft tshirts to dry my hair instead of a towel and keeping it from rubbing on the backs of chairs, the couch, etc. as much as possible. I've not seen many splits overall, mainly fairy knots. Haven't trimmed since late Oct./early Nov.

Hope everyone else is still going strong! :)

lapushka
February 21st, 2014, 01:10 PM

You can leave them if you want. Controversial to say so, but I went from shoulder to hip+ last time when I grew out my perm, and my hair was riddled with white dots. The hair stayed in all that time and never broke off (except for a few strands here and there). My hair was hip+ by the time it was first S&D'ed and because I had so many white dots in it, S&D made it really thin, so much so that it had to be cut back to BSL. Wish I'd left it alone and never let my hair be S&D'ed in the first place. It hung in there, after all, from shoulder all the way to hip+.

mrs_coffee
February 21st, 2014, 01:16 PM
This weekend I will try an extra long S&D and I'm going to try some catnip too. Hopefully my cats won't be attacking my head

Whenever I make a catnip rinse my cat stalks around the kitchen yowling like crazy until I put some in a toy for him. :D

Rio040113
February 21st, 2014, 01:19 PM
S&D'd again today, found 6 or 7 splits in total, all tiny ones apart from 1 monster :lol: I guess I'd missed that one a few times! Quite a few white dots though, got the vast majority snipped today, hopefully I can round up the rest next week. My number of splits is way waaay down with this regular S&D action and my number of white dots is on a nice steady decline as well :D yayyy progress!

nyia
February 21st, 2014, 01:40 PM
Hello, joining in here! I've been keeping my hair knee-length for about five years now..

But, as always, I have questions.. I get one trim a year, with no S&D in between. Isn't that trimming? Another question: what are the white dots that are mentioned?

And, a third and major question.. I have a couple of friends who are former hairdressers. They insist that he only way I to make hair grow is to trim it often. My daughter also says this, but she keeps har hair short in, what I think is, a very ugly and unflattering style. How can cutting make it grow? What is a good answer to these people in my life who would argue it every time they see me, if I let them?

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM
Hello, joining in here! I've been keeping my hair knee-length for about five years now..

But, as always, I have questions.. I get one trim a year, with no S&D in between. Isn't that trimming? Another question: what are the white dots that are mentioned?

And, a third and major question.. I have a couple of friends who are former hairdressers. They insist that he only way I to make hair grow is to trim it often. My daughter also says this, but she keeps har hair short in, what I think is, a very ugly and unflattering style. How can cutting make it grow? What is a good answer to these people in my life who would argue it every time they see me, if I let them?

The white dots are dots on my hair towards the ends or an area of damage like a split end or breakage point.
S&d doesn't count as a trim because the hairs aren't having enough cut off to cause length changes.
The answer to trimming for growth depends on how much you trim if you trim frequently you will trim away your growth. As far as a time frame goes on how often to trim depends on your hair. As a rule of thumb trim only the damage.

Leslieslsa
February 21st, 2014, 02:22 PM
I am in! I am SO close to tailbone and I want fairy tail ends anyways!

Leslieslsa
February 21st, 2014, 02:25 PM

I used to believe the same thing, but it is a myth. What I tell people is that hair does not grow from the ends, so saying that trimming helps it grow makes no sense. It WILL however cut back on splits that could hinder growth, but it doesn't actually speed it up.

LauraLongLocks
February 21st, 2014, 07:12 PM
You can leave them if you want. Controversial to say so, but I went from shoulder to hip+ last time when I grew out my perm, and my hair was riddled with white dots. The hair stayed in all that time and never broke off (except for a few strands here and there). My hair was hip+ by the time it was first S&D'ed and because I had so many white dots in it, S&D made it really thin, so much so that it had to be cut back to BSL. Wish I'd left it alone and never let my hair be S&D'ed in the first place. It hung in there, after all, from shoulder all the way to hip+.

I really appreciate your perspective, and I hope that I'm not on the wrong path with S&D. It's just that they look so unsightly and feel funky to me. And they tend to tangle. So, I'm going to keep going with the S&D for now, until I feel that I've eliminated the majority of them. Then I'll probably be able to do a monthly, or even quarterly session, rather than doing several sessions a week.

Nadine <3
February 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM
Can I get in on this? I just did a trim a few days ago. I won't trim for the rest of 2014, except my bangs of course! :) Grow on!

cathair
February 21st, 2014, 08:17 PM
Sorry for the confusion :) I want to grow out my layers, but they're uneven because I had a very layered angled bob 2 years ago and my layers are still angled, so they're shorter in the back and longer in the front. I'm also trimming off leftover heat styling damage from years ago. So I'm not sure if it's better to keep trimming them or just to let them grow, because no matter how much I trim they look all ragged and unhealthy.

Hmm, that's a tricky one if you want to grow out the layers, but you'd really rather not trim because you don't feel like it makes much different to the quality of your ends. How long is your hair now? Is your avatar picture current? You ends don't look at all ragged in that picture!

Well done lapushka! An extra inch is great progress :cheer:

Good luck with your S&D lindsayhv. I'm sure it will pay off :) You might find you are more productive in a few shorter session in one day, or one big long session. If you get frustrated, just put the scissors down, have a cup of tea or do something else for a little while and then go back to it.

Sounds like you are doing really well Johannah :) Keep up the good work.

Don't think it matters you trimmed this month Parelli4life, we'll just start the clock from today :D

Rio040113 6 or 7 splits is very impressively low. Sounds like you're really god your S&D well in hand :)

cathair
February 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM

I don't think S&D counts as trimming, that's just maintenance, but cutting it once a year does. My understanding of a white dot is that it is a mid-shaft break in the hair. This is where the inner cortex of the hair has exploded through the cuticle which is what causes it to look white. If you see a white dot on the end of the hair, this is where the hair has snapped off, because the cortex being exposed has made it weak. There is more info about different kinds of damage here:

http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-damage.php

Cutting hair doesn't make it grow, but it can prevent the ends from breaking off with wear and age. Hair is dead and anything you do to the ends can't have any effect on the roots of the hair.

I think you are very fortunate that you have knee length hair! I wouldn't have thought with hair that long you need to take advice from any one about how to grow it. Seriously, you could just point to the evidence growing from your scalp that proves you know what you are doing :)

If you try to explain to them the science behind why that isn't true, I would guess as ex-hairdressers they may not listen because it was their profession and will be quite set in their ways. If you think they might listen you could try, but be aware you may not get a positive result.

Then you are left with two options really. Lie and say you are trimming it, just to get them off your back. Probably the easiest option. Or if you are thick skinned enough you could just tell them you don't want to in a very assertive manner, make it uncomfortable for them, so they don't ask again! It really is none of their business. I feel for you, I hate that question with a passion.

lindsayhv
February 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM
Does it look like I need a trim?
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/lhdrouillard/hair%20photos/F7612DD0-1E67-460F-9BF8-79A41629ACA0_zpsesrg7irf.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/lhdrouillard/media/hair%20photos/F7612DD0-1E67-460F-9BF8-79A41629ACA0_zpsesrg7irf.jpg.html)

LauraLongLocks
February 22nd, 2014, 07:12 AM
Does it look like I need a trim?
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/lhdrouillard/hair%20photos/F7612DD0-1E67-460F-9BF8-79A41629ACA0_zpsesrg7irf.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/lhdrouillard/media/hair%20photos/F7612DD0-1E67-460F-9BF8-79A41629ACA0_zpsesrg7irf.jpg.html)

That's what mine looks like (the layers blend in pretty well for my pictures somehow), and I'm not trimming. Just a few leftover layers that I'll trim out when I reach TBL.

Rio040113
February 22nd, 2014, 08:08 AM
<snip>

Rio040113 6 or 7 splits is very impressively low. Sounds like you're really god your S&D well in hand :)

Thank you :D I find myself doing a session once or twice a week and I'm pretty thorough (it takes me around 3 hours to do my full head, that's with low ii hair! :lol:) In all honesty I used to have pretty bad Trich, which I'm still recovering (and regrowing!) from and I find doing an S&D session when I'm stressed and tempted to pull gives me a lot of relief. I know it's not great to swap one habit for another but I figure S&Ding is pretty harmless as far as habits go ;D

----

Also, I wasn't sure where else to put this and it didn't seem to warrant a thread of its own, usually I grow 0.5" a month, sometimes less but the last 2 months I've grown a solid 1" :D I hope my hair keeps this up, Classic in 2014 would definitely be on the cards then!!

Ravenwind
February 22nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Hmm, that's a tricky one if you want to grow out the layers, but you'd really rather not trim because you don't feel like it makes much different to the quality of your ends. How long is your hair now? Is your avatar picture current? You ends don't look at all ragged in that picture!

Yeah my avatar picture is current as of last month, before I cut off a few inches and trimmed my layers. They don't look ragged in the picture because they kinda blend in with the rest of my hair, but you can really tell the difference between the condition of the ends of my layers, compared to the ends of the rest of my hair. My layers almost feel like velcro at the ends (but not THAT rough) and the rest of my hair is really smooth and soft. I don't know if it's leftover heat styling damage, because when I chopped my hair off 2 years ago my layers were REALLY short and I basically had no damage left, but it still felt rough at the ends, maybe it could just be how my hair is naturally? I hate to keep trimming them because I want them to grow long and finally get rid of them for good lol but they just don't look or feel healthy to me.

Komao
February 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Hi, I have enjoyed this thread but I didn't commit to no trims as I was not sure how my hair would be.
I really never was scissor happy but I have messed up my own hair trims and then have had someone straighten it out. So my slight trims turned into more like inches off. I have since rectified that problem.
This is the longest I have ever gone without a trim. Last chop was 7/31/13.
My hair was getting tangly and ends not so great looking. I was hoping to make it to the spring solstice at least and my birthday but I felt my hair would be damaged by then.
So I did just a dusting, today. Feels much better.
I did have nice hair growth in this period and that made me really happy.
I think with my hair, I might try what another KP member told me. She said she trimmed her hair twice a year. Considered it maintenance. If average hair grows 6" a year she would have 4" a year as she took off an inch each trim.
She has extremely long beautiful hair. I couldn't get myself to take an inch so just did dusting.
My other option might be do a dusting every 4 months? Will have to see how my hair does from this point.
I'm still really happy that I subscribed to this thread as it really gave me a chance to see growth and find out what my hair is capable of. I have oiled it, which my hair loves, worn it up mostly, no heat and all the wonderful hair tips you learn being part of LHC. Mine was looking good up to about 2 weeks ago. I'm still going to be subscribed to this thread and wish you all the best of luck & I will keep going for as long as I can with no trims. I guess it's learning that hair types are different and finding out what really works for you. :)

nyia
February 26th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I think I'm going to have to have a pretty big cut.

Yesterday, I was in a car accident that totaled my car, airbags went off, etc. I came away with very little damage, but the cordite from the airbags seems to have damaged my hair. When I was showering, there was a lot of broken hair in the shower, and now my hair has a sudden thinning about 24 inches from the bottom.

Has anyone else had this kind of thing?

cathair
February 26th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I think I'm going to have to have a pretty big cut.

Yesterday, I was in a car accident that totaled my car, airbags went off, etc. I came away with very little damage, but the cordite from the airbags seems to have damaged my hair. When I was showering, there was a lot of broken hair in the shower, and now my hair has a sudden thinning about 24 inches from the bottom.

Has anyone else had this kind of thing?

Sorry I have no experience with that type of thing, but I hope you are alright!

Ocelan
February 27th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I'm glad you didn't get seriously hurt Nyia! I haven't had any experience with airbags so I can't help you either. Could your hair have gotten stuck somewhere, perhaps between the safety belt and yourself and the impact pulled on the hairs? I believe if the impact is big enough you might not notice. It is possible that the propellant did that too though as it does work like an explosion.

My hair ends were feeling blah or mainly dry so I tried a conditioner with cones! Well, I managed to find one with only amodimethicone which should be a water soluble cone. I'm starting off slow with the cones thing. I've been cone-free for years but now I figured I might have to pamper my ends a bit to get through this no-trim year with my old damaged ends. The product also has hydrolysed protein so it might be good for the damaged hairs. The only bad thing is the scent as there just isn't much choice for products when you need to be scent-free. So I've been smelling the perfume of it all day since using the conditioner yesterday. My hair feels quite soft but slightly plasticky, but I guess that's how cones work. I guess I'll keep on using this conditioner every now and then, perhaps every other wash if I'm in the mood of being able to bare the scent until the next wash. Also I think I will do another S&D session this weekend as I did spot a few dots and splits in my braid tassel the other day when I wasn't near my scissors!

Komao
February 27th, 2014, 09:25 AM
nyia, Very sorry you had to go through something like that. It's awful but glad you are not hurt. As for your hair, I have not had that happen but years ago I had a fiasco with a gas stove. A huge bang and before I knew it was jumping in shower clothes and all. My hair was waist length and sheets of hair came out in shower. Luckily my face and skin were fine except for my eyebrows got singed. Well, there was no choice for me and I had to have it cut a little above shoulder length. It was not a hard decision as there was no way I could keep it in the condition it was in. It did make me sick though, as I wanted my hair long.
I'm hoping you will be able to find a way to salvage most of your length. I did get a lot of compliments on the cut and it was a definite change for me. My hair is almost at hip length, now. :)

lovehair10
February 28th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Hey guys!
New to this ... My last trim was September 2013, my ends seem to be okay for now, so count me in ... At least until September 2014 :D

CoveredByLove
February 28th, 2014, 06:53 PM
So glad I found this thread because I'm in on this too! :D my last trim was December 4 2013 and that will be my last. I will S&D to keep the splits to a minimum. I just reached BSL! Yay! :joy: My goal is to be WL by January 2015. (I'm 5 ft tall so will be challenging but achievable) Regular castor oil treatments has helped my growth rate too. ;)

Roscata
February 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Glad you're ok nyia. *big hugs*
I have such a hard time not trimming it drives me insane, I literally can't think of anything else and its only been 12 days. Sigh. Right now I'm thinking about how my hair was cut with a razor the last haircut I got so I think I will get split ends. Which makes me want to trim now preemptively so I don't get to that. But who's to say it will get there my hair is super short right now and maybe everything will be ok. I just wish I didn't have this compulsive need to constantly trim.

Ocelan
March 1st, 2014, 02:50 AM
The sun has been shining so I've been doing a bit of S&D today again in good light. It's funny how it seems to help even though there aren't many splits and dots to cut off. I did find one fairy knot though which for me is rare! I guess it's mainly dryness that causes my ends to feel a bit rough especially if I don't wash for a while. I think it's time for a clarify and deep treatment today.

LauraLongLocks
March 1st, 2014, 07:35 AM
I have such a hard time not trimming it drives me insane, I literally can't think of anything else and its only been 12 days. Sigh. Right now I'm thinking about how my hair was cut with a razor the last haircut I got so I think I will get split ends. Which makes me want to trim now preemptively so I don't get to that. But who's to say it will get there my hair is super short right now and maybe everything will be ok. I just wish I didn't have this compulsive need to constantly trim.
Try having someone hide the scissors from you for a determined length of time, and tell anyone who lives with you not to let you walk into a salon during that period. If you are used to regular trimming, it might be hard to switch to absolutely no trims for an entire year. Try lengthening by 2 weeks from when you usually trim, and promise yourself only to take half of what you would usually trim. The next time around, lengthen your scheduled trim out by 4 more weeks, then 6, then 8, and so on. Eventually, you'll go a really long time, and it will be a gradual change for you. Good luck.

bunzfan
March 1st, 2014, 10:58 AM
Try having someone hide the scissors from you for a determined length of time, and tell anyone who lives with you not to let you walk into a salon during that period. If you are used to regular trimming, it might be hard to switch to absolutely no trims for an entire year. Try lengthening by 2 weeks from when you usually trim, and promise yourself only to take half of what you would usually trim. The next time around, lengthen your scheduled trim out by 4 more weeks, then 6, then 8, and so on. Eventually, you'll go a really long time, and it will be a gradual change for you. Good luck.

Yes it's a hard habit to break took me a year to stop my micro trimming obsession lol..still going strong who would of believed it and we're nearly in March.

Roscata
March 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks LauraLongLocks I will try that. I definitely am a trimaholic.

YamaMaya
March 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM
I keep having the urge to s&d but I don't want to thin out my ends too much because then I'll REALLY want to trim. Just going six months is proving difficult for me, I'm so obsessive about having nice ends but it's really slowing down my growth. After just 2 months of no trims I'm noticing a real increase in length. I've even had some "wow your hair is long" comments when it's down :D.

georgia_peach
March 1st, 2014, 01:51 PM

Roscata, I just got back to my house about 10 minutes ago after setting out to a barber shop or somewhere to get my hair trimmed. Very similar to you, my last cut involved some razoring and lots of cutting with those notched scissors. I got about 5 miles from home and turned the car around. I will not trim! I will not trim.

So sorry you are going through this, too. But I'm honestly relieved to have found this thread and your post. It gives me lots of encouragement to just let my hair grow. Let's see if I can attach a picture to show the choppy whips and whirls I'm trying to ignore. :whistle:

Edited: I can't seem to link the picture here. But it's in my album under my profile.

bunzfan
March 1st, 2014, 02:02 PM
Roscata, I just got back to my house about 10 minutes ago after setting out to a barber shop or somewhere to get my hair trimmed. Very similar to you, my last cut involved some razoring and lots of cutting with those notched scissors. I got about 5 miles from home and turned the car around. I will not trim! I will not trim.

So sorry you are going through this, too. But I'm honestly relieved to have found this thread and your post. It gives me lots of encouragement to just let my hair grow. Let's see if I can attach a picture to show the choppy whips and whirls I'm trying to ignore. :whistle:

Edited: I can't seem to link the picture here. But it's in my album under my profile.

Well done you that's determination indeed we can do it.. When I get the trimming itch I do a nice treatment that actually seems to help.

georgia_peach
March 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM
Thank you, bunzfan. You have gorgeous hair, by the way!

Roscata
March 1st, 2014, 05:10 PM

I know exactly how that feels. Although I like to vent and it really helps, I have managed to do these no trim challenges 3 years in a row, so there is hope. I know we can both make it with no trims. :D

Well done you that's determination indeed we can do it.. When I get the trimming itch I do a nice treatment that actually seems to help.

Man it's been forever since my last treatment, that's a great idea! I missed you bunzfan. :D

LauraLongLocks
March 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM
Want some incentive not to trim? I got some today. I measured in and only got 1/4th inch growth in February. I'm now only 1/4th inch beyond where I was on November 27th. I trimmed (I only took off 1/2") on December 5th, and regained the length I lost on my February 1st measure-in. I'm only 1/4th inch beyond that now. If I was to stick to my every-three-month trim schedule, I would actually be losing more than I've grown since my last trim. So, although it is disappointing to measure-in and have such dismal growth this month, I have to say, it has really fortified my resolve not to trim.

Saldana
March 1st, 2014, 05:48 PM
I'm in, if I can continue to trim my bangs! I'm going to try wearing my hair up most of the time anyway, since it's almost long enough now to go up fairly easily, so not trimming would be fairly easy for me.

georgia_peach
March 1st, 2014, 05:59 PM
Welcome Saldana!

LauraLongLocks, that is really great incentive not to trim! I could come up with all kinds of rationale to trim a little here and there or "even things up". But that kind of thinking isn't going to get me where I want to be. Thanks for the eye-opener!

Ocelan
March 1st, 2014, 11:47 PM
Yep, for me it's a big insentive not to trim when I think how much length I can actually gain this year when I don't trim compared to last year. Last year I mirco-trimmed off about 5 inches and only gained 1" in length. This year I can grow that whole 6", imagine that! I should actually end up with quite a lot longer hair when the year is done after stalling around hip length for nearly 1.5 years. :toast:

bunzfan
March 2nd, 2014, 03:42 AM
Yep, for me it's a big insentive not to trim when I think how much length I can actually gain this year when I don't trim compared to last year. Last year I mirco-trimmed off about 5 inches and only gained 1" in length. This year I can grow that whole 6", imagine that! I should actually end up with quite a lot longer hair when the year is done after stalling around hip length for nearly 1.5 years. :toast:

This ^^ is how I feel I got to hip in October last year and I'm stuck here I've got a good five inches to tailbone that's my goal really but I also wanted to trim some damage out next year so I guess I'll have to see how much growth i get I'm treating my ends very gently hardly brushing at all now weekly deep treatments and daily oilings all this is keeping my ends nice.

I still want to trim a good inch or two in the new year to be rid of most of my old damage so I think next week I'll start back on the protein shakes always give me a good growth spirt.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2014, 06:24 AM
I understand everyone's dilemma. I've been at bsl since June of 2012: I had a hair trim that turned into a cut with layers, high lights, and I've grown all that out. The highlights are 100% gone. My layers are gone. I self trimmed them out. When I thought the bad times were over I ended up with damage in the back. I got this damage from wearing the same French twist with a claw clip day in and out. Yes I slept with a claw clip in my hair. I always kept mine twisted very tightly. I did this last summer. It's almost blended into my v hemline. I think I'm going to try the no trims challenge and pass. I've almost made it through the winter season. I'm not tempted to trim. I did dust my ends once that was a very light dusting by a retired hair dresser at my church. I think she dusted an eighth of an inch.

LauraLongLocks
March 2nd, 2014, 02:03 PM
Yep, for me it's a big insentive not to trim when I think how much length I can actually gain this year when I don't trim compared to last year. Last year I mirco-trimmed off about 5 inches and only gained 1" in length. This year I can grow that whole 6", imagine that! I should actually end up with quite a lot longer hair when the year is done after stalling around hip length for nearly 1.5 years. :toast: Wow, only 1 inch for a whole year! So sad, really. Now you get to keep all 6 inches of growth! :hollie:

This ^^ is how I feel I got to hip in October last year and I'm stuck here I've got a good five inches to tailbone that's my goal really but I also wanted to trim some damage out next year so I guess I'll have to see how much growth i get I'm treating my ends very gently hardly brushing at all now weekly deep treatments and daily oilings all this is keeping my ends nice.

I still want to trim a good inch or two in the new year to be rid of most of my old damage so I think next week I'll start back on the protein shakes always give me a good growth spirt. I'm back on my protein shakes now, too. I hope it works for both of us!

I understand everyone's dilemma. I've been at bsl since June of 2012: I had a hair trim that turned into a cut with layers, high lights, and I've grown all that out. The highlights are 100% gone. My layers are gone. I self trimmed them out. When I thought the bad times were over I ended up with damage in the back. I got this damage from wearing the same French twist with a claw clip day in and out. Yes I slept with a claw clip in my hair. I always kept mine twisted very tightly. I did this last summer. It's almost blended into my v hemline. I think I'm going to try the no trims challenge and pass. I've almost made it through the winter season. I'm not tempted to trim. I did dust my ends once that was a very light dusting by a retired hair dresser at my church. I think she dusted an eighth of an inch.
Yay for all of us, no trimming away all our progress!

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
Wow, only 1 inch for a whole year! So sad, really. Now you get to keep all 6 inches of growth! :hollie:

I'm back on my protein shakes now, too. I hope it works for both of us!

Yay for all of us, no trimming away all our progress!

Yes here's to all of us. Well done forum friends and family.

veryhairyfairy
March 3rd, 2014, 07:27 AM
I think I'll join you two in protein shake drinking, bunzfan and LauraLongLocks. I'm always too lazy, but I clearly remember my hair growing very fast when I drank a protein shake every day (years and years ago). Plus, I'm working out and lifting weights to get in shape for summer mountain hiking, so I need some extra anyway.

What kind of grams per day do you ladies aim for?

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM
I think I'll join you two in protein shake drinking, bunzfan and LauraLongLocks. I'm always too lazy, but I clearly remember my hair growing very fast when I drank a protein shake every day (years and years ago). Plus, I'm working out and lifting weights to get in shape for summer mountain hiking, so I need some extra anyway.

What kind of grams per day do you ladies aim for?

I'm aiming for a diet that resembles this, as closely as possible:

4 servings dairy
2 eggs
2-3 fruits
3-4 vegetables
3 servings whole grain
80 additional grams protein, in the form of meat, peanut butter, shakes, whatever it takes to get that many grams
8 glasses water (can count herbal teas as part of my water intake)

So, between the dairy, the eggs, and the 80 additional grams, I'm aiming for 120ish grams of protein every day. I workout, too, running, triathlon, weight lifting. So my body could use the extra protein.

veryhairyfairy
March 3rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Goodness, LauraLongLocks, anytime I see you talk about triathlons and working out, I remember that you have a whole passel of little'uns and I'm so impressed! :flower:

I was thinking something like 100-130grams/day for myself, so it seems like I'm on the right track. I really have no idea how much I get now, but I know it's not even the 45g/day that is recommended for someone my size. I'm glad I got myself the shake mix, because now I'll really be feeding both the muscles and the hair (and nails)! :)

In no-trim news; I've been pleasantly surprised at how few splits I find when I'm S&Ding, but the ends (last 5-6") are still pretty stiff and dry feeling. I've done the heavy oiling thing to little to no avail, and unfortunately I can't do any kind of moisture treatment (even completely rinsed out humectants make my hair literally break off when the dew point is low). I'm thinking I'll clarify and chelate next wash to rule out build-up, but after that I'm a little stumped if the ends are still unhappy.

What do you guys use as your go-to end softener?

Ocelan
March 3rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Wow, only 1 inch for a whole year! So sad, really. Now you get to keep all 6 inches of growth! :hollie:

Yes, quite sad, but then again my hemline improved a lot during that year. It went from just a few hairs passing hip to looking quite solid during that year. And now I'm growing fast (well average rate, but fast compared to last year) towards BCL!

You guys make protein shakes from protein powder, right? I've never done actual protein shakes so I don't really know how much I should use daily, or rather how much powder to mix in liquid. So far I've just added non-flavoured protein powder to my occasional smoothies, about 2 tablespoons added. I don't really like the consistency of protein shakes so I rather do this and I wonder how much I should actually be adding. I want to make good protein shakes so I will keep on drinking them. If they're nasty then I won't!

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
Goodness, LauraLongLocks, anytime I see you talk about triathlons and working out, I remember that you have a whole passel of little'uns and I'm so impressed! :flower:

I was thinking something like 100-130grams/day for myself, so it seems like I'm on the right track. I really have no idea how much I get now, but I know it's not even the 45g/day that is recommended for someone my size. I'm glad I got myself the shake mix, because now I'll really be feeding both the muscles and the hair (and nails)! :)

In no-trim news; I've been pleasantly surprised at how few splits I find when I'm S&Ding, but the ends (last 5-6") are still pretty stiff and dry feeling. I've done the heavy oiling thing to little to no avail, and unfortunately I can't do any kind of moisture treatment (even completely rinsed out humectants make my hair literally break off when the dew point is low). I'm thinking I'll clarify and chelate next wash to rule out build-up, but after that I'm a little stumped if the ends are still unhappy.

What do you guys use as your go-to end softener? Aww, shucks!

I'm really happy with shea butter and coconut oil mixed together and put on my ends every night. That seems to really help keep them soft and supple.

veryhairyfairy
March 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Yes, quite sad, but then again my hemline improved a lot during that year. It went from just a few hairs passing hip to looking quite solid during that year. And now I'm growing fast (well average rate, but fast compared to last year) towards BCL!

You guys make protein shakes from protein powder, right? I've never done actual protein shakes so I don't really know how much I should use daily, or rather how much powder to mix in liquid. So far I've just added non-flavoured protein powder to my occasional smoothies, about 2 tablespoons added. I don't really like the consistency of protein shakes so I rather do this and I wonder how much I should actually be adding. I want to make good protein shakes so I will keep on drinking them. If they're nasty then I won't!

I usually add egg white powder to my smoothies for protein, but I don't have a blender right now so I am using a protein shake powder. (http://eas.com/product/soy-protein-powder) I'm not a big fan of so much soy (especially if it isn't non-GMO certified), but this stuff mixes with water extremely well and I'm poor. :shrug: :lol:
In terms of your protein powder smoothies, it depends on how many grams of protein are in each tablespoon. Most protein shakes have 15-30 grams of protein, but any extra protein in your diet is a good start. You could also just start eating more protein, and not worry about the shake thing. :)

Aww, shucks!

I'm really happy with shea butter and coconut oil mixed together and put on my ends every night. That seems to really help keep them soft and supple.

Oh, I hadn't thought about shea butter, thanks for the idea! I have a whole bucket of the stuff and I hardly ever put it on my hair. :doh:

Ocelan
March 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
I usually add egg white powder to my smoothies for protein, but I don't have a blender right now so I am using a protein shake powder. (http://eas.com/product/soy-protein-powder) I'm not a big fan of so much soy (especially if it isn't non-GMO certified), but this stuff mixes with water extremely well and I'm poor. :shrug: :lol:
In terms of your protein powder smoothies, it depends on how many grams of protein are in each tablespoon. Most protein shakes have 15-30 grams of protein, but any extra protein in your diet is a good start. You could also just start eating more protein, and not worry about the shake thing. :)

Thank you for the reply!

I've tried to look up how much powder is in my protein powder but it doesn't say in the bag. Now I finally googled it (I have the Fast whey protein) which apparently I should be using about 1 dl (30g) to get approximately 25g more protein in my diet. Now I've been using about 1/3 of that amount, so it gives me less than 10g extra protein, which is still good as it's extra, but I could use more, maybe something between ½-1 dl. Maybe next time I'll see what more would taste like. It does give it quite a nice consistency when it's in a smoothie. It seems the whey stuff suits me quite well. I don't want to touch the soy one as I'm quite soy intolerant.

I've already tried to up my protein intake in food (more eggs and protein rich dairy products), but my problem is that I don't have time to eat as much as I burn, so I'm trying to use the quick fixes here to get enough energyin my diet. So two birds with one stone: more energy and more hair building blocks! :joy:

P.S. I love your Hyperbole and a Half signature. :P

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 04:04 PM
Protein powders vary widely in their mixability and palatability. I think I just made those two words up. I'm happy with NOW brand Whey Protein Isolate. It has 25g protein for each "scoop" which is approximately 28g.

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Protein powders vary widely in their mixability and palatability. I think I just made those two words up. I'm happy with NOW brand Whey Protein Isolate. It has 25g protein for each "scoop" which is approximately 28g.

I was wondering if I could use my slim fast as part of my protein quest. It's got 20g of protein per Shake. I do it twice a day. I do love the chocolate flavor. It could be my diet that works.

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 08:47 PM
I was wondering if I could use my slim fast as part of my protein quest. It's got 20g of protein per Shake. I do it twice a day. I do love the chocolate flavor. It could be my diet that works. If it has 20g per 8 oz shake, that's pretty good. Go with it and see how it works for you.

Rushli
March 3rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
I make fruit protein shakes... can of coconut milk, 1 banana, 1-2 cups of frozen fruit and 1 serving of chocolate protein powder (I think it is 28g... will check when I can and update if needed) I dont have one everyday, but pretty frequently. In a few weeks I will start adding weightlifting to my routine (have to wait so many months after haivng a c-section) and will have these shakes after each workout. (I dont bother with cardio ones.)

ETA: DH gets this (http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393905590&sr=8-1&keywords=protein+powder) kind. His has 22g of protein a serving. If I remember correctly, the mocha cappuccino is amazing! I use a kind I get locally that does not have splenda in it.

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2014, 10:17 PM
If it has 20g per 8 oz shake, that's pretty good. Go with it and see how it works for you.

Okay. I'm eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too. I'm hoping I see results. I have 5 pounds to go until I reach my goal weight.

LauraLongLocks
March 4th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Hmm, it has nothing to do with hair growth, but peanut butter is so high calorie that I try to limit my intake as far as my weight is concerned. I was shocked when I found out a regular PBJ sandwich has about 420 calories in it! However, I've heard that people who eat PB tend to keep a normal weight easier than people who don't... my source was the John Tesh Radio show on that one, so who knows, lol!