PDA

View Full Version : More coconut oil questions

sweetlidlred
March 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I was at the grocery store last night and was looking at the coconut oil. In the regular oil section they has some 100% coconut cooking oil ina big tub for around $3.00. Next I checked out the natural and organic section they carried cold pressed, all-natural, organic, coconut oil for around $12.00. Is their a difference in how the cheaper oil will affect my hair versus the more expensive? Also, does coconut oil have a shelf life?

sibylla
March 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I use whatever coco nut oil I can get my hands on (the least expensive, cause I use lots of it).
I´ve had oil that lasted a year at least.

I know others here are more selective when it comes to buying oils. I hope they´ll tell you what is best.

icydove
March 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Typically, the virgin coconut oil is more beneficial than the processed kind. I don't know how big the virgin coconut oil tub was, but that price sounds a little high to me :suspect: I can get a regular-sized container of virgin coconut oil for around $6-$7 that expires way before I can use it all.

Elfling
March 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM
For your hair, I doubt it'll make a difference.

If you're eating/cooking with it, get the extra-virgin unprocessed stuff.

akurah
March 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Coconut oil can last forever if you don't get any contaminents in it. (well, maybe not forever, but you'll use it up before it goes bad if you don't get gunk in it like water, which is a breeding ground for bad stuff)

Unless you're eating it, you're probably better off going with the cheaper stuff, assuming cheaper stuff is also meant for eatings and doesn't have funky additives like petroleum.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 12:47 AM
My virgin coconut solid tub has lasted almost a year. Its not even half way yet.....
So i'd say buy the good stuff. Or both and use the "bad" stuff for heavy oilings and just use it all over your body ( it is a great skin softener, moituriser, and fragrance!) and the good stuff for daily one nail scraping of leave in oil?

Strongnlong
March 20th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I use whatever coconut oil I can get my hands on. I also use it to cook so my choice is usually brands like Grace, Goya or Ramella...I never pay more than $1.99 and a jar lasts for about 2 weeks. Not bad for hair AND body oiling (No lotion in this house!) & cooking.

quidscribis
March 20th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Virgin coconut oil has a shelf life of at least three years even in tropical weather. Providing that, as mentioned above, no contaminants, including water, gets in.

Susancnw
March 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Goya makes coconut oil? I've only seen the milk.

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
There was one thread that explained why one was better then the other. I think post said to buy the unrefined, cold pressed (extra, I think) virgin oil.

I saw both and bought both. Once said cold pressed extra virgin unrefined, the other just said coconut oil. They are not the same, once openned.

I do not know if it makes a difference on the hair for oiling. The one that just specified coconut oil, does not smell or taste like coconut. It is harder as well.

I know I will not be buying the one that did not say cold pressed extra virgin unrefined on it again.