PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to grow hair thicker?

cdonald2
January 6th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I have baby fine hair. i know it will never be super thick and coarse. But is it possible to achieve somewhat thicker hair as it grows longer? Ive heard stylists say its impossible, but they also say its impossible to speed up growth... which i have successfully done. Anyone with experience on this?

sabrinaclrke
January 6th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I think some people have reported using henna to thicken their hair, but don't quote me on that!

cdonald2
January 6th, 2014, 11:27 PM
i used henna before myself. It did look and feel thicker but it also felt coarse afterward. I worry that it maybe dried it out. not only that but it prevents you from getting any kind of hilights which i plan on doing when i reach my goal length (about 10-12 more inches on the sides and 15-20 in the back)

AmyBeth
January 7th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Your question is a bit ambiguous- I don't believe you can increase the number of follicles, and I don't think you can make the follicles you have produce hair that is much thicker. With that said, I can tell you that in the 2 years since I joined LHC, and began following the hair care practices I learned here, my pony tail has got to be at least twice as thick. I can see on my braid that the top 6 inches is twice as thick as the bottom, which grew before I joined. My hair care practices were those conventional practices, ie sulfate shampoo twice a week, blow dry, chemical dyes, highlights, alcohol based sprays and gels. Wore it down all the time. You know the drill. My pony was already thickening before I started using henna, thickening enough that family members noticed! Then when I started using henna, it thickened up even more. I have enough grey that the contrast between my natural brown and natural greys covered with henna look like highlights, so I don't even miss getting highlights. I think the people with the finest hair notice the thickening effects of henna more than those whose hair is already nice and thick. If you protect your new growth, you will most likely notice a thicker pony tail in about 6 months. Keep reading and keep trying new methods of protecting the hair you have. I love to read all the stories around here from people who have really improved their hair.

cdonald2
January 7th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Thats exactly what i mean :) i figured follicle increase was impossible, but ive heard noises about ponytails getting thicker from hair care practices, but specifically, i dont know which ones. 50% of the time my hair is in a satin bonnet, and the other 50 its usually up in a scrunchie in a bun (its only shoulder length right now.) I wash maybe 3x a week and condition every day. If theres any more suggestions please let me know :)

- also, im taking prenatal,m fishoil and biotin. any other supplements suggested would be extremely helpful

Yozhik
January 7th, 2014, 12:11 AM
It sounds like you're off to a good start. :)

My thickness increased by about .25-.5" thanks to what I call LHC haircare: satin pillowcase, sleep bonnet, gentle detangling with wide tooth comb, oiling, bunning/braiding, and stretching washes.

AmyBeth
January 7th, 2014, 12:44 AM
It's hard to pinpoint any one or two techniques that helped increase thickness. You have got to protect what you have, so it doesn't break off and defeat the purpose of anything else you may try. I tried many different things that I learned. I really think that daily scalp massage helps to make hair grow faster, so you can realize more gains in length and thickness. I've used monistat, satin sleep caps and pillowcases, and protective updos, and I think these have helped the most. Treating your hair like a piece of antique lace! Over a period of time, you'll notice a difference.

Cederin
January 7th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Proper hair care, CO-washing, scalp massage, deep treatments like SMT and such helped my hair to at least feel thicker, I have found out that my hair has more 'body' after I started my gentle routines!

cdonald2
January 7th, 2014, 03:00 AM
thankyou all so much for the wonderful responses :) i recently heard something about green tea on the scalp too... anyone tried this?

Firefox7275
January 7th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Individual hairs may feel more substantial and there may be more overall volume when using hydrolysed protein. This also helps wih strength but don't overuse as build up can be drying. Silicones tend to make hair sleeker which can make it seem thinner.

You *may* be able to speed growth and/ or increase the number of hairs on your head slightly with scalp massage and regular physical activity to boost blood flow. The obvious partner is a balanced nutrient dense diet.

jeanniet
January 7th, 2014, 11:09 AM
If you have less breakage, your hair will achieve its maximum thickness, although the strands and number of follicles will remain constant. So taking better care of your hair and causing less damage will help your hair to reach its best potential.

It's always best to focus on having an optimum diet rather than supplements, because whole foods have far more nutrients than any supplement.

cdonald2
January 7th, 2014, 03:02 PM
WHere would i get hydrolised protein? ive never heard of it before.

YamaMaya
January 7th, 2014, 03:31 PM
You can't change the overall follicles on your head, but you can optimize your potential hair growth with the right diet and hair care practices.

Anje
January 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM
From what I've seen, a lot of LHCers report a modest increase in ponytail circumference with time spent here and just generally improved haircare practices. I don't think it's an increase in coarseness or follicle multiplication, obviously, but it seems like messing with your wash methods and more careful handling can mean that more hairs grow further without breaking, and perhaps that the hairs don't taper as much due to wear and tear.

There are some products and wash methods that can make hair more voluminous, at least for a while. For those who want red-orange tones in their hair, henna does this. Senna does too, adding some gold tones. A number of people find that some alternative washing methods, such as using soap-based shampoo bars can also increase their hair's volume. Obviously, with all of these you need to take into account what you want with your hair -- obviously if you don't want a color change or if your scalp rebels against the different way of washing, they might not be good options for you.

ETA

WHere would i get hydrolised protein? ive never heard of it before.
You'll likely find it in some haircare products. Hydrolyzed wheat protein is quite a common component in many conditioners. As with all things, you'll need to assess whether it works for you, not just whether it should work. My hair doesn't tolerate protein well at all, but many other fine-haired folks love it.

swearnsue
January 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
My hair went from so fine that each strand was invisible to a fine that is almost a medium. I've made a lot of changes but I think what helped my hair become less fine is I massage castor oil into my scalp about once a month.

Castor oil also made my eyebrows fill in. I had a small bald area on my left eyebrow that I had to pencil in but after using castor oil on it every night for a few weeks, it just filled in.

Just my experience, others may not get this result.

Zebra Fish
January 8th, 2014, 04:29 AM
In the last 6-9 months (not sure exactly when I measured) my ponytail circumference increased for 0,5 cm (my hair is really fine). So I'd say with good treatment you can get it thicker, but its not like you get more hairs, its coz of less damage and breaking. You just need to find what works for your hair. I tried castor oil massage (and CO wash to get it out coz it was easier than shampoo it out) but I got flakes (never had them before, and gone when stopped CO washing and oil) - so for me that didn't work out, but as swearnsue said, for her did. So I guess, you just need to find out what works for your hair and scalp, and ofc, patience to see the results :)

Angelica
January 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'd say no, unless your hair is thin from damage etc. If it is fine and thin owing to genes, there is nothing you can do except look after what you have. Interesting to hear about the castor oil though swearnsue, I shall try that. I have terrible eyebrows from over plucking! :)

meteor
January 8th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Well, there are already lots of excellent replies on this thread. Focus on reducing mechanical, chemical and heat damage, and this will optimize hair thickness due to reduction in breakage. For individual hair strand thickness, use hydrolyzed proteins, cassia/senna, henna (only if the color commitment is acceptable), some herbs. For lengthening the growth phase of hair follicles and stimulating growth, nutrient-dense whole foods diet, head massage and even some essential oils, herbs, sulphur can help, even though solid research is still lacking.

Here is quite an inspirational thread for you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118382
Apparently, many people grew a halo of new hairs and bangs since starting with LHC hair-friendly practices. :)