PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed to improve hair texture

hikarilu
January 7th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I've always had problems with the texture of my hair. It's always been ridiculously fine, very greasy and kinda "stringy". The picture that shows it the best is my avatar, sorry it's so small :rolleyes: It looks weird and I've been wondering for ages why my hair wouldn't at least look like everyone else's...
Stopping using cones made it worse so I still use some most of my shampoos. And i wash/condition every morning. I stopped coloring it and heat for 6 months now.
I'm looking for any advice that could help me make it look better... I've tried cassia treatments and only the first one made my hair look more "normal" (more volume) but overall it looked more dull. I've been doing cassia every months since then (something like 8 months ago)and it doesn't do a thing... I actually had to shampoo twice after my last cassia because my hair was reaaaaally weird a couple hours after rinsing it...
I'm thinking about trying oils but i'm scared it will make my hair look more stringy...
Sorry for the cr*ppy english and thanks :-)

breezefaerie
January 7th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Your English is fine :)

Looks like you have fine, thin hair like me. Our hair types just look greasier and dirtier faster than other hair types but there are things you can do!

You may want to try conditioner-only washing which works well for some fine haired folks. For me my hair looks cleaner longer when I CO wash.
There are lots of washing method that may work for you - you will have to find what works best for you. It's best to only try one thing at a time though to see how your hair reacts.

hikarilu
January 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Looks like you have fine, thin hair like me. Our hair types just look greasier and dirtier faster than other hair types but there are things you can do!

You may want to try conditioner-only washing which works well for some fine haired folks. For me my hair looks cleaner longer when I CO wash.
There are lots of washing method that may work for you - you will have to find what works best for you. It's best to only try one thing at a time though to see how your hair reacts.

Thanks ! I always thought that CO wash would be less effective than shampoo... But I'd like to try it now that you said that :-)
What type of conditioner should I use ? I've heard some people using conditioner with cones and sulfates and other people say it's better without them...

vickinight
January 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I curiously saw someone put a POWDER in their hair when in a changing room once (I believe she wanted more volume from the way she was styling her hair)...
I never asked what it was.

Maybe something to look into? Like a hair powder to help volume if that's what you're going for? There are also likely natural alternatives...

I also remember attempting to use oil blotting sheets (that are usually used for makeup) on my hair in high school. I don't know if I was just being a silly teenager or not but I think it helped.

(Note: I cannot actually see any pictures if you have posted some -- perhaps because I'm a newbie on this forum so hopefully this post is not entirely useless!)

Happy New Year!

Madora
January 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Perhaps you could clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo (followed by a deep conditioning treatment).

Then, limit your shampooing and conditioning to just twice a week. You might also try diluting your shampoo and conditioner. The more stuff you put on your hair, the more overloaded it can become...resulting in limp, greasy hair. Good luck!

teela1978
January 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Careful with the conditioner. On my hair I really can't put it above the nape of my neck. I shampoo every other day or so (with sulfates), and condition just the length. If I get conditioner on the hair that touches my scalp then I'm stringy.

If you want to try oils, I'd start by using them as pre-wash conditioners. I do this often with coconut oil. I use quite a bit (several finger scoops) melted between my hands and smoothed onto my length. Then shampoo it all out. I can't really use oil after it's been washed or it goes stringy.

swearnsue
January 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM
The only thing that makes my hair look thick is to braid it wet and sleep on it overnight then take it out in the morning when it's dry. The braid waves makes my hair look really thick and I can stretch washing it a day or two that way.

I use the Torrin Paige method of braid waving, I think it's on YouTube. I don't do my hair like that every time I wash, just once in a while as a treat.

I agree with a previous poster that it's better to only put conditioner on the length and not on the scalp.

ErinLeigh
January 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM

I have fine hair that can get stringy. I took a break from cones too and at first didn't like my "natural hair."
what helped me change my hair was adding honey cowashes every 3rd wash. The honey gave me nice moisture and also somehow kept my hair from getting greasy from using conditioner alone. I get good results from honey cowashes actually.
I then started adding coconut oil before the cowashes. I did that because the conditioner and honey removed the oils better then shampoo. After that I started adding a little bit of lighter oils as a frizz serum. Once Grapeseed or hemp usually. Just a tiny bit.
I then started doing avocado or olive oil on top of a leave on conditioner on days I was staying home for some good deep treatments.

It it has been 60 days and my hair has never looked fuller,softer or healthier. I was surprised how oils and honey mixed with right conditioners would make hair change so much.

At at first I was heavy handed with oil so I could only oil as pre wash. Eventually I figured out what worked for me and can now use oil instead of cones.
Dont be too afraid to try. Unless you have allergy worst that can happen is hair looks greasy until next wash.
All I know is I have had more compliments in last 2 months than I have had in whole life and only thing that changes was adding honey and oils.
Have some fun and see what you think :). Fine hair is strange. It can look greasy if not washed often. Too much products shows really badly. It is definitely temperamental :)for me comes in my shampoo were the worst. Conditioner I can do but on my shampoo hair was lank and dull.

I would suggest trying to do a cone free shampoo and trying a cone conditioner if you are weary of starting with oils just yet.

Lirona
January 8th, 2014, 12:57 AM
ErinLeigh, what ratio of honey to conditioner worked for you? I have fine, type 1 hair as well. You said you do a honey cowash every third wash... do you wash with shampoo for the other ones, or are those also cowashes (just without honey)?

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 01:59 AM
ErinLeigh, what ratio of honey to conditioner worked for you? I have fine, type 1 hair as well. You said you do a honey cowash every third wash... do you wash with shampoo for the other ones, or are those also cowashes (just without honey)?

Shampoo when not doing honey cowashes. I vary between sls and gentle shampoos
For honey cowash.. About 30/70 mix.

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I curiously saw someone put a POWDER in their hair when in a changing room once (I believe she wanted more volume from the way she was styling her hair)...
I never asked what it was.

Maybe something to look into? Like a hair powder to help volume if that's what you're going for? There are also likely natural alternatives...

I also remember attempting to use oil blotting sheets (that are usually used for makeup) on my hair in high school. I don't know if I was just being a silly teenager or not but I think it helped.

(Note: I cannot actually see any pictures if you have posted some -- perhaps because I'm a newbie on this forum so hopefully this post is not entirely useless!)

Happy New Year!

I think the powder you're talking about is dry shampoo ? I use a lot of it and it's great when you want to stretch your washes for half a day but it's not advised to use it a lot... Never heard about blotting sheets though, i'll take a look! thanks!
I don't know about the picture, maybe i did something wrong :( Happy New Year to you too !! :)

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Perhaps you could clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo (followed by a deep conditioning treatment).

Then, limit your shampooing and conditioning to just twice a week. You might also try diluting your shampoo and conditioner. The more stuff you put on your hair, the more overloaded it can become...resulting in limp, greasy hair. Good luck!

Yeah i've been trying to get information about those clarifying shampoos... I can't find any in the stores I usually go to in France, so i'm beginning to wonder if it exists here...
What do you mean by diluting ? Because i always mix the shampoo with water when it is in my hands (juste before putting it on my hair) but do you think i should put water directly in the bottle ?
Thanks ! :-)

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Careful with the conditioner. On my hair I really can't put it above the nape of my neck. I shampoo every other day or so (with sulfates), and condition just the length. If I get conditioner on the hair that touches my scalp then I'm stringy.

If you want to try oils, I'd start by using them as pre-wash conditioners. I do this often with coconut oil. I use quite a bit (several finger scoops) melted between my hands and smoothed onto my length. Then shampoo it all out. I can't really use oil after it's been washed or it goes stringy.
Yes I have noticed that too for the conditioner ! I also only put it on the lenghts, and never use anything except shampoo onthe roots. Do you use oils just before washing your hair or let them sit in the night before ? Which oils are you using?

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
The only thing that makes my hair look thick is to braid it wet and sleep on it overnight then take it out in the morning when it's dry. The braid waves makes my hair look really thick and I can stretch washing it a day or two that way.

I use the Torrin Paige method of braid waving, I think it's on YouTube. I don't do my hair like that every time I wash, just once in a while as a treat.

I agree with a previous poster that it's better to only put conditioner on the length and not on the scalp.

I'd like to try that, too ! Love the braid waves !
The only issue i have with sleeping with a braid it that my lengths are beautiful the next morning but my roots are horrible...Greasy and just...weird :-(

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I have fine hair that can get stringy. I took a break from cones too and at first didn't like my "natural hair."
what helped me change my hair was adding honey cowashes every 3rd wash. The honey gave me nice moisture and also somehow kept my hair from getting greasy from using conditioner alone. I get good results from honey cowashes actually.
I then started adding coconut oil before the cowashes. I did that because the conditioner and honey removed the oils better then shampoo. After that I started adding a little bit of lighter oils as a frizz serum. Once Grapeseed or hemp usually. Just a tiny bit.
I then started doing avocado or olive oil on top of a leave on conditioner on days I was staying home for some good deep treatments.

It it has been 60 days and my hair has never looked fuller,softer or healthier. I was surprised how oils and honey mixed with right conditioners would make hair change so much.

At at first I was heavy handed with oil so I could only oil as pre wash. Eventually I figured out what worked for me and can now use oil instead of cones.
Dont be too afraid to try. Unless you have allergy worst that can happen is hair looks greasy until next wash.
All I know is I have had more compliments in last 2 months than I have had in whole life and only thing that changes was adding honey and oils.
Have some fun and see what you think :). Fine hair is strange. It can look greasy if not washed often. Too much products shows really badly. It is definitely temperamental :)for me comes in my shampoo were the worst. Conditioner I can do but on my shampoo hair was lank and dull.

I would suggest trying to do a cone free shampoo and trying a cone conditioner if you are weary of starting with oils just yet.

Wow thanks for all the advices ! :-)
I recently bought a cone-free shamoo, but maybe i was wrong to use the conditioner of the same brand (cone-free too). Maybe I should try to use it with my cone conditioner !
Does honey lighten your hair ? I've been trying to lighten my hair with the honey recipe i've found here but i haven't had any results...

cathair
January 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I think the powder you're talking about is dry shampoo ? I use a lot of it and it's great when you want to stretch your washes for half a day but it's not advised to use it a lot... Never heard about blotting sheets though, i'll take a look! thanks!
I don't know about the picture, maybe i did something wrong :( Happy New Year to you too !! :)

It might be volumizing powder. I had some plumping powder (http://www.boots.com/en/Batiste-XXL-Plumping-Powder-5g_1338376/) made by Batiste. It really did what it said on the tin, a little bit added to the roots made me hair into something that looked like a lions mane bordering on an afro. I wish I had taken a picture, it looked pretty cool, but I couldn't stand the feel of it. It made it so grabby and stuck together I am pretty sure if I had run my fingers through my hair it would have shredding and split, so I went and washed it straight out. It was almost like glue.

I really couldn't fault it's volumizing properties though, it did much more than I expected.

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 04:20 PM
It might be volumizing powder. I had some plumping powder (http://www.boots.com/en/Batiste-XXL-Plumping-Powder-5g_1338376/) made by Batiste. It really did what it said on the tin, a little bit added to the roots made me hair into something that looked like a lions mane bordering on an afro. I wish I had taken a picture, it looked pretty cool, but I couldn't stand the feel of it. It made it so grabby and stuck together I am pretty sure if I had run my fingers through my hair it would have shredding and split, so I went and washed it straight out. It was almost like glue.

I really couldn't fault it's volumizing properties though, it did much more than I expected.

I've got the Batiste XXL Dry shampoo but never heard of that plumping power, kinda wish you had taken a picture too hehe :-)
I understand you, the XXL dry shampoo scares me a little bit too since i cant run my fingers through my hair either when i use it... But it's still a good product when i don't have any other solutions :-)

hikarilu
January 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
double reply. oops.

WoolSweater
January 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Do you have cocoa powder? This is great for dusting a little in your roots for some drying action in between washes. Also, unlike the dry shampoo, cocoa powder doesn't leave a white residue or a dull sheen.

hikarilu
January 12th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Do you have cocoa powder? This is great for dusting a little in your roots for some drying action in between washes. Also, unlike the dry shampoo, cocoa powder doesn't leave a white residue or a dull sheen.

Yes I do, actually I've already tried it and had bad results... The cocoa powder's smell changed when it touched my hair and that day everyone told me "you smell weird"... I don't know what happened but I didn't try it again. It's also a bit too dark for me since i have dark blonde hair :-)

Firefox7275
January 12th, 2014, 01:47 PM
When I use Batiste dry shampoo I simply wipe away the excess with a soft microfibre towel. No problem with dullness or residue: I have pink-red hair and use the regular (white) dry shampoo.

vanillabones
January 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I've used dry shampoo since high school and the best brand I came across was Klorane (the spray version) the only problem is it gets used up much faster in the spray version. I have the powder version now and it is okay but doesn't smell as nice or work quite as well. I also have the spray version of the Suave dry shampoo (yellow tipped spray bottle) it sort of smells like lemons and I've used it up fast as well. I put a ton of it in this morning and it didn't help my greases at all. Dry shampoo is a great alternative to washing your hair but I'm worried of the damage it may cause from rubbing it in and rubbing it when washing it out. I'm going to start scalp washing instead which I'm learning here on LHC. My scalp loves to be washed and very clean otherwise the the sebum can literally take over my head and cause breakouts on my scalp but this hasn't happened to me for awhile now and I am able to stretch washes 2-4 days by putting it up and not touching my hair at all.

hikarilu
January 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM
I've used dry shampoo since high school and the best brand I came across was Klorane (the spray version) the only problem is it gets used up much faster in the spray version. I have the powder version now and it is okay but doesn't smell as nice or work quite as well. I also have the spray version of the Suave dry shampoo (yellow tipped spray bottle) it sort of smells like lemons and I've used it up fast as well. I put a ton of it in this morning and it didn't help my greases at all. Dry shampoo is a great alternative to washing your hair but I'm worried of the damage it may cause from rubbing it in and rubbing it when washing it out. I'm going to start scalp washing instead which I'm learning here on LHC. My scalp loves to be washed and very clean otherwise the the sebum can literally take over my head and cause breakouts on my scalp but this hasn't happened to me for awhile now and I am able to stretch washes 2-4 days by putting it up and not touching my hair at all.

Klorane dry shampoo isn't cheap, but i think i'll try it anyways hehe...
I just had a breakout on the front of my scalp and you made me realise that maybe it was sebum-related, but it happened when i shampooed everyday during three days...
I'm having good results this week by using Lush dry shampoo THE EVENING BEFORE the day i don't wash, by putting some on my scalp before going to bed :-)

ErinLeigh
January 22nd, 2014, 12:25 AM
Did you ever decide on cowash vs shampoo?
I am always curious about cowashing with fine hair. I have been trying it with V05 clarifying conditioner and have had better results that the V05 coconut silk one I was using. I now only have to do the honey once a week now since the clarifying conditioner seems to get the oil well. I think I was using too heavy a conditioner before. I still use a follow up conditioner after the co wash though. For me I cannot co wash every wash. I did build up to almost every other wash though. I still need one SLS shampoo a week (I am a daily washer) and 3 sulfate free washes. The rest can co wash but if I did it every day i lank hair. I wish I could find better success with more washes as it is really gentle on my hair, but I will take what i can get.