PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting immune to beautiful long hair

LauraLongLocks
January 7th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Since joining LHC I have seen so much beautiful hair online that I am not nearly as astonished when I see super-lengths around town. Today I saw a woman with a braid that went to her knees. I noticed it. It was long, but I wasn't wowed by it. I was more ho-hum, I've seen longer, shinier hair online.

When I see hair at my length, it's nothing spectacular. I'm not impressed with any of it that I see, although I do notice when it's my length, it's usually all splits.

What's happened to me?

woodswanderer
January 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I laughed my butt off last night when I read a line in a book about a character having beautiful long hair, well past her shoulders, that people would kill for. Past shoulder probably wouldn't get my notice unless it was an anime color.

woodswanderer
January 7th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I do still notice anything past waist or hip though.

faellen
January 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Hair of any length still gets my notice if it's particularly beautiful or in good condition. Hair doesn't have to be super long to wow me.

Madora
January 7th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I don't think anything has happened to you, LauraLongLocks. You've just become accustomed to seeing lovely long hair here and when you see it in real life it doesn't have the "wow" cachet it once had for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I only really become interested when I see ultra long hair thigh or knee length...but that has only happened 4 times in 50 years of looking!

stachelbeere
January 7th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I definitely see your point LLL :)

My hair is past APL now. Before APL I used to think that APL and BSL hair is so long! And now I think that it's not long at all - it doesn't 'feel' or look long anymore :/
When I see someone with a similar hair length to mine I immediately guess if they have longer or shorter hair than I.

weird how TLHC changed my view on length...

Tini'sNewHair
January 7th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Before LHC i used to be admire length a lot but now I admire the condition of ones hair. Not long ago i saw this girls hair about APL, she had AMAZING black natural looking hair that was so silky and perfect!!! :) And last week i saw this woman with TBL fairytale hair, it seemed to be very dry.

schnibbles
January 7th, 2014, 06:10 PM
The other day at Tractor's Supply, I saw a lady who had a finger-tip length braid. (at least, it could have even been at knee) It was *awesome*. I wanted to compliment her but I didn't want to be weird. I know I should have anyway. Healthy long hair makes my neck snap around no matter where I am. :p

Hatsune Miku
January 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I've gotta say, the same thing has been happening to me! Then again, I don't usually see anything past tailbone in real life.

ejking2
January 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Seeing it in a 2-dimensional picture is different to me than seeing it in person. I'm still just as wowed by super-healthy, super-long, or otherwise striking hair than I was before finding LHC--perhaps even more so as I pay more attention to it.

I guess it's another way some people's views of hair become distorted by this forum, like the change in perception of "long" hair that many people on LHC have. I still think hair starts getting long around APL to BSL.

chen bao jun
January 7th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I differentiate between what I see online online and what I see in real life. Although of course what I see online is 'real' (at least, in this forum), I always remember that it is a gathering together from all over the place. Well, that sentence is nonsense--what I mean is, if fifty people people in the whole United States have beautiful long hair, and they can all be seen constantly in this forum, that does not make beautiful long hair common. I mean, its 50 out of how many millions or hundreds of millions? So nice looking long hair is still unusual and rare and not devalued in my opinion--if that makes sense?
I do think one has to be careful about the internet. I said 'fifty' just as a random number but honestly five people with a common interest can be online in five different countries and form a group and feel like their interest is not unusual. But although its great that they don't feel alone and are encouraging each other (so long as their interest is a positive one) it still doesn't make their interest a majority pursuit. and seeing a lot of anything online doesn't mean its actually common. Which superlong beautiful hair just really is not, so I remain amazed and stunned when I see it. (I've seen perhaps three people with hair classic and beyond in real life in the whole year since I joined this forum and I was very excited each time, because it was REAL--not pixels.)

&rea
January 7th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Haha I think this is an LHC side effect. I find myself noticing a person's the way it is and what I think it might look like if they cared for it the way LHCers do.

DweamGoiL
January 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I still appreciate well cared for hair rather than just length. To me, it's more rare to find someone that really cares well for their hair IRL rather than just being long. Then again, I live in an area with a large population of Asians (Norther and Southern). Personally, I am not particularly impressed with really long scraggly or over-processed hair. Sometimes I wish it was OK to carry a tub of deep treatment and just apply it to all the neglected thirsty strands you come across; sort of like the conditioner fairy ;)

Yozhik
January 7th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I haven't become inured to beautiful hair IRL, but I will say I do get really peeved by inaccurate descriptions of hair in books - like there's this one YA novel where the main character has super-long hair that she wraps twice around her head as her everyday style. I doubt she could do that with less than knee length hair, but she does at at "past waist." Also, I literally cringed when I read the first Diana Gabaldon book and the main character vigorously brushes her hair until it crackles. :shocked:

chen bao jun
January 7th, 2014, 08:22 PM
We had a discussion about this before and some said their hair did crackle when they brushed it? But that it was not in good condition when it did. At least, this is what I remember was said. I myself have no experience with crackling hair.

I haven't become inured to beautiful hair IRL, but I will say I do get really peeved by inaccurate descriptions of hair in books - like there's this one YA novel where the main character has super-long hair that she wraps twice around her head as her everyday style. I doubt she could do that with less than knee length hair, but she does at at "past waist." Also, I literally cringed when I read the first Diana Gabaldon book and the main character vigorously brushes her hair until it crackles. :shocked:

Lunnafindel
January 7th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I've had the opposite reaction. Since joining LHC, I see people with waist or tailbone length hair and think "wow, they must be putting a lot of effort into that, just like my friends on LHC, and it's so beautiful! you go girl!" whereas before I just dismissed it as short. Now I'm part of a club that includes people of all hair lengths, and I appreciate other people's hair journeys a lot more :)

Kherome
January 7th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I laughed my butt off last night when I read a line in a book about a character having beautiful long hair, well past her shoulders, that people would kill for. Past shoulder probably wouldn't get my notice unless it was an anime color.

This gets me too. I was reading an Amish fiction book recently and they kept talking about winding her super long hair up under her prayer kapp...then later in the book they said she let down her hair, which came to her waist. I was like um...not long.

chen bao jun
January 7th, 2014, 10:00 PM
To most people nowadays actually to get to waist is a really big deal. I can see why an author would consider waist to be super long. I don't see it much in IRL and before being on LHC, I never saw longer.
If I ever get to waist, it will be with a lot of effort, as Lunafindel kindly acknowledges and ONLY because of LHC. If...

walterSCAN
January 7th, 2014, 10:14 PM
We had a discussion about this before and some said their hair did crackle when they brushed it? But that it was not in good condition when it did. At least, this is what I remember was said. I myself have no experience with crackling hair.

Mines only ever done it from static... Not in years though.

truepeacenik
January 7th, 2014, 10:26 PM

I'm from the high desert. Crackling meant the heat was on!

Andeee
January 8th, 2014, 12:53 AM
I am always noticing, always looking. I will be more impressed with waist length hair that is thick and shiny than I will with longer hair that is not well-cared for.

But I no longer think my hair at hip is long. It was once between tailbone and classic (why did I cut it??) and even that would be only just long enough to do wow-ing updos which is what I want to do!

Tota
January 8th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Before joining the LHC any kind of long hair made me look and be impressed. I just really liked long hair. It could be healthy or not, extensions or not, processed, dyed, damaged, stringy, in so many layers that only a few hair were long ... Now my standards are significantly higher :)

restless
January 8th, 2014, 01:51 AM
I see where youre coming from and LHC sure has changed my view on long hair too. Before I came on here, my goal was just "long hair" which meant something along the lines of waist to hip. Here I am some time later with hair that reaches to almost BCL but my hair still feels short and I want to go further than this! :D

However in all the places where I have ever lived, hair this lenght and longer has been an unusual sight and Im still impressed when I see people with waist lenght hair in real life. I can only ever remember seeing three people in real life with REALLY long hair which was classic and I was (and still am) in total awe. I think its a completely different matter seeing people on here (where I expect to see long hair) and in real life, where most people have BSL or shorter.

But, for all that I notice the long hair, the short hair also got my attention. Since I found this forum I am more aware of the condition on peoples hair and even if its short, I can still admire it for its shine/curls/pretty hair style or whatever. I guess I just like hair in general when its well cared for, no matter if its long or short :)

Agnes Hannah
January 8th, 2014, 06:29 AM
MMmm I saw a young girl the other day with dark waist length hair, it was thick and glossy and I drooled! Then I saw a woman with MBL length hair, it was fairytailing and fine, and it was still worth a look. I can't help looking at anyone with longish hair, I've always done it. LHC has made me realise how important it is to protect and enjoy what I have and the effort others do for theirs too. I think the waist length thing comes from the film industry, because it is easier to look after and style waist length hair than longer, which is why we see images of waist lengths rather than longer, and this has tranferred to other areas of the media.

Ms. Littlefish
January 8th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I can appreciate hair at any length if it's well cared for. Some people have remarkable colors or texture as well.

lapushka
January 8th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Hair of any length still gets my notice if it's particularly beautiful or in good condition. Hair doesn't have to be super long to wow me.

This! ^^ If it's gorgeous hair, any length would still wow me IRL!

Chiquita Banana
January 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM
The length it takes before I consider hair "long" has certainly changed. I do still notice hair at waist or longer and really appreciate it if it's healthy. Most of the time when I see someone with long hair, it is healthy. Very rarely does it look yucky... and then I cringe and quickly look away!

Chromis
January 8th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I've had the opposite reaction. Since joining LHC, I see people with waist or tailbone length hair and think "wow, they must be putting a lot of effort into that, just like my friends on LHC, and it's so beautiful! you go girl!" whereas before I just dismissed it as short. Now I'm part of a club that includes people of all hair lengths, and I appreciate other people's hair journeys a lot more :)

I notice and appreciate it more now as well. Then again, I originally joined mostly because I wanted to shed less! The forum did inspire me a great deal and my goals might have...shifted a bit :lol: I do indeed shed less now though!

SOmething to keep in mind is that it is quite difficult to achieve the same glossy looks in real life while moving around and dealing with weather and stuff and coats and whatnot than it is to look nice for a still picture. Plus most of us choose nicer shots for signature pics and avatars and such. Even so, it often takes more than one try before I get one I like! Many of us take our length shots against a more flattering colour too. I make sure to take mine while wearing dark clothing since light clothing makes my hair look woefully thin and also make sure it is combed out, etc. (I don't take them very often, especially since my length hardly changes now, but I'd rather not cringe at my own pictures!)

EdG
January 8th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Whenever I see a reference (in advertising or media) to mainstream long hair, I think "they don't know what long means". :lol:

I do have a new appreciation of updos as a result of joining LHC. I was previously updo-unaware.
Ed

Wisé
January 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I second the notion that beautiful hair (and interesting texture or color), no matter which length, gets my attention. Now more than ever. But it takes a lot more to make me consider hair "long". If hair is long (in non-LHC terms) but not beautiful it gets more of a "I wonder how she could improve it?" reaction.
I also have a hard time considering my hair as long, it still seems pretty puny to me (looking between waist and hip when curly).

I also had one of those wtf?-hair moments while reading a book: Her hair was naturally fiery red, going down to the floor and so curly, that each hair could be rolled out to 5 times it's length (= 9 to 10 meters of hair O.o).
Oh, and on top of that, she was native American (I'm no expert, but that sounds like extremely unlikely hair texture and color for a native American to me).

LadyCelestina
January 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM
LHC is making me so paranoid of random people observing my well defined line of fuzzy short hairs and broomstick ends :twisted: :lol:

Anything beyond BSL usually captures my attention,IRL,but the wow factor starts at classic.

shutterpillar
January 8th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I'm with those that say they admire the condition rather than the length of hair now. It could be a pixie cut, but if it's shiny and looks well cared for, I'll admire it.

Angelica
January 8th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Long hair still impresses me, regardless of its length. I'm just impressed when people haven't resorted to the common boring styles that are so common in my town. I am one who will never gain incredible lengths that I have seen on this forum, if it isn't in your genes for very long hair, there's nothing you can do about it, just look after what you have and be thankful for it I guess. I've seen some lovely hair in person and wonder if they are doing anything special to keep it that way, or whether they are just simply blessed. So I guess I shall always be impressed with long hair, because shorter hair seems so samey to me, and anything better than mine is great.

Brujinus
January 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM
LHC has made me more conscious about the bad shape more of the hairs I see are in! I just want to wear a t-shirt with "STOP HEAT & DYING" written on it and then sit in front of hair salons, maybe chained to the door or something :D :D

AmyBeth
January 8th, 2014, 11:11 AM
I almost never see hair longer than mine IRL. I notice hair, though, and I very much appreciate healthy shiny hair more now than I used to, and I notice the difference between healthy hair and not-so- healthy hair. I see dried, over processed hair and think "How beautiful it would be, if you could learn to take really good care of it!". To my sensibilities, hair can be beautiful at any length, if it's not so processed. But most people consider it fun to play with their hair in that way, and far be it from me to deprive them. Although I get a feeling, just a vibe, I guess, that some women would like to have nice hair, but they really think that chasing some product or blowdrying method is the way to go, and they think they just haven't gotten it "right" yet. That's what I used to think- if I just found the right shampoo or learned to style my hair the right way, I'd get what I wanted. Now I know that the less I fuss with it, the healthier and longer it will be.

truepeacenik
January 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I have always seen other longhairs and sadly, ogled.

My ex and I would point out particularly long hair out to each other.

Immune? I can't say that, but I notice, say, waist, less in the past year or so. Unless it is curly.
The local length max seems to be just above natural waist but the impression of extension/weaves is pretty high. :hmm: maybe extensions are the limitation of length.

leslissocool
January 8th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I may be in the minority, but I get exited over well cared hip/tbl hair. I see it mostly on young girls, and I am still impressed by it.

I think my hair looks better IRL, the LHCer I've met always told me it looks a lot more intense in the sunlight than my poorly lit bathroom :lol:. But I'm often shocked at sleek hair (not straightened), my hair is NOT sleek although it's sleeker now more than ever. I've seen some kids at my kid's high school with hair so sleek and shiny I wondered what they were eating :lol:.

molljo
January 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I would say this forum has taught me that hair CAN be both healthy and long. There were a number of girls and women in my small hometown with hair that ranged from waist to classic, but theirs were all dried out/damaged/uncared for, which misled me into believing that the longer hair got, the worse it got, which is why I've tended to have short hair for most of my life. I don't see hair longer than bsl in real life now unless it's extensions, so now it's become my holy grail to spot a longhair in beautiful condition "in the wild" :)