PDA

View Full Version : Layers or all one length for growth

cdonald2
January 8th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I have very fine hair and at the the shortest layer it feels thicker. I thought of chopping it all into a bob so it can grow out one length. Which is better for growth? i go tomorrow and i want to grow 8 inches from chin length length (it will be about mbl by then) so which should i go with?

LauraLongLocks
January 8th, 2014, 09:22 PM
If you were asking whether to get layers cut or not, I would tell you that I hate growing mine out, and not to do it. But since you already have layers, it's up to you how you would like to do it. Some people prefer to chop to the shortest layer and grow from there. Other people (like me) prefer to trim every 3-4 months and eventually make it to all one length. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm planning no trims for 2014 because it's not in bad shape. It's decent enough now that I can focus on gaining length rather than my hemline. So, yeah, it's completely your choice, depending on what you like best. Layers are quite tolerable to me until about BSL, then I wanted my hair all one length so there would be no braid-shredders.

vickinight
January 8th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I think this really depends on one of the two options would give you a more enjoyable "process" for the whole time it will take to get to your goal length... Will you enjoy the maintenance/ styles/ look of the bob if cutting to the shortest layers or would you enjoy those of the layered cut for the next while?

I envy a little bit your conundrum because my shortest layers are approximately 3" long and won't even have the option of cutting to the shortest layers until a few more months -- and even then, it will be VERY short :p!

Happy Growing!

owly
January 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
My mom swears that it is easier/faster to grow hair without layers, but she has had a pixie for 20 years, soooo.... ;)

Naiadryade
January 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM
In my opinion, layers are annoying when trying to grow hair longer, especially if you have damaged or fragile hair. With all one length, a simple trim gets rid of the vast majority of split ends and the like. With heavy layers that looked so cool on short hair, for me that has meant a LOT of extra time S&Ding to keep the ends of my old layers healthy.

But it depends on what your priorities are. When I joined LHC I stopped layering my hair and cut off 3" back to APL to get rid of the thinnest, longest layers--but I hated the thought of going shorter than that since I had been growing it out from very short (earlobe) for some years already at that point and didn't want to lose all my progress. Even though my ends are very thin at waist, I'm still glad I made that decision, because otherwise I'd still be at BSL or higher. Now that I'm at a length that feels long for me, I'm comfortable maintaining here for a while to get the thicker ends, and fewer layers, that I really want. Then when I start heading into Really Long territory, I can do so with something much closer to all-one-length hair, which will be easier to maintain the ends of and easier to braid.

Growing long hair is a long-term process. Ideally, you'll enjoy your hair the whole way through that process. It's all about balancing your priorities.

cdonald2
January 9th, 2014, 02:48 AM
my longest layer is about 3.5 inches longer than my shortest. so they arent super short or choppy. But im right at shoulder right now and i was always told "the difference between your hair looking bad and your hair looking good is a few weeks" ill show some photos i just wonder if i let it grow if that will solve my problems that i have with "thin side hair"

cdonald2
January 9th, 2014, 02:52 AM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1553006_522966134476942_553741275_n.jpg?oh=a91c7ed aa2290955fe9b00d68783b8e7&oe=52D00412
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1061801_522966131143609_1863491283_n.jpg?oh=e42b6c cec0d8e72453bbb8e3a82ae722&oe=52D0191F
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1508419_522966127810276_1314992926_n.jpg?oh=f1290f feeb66a090693677fc3c23f495&oe=52D01970

if you see the bottom layer is the thinnest, i do want it to be all one length but i dread going back to the length i started at...

joflakes
January 9th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I personally hate layers but I have some anyway where I had a cut go wrong. If I cut to one length I'd be just about apl and I'm not willing to lose length! I do think it works a bit better having one or two long layers for my wurly hair though. I dunno. I guess I like it with no layers and a u hemline!

Verdandi
January 9th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I had a similar cut to yours, cdonald2 when I started growing my hair for real. I didn't trim it all one lenght, I just let It grow. And to be honest, I thought the layers looked pretty nice to me when it felt to short to put up in antyhing but ponies or pigtails and eventually the longest layer just merged into the 2nd longest when trimming. My layers have been slowly cathcing up and now most of my hair is at least almost the same length, except for my former very short bangs, which now insted are long enough to frame my face and being quite flattering.
Eventually, the layers will be a bit irritating when you want to do really neat buns or braids, and I can imagine they are more frustrating for people with curly or wavy hair, but with my straight hair, it worked fine and looked pretty all the way to BSL :)

cdonald2
January 9th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Thankyou for the advice :) ill just let it go then i dont want to lose the length anyways. Im glad it will look good growing out too

spidermom
January 9th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I don't think it makes any difference, really. We all have hairs of varying lengths because of the shed and regrow cycle. Nobody has "all one length" hair.

I've noticed that people who grow out layers without trimming eventually get to a point where you can't tell the difference from somebody who started with a blunt cut and does the same.

EvelynMay
January 9th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I've struggled with that decision too! in theory, though, it would seem that all one length would make it easier to grow longer hair faster as you wouldn't need to "maintain" the layers. As in, to keep your hair looking layered you would need a trim to freshen them up at least every several months (like I'm doing right now) or you would lose the look. All one length your style looks the same no matter how long it gets or how long you go without cutting. I'm so tempted sometimes to grow them out for this reason, but I really prefer the look of layers over all one length. For now, at least!

Addy
January 9th, 2014, 06:52 AM
I would just trim up to an inch every 4-6 months so you're still gaining length. It seems like it takes forever to grow those pesky layers out and even longer when you get them from a BAD cut! ugh... I'm growing a pixie out and I've been trimming the bottom so I don't end up with a ton of layers by the time I hit shoulder or even APL. I'd rather maintain and lose length now than to lose a lot in one sitting because didn't trim in the first place. I despise layers in *my* long hair due to the troubles it causes me with braiding and updos. If I were to remain with a shorter, edgier cut, I'd do layers because it looks better on me so... There's my :twocents:

Firefox7275
January 9th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I have very fine hair and at the the shortest layer it feels thicker. I thought of chopping it all into a bob so it can grow out one length. Which is better for growth? i go tomorrow and i want to grow 8 inches from chin length length (it will be about mbl by then) so which should i go with?

Why not cut halfway between where you are now and a bob? If losing that length doesn't upset you next time to for a full blunt/ one length cut.

vanillabones
January 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Once you reach shoulder I personally would recommend getting your hemline trimmed straight and then keep growing and trim only when absolutely necessary. We have a similar hair type and growing out from ear length to shoulder was the biggest pain and the worst looking but it is not worth cutting it when it's that short but that's just my opinion. I think my hair is much more resilient to grow longer by keeping the hemline even until you decide at your goal length what you want to do with it.

Brujinus
January 9th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I think this really depends on one of the two options would give you a more enjoyable "process" for the whole time it will take to get to your goal length... Will you enjoy the maintenance/ styles/ look of the bob if cutting to the shortest layers or would you enjoy those of the layered cut for the next while?

This is wise.

I don't want to get rid of all my layers, but I do want thicker endings so maybe get together the two longest layers. The last one is super thin now. But I do enjoy the length and I find easier to put the hair up with the longest layer (I couldn't manage a pencil bun if I cut it). So as putting my hair up will hopefully help me to keep it strong and safe, and will also help in forgetting about measuring-touching-etc, I guess my last layer is helping me grow the hair and I am keeping it :)

ErinLeigh
January 9th, 2014, 02:29 PM
My haircut is very similar to yours. I have toyed with taking it to one length and starting fresh but I decided to grow and trim the layers as I go.
That being said...you could pull off a short cut so it will come down to if you can handle "the setback" of losing length.
I do think the illusion will be it is growing longer quicker. All one length bobs tend to appear magical in how fast they seem to grow. They also do look thicker. My layers make my hair seem real thin.
Which is more Important to you right now? Length or appearance of thickness?

I can see pluses for both arguments. You could even take it in steps. Meet in the middle perhaps?

Please let us know what you decide. Or maybe I get to page 2 and see answer lol

YamaMaya
January 9th, 2014, 02:58 PM
It's really down to personal choice, I cut a DEEP deep V into my hair 2 years ago and ended up with layery hair that's really annoying to grow out. I'm slowly claiming back my hemline, I cut it back to BSL to get rid of a good chunk of it, and I've been growing ever since, I'm creeping towards hip now, but I don't want to do another chop until I've gained some serious length.

battles
January 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I really like getting long-ish layers in a U hem when I'm around APL and just refreshing them when I get my hair trimmed. It keeps my hair looking really nice and it grows out well.

ExpectoPatronum
January 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I feel it depends on the layers and the person. I've had layers that I hated that made my hair feel really thin. I currently have a couple shorter pieces in the front of my hair that I don't mind since they don't detract from the overall thickness of my hair. I preferred layers when I had shorter hair and was heat styling every day. Now that I'm growing, I prefer my hair to be (mostly) one length.