PDA

View Full Version : Anti-cones but accidently used cones ... now what?

Arwenlily
January 8th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I was going to put my hair into a braid and decided to put a little argan oil in my hair before I did the braid. Well I put a tiny bit into the palm of my hand, about a 1/4 teaspoon and smoothed it on my hair from my ears down. For some reason after I applied the oil to my hair, I looked at the ingredients on the bottle and it has dimethiconol ....

I just recently started CO-washing, literally 3 days ago and have been avoiding cones. Now that I accidently used some, what do I do? Will it build up? So I have to used a clarifying shampoo or do you think that since I used so little and not on my scalp it will be fine?

Islandgrrl
January 8th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I think it will probably be fine, but if you are really that concerned about it you could clarify and start over.

Arwenlily
January 8th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I plan on clarifying once a month, and I just started CO-washing and really don't want to start over. Maybe I'll just see how my hair feels and if it shows signs of build up, I can clarify?

Cederin
January 8th, 2014, 10:55 PM
I think it's fine, you can clarify anytime you want later if you get buildups! :)

Arwenlily
January 8th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I think it's fine, you can clarify anytime you want later if you get buildups! :)

truepeacenik
January 9th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Search clarifying threads. They have a lot of detail for what buildup feels like on various hair types.
But mine is Velcro ends.

And, look at this honestly, three days of CO is what, one wash? Or do you wash daily?

If daily, dilute the clarifying shampoo.
Really, you need to do one change at a time for a few weeks to get an idea of what it will do for your hair.

Marika
January 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I clarify with clarifying shampoo when my hair feels dirty even after (SLES) shampoo or when I feel like I get more tangles than usual. If you don't notice anything unusual, it's not time to clarify yet! :)

It takes time and many usages before build up occurs so I wouldn't worry!

SoulOfTheSea
January 9th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Definitely just wait a little bit to see how your hair feels and then clarify if you need to. If you don't want to be too harsh on your hair since you just started COing, try using just a normal sulfate shampoo instead of a specifically clarifying shampoo- I find those to be a bit more gentle on my hair if I want to clarify.

Also, I know when my hair has build-up when if I try doing a deep treatment or using my best conditioner, my hair doesn't get any softer- it actually looks worse.

vanillabones
January 9th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all I think your hair will be fine. Who knows, it could be quite beneficial even with the cones.
I hope you can find argan or another type of oil that has no other ingredients. My hair likes argan oil a lot. The next time you CO I don't think you'll experience any damage.

patienceneeded
January 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM
TBH I wouldn't worry. It's no fun to grow long hair if you worry constantly about every little thing! So you used a small amount of coney serum on accident. Build-up happens over time...not instantly.

Continue your CO washing as planned and don't worry.

ErinLeigh
January 9th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Which silicone was it that you used?
For some conditioner is enough to remove.
Also if you plan in clarifying next month, plus you only used it once..I don't think you will have any issue.

I get the same way. When I get my haircut they always cone up my hair like crazy and I start freaking about about if I should remove then. I always end up clarifying.. But I don't think you will need to be as drastic over this one thing :)

Edit. Just saw what you used. Off to google and will be right back. Was there another word with it or was it just that one ingredient?

ErinLeigh
January 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Which silicone was it that you used?
For some conditioner is enough to remove.
Also if you plan in clarifying next month, plus you only used it once..I don't think you will have any issue.

I get the same way. When I get my haircut they always cone up my hair like crazy and I start freaking about about if I should remove then. I always end up clarifying.. But I don't think you will need to be as drastic over this one thing :)

Edit. Just saw what you used. Off to google and will be right back. Was there another word with it or was it just that one ingredient?

Although I don't think it will be a big issue, it is not water soluble ..I would remove it.
Since you JUST started co washing, I would remove the silicone and start over because Otherwise you may not trust your cowash results. It would be a mental thing with me. I would always be wondering if the cone was making something appear different, even if it was just one application.

Llama
January 11th, 2014, 02:43 PM
TBH I wouldn't worry. It's no fun to grow long hair if you worry constantly about every little thing! So you used a small amount of coney serum on accident. Build-up happens over time...not instantly.

Continue your CO washing as planned and don't worry.

I agree ^
I doubt using a little bit of silicone once will cause any noticeable build up or compromise the integrity of your hair.

faellen
January 11th, 2014, 02:55 PM
The thing about so called "argan oils" is that they're really just serums, absolutely chock full of cones with really very little pure argan oil in there at all. Nothing wrong with them exactly - I own one, as well as a bottle of pure argan oil, they both do different things IMO. But the false advertising annoys me somewhat!

Like someone already mentioned, build up happens over time. Hence why it's called "build up". You've only used the cones once, if you don't plan on using any more, they're not gonna build up. I reckon you'll be cool until you next clarify.

Arwenlily
January 11th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I do have a problem with focusing on every little thing :( I just feel like I'm trying so hard to get my hair healthy and healthy looking and I just don't want to mess it up. I just decided to start over because I didn't want the cones I used to mess with my curl definition.

It's unfortunate that all of the argan oil products I have found are filled with cones. I never realized it until I really started to read labels and scrutinize ingredients. But on a positive note, I purchased virgin coconut oil today and I can't wait to try it :)

Arwenlily
January 11th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Although I don't think it will be a big issue, it is not water soluble ..I would remove it.
Since you JUST started co washing, I would remove the silicone and start over because Otherwise you may not trust your cowash results. It would be a mental thing with me. I would always be wondering if the cone was making something appear different, even if it was just one application.

This is exactly what ended up happening. I couldn't stop thinking about whether or not it was going to mess with my CO-washing results so I just started over.

ErinLeigh
January 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM
This is exactly what ended up happening. I couldn't stop thinking about whether or not it was going to mess with my CO-washing results so I just started over.

If you ever want a kick of moisture and some good cleansing with super soft hair, add some honey once in a while to the cowash. Heaven! like a 30/70 mix honey/conditioner. It is great for removing coconut oil in my opinion. Somehow it makes my scalp not feel oily from co washing. I swear by it. If you ever try it let me know what you think.

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at all I think your hair will be fine. Who knows, it could be quite beneficial even with the cones.
I hope you can find argan or another type of oil that has no other ingredients. My hair likes argan oil a lot. The next time you CO I don't think you'll experience any damage.

I agree with this post.