PDA

View Full Version : Warm head coverings and Big Buns - What to do?

Pages : [1] 2

LaurelSpring
September 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I started my LHC journey in March when it was beginning to get warm. It was not too difficult to loose the hair dryer or let my hair air dry. Now that it is starting to get cool again I am feeling concerned about how I am going to keep my head warm this winter. Last winter I wore a knit cap all of the time but now I will be wearing updos and this will mess it all up.

I have one hooded scarf so I guess that will work and maybe a lighter scarf to wear around my neck inside.

I can deal with shampooing at night and sleeping in a mircfiber turban maybe?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Haith
September 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I looked all over for a hooded scarf last year to no avail so I knit my own. I do exactly as you were pndering: hooded scarf with another scarf around my neck if its windy. This works for me when I'm just travelling from one place to another.

If I'm going to be spending an extended period outside and I really need to keep warm, I'll do a braid of some type and wear a wooly toque.

Islandgrrl
September 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I don't think I've ever seen (or heard of) a hooded scarf. Would one of you kind ladies explain (picture maybe?).

I have this dilemma too - what to do for keeping my head warm. I used a knit cap last year as well, and it doesn't fit well anymore due to the size of my bun.

harpgal
September 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I live where it is very cold. I have learned to tie a large silk scarf over my head and also pull a parka hood over that. I can wear just about any updo by doing this. However I admit, winter is a pain. :(

camara
September 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I made my own knit cap. My buns fit under it, and also it has floppy ear bits, to keep my ears warm. Not exactly fashionable, but warm. If I need something pretty, I´m wearing matching scarves, one around my neck and the other around my head. I have to agree with harpgal, though-winter is not the easiest time of the year, hair-wise. :shrug:

florenonite
September 9th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I started a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1662) on this sort of thing last winter.

HTH!

LaurelSpring
September 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Islandgrrl, Here is a link for some on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hooded+scarf&x=12&y=17

Anje
September 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Calorimetries (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html) and head/ear bands work well in moderately cold weather. My bun is still small enough that a large stretchy knit hat fits over the whole thing. It's a little messy, but it works. (I wear more braids in the winter, which helps.)

Nightshade
September 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
icydove made me a beautiful knit headband last year :) I wear it rather than a hat or a hood to and from work and it doesn't mess with my updos at all. I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but it's lovely and soft and warm.

Hypnotica
September 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
There is also a cap with a bun-hole on Ravelry that I will knit to myself this winter.

LaurelSpring
September 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the thread link. I love the calorimetry pattern! A new project!

1nuitblanche
September 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
There are things called ear bags, which are like earmuffs, but just go over your ears without a band or anything attached--my mom loves these. I just use a hood and scarves to keep the wind, snow, ice, rain, etc. out--the hood is usually loose enough that it doesn't mess up my hair going on or coming off--the scarves just hold it in place after.
As for when to wash, I go for nighttime because then my hair can dry while I'm warm under lots of covers, and it won't freeze when I step out the door which I bet would be mighty damaging.

Nightshade
September 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
icydove made me a beautiful knit headband last year :) I wear it rather than a hat or a hood to and from work and it doesn't mess with my updos at all. I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but it's lovely and soft and warm.

Here it is! She said she used suede yarn (:ponder: I know nothing about yarn, so hey, I may be wrong). It's soft and wonderful as I can't stand wool or anything scratchy.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1726&pictureid=20662

Inset is the detailed shot of the button.

Katze
September 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Washing nights works best for me too; I get warm before I go to bed, and my hair is dry when I wake up. I have to be really careful with being cold when my head is wet, because I get earaches really easily. Honestly, a blowdryer on low, focused on the ears and scalp, is not a terrible sin!

As for hats, I wear my hair down most of the time, so I like to pile it on my head then pull a knit hat over that. When I get to where I am going and take my hat off, my hair has nice waves. The more often I do this, especially because I sweat while biking, the better waves I get. Since I do bike, hoods fall off but a knit hat stays on well.

If I do wear my hair up, I prefer braided, pinned 'dos in the winter. Two braids also work well under a hat, up or down. If it's really cold, I will wrap a scarf over them and have that under my coat.

Islandgrrl
September 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Calorimetries (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html) and head/ear bands work well in moderately cold weather. My bun is still small enough that a large stretchy knit hat fits over the whole thing. It's a little messy, but it works. (I wear more braids in the winter, which helps.)

Oh, I love this. I think I want a dozen of them! Now I just have to learn to knit. :magic:

Islandgrrl
September 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Islandgrrl, Here is a link for some on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hooded+scarf&x=12&y=17

Thank you so much for the link! These are beautiful.

maaria
October 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM
What do you usually wear in winter?? I noticed that my hair is flat like a panncake after wearing a cap :(, but what can I do?? I dont want to freeze my head off when it is winter and cold!!
Do you have some advice for me!? I dont really like scarfs on my head, I think I look like an old lady.
And then my hair feels more thin after wearing a cap.:doh: Is it possible that it "grind" or "worn-out" (hope it is the right word) gaahh, I think you know what I mean!!

Hiriel
October 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Unless it's too cold (-10C is too cold, I think), I like earwarmers (headband-type, not earmuff-type), because they let me put my hair up in buns. If it gets too cold I'll just wear a cap+braids. My hair lies quite flat against my head anyway.

Lohari
October 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I second earwarmers, unless it's very freezing outside. I survived last winter with using my hat only few times (I live in finland, so our winters are not so different), because earwarmers are quite warm :'D

Calista
October 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I wear a woollen hat - I just squeeze it over my bun; or a scarf. I don´t care if I look like an old lady! ;) You could also wear a calorimetry (kind of an extra-wide headband, try searching the forums for it), or you could wear one of those knitted tubes that are supposed to go over your head and neck, I think they look cute.

ETA: This (http://www.knottymouse.com/images/calorimetry1.jpg) is a calorimetry.

Loviatar
October 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I have a Hannah hat (a hat with a hole in the back, you can find patterns on Ravelry.com I think) and I'm planning on buying a calorimetry and a snood-style tam. Lots of hair room :D

Angela_Rose
October 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Grandma made me a calorimetry for Yule a couple of years ago and I practically live in the thing in winter. They're the best, in my eyes. I may ask her for another one, and possibly one for a friend.

...I should have her teach me how to make it. :P

maaria
October 14th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the good advice, now I know how and what to do :p
Thank you Calista for the picture :D

Copasetic
October 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I always wear a touque when it is cold. When it is -20 outside, I really don't care what my hair looks like, I just want to stay warm!

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've got a big, roomy tam-style angora hat that I crocheted myself; very warm; doesn't squash hair.

Jessikinz
October 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I prefer earwarmers (the headband type) instead of hats. We already have snow, I might wear hats this year. Depends how cold it gets.

Iylivarae
October 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I have a warm, knitted hat with a hole for my bun (there was a thread about knitting these hats, I think about a year ago...). :)

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I like to rock the old lady look. :) I can wrap a nice cozy scarf any which way works with my hair style of the day. :)

Fencai
October 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Im all about the Hannah hat myself! I have two! :)
I think I'll be making a calorimetry band this year

ETA: here's the thread about the Hannah Hat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12402&highlight=hannah)

dolcevita
October 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I like 180s (a reverse earmuff that sits at the back of your head). They allow my buns/ponytails to stay stylish and in place so I do not have to fix my hair when I get to my destination. They stay in place remarkably well - better than traditional earmuffs for me - and they don't squash or mess up the top of my hair (which is important because I have bangs that I'm growing out that are always bobby-pinned back or something.

picture courtesy of google images:
https://mommalama.com/oscommerce/images/180s-11815.jpg

They were about $20 Canadian and a gift from my boyfriend last Christmas... I don't go anywhere in the cold without them!

If it's REALLY COLD (and I live in Canada so it like always is if it isn't summer :P) I wear a toque and then put the 180s on top for extra warmth. Then I don't care what my hair looks like, as long as I am warm!!

EDIT: The ones in that picture look like they stick out farther than others... They are actually very thin and I can wear my hair down with it on without a bulge in the back!
http://www.earmuffshop.com/180s/180s-arcticeco-black.jpg
mine look like this!

Shiva
October 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I usually don't wear hats unless it's bitter, bitter cold and when it's bitter, bitter cold I wear my shearling hat.

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Another vote for a calorimetry/an ear-warming headband-type thing, or earmuffs. I also have this large cowl thing, which is basically a large knitted loop, and you can wear it as a scarf or pulled up on the head to keep the ears warm too, but that might be a bit old lady-ish if you're not a fan of scarfs.

maaria
October 15th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Ok, thanks for more advise´s, maybe I´ll test some earmuffs this winter, a calorimetry I think could be nice too, maybe I could do one my self??Those earmuffs behind your head was nice :)
But if I´m getting it right so you dont need to cover your hair in wintertime, only treat it with care, oilings and other treatment so it´s not get so dry?? And the hats and earmuffs protect your ears and scalp from cold!? Ofcourse we need protection for our hair but not until it´s very cold outside..
But I read somewhere about the bloodcirkulation on the top of your head that it is important to keep your hair healthy. But if you massage your scalp every day 5-10 minutes, shouldn´t that get the blood to cirkulate??
Hmmm..have I got this right now??:confused:

wendyg
October 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
All my coats have hoods. Hoods keep your head warm while not squashing anything. Hoods are always attached, so they can't get lost. Hoods are always available when it starts to rain or snow. Hoods can be quickly removed if you're having trouble hearing what someone is saying. Hoods are even a place to stash a long braid...

wg

maaria
October 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Ahaa, that´s why my jackets and sweater´s have hoods :pThe hood is always available :D

Abbzie
October 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think you should stick to wearing hoodies or get a cute looking beanie. I do agree that wrapping your head in a scarf could make it look flat later on especially if your out most of the time when its cold.

Honestwitness
October 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Spidermom - I'm very interested in your self-made hat. Would you be able to post a pic? I'm thinking of making something like this for myself. I haven't crocheted in over 40 years, but I'm thinking I should be able to figure out how to do it, if I can find a pattern.

Kris Dove
October 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Last winter my hair was just APL so I wore it loose or in a low pony with a beanie hat, and ponies would have to be redone whenever I took the hat off... now I've reached BSL and wear it braided or up more often I think I'll invest in a set of earmuffs. I wore those when I was younger and had very long hair.

*Aoife*
November 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I just end up wearing a beanie. I don't like hats, but if its cold enough to need a hat, I've gone past caring what I look like :(

celelu
November 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hey, what about this one (http://www.christiancoverings.com/catalog.html?item=37)? It's made to accomodate any bun or braid. And I love vintage look, so it's going to be my hat for this year's harsh montrealer winter!

mira-chan
November 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I wear scarves in the winter. I layer as it gets colder too. So a thin scarf right over the hair and tied around the bun. Then a thicker one wrapped around the head and neck and then the hood over that.

ravenreed
November 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I am considering getting the pattern for this covering and adapting it to wear outside during the winter. I would line it with satin so it would be less likely to mess up a 'do, and something warm but pretty for the outside.

http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=46&catid=8&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D8

Pierre
November 16th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I wear a Polar Buff, with my hair at least partly loose in it to keep the front of my neck warm. I'm going to put the rat at the back of my neck.

A few days ago I wore a sweater and kept its hood in place by hooking the knit on the mini Flexis.

Komao
November 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hi, love to knit and crochet. Now that my hair is between ws and hip length, I'm looking for the perfect hat.
It's getting tougher to get all my hair in my old stand-by patterns.
It can be extremely windy and fierce where I live. I want to protect my hair and keep warm.
Wondered if anyone has a pattern to share? Thanks in advance. :knit:

LornaDoone
November 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I use a calorimetry. That way I can keep my ears warm and still have my hair in a updo--even a bun with hairsticks! There are quite a few free patterns on Ravelry.

Komao
November 5th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I use a calorimetry. That way I can keep my ears warm and still have my hair in a updo--even a bun with hairsticks! There are quite a few free patterns on Ravelry.

I'll check it out and thanks. :o

WilfredAllen
November 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
maybe a hat that's designed to be worn over dreadlocks?

Anje
November 5th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I knit this one (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hannah-4) a couple years ago.

Ultimately, though, I find I want something that can stop wind, especially when the windchills get anywhere below 10F, and I haven't had much luck with any knit hat for that. It's a shame all the fleecy ones I find in stores are too small for my head even with my hair loose.... I may have to get one custom-made or start trying to make my own.

Komao
November 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM
maybe a hat that's designed to be worn over dreadlocks?

It might be more of a cap I'm looking to see if I can make. I saw a guy on YouTube,
http://youtu.be/pNabll5CI48

It's called a Needle cap with brim Jamaican style, like a Tam
Look for them @ African, Jamaican type places and headshops.

If I can't make it, maybe I'll purchase one. :)

Komao
November 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I knit this one (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hannah-4) a couple years ago.

Ultimately, though, I find I want something that can stop wind, especially when the windchills get anywhere below 10F, and I haven't had much luck with any knit hat for that. It's a shame all the fleecy ones I find in stores are too small for my head even with my hair loose.... I may have to get one custom-made or start trying to make my own.

I'm going to keep looking. I have double knitted some warm hats but looking for real warm that fits well and can protect hair by being totally contained. If I run across one, I'll be sure to post it. I like the one you knit :)but I need hair protected as wind and my hair, don't get along. I would have lots of tangles.

Chromis
November 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
On the second page of this thread I show my favourite hats and give the names. All can be found on Ravelry though I did not link to them directly. Here's the thread link to save me a bit of typing :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109587

I have another favourite now too, but I didn't knit it myself. Perhaps if the great and lovely Alvrodul pops in she will share it, but it is slouchy enough even for a hairstick to fit fine! (Although that makes a hood challenging, so I still switch if it is super, super cold or windy) I think the trick is to knit several so you have a variety of weights and shapes for all occasions. :agree:

Komao
November 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much Chromis. You've given me a lot of great ideas. I will check out all the hats in detail and I'm positive now that I'll be able to find one or more that will be ideal. ;)

Seeshami
November 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I like ear muffs. I made my assistant manager some, he's pretty funny looking at him wearing them.

Chromis
November 5th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Thank you so much Chromis. You've given me a lot of great ideas. I will check out all the hats in detail and I'm positive now that I'll be able to find one or more that will be ideal. ;)

Yay! Happy to help. One more thing in case I didn't mention it in the other thread. Wool! Wool, wool, glorious wool! So much more warm. I don't wear any silk scarves or such under my hats like I hear some people doing, I doubt they would stay and don't feel the need. I'd have hat hair either way. Nothing a quick little slick down can't fix :)

Alpaca is even warmer than wool, but it doesn't have very good memory and will stretch. Blends might work though or using it as the contrast colour in stranded knitting but I have not tried this to see. I stick to using it in scarves and cowls where I find the gradual extra length a bonus. I've heard some folks like to knit in warmer parts around the ears too out of things like alpaca, yak, quiviut, or angora. One of my Calorimetries has some angora in it and that one is much warmer!

I don't think I'd done this one when I made that post, so just in case here's another pattern idea with pictures of how it looks with my hair up and down: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Pundigrion/opus-spicatum This is now my Deep Winter hat for when Guinan isn't thick enough. It fits even better under the hood of my parka in addition to being warmer from the double thickness. I find if it is windy, hats alone are not good for staying warm. I need the hood to block that cold, cold air since it goes right through the fabric otherwise. With a hood and a hat my hair is protected and my noggin is warm and cozy.

Komao
November 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I like ear muffs. I made my assistant manager some, he's pretty funny looking at him wearing them.

Me too, but I never thought of making them. That's what they mean by two heads are better than one. Thanks:o

Komao
November 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Chromis,

This pattern looks perfect. Thanks and will check out your other work. I have an album in my profile with a few knitted items that I've done. Thanks for taking the time and offering me so much great information. :knit:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5553&d=1375023212

Scarlet_Heart
November 6th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I know you are looking to crochet something, but for long hair I find that a nice wool babushka or pashmina is nice. It can be draped loosely over a bun, keeps ears warm, and looks cute. It can also be used as a scarf.

Komao
November 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I know you are looking to crochet something, but for long hair I find that a nice wool babushka or pashmina is nice. It can be draped loosely over a bun, keeps ears warm, and looks cute. It can also be used as a scarf.

I don't care if it's knit or crochet and those are really nice ideas. Thanks. :)

Fortresca
November 6th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I knit two hats that were nice for longhairs by now:
Worm (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wurm)
http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/Fortresca/146335821/wurm2_medium2.jpg

and

Disque (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/disque)
http://images4-b.ravelrycache.com/uploads/Fortresca/121389518/hut1-3_medium.jpg

ladyfey
November 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I got some tam hats on etsy that work well for me. I am rather liking velvet snoods now though for warmth, I pull them over my ears and stay toasty warm.

Komao
November 7th, 2013, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=Fortresca;2558634]I knit two hats that were nice for longhairs by now:

Both vey nice knitted hats. Thanks for pattern links:)

Komao
November 7th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I got some tam hats on etsy that work well for me. I am rather liking velvet snoods now though for warmth, I pull them over my ears and stay toasty warm.

Thanks, getting lots of great ideas!:)

Hiriel
November 9th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Calorimetries! You can knit or crochet it, and if you need it to be more windproof it would be quite easy to line it with with fabric.
Here's one I crocheted a couple of winters ago (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Hiriel/quick-winter-headband).

Komao
November 10th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks Hiriel, very nice!:o

embee
November 11th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Here are two headbands I made, calorimetries.

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mbbweb/longhair/Headbands01.jpg

The pink shows the back, the blue shows the front. I made the pattern up as I went along. It's all double crochet in rounds, except for that smaller part in the back which is single crochet (American stitch names), with a shell border on the bottom edge.

I've a bunch of these now, in many different colors. They're good indoors and out - they keep the drafts and chill off quite well. Always there is an additional windproof hood on very cold windy days. Sad that I cannot wear wool - itch itch itch. :(

wandlimb
November 11th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I wear a big beret that fits over my bun or a crocheted lace hat if I have hair sticks so they poke out of the holes.

Komao
November 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Real nice embee and love the colors:)

Komao
November 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Another good idea. Thanks wandlimb. :)

Kaelee
December 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I use a big scarf (think Pashmina) that I can wear as a scarf, shawl, or over my head. I love it, best $18 I've spent recently! I imagine you can knit one pretty easily, it's a big rectangle of fabric.

Komao
December 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks Kaelee. :o

Loviatar
January 12th, 2014, 07:50 AM
My favourite hat is called the Hannah hat. I think it's on Ravelry (pattern by Blake Erlich?) but mine was made by LHC member Hypnotica. It's a lovely warm knit hat with a hole in the back, almost like the hole in a baseball cap, which your bun and hair stick fit through. It fastens with a button underneath the bun. I love it :)

Komao
January 12th, 2014, 03:39 PM
My favourite hat is called the Hannah hat. I think it's on Ravelry (pattern by Blake Erlich?) but mine was made by LHC member Hypnotica. It's a lovely warm knit hat with a hole in the back, almost like the hole in a baseball cap, which your bun and hair stick fit through. It fastens with a button underneath the bun. I love it :)

Thanks, I'll have to check this pattern out. :)

Paranda Belle
January 12th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I crochet myself a divine hat that is popular on etsy. Mine is slouchy and the sticks can fit through the holes if they need to but the headband is fitted so it stays on! However, it is a bit lightweight in windy/really cold weather.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/divine-hat-2

Komao
January 13th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I crochet myself a divine hat that is popular on etsy. Mine is slouchy and the sticks can fit through the holes if they need to but the headband is fitted so it stays on! However, it is a bit lightweight in windy/really cold weather.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/divine-hat-2

Thanks for link. Looks divine for milder weather days. :)

StellaKatherine
June 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I am sorry if there is allready a thread on this one. But I couldn't find with the search tool. Anyway, while it is summer time it's easy to have my hair up in a bun. But winter time is harder with needing to wear caps, hats and such. Last winter I was basicly wearing my hair in a single braid, but my hair is becoming longer and I need to keep it away at work. Right now I am wearing buns with a stick, braided buns, but at least sticks can't be used under the hat...

So the question is, how do you wear your hair at winter time , when it is cold and you need to wear hats! I know there are still 2 months of summer, but i am allready worried about winter... Winter Is Coming ;)

Larki
June 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I've seen satin cap liners, that you put on before you put a beanie/whatever on to protect your hair. Don't know where you would buy one, though! I don't think a sleep cap would work, they'd be too bulky and visible.

I live in California though, so I don't have much else to contribute to this conversation. :p

Seeshami
June 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
AspenSong made me a huge hat that fits any bun The Naughty Mess can make or could ever make. I love it

Anje
June 20th, 2014, 01:01 PM
My Ficcares get more use in winter, because they fit under stretchy beanies a lot better than sticks. But I'm known to braid for the hat and bun my hair after arrival, if necessary.

meteor
June 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I use a silk scarf under a hood, this way updos fit in, and the hair isn't getting rough and tangly thanks to silk.

hollygraham43
June 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I'm glad that I am not the only one who has a hard time knowing what to do with my hair and hats in the winter. Awesome suggestions so far and I will keep checking back!

Larki
June 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM
When I've visited places with snow, I usually do a side braid or pigtails and call it a day.

StellaKatherine
June 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM
When I've visited places with snow, I usually do a side braid or pigtails and call it a day.

Single braids were before my winter does and i like it, but my hair is now at TB lenght and growing more... now braid is coming in the way. Ofcourse one idea would be to have it in a single braid and put it up at work with a sticks.

YamaMaya
June 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Spin pins or those big U pins might help. They'll keep your hair secure without all the sticky out bits of a stick :)

pinchbeck
June 20th, 2014, 07:48 PM
At first I thought this thread was referring to Game of Thrones.

If I wore my hair in a bun I would get one of those slouchy hats that would accommodate the bun. In winter I wear a cotton or cotton blend knit hat and my hair in a single braid that is always tucked under my scarf and coat.

Another way to protect hair is to wrap a thick scarf around it on milder days. There are lots of pretty prints and fabrics to choose from.

StellaKatherine
June 20th, 2014, 10:56 PM
At first I thought this thread was referring to Game of Thrones.

Hehehe, I knew that some would :) I personally always been very sensitive to changes in weather and been saying such things like " winter is coming, it smells like autumn on its way..." and such since I remember. So it is kinda funny that after all the years now when i say something about winter everyone even in real life thinks about game of thrones :D Still nice serial with some amazing hairstyles :D

Ingrid
June 21st, 2014, 01:05 AM
I usually put my hair up in a bun on top of my head, secure it with a fork, and wear a ski hat or a beanie over it. Not very elegant but practical and the bun is hidden securely.

dwell_in_safety
June 21st, 2014, 07:33 AM
I have a couple silk beanies that I use in both summer (under scarves) and under hats in winter to protect my hair from the sun/the elements that I purchased from Pretty AnntoiNet's. They're a decently tight fit but stretch to accommodate my ever-increasing buns.

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 07:50 AM
I have a couple silk beanies that I use in both summer (under scarves) and under hats in winter to protect my hair from the sun/the elements that I purchased from Pretty AnntoiNet's. They're a decently tight fit but stretch to accommodate my ever-increasing buns.

Oh I just went to check, some interesting items there!

pinchbeck
June 21st, 2014, 10:49 AM

Does the sun really damage hair? If I wore a hair covering I wouldn't have golden brown highlights in my hair - it would be all ash brown (I think).

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 11:27 AM
Does the sun really damage hair? If I wore a hair covering I wouldn't have golden brown highlights in my hair - it would be all ash brown (I think).

Yes. Even though they look super cute, those golden highlights are symptomatic of UV damage (melanin and keratin loss due to photo-damage).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19138021:
"Excessive sun exposition is the most frequent cause of hair shaft's structural impairment. Photochemical impairment of the hair includes degradation and loss of hair proteins as well as degradation of hair pigment. Hair protein degradation is induced by wavelengths of 254-400 nm. UVB radiation is responsible for hair protein loss and UVA radiation is responsible for color changes. Absorption of radiation in photosensitive amino acids of the hair and their photochemical degradation is producing free radicals. They have adverse impact on hair proteins, especially keratin. Melanin can partially immobilize free radicals and block their entrance in keratin matrix. It also absorbs and filters adverse UV radiations. Therefore melanin is important for direct and indirect protection of hair proteins. Protecting the cuticle is very important for keeping hair shaft's integrity."

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 11:39 AM
meteor, that sounds scarry!

jacqueline101
June 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Wear a style that was told to me part hair down the center cross in the back and drape over my shoulders. I bun my hair at night and wear my satin cap to sleep in. If you need an up do I use a bun and snood to hold my hair. My hair holds a bun without anything.

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 12:04 PM
meteor, that sounds scarry!

Oh no, it's not THAT bad, because it takes a long time (around 200 hours, according to some research) to get to that damage, but it does happen. Very long hair has been exposed to sun for many years, so it can easily accumulate a lot of photo-damage.

Here is another study: Chemical and Photo-Oxidative Damage Studied by Dye Diffusion and Electrophoresis
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n04/p00379-p00394.pdf
It shows that there is some initial resistance to photo-oxidative degradation. But after hundreds of hours, it can be comparable or even worse than standard damage from bleach treatments.

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 12:13 PM
meteor, then I think I should be happy we have cold summer this year :D No sun much to see :) I still need to learn to cover my head at summer time too, but I hate the feeling of anything on my forehead unless it is -10C and more outside :D

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 12:23 PM
meteor, then I think I should be happy we have cold summer this year :D No sun much to see :) I still need to learn to cover my head at summer time too, but I hate the feeling of anything on my forehead unless it is -10C and more outside :D

Yes, I don't like wearing any hats either, but I started less than a month ago and I already notice that my hair isn't lightening up at all compared to what it does every summer. If your hats have brims, they will protect your skin from sun damage, too - skin is way more important to protect than hair, of course.

evb
June 21st, 2014, 12:28 PM
Rapunzel's Resouce has several close to the nape buns that are also braided: http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/style-index/

Several years ago I came across a gibson roll with three braids tucked into it and haven't been able to find the exact instructions ever since {I think it was that blonde little girl who who is all over the place but maybe not} but this is a close approximation: https://locksofelegance.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/late-victorian-triple-braided-tuck/ If anybody has bookmarked the original this is what I remember... no separate front hair rolled and pinned into place and the 3 braids were left dangling as a possibility or wrapped through several times over for a 'bun' I found it on pinterest I believe 2 or 3 yrs ago as different back to school type of hairstyles//braids. Foolishly I didn't pin it at the time.

anyway point is if you wear your bun low it might work for you with hats. My hair is between tailbone and classic and I just make two braids and wear them down fwiw

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 12:34 PM
Yes, I don't like wearing any hats either, but I started less than a month ago and I already notice that my hair isn't lightening up at all compared to what it does every summer. If your hats have brims, they will protect your skin from sun damage, too - skin is way more important to protect than hair, of course.

I do not like to go on the beach , but I walk to work and back about 12 km in total ( 7,4 miles ) and I noticed on a couple of sunny days that i should definitely take better care of my skin. The worst is when you think it is safe outside, clouds and all, and still you can get your skin burned.

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 12:39 PM
Rapunzel's Resouce has several close to the nape buns that are also braided: http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/style-index/

Several years ago I came across a gibson roll with three braids tucked into it and haven't been able to find the exact instructions ever since {I think it was that blonde little girl who who is all over the place but maybe not} but this is a close approximation: https://locksofelegance.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/late-victorian-triple-braided-tuck/ If anybody has bookmarked the original this is what I remember... no separate front hair rolled and pinned into place and the 3 braids were left dangling as a possibility or wrapped through several times over for a 'bun' I found it on pinterest I believe 2 or 3 yrs ago as different back to school type of hairstyles//braids. Foolishly I didn't pin it at the time.

anyway point is if you wear your bun low it might work for you with hats. My hair is between tailbone and classic and I just make two braids and wear them down fwiw

Oh I see so many low buns there, I really should go through them and try which will work for me :) Love the 3 braids!!! Truely great suggestions!

evb
June 21st, 2014, 01:01 PM
I looked through my old posts to see if I had linked to it and no I found myself requesting help finding it again on this post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45350&page=400&p=2376467#post2376467 according to my then more recent memory the original had 5 braids. Everytime I look for it I find the 3 braid versions. Here is another example of it: http://www.intimelyfashion.com/2008/07/21/gibson-braids/

unfortunately {or fortunately if you are not searching for a picture from 2 or 3 yrs ago} gibson tucks and rolls as well as braids and braided tucks and rolls had a run in popularity .. it is a nice style imo and if your profile can handle low buns that would keep your top of head and ears coverable by without disturbing too much. You said you liked braids so that is one that came to mind. BTW I love the braided bun in your profile ^5

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM
evb, Awww you are too kind to search for me the style ! Thank you ! :blossom: I rarely wear anything that is very low on my neck, but this doesn't mean I shouldn't try those styles. At summer I try to keep everything up and neck naked because of all the heat, but on winter it is rarely hot, so I will be trying :agree:

Oh and you for your compliment, you are too sweet for saying so :inlove:

Larki
June 21st, 2014, 02:32 PM
You can use sunblock on your hair, if you don't want to use a hat or scarf to protect it from the sun! I've been mixing a couple tablespoons of sunblock with a cup of water and some conditioner in a spray bottle.

merrow
June 21st, 2014, 02:58 PM
I like your Game of Thrones reference. :D

As for wearing long hair under a hat, I used to do what you described above, just a normal English braid or French braid, tuck it inside my coat or jacket, put my hat on and step out into the mystical (and super chilly) season of winter!

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 03:11 PM
You can use sunblock on your hair, if you don't want to use a hat or scarf to protect it from the sun! I've been mixing a couple tablespoons of sunblock with a cup of water and some conditioner in a spray bottle.
It's easy to put skin sunscreen like that on hair, but how can you be sure that it actually works? Hair protection is not skin sunscreen's purpose and they weren't designed and tested that way. Chemical sunscreens (oxybenzone, avobenzone, etc) work by absorbing (or sometimes scattering) sun rays after penetrating into skin (hence the requirement to apply 20 minutes before sun exposure the the need to reapply regularly). But hair has a completely different structure. Physical sunscreen (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) cover skin (they are notorious for that white cast), blocking sun rays, but I don't see how you can cover every hair strand of your canopy without it looking white?

So, there are rinse-out and leave-in conditioners with UV filters, but they are there to protect hair dye from fading, not actually saving your own melanin. Besides, again - how can you apply that to every hair strand exposed? With all those products out there, dyes still fade fast in summertime. I have some products with UV protection and I certainly still saw my hair getting lighter if I stayed in the sun. I don't rely on them for UV protection.

So hats/scarfs/shade provide the best protection, IMHO.

There might be something to henna protection though, because we know from observation that skin gets some UV protection from henna, and henna doesn't really fade the way chemical red dyes do in the sun, so maybe henna protects the hair underneath... Or it could be that some melanin is lost due to photo-damage but the henna stays, which would explain why many say hennaed hair gets brighter in summertime? I'm only wondering about this, but there isn't any research into this, AFAIK.

lapushka
June 21st, 2014, 04:55 PM
Right now I am wearing buns with a stick, braided buns, but at least sticks can't be used under the hat...

So the question is, how do you wear your hair at winter time , when it is cold and you need to wear hats! I know there are still 2 months of summer, but i am allready worried about winter... Winter Is Coming ;)

You might want to try spin pins instead of sticks, that might help with the pokey out bits of sticks.

melilot
June 21st, 2014, 04:58 PM
Might be a silly question, but why not wear hair the same in winter as worn during summer? Is it the weather conditions that damage hair or for sake of comfort?

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM
Might be a silly question, but why not wear hair the same in winter as worn during summer? Is it the weather conditions that damage hair or for sake of comfort?

If I lived in a country with mild climate, I'd do so. But we get extremely cold winters here, so I really like to wear something warm. In winter-time, I prefer hoods to hats, because updos fit better. In summertime, I can wear hats, because those are light, flexible hats that don't have to cover my ears, because it's not cold.

excentricat
June 21st, 2014, 05:55 PM
Depending on how much hat I need, I may braid it for lots of hat. Less hat needs mean that I might use my normal bun and a calorimetry, or wrap a scarf around my head.

melilot
June 26th, 2014, 10:57 PM
If I lived in a country with mild climate, I'd do so. But we get extremely cold winters here, so I really like to wear something warm. In winter-time, I prefer hoods to hats, because updos fit better. In summertime, I can wear hats, because those are light, flexible hats that don't have to cover my ears, because it's not cold.
Thanks for your reply! Wasn't sure if it wasn't just for weather comfort or if it had to do with weather related hair damage. Cannot wait until scarf season is back!

QMacrocarpa
June 27th, 2014, 07:02 AM
A big stretchy hat that I hand-sewed out of poly fleece fits comfortably over pretty much any of my winter updo's, even ones with a (not-too-long) stick. There are lots of patterns and tutorials online. A generously-sized hat works well-- mine is the same size as my husband's, though his head is bigger. The commercial pattern I use takes about half a yard of fleece.

Metallia
June 27th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I have a hat from this Etsy seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EmmasLittleCreations
I have one of the roomier, satin lined ones, and I love it. I had mine custom done in my specific color with the lining, and I wear it all the time, over giant buns, in the winter. It even fits over *most* of my sticks and forks. I get a lot of compliments on it, and the seller is really great.

StellaKatherine
June 27th, 2014, 10:04 AM

I live in the north of Finland.. we can get -35 C winters.... There is not chance to wear my hair as I do at summer time....

StellaKatherine
June 27th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I have a hat from this Etsy seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EmmasLittleCreations
I have one of the roomier, satin lined ones, and I love it. I had mine custom done in my specific color with the lining, and I wear it all the time, over giant buns, in the winter. It even fits over *most* of my sticks and forks. I get a lot of compliments on it, and the seller is really great.

I really like the way they look, but not sure if they will fit my face. But might be a good thing to try :)

Adiro
December 14th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Hello
I used to wear various types of winter hats, before joining LHC. But before joining, I used to wear my hair down or in a low pony, so all the hats would fit .
Now I mostly wear a bun, and my hair has grown some, and I find that most of my hats don't fit me anymore.
I only have one that still fits, but I need new ideas for winter hats, worn over big hair
Could you tell me what you do in winter time, and what are you wearing ! It would be nice to show, if you'd like!!!!
thanks

Adiro
December 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM
ok, this is mine, the only one that passes over my bun.
in this photo, I had a flexi 8 to hold the bun, When I wear sticks, I look a little like I have cat's ears under the hat :)
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg.html)URL=http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg.html]http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg[/URL]

Stormynights
December 14th, 2014, 01:12 AM
You are so beautiful.

Selkie-
December 14th, 2014, 02:07 AM
That looks really cute Adiro! I don't have any pictures to share - I am in the southern hemisphere and it is mid-summer now! :D

Sarahlabyrinth
December 14th, 2014, 02:09 AM
in this photo, I had a flexi 8 to hold the bun, When I wear sticks, I look a little like I have cat's ears under the hat :)
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg.html)URL=http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg.html]http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg[/URL]

That is just the cutest hat. Adiro! I need a new winter hat, did you buy yours online?

sapphire-o
December 14th, 2014, 03:09 AM
I only have a toque that can fit over my bun and hairsticks, and it's made by myself. Basically I felted a thrifted small cashmere sweater, then cut off the body and sewed one end together. I made the top part into a flower shape instead of just bunched together. Sometimes if I feel like it I pull a silk scarf through the loops on top and let the ends dangle in the wind. I probably look like a clown but I don't care. It's soft, warm and unique. A real cashmere toque would cost way more than the $2 I paid, and and wouldn't fit over my bun. :D

OK, got a picture. There's an infinity bun with a pair of Mamacat sticks inside. The toque itself is really boring (dark olive). DH thought the scarf was ridiculous. :D

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/sapphire-o/Hair%20and%20Toys%20Photos/cashmerehat_zpsb6289667.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/sapphire-o/media/Hair%20and%20Toys%20Photos/cashmerehat_zpsb6289667.jpg.html)

Charybdis
December 14th, 2014, 03:56 AM
adiro, I covet that hat! It has to be colder than it ever gets here, like under -10C, for me to normally consider a full hat (an ear warmer headband is as much as my hot head needs), and I look stupid in most winter hats, but yours is so fantastic I might wear it even on warmer days just as fashion. I will have to keep an eye out for something similar.

sapphire-o, I don't think the scarf is ridiculous, I think it's festive. :)

ladyfey
December 14th, 2014, 04:30 AM
I wear a tam hat or snood. I like the etsy shops a snood for all seasons and add some stitches. I got an add some stitches slouchy hat a couple of weeks ago and I love it. My hair is floor length and in a bun with a hairstick, I have no problem getting hair coverings from either of those etsy shops over the bun.

Lippytoes
December 14th, 2014, 05:36 AM
I knit my own hats mostly, and make sure to make them loose enough at the back that a bun fits inside. :)

DreamSheep
December 14th, 2014, 05:39 AM
This one is more of a joke - but this is what I wore to work the other day:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10427238_10205243755351973_4256197830971365244_n.j pg?oh=2c13c0a83228248ab338c0bba492389a&oe=55114B2C&__gda__=1426489161_50d0204cbffa7697a54579a7b1aefbc 2
Tophats are really a great option for high buns :p

In more seriousness - I tend to wear woolly headbands (like the one I am wearing) which are bun friendly and cover my ears. Occasionally I wrap a scarf over. I also have a beanie style hat that stretches over my hair (will also post a picture of this when I find it).

Selkie-
December 14th, 2014, 06:11 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10427238_10205243755351973_4256197830971365244_n.j pg?oh=2c13c0a83228248ab338c0bba492389a&oe=55114B2C&__gda__=1426489161_50d0204cbffa7697a54579a7b1aefbc 2

In more seriousness - I tend to wear woolly headbands (like the one I am wearing) which are bun friendly and cover my ears. Occasionally I wrap a scarf over. I also have a beanie style hat that stretches over my hair (will also post a picture of this when I find it).

Haha that's hilarious! :laugh: You must work in a pretty relaxed environment! :p

DreamSheep
December 14th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Haha that's hilarious! :laugh: You must work in a pretty relaxed environment! :p

Haha! Well, when I say work I really mean PhD - where people are cool and relaxed. We were organising a Christmas Quiz and the presenter required a tophat, which I was supplying. And I swear there is no better way to transport a tophat than by wearing it all day :p

Adiro
December 14th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Stormynights, thank you :p

Selkie, I envy you!!!! I would love to live in a warmer climate!

SarahLabirinth, no, I bought it a couple of years ago at the Agricultural Winter Fair here in Toronto... from one of those little booths. It's a no name thing.

SaphireO, what a great idea!!! My dryer has ruined a great many cashmere sweaters, too bad I didn't save them. they all have shrunk to the size of my 5 years old niece, so I passed them to her. You are very creative!!! And I think the scarf looks super cute actually, like a pompom of sorts!!!!

Charybdis, the hat is not good for warmer weather ,because it's lined inside ( also lined with satin, which is good for hair). Might be worth looking on ebay for similar things, in China they make everything! haha ( but mine is not from China, is from some local craft store here)

Ladyfey, I need to check Etsy, duh.... I didn't think of it one bit, all my Etsy links are for sticks and forks.... like they sell nothing else on Etsy :)

Lippytoes, how cool! I wish I had the skill and the time to knit !!! My grandma rest in peace used to knit so much , so fast and so beautiful, as a child I was dressed only in clothing made by her, all hand made and unique, and of course that I was stupid enough not to appreciate them.... and I wanted what other kids were having, from the department stores...

DreamSheep, you are SO cute! and so intellectual looking!!! Yes the hat is kinda tall on you, I guess you could even fit a sock bun in there!!!! I actually like hard hats, and they fit me nice when my hair is down, but with the hair up, not a chance

Islandgrrl
December 14th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I have a knit beehive hat I made with this pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slouchy-beehive-hat). It fits over my bun, my hair is knee length.

Stellaaa
December 14th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Hey, the stores are FULL of hats that fit over buns.

See:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Stellaaa/santahat1_zps9412b9dd.jpg

Hohoho

lunasea
December 14th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I have a knit beehive hat I made with this pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slouchy-beehive-hat). It fits over my bun, my hair is knee length.

Thanks for this pattern, it looks great!

pastina
December 14th, 2014, 09:22 PM
the timing of this thread is perfect.

i was so bummed when my usual skull cap thing wouldnt fit over my bun this weekend. it was always my go to when i needed to run out of the house before my hair was dry-- i used to damp bun with claw clips and pop on the cap. i know i gained a heck of a lot of length this year, but i was still surprised. yeahhh that hat didnt even come close to working this time.

sigh! long hair problems!

Adiro
December 15th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Islandgrrl, thank you it's an idea to look for ( but not to make, as I don't knit myself....)

Stellaaaaa, HoHoHo to you too :) :cool: but you know the winter doesn't finish on Christmas day, right? Not that I wouldn't wear a Santa hat until March, but I still want my husband to acknowledge me in public, at least from time to time :)

Pastina, I am just like you, all my hats but this stopped working for me this year ( I did get about 5 inches longer than ever, and started to wear buns)

Majorane
December 15th, 2014, 12:10 AM
I have a winter hat with earflaps, that connect under my chin, sort of like this one http://bin.snmmd.nl/m/m1fy1gvw5nww.jpg . Yes, I live in the Netherlands. No, we don't get extreme colds here. Yes, I know it's overkill. And last year I was all brave and wore a normal, knitted hat, and boom exploded sinusses. So, yes, I do keep wearing these overkill hats. Does anyone have an idea what to do with hair unter those? I can't even fit a tight flexibun under it, the added bulk will pull the hat backwards too much so my forehead isn't covered any more :wail: and my uniform coats all have high collars (of fleece) so I can't do a low bun in my neck, and if I let my hair loose or in a braid, my nape hairs get felted by the fleece.

I was thinking of maybe cutting a hole in the backside of the hat, so my bun sticks out. With a drawstring and all. Would probably look ridiculous, but what's worse it could ruin a good hat forever.

First world problems!

Adiro
December 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Ah, Majorane, I know exactly what you mean, about exploded sinuses! Sadly I am one of those as well, I think I was born with a tendency for sinus colds! And yes, I have the same problem, most hats just don't fit any more over my bun.

cat11
December 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM
oh I think I'll be watching this thread! usually I braid my hair when I absolutely need to wear a hat. I have one of those wolly ear headbands too.. I just cant stand the idea of my hair getting all fuzzed up inside the hat lol

RedStripe
December 15th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I don't have any pictures, but I almost always were berets in the winter (the traditional felt type, not knitted/crocheted ones). I have a collection of them in many colors -- deep purple, pea green, black, apple red, navy blue, hot pink ...

They are great because I can either slouch them around/above my bun, or tuck my bun inside the beret so it's covered up by it.

Adiro
December 15th, 2014, 11:53 PM
i just did a quick search on ebay for winter hats, and apparently it is full of "baggy" beanies and other hats, all made in China.... I am wondering if Chinese sizes would still be large here.... ( I had some "surprising" experience with Chinese sizes in the past)

Kina
December 16th, 2014, 06:08 AM
You are so beautiful.

that was exactly my thought. wow, you're stunning, Adiro!

And to keep it on topic, I wear this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045EG1YG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's big enough to cover my bun and head gear. Also, if I'm wearing it loose, I can just bundle my hair in and it acts like a snood.

Rushli
December 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I dont have anything right now but I ran across this: fabric hooded cowl (http://www.asquaredw.com/2011/12/its-done-heres-tutorial-for-hooded-cowl.html). All the cute ones I have seen are knitted and I can not knit, so this should work for me. What first caught my attention was that they used laminate for a rain hat. I hate umbrellas. I usually have my hands too full with diaper bags and kids to worry about an umbrella and just make a mad dash from the car to where ever. Now that I have wood hair toys to keep safe, this would be perfect. I will just add it to my ever growing list of things to make and maybe it will get done. :D

Anje
December 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Right now I've just got a regular blah acrylic toque with some Thinsulate in it. It's a pet peeve of mine that so many knit winter hats let the wind right through, and I have a large enough head that most women's hats don't fit right even with my hair down. (I would LOVE suggestions to solve this, because I usually wear hats when the wind is brutal, and they seem so woefully ineffective then.)

I do have a fleece thing with ears that I got last year, just for fun. Unfortunately, it's a bit tight to wear with an updo (even though I ORDERED it larger, grumble), and I may need to deconstruct it so I can get the ears to stay standing upright.
http://s29.postimg.org/885zs4y2v/IMG_20131218_184024.jpg
(Older photo)

rowie
December 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
That is so cute Anje! :thumbsup: I don't know my head might be too big for a beanie type, but what I do wear is one that was made by a friend on here (you know who you are). This is my favorite all time piece I wear the most including the clip I got from her that matches this piece. :crush: I think it was called something like "Calorimeter." I might of butchered the spelling but she even felted this piece and so I treasure it.

http://i.imgur.com/uqKSCCr.jpg

chen bao jun
December 16th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I want to make a calorimetry so badly. But I m allergic to wool and have lost my silk and other yarns. Rowie, yours is gorgeous. I will go hunting under the beds again, the non allergic yarn is somewhere.
I've always had to make hats, even without hair I have a giant head.

Charybdis
December 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Rowie, I really like that wrap. Classy and practical.

Another big-headed person here. I was Christmas shopping today and saw a cute military-style cap, which is something I've been interested in for awhile. One size fits all, my foot! I could barely get it on my head (and that's with my hair down).

Nadine <3
December 16th, 2014, 05:50 PM
When I wear a bun I use a headband. I do have a knit hat that could easily stretch over a bun if I used spin pins but it feels uncomfortable to me so I just wear braids with my hats. I have a rather large collection of obnoxious, festive hats lol

hennalonghair
December 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Gorgeous!

Haha. I'm sooo glad you said you wore this as joke. :whistle:

Hey, the stores are FULL of hats that fit over buns.

See:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Stellaaa/santahat1_zps9412b9dd.jpg

Hohoho

I have a winter hat with earflaps, that connect under my chin, sort of like this one http://bin.snmmd.nl/m/m1fy1gvw5nww.jpg . Yes, I live in the Netherlands. No, we don't get extreme colds here. Yes, I know it's overkill. And last year I was all brave and wore a normal, knitted hat, and boom exploded sinusses. So, yes, I do keep wearing these overkill hats. Does anyone have an idea what to do with hair unter those? I can't even fit a tight flexibun under it, the added bulk will pull the hat backwards too much so my forehead isn't covered any more :wail: and my uniform coats all have high collars (of fleece) so I can't do a low bun in my neck, and if I let my hair loose or in a braid, my nape hairs get felted by the fleece.

I was thinking of maybe cutting a hole in the backside of the hat, so my bun sticks out. With a drawstring and all. Would probably look ridiculous, but what's worse it could ruin a good hat forever.

First world problems!i have a hat like this also but it doesn't fit my bun. I've got a big bulge under my hat;)

Right now I've just got a regular blah acrylic toque with some Thinsulate in it. It's a pet peeve of mine that so many knit winter hats let the wind right through, and I have a large enough head that most women's hats don't fit right even with my hair down. (I would LOVE suggestions to solve this, because I usually wear hats when the wind is brutal, and they seem so woefully ineffective then.)

I do have a fleece thing with ears that I got last year, just for fun. Unfortunately, it's a bit tight to wear with an updo (even though I ORDERED it larger, grumble), and I may need to deconstruct it so I can get the ears to stay standing upright.

(Older photo)

So friggin cute!

Adiro
December 17th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Kina, thank you for the Amazon link, I love those! and they come in so many pretty colours!!!!!

Anje, your photo is so cute!!!!!! I wanted to wear once bunny ears, but unfortunately my husband wanted a full playboy bunny , not just the ears, lol I decided not to stretch my luck any more

Rowie, oh, that headband is LOVELY ( never mind the ficcare, just breathtaking in your hair!!!!!) I was curious what you might wear, so glad you replied !!!! I love the headband, I think those are really lovely and I usually flattering on the face as well!!!! I might try to get one, for when the winter is mild here

Nadine, this is the right place to show some "obnoxious festive hats" lol,

Adiro
December 17th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Rushii, I missed you?!? the shawl is a great idea, if not exactly a good look on me... but on others might look great! indeed the fact that is's rain proofed is great for hair toys!!!!

HennaLongHair, with a hair as rich as yours you're really going to need a stretchy hat!

Robot Ninja
December 17th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Question to people who have those headbands that button in the back: Does the button catch on hair when it's down or in a braid? I want to make one but if it will pull out my hair I'd have to go without the button.

Majorane
December 17th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Another questio for the people (Rowie) with the button headband: ...is it adequately warm? Since the top bit of your head is still exposed. Now I rarely suffer from crowncold, much more from ear/forehead/templecold, but, well.

carrielynn
December 18th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I too use a calorimetry (headband) for general winter wear, though I'm not outside more than a couple minutes at a time (house to car, car to store, etc.). If I wear my hair down the button does catch a little bit, but I try to go really slow when fastening and unfastening to minimize pulling. With braids I've actually worn it over top of the braid before (especially if it's a side braid). I made my own calorimetries using this pattern (http://underhuntressmoon.blogspot.com/2010/01/calorimetry.html), (originally found on Ravelry, but you have to be a Ravelry member to view it there) -- it was my very first crochet project.

I also made a "slouchie beanie (http://www.jennlikesyarn.com/blog/2012/03/free-crochet-pattern-really-easy)", but didn't use the best yarn so it's kind of scratchy. Maybe I'll line it with some silky fabric.

Once the holidays are over and I've completed all of the gift projects I'm working on for other people, I really want to make a scoodie (https://www.etsy.com/search?q=scoodie) (scarf+hoodie) out of super soft yarn.

Rushli
December 18th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Those scoodies are what I love! I just don't knitt nor do I want to pay $30+ for them. (Not that they are not worth it) I knew them by the term hooded cowl as well. Maybe one of these days I will get matched with a knitting swap gifter and when she stalks me, will find this post and know even if though it is warmer weather, she will know that this will still make a great gift! Lol

Marjorane, I have worn plenty of headband type coverings in the past, and never really felt more cold than in a hat. I don't think I ever spent more than 15 min or so out at a time. At least as an adult, but kids never make sane choices so those experiences can't be trusted.

Chromis
December 18th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Here's a copy of a post I made to another of these threads. Now, this person had been asking specifically about knitting hats, but I am sure nonknitters can at least get some ideas on shapes! (Or ya know, we knitters are happy to enable you into learning. I taught myself from kid's books originally and now there are loads of resources!)

Ready for some picture overload? Ya might want to grab a cuppa tea if you have a slow connection

Favourite winter style:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6776230451_30fd5d221e.jpg
The log roll. Your hair is still too short for this I think, but you might be able to do a French Twist. I never figured them out myself. You can find this style in the articles for instruction. A fairly flat bun like a cinnamon bun with Amish pins should work well and so does a Ficcare braid or a folded braid. Flattish is the key for me under most hats. I do have one that can take anything I throw at it, but I do find I can't really wear a hood if I make the bun too big anyhow.

My favourite hat:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6776227333_d96da83cff.jpg
Best reason to learn how to knit ever. I love this hat. I'm wearing it here to show the degree of slouch. It's not rasta sized, but much roomier than a beanie. I never wear it like this in real life though!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6776233467_125636ac40.jpg
I have to admit, it does make a bulge in the back, but my ears are all covered and so is my hair.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6776243825_3e6f22ebdd.jpg
And it looks pretty cute still from the front! (The pattern here is called Guinan btw)

If you can find or make even poofier hats, you can eliminate most of the bulge even!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6857225437_5fa6f8e4aa.jpg
This pattern is the Russula Tam. Very, very roomy. Again just showing this for comparison.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7193/6857205065_6af990edaa.jpg
And this is how I normally wear it, with bonus chicken! Hi Camilla! I made this one as a fall/spring hat so I could actually have a matching set of something for once :lol:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8327440466_dc5ca1f0f4.jpg
And as a proof of concept shot, this is a picture I took once just after I'd walked home and then shoveled snow. Double scarves and there is a Calorimetry under a slouchy toque. I now have a much better coat for the climate! Calorimetries are great if you will only be out a couple of minutes (I wear mine to run out and check on the quail in the garage) or if it is not super, super cold yet. I mostly wear mine in fall and spring since I am always out walking. Your needs will be different if you drive versus walk/bike/transit.

Oh, and one more to add...

I personally have the best luck in simply making sure my hats fit over my hair. Look at the difference otherwise:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2687/4120765406_c453cb69c0.jpg
I know they are hard to see, but look at those poor chilly earlobes all exposed! Brrrr.... Plus the whole hat wants to skootch upwards leaving my forehead more exposed too. When I put the hat fully over the hair, I am all covered and warm! AT least until there is a super chilly wind :lol:

Anje
December 18th, 2014, 02:14 PM
OOoh, Chromis -- any pattern links?

I'd have to put my facehugger crochet on hold, but I wouldn't mind making a good hat or two.

ETA: Ha, cool, found them on Ravelry! :D

Adiro
December 18th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Carrielyn, you are so talented!!! and thank you for the new term "scoodie" I never heard of it in my life. Cool links too, unfortunately the one I like better are rather pricey!!! My mom actually made something like this for herself and all her friends at school ( she's a teacher ) out of real hoods from older jackets, plus pieces of the jackets themselves.... and she tailored some really cool stuff, if one likes the look....

Chormis, I much enjoy your photos!!!! your favourite hat is my favourite too!!! it looks like a sea shell of expandable like a harmonica !!! I love it, but I love the second set too!!! I wish I had the talent and the skill and the time to create stuff like these!!!! and I know about frozen ears and head colds, I also pull my hats really low on my head, because i always get sinus colds and they give me the worst headaches..

Chromis
December 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Oh, and one more! I don't think I had knitted it yet at the time of that post I copied.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4031/4496756486_10572bb490.jpg
Opus Spicatum

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2750/4496753320_2479ff215c.jpg
I made mine just a bit bigger than the pattern, but really should have given it maybe another couple of repeats or something. This one has gotten heavy use for the past couple of years and now has felted very slightly which made it shrink. Now the very bottom of my earlobes peek out, brrr!

After I finish knitting the sweater I am working on (Owls by Kate Davies, fun pattern, but I am using the suggested yarn and it is horrid) my next project is a new winter hat. Stranded hats are really nice since that makes them double thick. Already have the yarn all spun up and I am almost up to the top of the sweater yoke, so soon, soon! The fun part of course will be scouring Ravelry for a pattern once I've measured my yarn weight, but Caller Herrin or Northern Nights are strong contenders so far.

Adiro - I promise Guinan is actually a very easy knit! All you need to know are how to cast on, knit, and purl. It would even make a reasonable first project I think or second project. I knit my own since I have trouble finding good hats in the shops. I have the same problem with sweaters too. It's like retailers don't think you need warm things...in Canada.

Majorane
December 19th, 2014, 12:50 AM
And another topic i which size really does matter.... because ALL preknitted hats over here can't accomodate my freakishly large head (....at least, I think it is freakishly large, since so little hats fit...) AND cover my ears AND the bun. Thank you, Chromis, for this in-depth kick in the butt as to why I really should learn how to knit............

Fortunately it's mostly +10 degrees this week. So much betterer. The rain sucks, but at least my head isn't cold.

Crystawni
December 19th, 2014, 02:21 AM
I wish it was coldererer here so I could put my knitting skillz to use! Sadly, even winter is warm. Love these hats, though!

DreamSheep
December 19th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I wish it was coldererer here so I could put my knitting skillz to use! Sadly, even winter is warm. Love these hats, though!

Aww lucky!
I used to live in Spain, I wish I was there again and never need to wrap up warm again! (she says, with a stinking cold from the past 3 weeks)

Crystawni
December 19th, 2014, 03:36 AM
3 weeks! Urk. Get ye betters soon! Here's a little something you can't smell (with or without nasal blockness), but looks purdy and may cheer you up: :flower: I've got a summer cold, but it's not hanging, thankfully. I remember the cold temps where I grew up (almost snow-cold, but that was rare). The pain and stiffness of joints were beginning to hit, and as a typist (writer) and bass player... Not the go. And trying to keep warm--I never really could get warm enough unless it tipped the other way with too many layers in a heated room and I boiled! Funnest thing was reaching across to hubster in bed with my icy tooties. Yeah, he'd jump. And swear. And then he'd warm me up. :p He was never cold--he even wore short sleeves in the depths of shiverdom. But my ears, nose and toes... Always icy! I don't miss that!

Majorane
December 19th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I was actually pretty cold-resistant until I was 18. Then, first we had a very long and blistering hot spring and summer, by the time it started to cool I went to Auz, where I happily roasted in NSW and oh-lords-how-do-you-survive-sunny Queensland, and by the time I got back to the Netherlands we had a very warm late summer and autumn. That was 1,5 year of heat and after that, I broke, can't stand the cold any more, will get drippynose from september to may and I need hot water bottles to defrost the feet. Ugh. Darn Australia ruined winters for me.

So, Crystawni, I don't feel sorry for you and your sunny un-hatted rearbehind at all. It's all you Australians' fault, anyway!

:p

Crystawni
December 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM
*takes a bow*

*waves from ohmygoodnessit'sahotonetoday Downunda*

*runs from drippynosed Majorane*

:p :p :p

Majorane
December 20th, 2014, 12:16 AM
http://www.freshprintsclothing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/FRESHPRINTS_DAILYDOODLE_FEB1_RUNNINGNOSE.jpg
(my nose, chasing Crystawni)

two_wheels
December 22nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
Oh, and one more! I don't think I had knitted it yet at the time of that post I copied.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4031/4496756486_10572bb490.jpg
Opus Spicatum

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2750/4496753320_2479ff215c.jpg
I made mine just a bit bigger than the pattern, but really should have given it maybe another couple of repeats or something. This one has gotten heavy use for the past couple of years and now has felted very slightly which made it shrink. Now the very bottom of my earlobes peek out, brrr!

After I finish knitting the sweater I am working on (Owls by Kate Davies, fun pattern, but I am using the suggested yarn and it is horrid) my next project is a new winter hat. Stranded hats are really nice since that makes them double thick. Already have the yarn all spun up and I am almost up to the top of the sweater yoke, so soon, soon! The fun part of course will be scouring Ravelry for a pattern once I've measured my yarn weight, but Caller Herrin or Northern Nights are strong contenders so far.

Adiro - I promise Guinan is actually a very easy knit! All you need to know are how to cast on, knit, and purl. It would even make a reasonable first project I think or second project. I knit my own since I have trouble finding good hats in the shops. I have the same problem with sweaters too. It's like retailers don't think you need warm things...in Canada.

I've had that Owls pattern on my list for aaaaaages. Sorry the yarn isn't nice. I am fussy about yarns so will be sure to use a different one! Hope yours comes out perfectly :)

Kherome
December 23rd, 2014, 06:30 AM

First world problems!

I wear one like this too. A cinnabun with pins fits under it for me if I am careful to make as flat as possible.

Chromis
December 23rd, 2014, 07:04 AM
I've had that Owls pattern on my list for aaaaaages. Sorry the yarn isn't nice. I am fussy about yarns so will be sure to use a different one! Hope yours comes out perfectly :)

It's funny, I tolerate some quite coarse wools just fine, but the Shetland Moorit is wonderfully soft, except for all these random kemp hairs! Not sorted very well. If it was all harsh I'd be fine, but having something nice and soft and then feeling a prickle is much more annoying! (Please don't fear other Shetland wool yarns though, I have knit and spun plenty of it and have not had this happen before!)

It is a lovely knit though, well written pattern and would be very fast indeed if I didn't have to keep picking at the yarn!

Caraid♫
December 23rd, 2014, 08:16 AM
I love this thread, these are the most adorable pictures!!
Personally I've become a big fan of the head scarf!! In this pic it's not over a bun, but the great thing about a scarf is you can accommodate however much room you want and works perfectly over a bun! I almost never wear hats anymore :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14926&d=1419347438
I surprisingly find it as warm as a toque usually. Maybe when it gets down below -10 or -15 Celsius, I find I'd need a toque instead though

Scarlet_Heart
December 23rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
I love everyone's hats! Here's my deal:

I've always wanted a slouchy hat, but I have a seriously large head and even "slouchy" hats, when worn by me, look like I tried to pull a sock over my head. So I commissioned a custom hat last year. The lovely vendor on etsy was like "Are you sure you want it that big?" Yes. I love that it looks like a normal slouchy hat on me and that it covers my bun and keeps my ears warm.

You can also see my recently cut and very unfortunate bangs. :( They're fun for like a week and then I hate them. I never ever learn.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/eelaynuh/Hair/BunWinterHat_zps1787498a.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/eelaynuh/media/Hair/BunWinterHat_zps1787498a.jpg.html)

*Bonus: my super adorable (if I say so myself) little man sporting his winter hat. Woo, Spiderman!

two_wheels
December 23rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
It's funny, I tolerate some quite coarse wools just fine, but the Shetland Moorit is wonderfully soft, except for all these random kemp hairs! Not sorted very well. If it was all harsh I'd be fine, but having something nice and soft and then feeling a prickle is much more annoying! (Please don't fear other Shetland wool yarns though, I have knit and spun plenty of it and have not had this happen before!)

It is a lovely knit though, well written pattern and would be very fast indeed if I didn't have to keep picking at the yarn!

My skin is mega fussy about wool so I stick to merino. I respect your obstinacy in picking the bits out of the yarn, I'd be doing exactly the same thing!

Caraid, your scarf is so pretty, very Grace Kelly!

Scarlet, I love your santa hat and your little boy is adorable :)

Anje
December 23rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Don't you all get frozen foreheads, wearing hats that way?

Kherome
December 23rd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Don't you all get frozen foreheads, wearing hats that way?

No kidding

Scarlet_Heart
December 23rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Nope, bangs. :thumbsup:

Thanks, two_wheels! I honestly didn't mean for it to look like a santa hat, lol. Kinda hard to believe since that's exactly what it looks like. I was going for a shabby chic color combo so I ordered the hat in coral and cream, not realizing it would look pretty much like a santa hat. :shrug:

two_wheels
December 23rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Ooooooops *backpedals wildly* I love your tropical-themed coral-and-white-sand-not-remotely-santa hat :D

I do actually see that it is coral now. Silly eyes.

ARG
December 23rd, 2014, 11:50 AM
Gah!! Those cheeks!! Scarlet your little man is so adorable! I just want to squish him!

My sister is coming on Christmas, and she mentioned making me a slouchy hat (I just can't get the hang of them for some reason). Usually I wear a french/dutch braid when snowboarding and tuck the tassle into my jacket. I prefer having some hair stick out, lest I look bald in my beanies.:shrug:

sumidha
December 23rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Oh yay Cariad, such a pretty scarf! I've been lurking here waiting to see if anyone would post some scarf styles. Between itchy wool on my forehead and hats never fitting over buns, let alone a bun and a hair toy, I wear scarves like 90% of the time. :)

MINAKO
December 25th, 2014, 07:21 AM
i had a big floppy black ribbed knit merino wool beanie i dearly loved the past few years, but it unraveled and didnt look very nice anymore, so i tossed it in hope to find something else but now i just wear my scarf wrapped around my face, with a hood underneath in case i wear one, i knid of like the fast that my ears aint trapped and my forehead doesnt become itchy tho.
all the other heads i have are only fitting over my head but not my bun, like caps and bucket hats.

Kherome
January 11th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Be honest, if I made a hat that matches this cowl I just finished...am I going to be a walking eye sore of too many bright colors?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/cowllining_zps4d4f25f9.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/iwasbornonahorse/media/cowllining_zps4d4f25f9.jpg.html)

Kitten1030
January 11th, 2015, 09:26 PM
I think you would just make everyone who sees you happy. That cowl just oozes joy!

Stormynights
January 11th, 2015, 10:41 PM
That cowl is just drop dead gorgeous. If you make a matching hat everyone will be jealous.

Kherome
January 11th, 2015, 10:55 PM
I am afraid it would be "loud" to say the least. But I kind of want to do it anyway.

two_wheels
January 12th, 2015, 12:30 AM
I would make it with just one or two of the colours so it matches but isn't excessive... But that's just my taste ;)

Stormynights
January 12th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Go loud and proud. It will be beautiful.

SkyChild
January 12th, 2015, 12:53 AM
I sport a floppy green woolly beanie thing which looked gorgeous when I had dyed ginger hair sticking out the bottom and now looks a bit odd when I tuck my bun into it and you can't see it anymore. It's currently falling apart a little so I'll be getting a new one for next year I think.

Upside Down
January 12th, 2015, 01:52 AM
Be honest, if I made a hat that matches this cowl I just finished...am I going to be a walking eye sore of too many bright colors?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/cowllining_zps4d4f25f9.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/iwasbornonahorse/media/cowllining_zps4d4f25f9.jpg.html)

This is sooo pretty!

Chromis
January 12th, 2015, 06:41 AM
I vote do it! Then again, I like loud. Less chance of being run over because someone "didn't see me" in broad daylight in the crosswalk.

Kherome
January 12th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Haha good point Chromis, I would be hard to miss. But I might end up with a reputation though..."Hey there is that crazy loud color lady!" Hehe

Rushli
January 12th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Loud works with outdoor gear. I say go for it!

chen bao jun
January 13th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I love that entrelac cowl. Beautiful, you are a master knitter.

Kherome
January 13th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I love that entrelac cowl. Beautiful, you are a master knitter.

Thank you but I am far from a master knitter. Entrelac isn't as difficult as it appears, it takes a little concentration at first but it gets to be pretty easy.

Zebra Fish
January 13th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I envy your knitting skills Chromis :D

Caraid♫
January 13th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Kherome, that cowel is amazing, you should totally make a matching hat!

So it's been way too cold this week for just the head scarf I normally wear, so I've found a winning combo of a hat that has ample space for extra hair, and then a scarf around that for reinforcement!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15220&d=1421188716

DreamSheep
January 14th, 2015, 03:21 AM
I love that cowl Kherome! I've been drooling over those bright colours since it appeared on the Winter Swap thread! :p

It looks so warm and cozy too!

Kherome
January 14th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I love that cowl Kherome! I've been drooling over those bright colours since it appeared on the Winter Swap thread! :p

It looks so warm and cozy too!

Ah, thanks. It appears to be a popular FO. I've had people stop while I'm out and about to compliment it too. I'm not used to that!

Swan Maiden
January 14th, 2015, 09:26 PM
I love this thread, these are the most adorable pictures!!
Personally I've become a big fan of the head scarf!! In this pic it's not over a bun, but the great thing about a scarf is you can accommodate however much room you want and works perfectly over a bun! I almost never wear hats anymore :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14926&d=1419347438
I surprisingly find it as warm as a toque usually. Maybe when it gets down below -10 or -15 Celsius, I find I'd need a toque instead though

This is incredibly beautiful and that color compliments you. Did you make the scarf?

Adiro
January 14th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Kherome, I love ypur multicolour cowl! And I am totally with Rushii, loud is good!!!

Caraid, I do that too! We must live in similar climates, haha, my dh laughs of how I look, but I don't care better warm then cold and sick
and yes, your lacy scarf is very beautiful on you

Caraid♫
January 15th, 2015, 03:01 PM
This is incredibly beautiful and that color compliments you. Did you make the scarf?
thank you! no I didn't, my mom bought it for me as a gift :D

Kherome, I love ypur multicolour cowl! And I am totally with Rushii, loud is good!!!

Caraid, I do that too! We must live in similar climates, haha, my dh laughs of how I look, but I don't care better warm then cold and sick
and yes, your lacy scarf is very beautiful on you
Thanks!! Yes, (Ilive in Canada too) I used to care about it looking dorky, but it makes all the difference in this weather!

ashke50
January 15th, 2015, 03:02 PM
I have a woollen hat which is baggy enough to wear over most buns, which I wear when it is cold. It has a peak/visor, which is very useful for keeping wind and rain off my face.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15250&d=1421358822

I had a hairstick under there, which is slightly visible from the back, but not too bad.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15251&d=1421358825

When it is very windy I wear a scarf wrapped under the hat, to keep the wind off. Looks a bit odd, but keeps my ears warm!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15252&d=1421359105

Adiro
January 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM
You actually look very nice, Ashke! And what a lovely, lovely smile!

Komao
January 17th, 2015, 09:28 AM

Thanks. I started a thread last winter asking about favorite hats for long hair. This pattern looks real good & would certainly do the trick for me as I'm not TB length yet. Love to knit & crochet. :o

ashke50 like your hat with peak/visor. Looks good on you. :)

lillielil
October 5th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Winter is coming! Time to revive this thread!

I usually drape a wide scarf over my head and then wrap it around my neck to make a hood. However, I am now looking forward to my first winter in a very cold place, and am worried that I'll need something a little warmer and certainly more wind-proof. It looks like some of you have knitted fabulous hats, but if there are any other suggestions for good patterns, send them my way! I promised I'd knit a few sweaters for my kid first, but he's two so they're small and quick :)

Arctic
October 5th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I knitted a hat called Wurm, the pattern is free. It's slouchy and can easyly cover even a bigger buns! I didn't read this whole thread, so maybe it was already mentioned; it's very similar to the beehive pattern that was linked at the early pages.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wurm

Mine came so big and slouchy I am actually considering making a new one that would be a little bit shorter and less wide.

Seeshami
October 5th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Hat-eous is my winter hat. I love him dearly. He is giantus. A few other people have AspenSong made giantus hats and magical hat gifting went in the mail today for the next slightly suspecting victim.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/4cba7351-3346-4d52-93e2-01a72ccd74ce_zpsd5dwufmg.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/4cba7351-3346-4d52-93e2-01a72ccd74ce_zpsd5dwufmg.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/64f88e7c-3a6d-4e7d-a24c-d69a0f0bd314_zpstbgvwgsi.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/64f88e7c-3a6d-4e7d-a24c-d69a0f0bd314_zpstbgvwgsi.jpg.html)

giantus hats shall now be called Sneeds. Because I have always wanted hair stuff to be a sneed. Snoods use to be but it didn't fit. So a Sneed in a snuggly snood that every one needs.

Adiro
October 6th, 2015, 08:45 AM
OMG,my hats so pretty! Love your huge hat and the side bow, and i love the photo comp with the other hat wearer :)
Priceless expression in the second one , looks like your trying to blow up a ball ok ( or the hat :)

Seeshami
October 6th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I was testing beauty face setting on my camera to see if it would tell me that face isn't pretty and to smile. It didn't care that I look like a gumball chipmunk and took that wonderful "beauty" shot. 75% of my pictures are of me being stupid and 15% are nice. The other pecentage no one really knows what happened but yeeeeeaaaah those are horrible.

Lisa Long4Life
October 6th, 2015, 11:56 AM
This is my winter hat - I can't get much hair under it though! :o Also, when I'm carrying it sometimes people think I've killed my rabbit or something. (It's not real fur)

https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/1888603_10151976225958435_138444539_n.jpg?oh=17060 00b601802ebece199bb8af34455&oe=569E14C5&__gda__=1451800445_a8b65fdcdc8e0a376732880026c2cc5 d

I should look for something new this year.

MsPharaohMoan
October 7th, 2015, 10:12 AM
-cackles- Seeshami that first pic :lol:

AspenSong
October 7th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Haha, cute hats everyone!! I need to take some pics in my huge head eating hat I made myself!

Oooh and Paging PASTINA! I happen to know she has a huge winter hat now....muahahahaaaaa.

Seeshami
October 7th, 2015, 05:19 PM
That creepy thing is at Roosevelt Park in my town. I love making fun of it.

Dr. Technicolor Dream Buns to the thread please. Please Dr. Technicolor Dream Buns to the thread to show off your new Sneed. (The Snuggly Snood that everyone NEEDS)

pastina
October 7th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Internet is not cooperating! Pics to come, i promise!! <3

Here we go! Don't mind the get up I'm wearing or the goofy smile, lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/virgin4sale/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1psvule8.jpg

Seeshami
October 7th, 2015, 10:26 PM
You remind me of my sister! OMG we are sneed sisters!!!

AspenSong
October 7th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Sneed sisters....lol.
I'm a sneed supplier for pretty people. :)

Seeshami
October 7th, 2015, 10:35 PM
No you're a sneed provider for ME. :demon: Remember when I told you to forget about me telling you to make sneeds for a thing that everyone uses to exchange stuff for stuff that starts with an e and ends with sty because we need to tread carefully on this line in case..... so that only I would have access to sneeds? Because I am selfish and evil and the gaintus hats are all belong to me and the people I gift them to.....

Lisa Long4Life
October 8th, 2015, 12:37 PM
My mum says she'll knit me one if I find a pattern :) I don't think I'm really a hat person and I feel silly in them sometimes so I don't want anything that will make me look daft. :/

morrigan*
October 8th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I either wear calorimetry or slouchy beany. But i also tend to mostly use flexis or ficcares in winter. It happened that i lose a fork that slipped out, so i rather not have that happen again.

Zesty
October 8th, 2015, 07:50 PM
I've been interested in a satin lined beanie from Shepiji on Etsy for like... 2 years now... This one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/167406699/the-bees-knees-shepiji-beanie?ref=shop_home_active_1) looks like it would hold its shape the best; do you think I could wear it over an updo? I really need a better solution for winter, since I've been using an ear warmer thing that has a velcro (yikes!) closure and leaves marks on my forehead.

Or if anyone has another suggestion, I'm all ears. I just liked the idea of the satin lining. :)

PalomaSincera
October 8th, 2015, 11:52 PM
i look very ugly with a hat over my bun :(

Silver Strands
October 9th, 2015, 05:10 AM
This is my winter hat - I can't get much hair under it though! :o Also, when I'm carrying it sometimes people think I've killed my rabbit or something. (It's not real fur)

https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/1888603_10151976225958435_138444539_n.jpg?oh=17060 00b601802ebece199bb8af34455&oe=569E14C5&__gda__=1451800445_a8b65fdcdc8e0a376732880026c2cc5 d

I should look for something new this year.

Ooh Lisa, I love this! It reminds me of a Russian hat and it also reminds me of owl feathers. So beautiful!
Was it made for you and if so, would you happen to know what kind of fabric/yarn that is?

Great hats everyone. I have bookmarked a few patterns.

Lisa Long4Life
October 9th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Ooh Lisa, I love this! It reminds me of a Russian hat and it also reminds me of owl feathers. So beautiful!
Was it made for you and if so, would you happen to know what kind of fabric/yarn that is?

Great hats everyone. I have bookmarked a few patterns.

Thanks. People do say it's very Dr Zhivago, it's faux fur with a satin lining. It was just from a high street shop (Next iirc), I like it because it's quite glamorous :D

Zesty
October 9th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Just bought a winter hat that's supposed to be roomy enough to fit hair stick/fork buns, will report back in late October(ish) when I receive it!

Silver Strands
October 9th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Yes. Very Dr. Zhivago.
I will have to go on Ravelry and search for something similar.
Thanks for the info!

Adiro
October 9th, 2015, 04:22 PM
LisaLong4life, you look so happy and cosmopolitan! I did think you must be in Siberia or something until I saw the statue behind :)

Pastina, you are adorable, there's a great mix of cute and funky there... Love the hat!
Wish I could knit myself....

AspenSong
October 9th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Here's a giant hat I just made myself. My eye looks weird...reflections....I don't have a wonky eye. lol.
http://i61.tinypic.com/153up3c.jpg

Seeshami
October 9th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Pastina, you are adorable, there's a great mix of cute and funky there... Love the hat!
Wish I could knit myself....
It's a Sneed. AspenSong crocheted it.

Here's a giant hat I just made myself. My eye looks weird...reflections....I don't have a wonky eye. lol.
http://i61.tinypic.com/153up3c.jpg
It's a Sneed and you know better than to call it a hat. Sneeds will be a thing. I AM TELLING YOU THEY WILL BE A THING:rollin:

omega
October 9th, 2015, 11:58 PM
These hats are inspiring. Time to pull out the knitting paraphernalia again.

Adiro
October 10th, 2015, 12:01 AM
OMG, Aspensomg, that is SO beautiful. and cute. and adorable. and a perfect color....I LOVE everything about it!!!!!!! ( though i loved Seeshami's hat just as much, but that one is somehow more ritzy and lady like)

AspenSong
October 10th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Awww, thank you Adiro! Ya know, if you'd like your own huge hat/sneed, let me know! I'll make you one. :)

Lisa Long4Life
October 10th, 2015, 06:46 AM
LisaLong4life, you look so happy and cosmopolitan! I did think you must be in Siberia or something until I saw the statue behind :)

Thank you, it was a happy holiday. My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to New York last February.
Thought he was going to pop the question but it didn't happen :P

truepeacenik
October 10th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Hat-eous is my winter hat. I love him dearly. He is giantus. A few other people have AspenSong made giantus hats and magical hat gifting went in the mail today for the next slightly suspecting victim.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/4cba7351-3346-4d52-93e2-01a72ccd74ce_zpsd5dwufmg.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/4cba7351-3346-4d52-93e2-01a72ccd74ce_zpsd5dwufmg.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/64f88e7c-3a6d-4e7d-a24c-d69a0f0bd314_zpstbgvwgsi.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/64f88e7c-3a6d-4e7d-a24c-d69a0f0bd314_zpstbgvwgsi.jpg.html)

giantus hats shall now be called Sneeds. Because I have always wanted hair stuff to be a sneed. Snoods use to be but it didn't fit. So a Sneed in a snuggly snood that every one needs.

I'm one of the "victims."
I actually bought a blue underlayer that matches.
My sticks are limelight hogs and still poke through, but I'm learning to do it artfully, not haphazardly.
It even got use last week in Colorado during a night hike in Golden.
Alas, now I need to name it.
Aspen Song does great work!

Kitsunesunset
October 10th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I know this is technically cheating but because I look like crud with my hair up in a hat, these are the pictures I will post of them. They both cover my bunned hair be it with a fork or a stick.

This one here is my absolute favorite and most comfy hat I have ever knitted or placed on my head. The colors aren't shown well here but it's got a multitude of colors in it and it's meant to go with anything else I've knit that I want to wear. And it's HUGE which I wasn't able to capture here either.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/Kitsunesunset/F99D5B0E-AFE1-48B6-8F7D-0BC1D7D642FE.jpg (http://s631.photobucket.com/user/Kitsunesunset/media/F99D5B0E-AFE1-48B6-8F7D-0BC1D7D642FE.jpg.html)

And this one here I recently knitted just for the heck of it. I wanted to try the yarn and actually haven't been able to wear it out of the house yet.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/Kitsunesunset/B51421BF-1EC9-4346-BE24-1BC063CBEF78.jpg (http://s631.photobucket.com/user/Kitsunesunset/media/B51421BF-1EC9-4346-BE24-1BC063CBEF78.jpg.html)

And then I also have a few Calorimetry and cabled headbands and the like packed away. If anybody wants to know the names of the patterns just let me know.

Seeshami
October 11th, 2015, 10:55 AM
OMG, Aspensomg, that is SO beautiful. and cute. and adorable. and a perfect color....I LOVE everything about it!!!!!!! ( though i loved Seeshami's hat just as much, but that one is somehow more ritzy and lady like)
Because mine has a bat bow and hers has a flower. Mine is probably also bigger and more ridiculous because that's how I live my life.

I'm one of the "victims."
I actually bought a blue underlayer that matches.
My sticks are limelight hogs and still poke through, but I'm learning to do it artfully, not haphazardly.
It even got use last week in Colorado during a night hike in Golden.
Alas, now I need to name it.
Aspen Song does great work!
I keep telling her the Sneed will be a thing. And she thinks I am crazy and the extra giantus hats are not desired by the long hair public. Put them in the thing that exchanges the stuff for the stuff I says. Nooooooo one wants them she says. She will learn. She wiiiilll learn.

Adiro
October 14th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Are you serious!?!
I would Love one!
I can pay with money air hair toys ! :) ( and hope that I'm gonna look as cute as you do!)
Awww, thank you Adiro! Ya know, if you'd like your own huge hat/sneed, let me know! I'll make you one. :)

Adiro
October 14th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Kitsunesunset, love your hat too, and all the shimmery colors in it!

Kitsunesunset
October 14th, 2015, 01:32 AM
Thank you, Adiro. I would also be willing to make you one if you'd ever want, but AspenSong-made sneeds seem to be much larger than I've ever made!! :-)

Greys0n
October 14th, 2015, 01:35 AM
oh I hate hats(

AspenSong
October 14th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Are you serious!?!
I would Love one!
I can pay with money air hair toys ! :) ( and hope that I'm gonna look as cute as you do!)

Haha, yes I was serious! Apparently Seeshami is going to make me make "Sneeds" to sell. lol. I'm going to dig through my yarn stash and see what I've got and I'll pull out what I currently have and send you a pic later....see if you see anything you like. :) I need to do it anyway because I told Rags I'd look for some and make her one, too. :) And I'm sure you'll look CUTER! lol.

Thank you, Adiro. I would also be willing to make you one if you'd ever want, but AspenSong-made sneeds seem to be much larger than I've ever made!! :-)

Aw, you're so sweet! My hats are ridiculous. lol. I always made my hats more slouchy, but as I grew my hair and after I made Seeshamis first one, I just started making them huge because I hate having smooshed hat hair and didn't like that bump from my bun....haha, so silly huge was apparently the middle ground. lol.

Seeshami
October 14th, 2015, 10:07 AM
It's a sneed not a hat. It is a snuggly snood everyone needs. And I TOLD YOU TO MAKE THEM for the thing that we should probably not talk about much more to behave and follow rules and stuff.

Adiro
October 14th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Aspensong , you are awesome!!!

Kitsunesunset thank you for the offer, I will stcik with Aspensong for now :) my hair bun is pretty huge....

Crystawni
October 16th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! I must be mad. :wigtongue I snagged a winter hat :happydance: even though I live in perpetual summer, and it's Spring (not Fall) here at the moment, so the real heat's a comin'. :rolleyes: I blame Adi and her Iwannahave hat so beautifully modelled here:

https://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg.html)URL=http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg.html]https://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg[/URL]

I was soooo taken by it when she first posted, I have been hunting for something of my own ever since. Sooooo, what did I get? This (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/247400751/cream-sun-visor-knit-visor-headband?show_sold_out_detail=1). At least it has ventilation..? :p But while I was there, I also fell hard for this (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/248499158/mercury-cloche-faded-black-hat-with?show_sold_out_detail=1). At least they can be travel buddies? :disgust: I'll post pics when they arrive (gah, I hope it's a cool day on the mountain that day...), but just know, I don't blame Adi alone. I actually blame all of you and your awesome winter hats, and SNEEDS! You're good. Very good. *whimper*

cat11
October 16th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I want a Sneed!! I barely ever wear my beanies any more due to bun head and friction anxiety -_- which is a shame cause I have a number of them I really like.

Zesty
October 20th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Not to break up the sneed love, but I got my hat. The LWB that went under the hat, and then the hat:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/Paisley_Love/winter%20hat_zpskslzkrox.jpg

Still experimenting with ways to put it on without upsetting my updo. It's satin lined, and I think turning it inside out is working best. (If I were wearing it out I would also tuck away those pesky nape wispies.)

Anje
October 20th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I have a winter hat with earflaps, that connect under my chin, sort of like this one http://bin.snmmd.nl/m/m1fy1gvw5nww.jpg

I wear one like this too. A cinnabun with pins fits under it for me if I am careful to make as flat as possible.

Reviving some ancient posts... Kherome, where did you get your bomber hat? I've looked at Fleet Farm in Appleton, but I can't even get the ones they carry onto my head with my hair loose.

Crystawni
November 15th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! I must be mad. :wigtongue I snagged a winter hat :happydance: even though I live in perpetual summer, and it's Spring (not Fall) here at the moment, so the real heat's a comin'. :rolleyes: I blame Adi and her Iwannahave hat so beautifully modelled here:

in this photo, I had a flexi 8 to hold the bun, When I wear sticks, I look a little like I have cat's ears under the hat
https://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-13-25.jpg.html)URL=http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Adiro13/media/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg.html]https://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2014-12-12at12-11-401.jpg[/URL]

I was soooo taken by it when she first posted, I have been hunting for something of my own ever since. Sooooo, what did I get? This (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/247400751/cream-sun-visor-knit-visor-headband?show_sold_out_detail=1). At least it has ventilation..? :p But while I was there, I also fell hard for this (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/248499158/mercury-cloche-faded-black-hat-with?show_sold_out_detail=1). At least they can be travel buddies? :disgust: I'll post pics when they arrive (gah, I hope it's a cool day on the mountain that day...), but just know, I don't blame Adi alone. I actually blame all of you and your awesome winter hats, and SNEEDS! You're good. Very good. *whimper*

And after a month is transit, I haz new head boilers. It's been a drippy hot wet day of 33C, so of course I had to model these for you... First up, my ear-hotterating visor (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/247400751/cream-sun-visor-knit-visor-headband?show_sold_out_detail=1) that was inspired by Adi's pics. The sun was nice enough to go and hide behind some clouds so I could drip in the shade...

https://i.imgur.com/qwmKH2e.jpg

But of course when I went to take pics of the heavier, winterier cloche (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/248499158/mercury-cloche-faded-black-hat-with?show_sold_out_detail=1) that I can happily stuff all my hair in, the sun blasted me and made for a very hot shoot.

https://i.imgur.com/IsNNJHk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XNMS6Ss.jpg

Come winter in another half a year, I think these will be great. I already know they keep mah head awfully warm... And because I'm such a glutton for punishment, I'll be getting some Aspensneeds one of these days, too..!

I think I'll go pass out soon as Zesty and Kitsunesunset's "cool" hats are making me overheat!

hennalonghair
November 15th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Oh you have the cutest hats and one of alpensongs sneeds will look great on you.
Nice needlework.

Adiro
November 15th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Oh, Crystawni, you are so cute! I am so sorry I didn't even notice your previous post.... Wow, the white one is very similar effect to my hat, just that mine is a true winter hat, really warm and lined inside too....
I love the navy one, being that the colors are different I am not sure if I am looking at three different hats on the bottom row...the last picture is awefully funny, you with the big winter hat and dressed in that itsybitsy top:)

( and on a side note, I would take 33c any day over the weather here.... I think I was an iguana in another life, I need sun to warm up, can't keep my temperature decent in any degree of cold...)

Adiro
November 15th, 2015, 11:56 PM
About the sneed from Aspensong, I OWE you guys pictures and words... So sorry I haven't been able to photograph mine yet... I did wear it, but mostly at night when it's really cold, so I didn't take pics yet... It's adorable of course and I love it!
The weave is quite open so it's not really for the coldest Canadian cold, but just fine for this weather....

Crystawni, you could ask Aspensong to find you a thinner yarn, so that it's not too hot of a hat....

Crystawni
November 16th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Ta HLH and Adi! :blossom:

Adi, I had to crop the pics in their own scarf-like way because there was NO WAY I was going to wear a scarf like yours as well! :p The last three have an indoor shot to start, then the bright sun took over (best colour-match is the last one). And yup, my strappy dress kinda gives away how hot it is! We had storms last night, and there are more forming again. I've got a buttload of flying ant wings still floating around that were shed after they swarmed the doors and windows during last night's storm. This warmer weather has its weird (and messy) side.

And yup, AspenSong and I had a brief chat about more tropic-friendly yarns, but I think it will get cool enough up here in the mountain for the sneeds. We have an open wood fireplace in our kitchen bench which kinda gives away the impending chill factor, but if they are too warm, I'll go the thinner yarn/open weave route and gift the others to my daughter who lives in a cooler climate.

TayDragonis
November 16th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Not to break up the sneed love, but I got my hat. The LWB that went under the hat, and then the hat:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/Paisley_Love/winter%20hat_zpskslzkrox.jpg

Still experimenting with ways to put it on without upsetting my updo. It's satin lined, and I think turning it inside out is working best. (If I were wearing it out I would also tuck away those pesky nape wispies.)

You look so cute with that hat!! I'm new to knitting and I'd love to try and knit my own hat as I'm bored of knitting nothing but scarves >.<, my hair isn't any great length so I think pretty much anything will go. I love some of the berets out there or cloche hats.

Adiro
November 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM
This is my new winter hat made by AJEnOfAllTrades, aka Aspensong :)

It's actually called a " sneed " :)

I posted more pictures in the thread where it belongs, but here tehre are some pictures too

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/e4aff75136d02a5fbd8351a370622d0f.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/8d302c5de745f6bdb85ae3d511816c4c.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/2c2f6c936826b20da10672574090a29e.jpg

two_wheels
November 18th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Whoa Adiro, you are strikingly and uniquely gorgeous! I love the sneed.

Stormynights
November 18th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I always swore I was not going to be one of those old ladies wearing stupid looking winter hats. Now I am so paranoid that I will look stupid in a hat I just wear ear muffs. You young girls look cute in anything.

Groovy Granny
November 18th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I always swore I was not going to be one of those old ladies wearing stupid looking winter hats. Now I am so paranoid that I will look stupid in a hat I just wear ear muffs. You young girls look cute in anything.

LOL I do (and think) the same thing; either a hood or ear muffs :o

However I did make myself a hat last year for walking/snowshoeing and love it!
It covers my ears but is loose enough to adjust my hair in the style I want.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/Ravelry/th_hat_zpsr60hw6sr.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/grichardocds/media/Ravelry/hat_zpsr60hw6sr.jpg.html)

I just need to dig it out,bun my hair, and get a pic wearing it :wink:

Zesty
November 18th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I just need to dig it out,bun my hair, and get a pic wearing it :wink:
Do it! :popcorn:

Groovy Granny
November 18th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Do it! :popcorn:

I will...soon lol