PDA

View Full Version : Does haircutting bother you?

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I did not know how to title this thread.
Does cutting hair bother you in certain ways? Do you feel relief the older, possibly damaged hair is gone..or do you constantly think about length lost? Do you find yourself thinking things like "my hair would be THIS long if i hadn't cut it?"

Some days I am happy I cut and don't think about it or give it any thought. Other time I find myself staring at older pictures and adding the months of growth I would be at today and getting a bit down about it. Had I not cut I would have been at record lengths for myself and still growing and achieving exciting new hair goals. Instead I am trudging down the same old territory of CBL to no mans land. This length seems to grow the slowest as there aren't many exciting landmarks for at LEAST a year, realistically 1.5 years.

PixxieStix
January 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I generally enjoy having my hair trimmed, because I like going to the salon and having my hair washed and pampered by someone else, and have only had okay or great experiences with stylists. Occasionally I'll wistfully wish I had just that extra inch or two, but I'd rather grow my hair slower with a nice hemline than feel like it was scraggly. *shrugs*

cathair
January 8th, 2014, 06:28 PM
It's panic attack territory for me, so I haven't for about 5 years. I don't like my head feeling lighter after wards, I do notice even a tiny bit gone. I don't feel like I can keep my head up straight enough for someone else to cut it, or still enough; trying to keep still makes me shake. Which is probably a bit weird for all involved.

Cutting my own sounds much more tolerable, but I don't like the idea of losing length. I would always wonder where it could be. I don't like my ends being quite so thin, but I don't think I want them to be blunt or to lose my FTE either. But I am probably not in any danger of that even if I did trim a bit really *she tries to tell herself logically*

QMacrocarpa
January 8th, 2014, 06:48 PM
My first (self-)trim after deciding to go long, I trimmed a bit more than I probably meant to, and I did lose the ability to do a bun I had just (barely!) achieved. That felt like a big set-back at the time, but before long I was able to do the "lost" bun again. Now I'm careful to just trim a teense each time (about twice a year), and I really don't notice the loss of length, just the loss of velcro-ness at the ends!

Seeshami
January 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Right now yes. But I know there will come a day when I change my mind and start cutting off what I grow every month.

The Naughty Mess says, "No you won't. I shall be infinite!"

.......why do you hate the infinity bun so much then?

The Naught Mess says, "Because I am also contradictory."

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Right now yes. But I know there will come a day when I change my mind and start cutting off what I grow every month.

The Naughty Mess says, "No you won't. I shall be infinite!"

.......why do you hate the infinity bun so much then?

The Naught Mess says, "Because I am also contradictory."

HA! I wish my hair would amuse me :)

GoddesJourney
January 8th, 2014, 07:36 PM
That completely depends on why I cut it and how much it was. If I trim simply because I'm removing damage, I don't like the length loss but I'm much happier with my hair anyway and I love the way it feels. By then my length increase would have slowed anyway from breakage, which for me happens somewhere between BSL and WL due to increased rubbing against chairs and such. If I trim more than was needed, I will be a little down. On the other hand, if I simply chop it all off to pixie because I think it would be a good idea…long term regret. I was around WL when I did that and I could be around hip right now, which would be a new length for me. Now I'm at collarbone. Totally blew it. As I was growing out the pixie I had to trim regularly to even it out and avoid the mullet (and keep it within regs while I got close to pony "nub" length). It made me feel like I was making no progress for like six months, but it had to be done.

Seeshami
January 8th, 2014, 07:38 PM
HA! I wish my hair would amuse me :)

Be careful what you wish for. A sassy pants hair monster isn't always the best friend to have.

The Naughty Mess says, "Who said we were friends?"

Islandgrrl
January 8th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Cutting doesn't bother me. It's hair. It grows. I cut when I need to, and I don't fret over every millimeter lost.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2014, 07:57 PM
It's panic attack territory for me, so I haven't for about 5 years. I don't like my head feeling lighter after wards, I do notice even a tiny bit gone. I don't feel like I can keep my head up straight enough for someone else to cut it, or still enough; trying to keep still makes me shake. Which is probably a bit weird for all involved.

Cutting my own sounds much more tolerable, but I don't like the idea of losing length. I would always wonder where it could be. I don't like my ends being quite so thin, but I don't think I want them to be blunt or to lose my FTE either. But I am probably not in any danger of that even if I did trim a bit really *she tries to tell herself logically*

I'm with you. I go white knuckled in the hairdressers chair, though I trust my hair dresser completely. Just a bad phobia from a horrible hair cut as a child. I hate trims but know they're necessary. I always lament over lost length too.... :rip:

Tini'sNewHair
January 8th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I dont normally dwell on hair unless a hairdresser does a HUGE mistake. It has happened to me a few times (maybe 2-3 times until i decided to never step my foot in a salon for a long time). For example i remember having waist length hair and i wanted trimmed about 1 1/2 inch, but the hairdresser chopped SO MUCH that i was in between APL to BSL again and i cried so much that day, I know it must sound crazy but i did!!! I have always treasured my hair even when i used to dye it, I can handle hair screw ups just as long as the decision was mine and no one else’s!
Its been 1 year and 8 months since I stepped my foot in a salon, even when I went in to get one last blunt cut just above shoulders so I can grow my virgin hair again, the hairdresser somehow thought that I needed a bob and she also layered the crap out of my hair at the back when I very well told her that I HATE layers!!!! So a few months after that I went back in to another hairdresser to try get that blunt cut again and finally she did as I asked. HALLELUYA!
My hair is now at MBL, I have been doing a lot of S&D ever since then but I would like to do a small trim once I get to waist and when I do, I think I will just do it myself with the feye method 

ravenreed
January 8th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Now that I cut my own hair I never fret over it. I love having fresh ends and knowing that my hair will look better when I am done.

Kayla Nyx
January 8th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I don't like to cut my hair. I think of the lost length (even if it is a tiny bit) and think, "My hair would be this long if.." and it bothers me. Even though I know I should trim to keep the ends neat. I just hate it.

spidermom
January 8th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I rarely think "my hair would be this long if only I hadn't cut it". As far as I'm concerned, there is no way of knowing how long my hair would be because it might have been breaking off at the ends or in one of it's snail-growth periods or who knows. I don't anticipate growth.

And I generally love a new haircut.

Wallabear
January 8th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I don't like cutting my hair - I haven't stepped into a hairdresser's salon in about 10 years now. Long hair is part of my self-concept. lol...
But I did learn a big lesson from that recently: If you don't trim you'll lose length in the long run cause of the split ends and damage creeping up the hair shaft. If I would have caught it earlier and taken care of the ends regularly, I wouldn't have had to chop off a good 6 inches at home just a couple days ago. *sighs!* You win some and you lose some.

MeowScat
January 8th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Do you feel relief the older, possibly damaged hair is gone..or do you constantly think about length lost? Do you find yourself thinking things like "my hair would be THIS long if i hadn't cut it?".

I feel all three of those things, plus, "maybe I should trim a little more off." I can get a little scissor-happy once I'm finally standing there in front of the bathroom mirror with those scissors in my hand. That's why I only trim once or twice a year.

woodswanderer
January 8th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Ugggh! I hate a new haircut. I just asked my mom (who always cuts my hair) to give me a gentle U shape cut and take off 3 inches. I should have said 2 inches counting on her to be over zealous. She has always previously given me wet or damp cuts and it was fine because my hair was straighter. Lately I have been finger combing my hair as it dries, and oiling more due to dry air and my hair is a lot wavier than it ever was. So she cut it, and then it dried and was crooked. She realized the problem and recut it dry, but my hair is now like 5-6 inches shorter. I walked around for days saying how short it was. It is at hip now, and to me it feels short. My husband tells me I always say it looks too short after a cut, but this was more drastic than usual.

ProverbsGirl
January 8th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I regret the last time I did a big chop. It was in the Spring of 2011 and I was past BSL at that time..which was a new record for me post children. I hadn't found LHC yet and I was still taking care of it the non LHC way. Washing daily, blow drying curling etc. It took forever. I chopped to above shoulder and kept it there until November 2012.
I often think if I had know how to take of it before it could be so long now..but oh well. Lessons learned.
I Did have a small 1/2-3/4 inch in December 2013. I was a little sad because my goal was BSL by Christmas and it bumped me back. :(
however..I have enjoyed my freshly trimmed ends. It made a big difference in the tangles and how it lays. :)
No more trims for me until December 2014.

AspenSong
January 8th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Anymore, it does. I have swung back and forth on the spectrum. I went for several years of my life after I cut from TBL from family pressure and was very unhappy, where I really feel now that along with other things urging me to cut my hair, I developed a Haircut High thing. I craved the fresh ends and new cuts and felt like my hair was "scraggly" otherwise. Obviously I've broken that now! I personally have no desire to cut. I will trim 1/2" or under off and that's it. Anything else gives me sort of a freak out moment. Which is silly because I know I need to do a good 3-4" cut at some point to see if I can thicken my hem a bit. But still. Definitely bothers me now.

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I can understand everyones points of view. Thank you for sharing them. I think it was hard for me just because I never had the thrill of long hair, I finally decided I want it, and now I am thinking about all the cuts. I never thought about long hair before. It always seems so far fetched to me although I have no clue why. I just went on autopilot and trimmed/cut every 8 weeks and never went long. I finally got pretty close to BSL when my stylist suggest dustings. Her goal was to get me to grow long even though at the time I didn't care. I just went with it. Right when I starting appreciating what she was doing my hair got fried. Had I left it alone I would be so much closer to such fun landmarks like MB and waist. Waist would thrill me and now I am at least 28 months from it instead of only 16 months away. I am 42 months from TB! lol

I am guessing I am a year away just from getting back to square 1. I will be almost 42 then. sigh Its a bummer being set back so far, but now that I know how to care for my hair I am thinking I will choose to enjoy the journey. I love all lengths of hair, all have great things about them, so its time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

By the way, you all have really beautiful hair.

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Ugggh! I hate a new haircut. I just asked my mom (who always cuts my hair) to give me a gentle U shape cut and take off 3 inches. I should have said 2 inches counting on her to be over zealous. She has always previously given me wet or damp cuts and it was fine because my hair was straighter. Lately I have been finger combing my hair as it dries, and oiling more due to dry air and my hair is a lot wavier than it ever was. So she cut it, and then it dried and was crooked. She realized the problem and recut it dry, but my hair is now like 5-6 inches shorter. I walked around for days saying how short it was. It is at hip now, and to me it feels short. My husband tells me I always say it looks too short after a cut, but this was more drastic than usual.

oh I am sorry, your hair is really really pretty and I bet it will grow back fast. I can see how 6 inches would be hard when you did not want that. I took off about 6 and it made a drastic difference on me. I used to think 6 inches on long hair would be nothing and would be all "oh no biggy". I now know better.

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I rarely think "my hair would be this long if only I hadn't cut it". As far as I'm concerned, there is no way of knowing how long my hair would be because it might have been breaking off at the ends or in one of it's snail-growth periods or who knows. I don't anticipate growth.

And I generally love a new haircut.

I love a new haircut too. That's why it never got long :) I never had to factor in splits and breaking as mine never got long enough to deal with that. I better add some more more time to my calculations, especially since I color. I only added an inch in them for trims. I didn't think about my hair not cooperating with my "plan." Good point.

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I don't like cutting my hair - I haven't stepped into a hairdresser's salon in about 10 years now. Long hair is part of my self-concept. lol...
But I did learn a big lesson from that recently: If you don't trim you'll lose length in the long run cause of the split ends and damage creeping up the hair shaft. If I would have caught it earlier and taken care of the ends regularly, I wouldn't have had to chop off a good 6 inches at home just a couple days ago. *sighs!* You win some and you lose some.

ya, you and spidermom are on the same wavelength. I really didn't think of that.

woodswanderer
January 8th, 2014, 10:09 PM
oh I am sorry, your hair is really really pretty and I bet it will grow back fast. I can see how 6 inches would be hard when you did not want that. I took off about 6 and it made a drastic difference on me. I used to think 6 inches on long hair would be nothing and would be all "oh no biggy". I now know better.

Thanks for the compliment. It was especially sad to be because I was only maybe 2 inches from classic and I have never been at classic, so I regretted the decision to not attain classic first. Now, the funny part is, I can get a 6 inch cut and hardly anyone notices a difference. Apparently, "long" is all one category to mainstream opinions.

Tia2010
January 8th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I love getting trims :) The feel of fresh cut ends always make me glad I trimmed even if I miss the length a little. I like to keep a thick hem line, so trimming helps.

It did slow down my progress, but I would rather take an extra few months to get to my goal with thick, healthy ends then not trim and have dry, splitting ends (which I would have without the trims)

glittergloss
January 8th, 2014, 10:36 PM
My hair was always long for many yrs and I usually trim the ends every 2 months to keep the length and ends straight. Lately, I cut it to waist length but I'm postpartum shedding lots so I cut my hair even shorter to mid back to shed less as my hair is very thick and heavy. Now I feel that my hair is short. I don't feel any regrets as my hair was also chemically coloured (I don't colour my hair anymore)for many yrs so I don't mind losing some length. My hair grows back fast. For now my hair is just always tied up. No one can tell how long my hair is.

desuvsdeath
January 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Do you find yourself thinking things like "my hair would be THIS long if i hadn't cut it?"

Only EVERY DAY.

askan
January 8th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I'd say its different from time to time.. I've been growing out serious bleach damage for two years and when I cut the last off, that was a relief even though my hair was shorter than what I started out with two years earlier. The hairdresser put loads of some superconey, magic serum on my ends too and it was such a difference from the velcro2000 ends I had before the trim.

After that I decided to cut my own hair in the future. I S&D when I find splits and have selftrimmed once. I trimmed about 1-1,5 cm and I sure missed them, but looking in the mirror I can't see the difference. I know better how to take care of my ends now, but I have a long history of waiting far too long before trimming. I always ended up with the worst kind of steel wool ends that broke off and thinned dramatically so I tell myself I must not go too long without a trim. So it's not particularly fun but it's for the best!

Lyv
January 8th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I've always liked getting my hair cut, not trimmed but really just cut off, every time I do it I feel like I get to start new and my hair always feels so fresh and nice afterwards. I do think about how long my hair would be if I hadn't done it but I don't get upset over it or anything. I'd be at waist now if I hadn't cut to a pixie but I love the way my hair feels with the damage gone and it's going to grow back.

vanillabones
January 8th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Having to cut off any of my hair bothers me quite a bit. My 1/2 inch to 1 inch trims semiannually bothers me enough. I don't mind a natural v hemline but I want mine straight the first time to reach a new milestone.

HintOfMint
January 8th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I'm a fan of the salon, so I actually look forward to my trims. I, like a previous poster, like the pampering experience. There have been one or two trims where I was over-layered and I wasn't thrilled, but all in all, trims are positive experiences for me. I'm headed for a trim this Saturday and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Flor
January 9th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Never occurred to me wonder how long my hair would have been if I haven't cut it. I never even wanted really long hair until about a year ago. And it's never been as long as it is now, so the longer it gets, the more amused I am. And I do have the length I would like to get to, but it's not an emergency ;) I'll get there, when I get there.

I regards of salon cuts though. I don't like ANYTHING about it. I hate my hair washed there (those sinks always pinch my neck funny), I hate explaining what I want, I hate chit-chatting with hairdresser, I never 100% like the result and it always looks a lot worse after I wash it at home (and not blowdry it like they do). So I cut my own hair now and I'm really happy about it! I do like the feel and look of freshly trimming hair.

joflakes
January 9th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I do and I don't. I love the experience, the hair washing and styling, but I hate the fact that almost all hairdressers cut too much off! I self trimmed last time which was much better but I am still worried it is a bit wonky!

Covet
January 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Well whenever I cut mine in the past two years it's been to remove bleach and heat damaged ends. While I'm happy about getting rid of them (hair behaves better, less knots etc) most of the time I wish I didn't because I miss the length. Bittersweet.

lapushka
January 9th, 2014, 05:05 AM
I always found, personally, that you can get really scissor-happy at shorter lengths, when there's more awkward stages around, that goes for CBL as well! You won't be out of the awkward zone until you hit APL. My scissor happiness ended at BSL.

browneyedsusan
January 9th, 2014, 05:23 AM
Nope.
It's never bothered me. I liked it pixied and I like it longer too.
Longer is better now because I have more styling options, don't need to visit the hairdresser for regular haircuts, and can wear it down when I want to.

Rock what you've got! :rockerdud:

EvelynMay
January 9th, 2014, 07:06 AM
see this is why I joined this forum, because other people understand such things! :) I hate getting hair trims... but I know my hair needs them. I go through this process of "ugh, my hair NEEDS a trim. gross." Then i'll wait another month after that initial disgust... then i'll make an appointment... and the day before i'll be looking in the mirror and saying "do I REALLY need a trim?!" and legit feel panicked about whether or not to cut... it's pretty much a standard for me to not like my hair after it's trimmed for like a month until it's grown a little bit and the ends don't look so blunt anymore. I want to "get back" to where it was before it was cut, always. If I could be one of those people who can swear off hair cuts and still have great hair I totally would. So yes, hair cutting bothers me.

Agnes Hannah
January 9th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Yes cutting bothers me. I've also had the overzealous hairdresser, chopping 2" off because I needed it she said. Ha!, now I cut my own. I'm planning on 2 trims 0.5cm per year and when I reach waist, I'm planning to maintain for a while.

Decemberrose
January 9th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I have to cut a little because of bleach damage and I hate losing length right now, its about collarbone a very difficult stage I think. But I have to do it. It feels like I'm going nowhere. When it gets longer and healthier I don't care about cutting the ends.

CitrusEscape
January 9th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I would only consider cutting my hair if it was damaged in some sort of way (possibly mechanical damage because I have a love affair for scrunchies) or my ends are too uneven and I desired to have a blunt hemline. But after cutting my hair I do feel guilty because I miss the length. Sometimes I wish I can grow my hair longer without cutting but I'm afraid it's going to look less than pretty on me!

Gothchiq
January 9th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I like trims because the hair always looks so much nicer afterwards. Hubby and I only take off about a half inch so the hair doesn't really *look* shorter.
As for big chops, we are avoiding them! lol

Madora
January 9th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I'd rather trim hair that looked poorly than keep on growing it. You're defeating the growing process by not cutting damaged hair because it only becomes more damaged w/o cutting or trimming it. Better to do it and get it over with and concentrate on keeping your hair healthy. If you have the patience, you'll see it through.

lapushka
January 9th, 2014, 09:09 AM
If you have the patience, you'll see it through.

This. ^^ Patience and dedication, I might add. It takes both.

truepeacenik
January 9th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Be careful what you wish for. A sassy pants hair monster isn't always the best friend to have.

The Naughty Mess says, "Who said we were friends?"

And why does the naughty mess wear pants? And do you have a picture?

ErinLeigh
January 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I always found, personally, that you can get really scissor-happy at shorter lengths, when there's more awkward stages around, that goes for CBL as well! You won't be out of the awkward zone until you hit APL. My scissor happiness ended at BSL.

Bingo! It is so easy to end up maintaining CBL as you do get scissor happy. The cut ends up not laying right after a few months and you just KNOW a cut will fix it. Then you are right back where you started. CBL to APL is challenging. Plus lots of times CBL comes with layers that need re freshened or they look bad.

hairpleasegrow
January 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM
The cutting does bother me too. Like someone said earlier i usually like my hair the day im supposed to go in. Alot of my friends love going because they get "pampered". I feel anxiety when im in that chair and im too chicken to speak up if i see her doing something i dont like ( example cutting too much)

By products of salon visits i cant stand are the hairdresser /client chit chat, the head massages, the hard sell for expensive products at the end too.

Im gonna be like ravens red and get my own scissors . Like janet jackson i want control

MissPetite2010
January 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Yes, cutting does bother me, but it's very rare that I actually get a good haircut. Or at least someone who knows what they're doing. Had my hair cut with layers back in August. Went to my mom's hairdresser, and she did a fantastic job. Hate it when you tell a hairdresser something, and they end up doing the total opposite, or cutting off way more than what you told them too. My hair is naturally curly/wavy. I don't get that many split ends that are noticeable anyway. So, I've actually been thinking about getting my hair trimmed twice a yr. Does that sound like too much? lol Or if not at all. I just hate my haircut experiences. I'd rather not go at all, but I know that the ends sometimes have to be cleaned up somewhat. The only difference this time around is I have bangs again, which I like. Had bangs before, but really couldn't call them bangs anymore. Since I had them grow out as well. But, again as for cutting, it does bother me to a degree. So, I usually try and hold off on trims as long as possible. The good news is, they do say that I have thick, healthy hair, so that's a plus :)

lapushka
January 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Bingo! It is so easy to end up maintaining CBL as you do get scissor happy. The cut ends up not laying right after a few months and you just KNOW a cut will fix it. Then you are right back where you started. CBL to APL is challenging. Plus lots of times CBL comes with layers that need re freshened or they look bad.

My top tip for the sticky-out bits? Don't be afraid to style it (yes, heat style). Just gently on warm with a blow dryer should do. Styling until you hit APL is really not that bad. Had to be done with my hair as well, I remember, or it looked positively awful!

woolyleprechaun
January 9th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I'm terribly attached to every millimetre of my hair, and even a dusting makes me a bit sad inside :( I've currently got around 4 inches of slightly rubbish ends, due to ancient highlights; I keep promising myself I'll cut them off, but the right milestone never comes. I said at BSL 'When I reach waist, I'll cut back to here', but I got greedy. I'm nearly at hip and the ends are still ragged (but a couple of inches less, thanks to trims) and I'm telling myself I'll maintain at hip for a few months, when I get there. It's never going to happen. I'm hopelessly addicted to length.

Verdandi
January 9th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I sometimes get a bit let down after a trim and count how many weeks of growth I just chopped off. But I really enjoy the fresh ends and the healthy look. A bit of a love-hate-relationship.

I had a great hairdresser when I had a bob, but she moved away. I tried going to another, but she was really rude, called my har "straight and boring" (It's not my fault that I was born with straigt hair, is it?) , "dull looking" and so on, complaining about the lack of volume for the whole appointment once. I was so shocked and sad and never went back. For a long while getting a haircut felt horrible, so i decided to stop.

I trim it myself nowadays and it works alright. No "I just want a small trim" ending up with inches taken off anymore, and no one complaining about the straigthness of my hair (but me, occasionally ;) ).

ErinLeigh
January 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM

ErinLeigh
January 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I love the feel of a fresh haircut. I know this is why I have never gotten too long. To me a new cut is refreshing. It is a new start so to speak.
It will be interesting to see if I can get back to micro trimming and stop being scissor happy :)

vanillabones
January 9th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I think I only trimmed once from collarbone to APL. It still took forever. Patience is the key for this growth stage... I can honestly say it was my least favorite. I kept it up all of the time to not have to look at it. It is easy to not get obsessive over it by practicing benign neglect for one year.

YamaMaya
January 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I sometimes have those "oh crap" moments when I realized I trimmed a BIT more than I intended to, but that's when I just put it up and stop thinking about it for awhile and soon it's back to where it was again :).

ExpectoPatronum
January 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM
This is an interesting question.

For me, it goes both ways.

When I cut, I'm glad the damaged pieces are gone but I'm also really sad for the lost length. I've spent four years trying to grow my hair to waist, but I inevitably always end up cutting it off around BSL. Each time I cut, I get more and more frustrated afterwards that I did it because I totally could have been at waist and beyond by now had I kept the scissors out of my hair.

I've jusssssst reached BSL again. I've invoked a "one trim only" rule for 2014. I'd like to go the whole year without trimming, but realistically, I'll probably need one after the summer since I practically live in the pool.

chen bao jun
January 9th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Yes, cutting bothers me so I just S & D most of the time. Occasionally I microtrim but I do it MYSELF (I just snip the ends off sections, I don't need to be that careful since I'm a curly and the curls hide any unevenness.
Eventually I will get rid of my not so great ends. I figure. But anyway, I'm scared to cut. It doesn't seem like you should cut when you want to grow.

Amygirl8
January 9th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I hate it if anyone else touches my hair (simply because I've dealt with too many horrendous "trims" in the past). Now that I cut my own hair, I feel a little better. Since I joined, I've steadily been getting rid of damage, so I guess I got used to having slightly shorter hair each time I trim. I get sad that length has been lost, but if I do a good job I get very happy.
Last week I cut in layers and my hair has behaved so much better. I lost a lot of hair to do it but I love how it looks.

ejking2
January 9th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I'm quite emotionally attached to my hair.

When I cut my own hair, it doesn't bother me. I don't like to lose length, but I feel relieved to have nice ends.

If someone else cuts my hair, it is a different story. When they cut off more than I wanted, I have felt seriously violated.

tigereye
January 10th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Cutting bothers me too. At the hairdresser, the bother comes from a combination of things. I'm allergic to SLS/SLES, and I have so far found shampoos without it do an awful job at removing cones from my hair, so I don't use cones. That means that for almost everything in the salon, I can't use, despite the continual asking. This usually results in me looking at the backs of lots of bottles so I can justify refusal while I just want to relax. Second, I have a long neck, which I usually like, but it gets really painful to have my head back in the sink for all that time. There's no support on it, so if I actually lay my head down fully, the sink moves and jabs into my head. Thirdly, the cutting too much off - thankfully I found a hairdresser a couple of years ago who actually cuts what she is told.
When I cut myself, though I'm not so good. I tend to make the u-hem wonky. I was good at layers when I had them, since I could just do the ponytail method, but to get a blunt u-hem is more difficult for me to manage.

For now, I don't plan to trim much this year. I'm trying to reach TBL and with my current slowed growth and increased shedding, that could take a while. S&D and micro trims only, methinks.

Bagginslover
January 10th, 2014, 05:20 AM
The only cut I think 'I'd be here if...' about is the 6" chop I did 2 months before I joined here. It was a self trim, with the kitchen scissors (!), and without it, I'd be BCL+ by now.

Since then, the biggest cut I've done was 3 inches (supposed to be 1, but I messed up), But I don't regret and of those trims, as the quality of my hair was improved so much by the trims. I got rid of most of my layers with the 3" trim, then cut them back in a few weeks later as I missed them! I think I'll always have layers now.

I did cut in long bangs before xmas (same sort of length as Jennifer Lawrence has in the Hunger Games movies), and boy do I regret that! They were totally spur of the moment (I know, I know....), I enjoyed them for a week at the most, now I'm constantly looking for new ways to keep them out of my face!

Sunny_side_up
January 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM
My mums always done trims for me and she does what I ask her to do. I have been to a hairdressers 3 times in my life and each one was a different place where I just decided i'd like something done and let them snip away. Its been 7 years since I have gone to a hairdresser. Not because ive had bad experience,i must say each time ive been happy.
Its just that Its not something I feel the need to do often.

I have self trimmed and felt the results were lop sided, so when I feel like it, I get my dear mum to trim my hair. Its pretty even now apart from my side bangs growing out. Last time I had thinning scissors used on it at mums I felt that I got a few splits, blunt scissors i'm guessing. Never had that again. But got me thinking recently if I went to a hairdresser about their scissors sharpness and how with my hair my layers I had in the past seemed frayed and frazzled after a short period of time.

Bene
January 10th, 2014, 01:52 PM
No. When I cut my hair, it's because I made a choice. If I thought it would bother me, I wouldn't do it.

ashke50
January 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Before I joined LHC I hated having my hair cut, and resented the lost length. Now that I take better care of my hair (and it is longer!) I don't mind them. I know that trimming the ends is necessary, and the inch or two that is cut off (usually I get my husband to do the trims and then tidy it up myself) will grow back in a few months.

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 05:09 AM
When someone other than me cuts my hair... I feel seriously violated even if it is 1 inch. So I never let it to happen. :P

On the other hand, I feel very comfortable cutting my own hair. I was taking off different lengths, really, according to the need and my current wishes - from 0.5 inches to 12 inches and it always felt great.

It's just that I don't like pretty much anyone to touch my hair. It must be some control issue, I don't know, or just valuing my personal space.

Selkie-
May 26th, 2014, 05:16 AM
I usually dread it beforehand but funny enough am mostly relieved and happy when it is cut because I know it means healthier hair in the long-term. :D

Earelia
May 26th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I do worry a bit about losing length that I worked for but after I cut my hair I feel glad that it's much softer and less tangly on the ends.

Wildcat Diva
May 26th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Only trimmed one inch once since deciding to grow it long two years ago. I had temporary regret over difficulty bunning with blunt ends, but that sorted out after a month or two of regrowth. I'll trim again late this year or early next, one inch when I'm good and past waist and headed for hip. Ill have a barber that I know do it (dry cut). Worst fear is the detangling as I'm a tangly wavy. I will detangle best I can first and might oil first lol.

I wont need to cut sooner for damage, as I'm not doing anything really damaging except sun exposure and combing and occasional SLS shampoo. I feel I am good with working my master plan for long hair at maximum thickness possible. I'm sticking to my system and only trying little things to improve my hair quality, like taking MSM or increasing protein intake. Boring stuff that I won't likely regret.

Cutting doesnt bother me because I'm in pretty much control of where my hair is going, barring some disaster like chemo needed or massive shed.

LunaHuntress
May 26th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Kinda-sorta. I have major trust issues about anyone else cutting my hair and haven't been inside a salon in over 8 years. But I have cut my own hair many times, grown it out, then cut it again. The last "big chop" I did was about 3 years ago when I went from near waist to a layered shoulder length style. That one shocked a lot of people! I occasionally think about how I'd be at or near classic length if I hadn't cut it, but I try to remind myself how damaged the hair I cut off was. So I might have had the length, but it would have been a mess. Now that I know how to properly care for my hair I've decided on only doing two self trims a year, taking off about 1/2 inch each time. Last trim was back in early April and the ends felt so nice afterward I was happy I'd done it, but except fro trimming my bangs I'm not touching the scissors again until Sept/Oct.

RainbowBowser
May 26th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Unless I'm ready for the chop and I'm just willing to bite the bullet, I hate cutting my hair. Last year I had no problem losing 4 inches because it was fried from daily heat abuse.
Now that I'm taking care of my hair I'm hesitant to get anything done at a hairdresser.

Sharysa
May 26th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks to having very tough hair to begin with, taking good care of it, and learning how to trim my split ends and trim my own hair, I'm rarely bothered with hair-cuts anymore. I enjoy trimming my split ends, and if I do something wrong while trimming my hemline, I just ask my sister to fix it.

I did get bothered when my first U-hem with Feye's self-trimming turned crooked a couple weeks after I cut it. Then I realized that I'd used a center-part when I trimmed, but in everyday life I have a side-part. So yeah, I solved the problem pretty fast--don't use a center-part when reshaping my u-hem.

My hair is pretty low-maintenance as a whole, so I don't think I ever needed to worry about damaged ends and the need for trimming. When I read that people were freaking out about their hair-ties or braid tassels getting damaged, I was REALLY confused at first.

LightSabr
May 26th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Initially I enjoy the fresh ends. Luckily my stylist only cuts 1/4th of an inch at a time. This was also the woman who took years of layered black dye out of my hair and brought me to a light brown. I think I'll be keeping her.

In the past though, I've had hair cut off much faster than I could grow it. Incredibly frustrating. If I could go back I'd probably have grown out the damage and then maintained. I actually think the healthy hair would be farther along than my current length by now.

woodswanderer
May 26th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I got my biannual trim today, and I was feeling somewhat nervous when I usually don't really. It seemed like my mom was taking too long cutting it, so I started wondering if something was going badly. It was fine...2 inches off as requested. I'm sure I will be happy about fresh ends, but it does feel a little shorter, which is a bummer.

LauraLongLocks
May 26th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Since switching to "dustings only" I haven't had really fresh feeling ends. I sort of miss that feeling, but it would take losing 1.5 to 2 inches in order to get that feeling again, and I'm not willing to part with that much right now. I would rather have more frequent microtrims than to chop that much all at once.

I've been on the no-trim challenge for 2014, and so far, my ends feel pretty good, so I've been fine to leave them be. But I don't like an uneven hemline or fairytale ends, so I know that I will not end up being a forever non-trimmer. I go back and forth in my mind about whether to try a self-trim or to go back to the stylist I've had good luck with when I'm ready for my next trim.

I am nervous about the next time I trim, because I want as much possible growth as I can have. It's an intellectual dilemma, really, because I also know that if I don't trim at all, my fine ends will crumble and split until whatever gains I made in length are lost to mechanical damage. Going no-trims for 2014 is a real challenge for me because I am accustomed to trimming 3-4x a year. It didn't bother me to miss my first quarter trim, but seeing a lot of others cutting and trimming around here lately has got me examining my ends with a lot of scrutiny. If for no other reason, I will not be trimming because I don't give up on challenges that I accept. But I am really looking forward to trimming 1 inch off in January 2015!

So, does trimming bother me? Yes and no.

LightSabr
May 27th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Since switching to "dustings only" I haven't had really fresh feeling ends. I sort of miss that feeling, but it would take losing 1.5 to 2 inches in order to get that feeling again, and I'm not willing to part with that much right now. I would rather have more frequent microtrims than to chop that much all at once.

I've been on the no-trim challenge for 2014, and so far, my ends feel pretty good, so I've been fine to leave them be. But I don't like an uneven hemline or fairytale ends, so I know that I will not end up being a forever non-trimmer. I go back and forth in my mind about whether to try a self-trim or to go back to the stylist I've had good luck with when I'm ready for my next trim.

I am nervous about the next time I trim, because I want as much possible growth as I can have. It's an intellectual dilemma, really, because I also know that if I don't trim at all, my fine ends will crumble and split until whatever gains I made in length are lost to mechanical damage. Going no-trims for 2014 is a real challenge for me because I am accustomed to trimming 3-4x a year. It didn't bother me to miss my first quarter trim, but seeing a lot of others cutting and trimming around here lately has got me examining my ends with a lot of scrutiny. If for no other reason, I will not be trimming because I don't give up on challenges that I accept. But I am really looking forward to trimming 1 inch off in January 2015!

So, does trimming bother me? Yes and no.

This exactly. But they do feel at least a tiny bit fresher. Maybe it's just a bit of psychological relief, but hey, whatever works. I like that it's a happy enough medium. Slightly healthier ends with much less lost.

quiltlady
May 27th, 2014, 07:38 AM
It doesn't bother me to go to the hair salon for a trim. I have had the same hair dresser for over 20 years and most of this time I had short hair. When I had short hair, I went every month. During the time I have been growing my hair, I have been going regularly, but lengthening the time between visits. Thanks to LHC, I am now going to go when I feel the need for a trim, rather than keeping to a set frequency of trims.

kganihanova
May 27th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I don't like the salon but I like trims. I like cutting off damage. When I went in for the chop, I was really happy to do it because I'd thought about it so much. Now I do my own self trims and its working out great! I'm growing real well and I have no splits :)

Kherome
May 27th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Cutting doesn't bother me. It's hair. It grows. I cut when I need to, and I don't fret over every millimeter lost.

Yep this is my philosophy too.

kqq
May 27th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I don't like to go to trim, because I always think that she will cut to much.