PDA

View Full Version : 'sticky' hair?!? My hair has gone crazy-help!

thistledown
January 6th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Hi all :)I've really never had huge issue with my hair, I washed it every 3-4 days with John Frieda sheer blonde for darker blondes shape and conditioner (I'm blonette), combed it once dry with a wide tooth comb and kept it either braided or up in a ficcare, it was always silky soft (glassy my hair dresser called it) the worst it did was frizz a bit when I combed out my braid waves. Then I dyed it red for a while.....same deal only I used red shampoo...hair seemed happy enough, I dyed it about 4 times and then dyed it back as close as I could get to natural. I dip dyed the ends and then cut them off, I haven't dyed it for about 3 or so months now and I don't plan too. Just these last few weeks my hair has gone crazy! It's crackly, splitting like crazy and super fluffy. I tried to use a deep conditioner on it and even though I rinsed carefully my hair once dried is now sort of 'sticky', what could be causing this? What should I be doing to try and help my hair? Product recommendations? I've been looking at this website: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com.au/p/product-list-by-category.html I'm thinking of trying the Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture if I can find it.I just want m

Kherome
January 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Have you clarified? I recommend a chelating shampoo.

Anje
January 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Sounds exactly how I'd describe my hair when I got a massive protein overload from Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner (yeah, my hair's a wee bit protein sensitive!).

Check your products, especially leave-ins and conditioners, for anything that says __ protein, hydrolyzed ___, ___ amino acids, collagen, and/or keratin. (ETA: I'm willing to bet you've got a fairly new product that you've not been using long, which has at least one of these high in the ingredients list, or a change in formulation.) Set all those products aside for a while. Now clarify and do some deep conditioning with protein-free products. What worked for me was daily SMTs for something like a week, but I noticed a substantial improvement after even the first SMT.

Hope that helps and that it fixes it!

Firefox7275
January 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM
If your hair is dye damaged it will be more porous and weaker than before, your old routine may not be enough or may even be adding to the damage. On top of this you may be in a different season so different dew points/ humidity. Most commercial intensive conditioners do little to improve the strength or health of hair, the benefit is cosmetic only.

Definitely clarify and chelate then use scientifically proven ingredients: coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. If you have tangling issues by all means also use silicones. Avoid alkaline soaps and anionic surfactants. Many colour shampoos are far from gentle, they aim to strip away dulling deposits.

thistledown
January 6th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Okay a bit embarrassing but what should be clarifying and chelating with? Product recommendations? I'm planning on getting some new stuff for my next wash, sticky hair is the worst!
Vanessa

thistledown
January 6th, 2014, 09:24 PM
How about this one: http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/moroccanoil/moroccanoil-clarifying-shampoo-250ml.html
it's a bit more spendy then I like but I've heard good things about the brand and I've been thinking about trying it anyhow :) Should I try their moisturising treatments? Are they good? I'm just about to check if they contain protein or not...
Vanessa

Nini
January 7th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Whenever I need to clarify I just use a lot of regular shampoo with SLS, that does the trick for me. I lather up twice, and make sure I get it all over my length.

Anje
January 7th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Wish I could recommend products for you, but being on a different continent, what's available is probably too different.

meteor
January 7th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I think you applied something in your deep conditioning treatment that your hair didn't like, so it's sticky.
I agree that it's probably enough to clarify to remove the build-up: either use your John Frieda Blonde shampoo (it's pretty harsh), or use some other SLS/SLES shampoo you like. Follow up with an acidic rinse (heavily diluted vinegar / lemon juice). You might try a club soda to lightly chelate, I don't think you need to buy a whole bottle of chelating shampoo, unless you swim regularly.

You probably need to find new routine and products for your hair as it's not the same as it was when it was virgin.
This article is very useful to understand which conditioning ingredients adsorb to virgin and damaged hair and how much time is needed for optimal adsorption. Look for these penetrating ingredients in conditioners for your hair:
"Natural Hair - No Processing
-water
-hydrolysed wheat protein
-coconut oil
-cetrimonium bromide
-caffeine
-panthenol

Bleached Hair, Relaxed Hair or Damaged Hair (i.e cuticle damage)
- everything in the unprocessed natural hair list above
-some amino acids enhanced by being in a creamy conditioner (arginine, glycine, glutamic acid, phenylalanine, histidine)
-artificial peptides (similar to hydrolysed protein)
-some silicones or amodimethicones (Trimethylsilylamodimethicone)
-hydrolysed palm oil
-18MEA"
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-what-ingredients-in.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-everything-you-need.html

I really recommend oiling ends for porous, processed/damaged, dry hair. Especially pre-wash.

spidermom
January 7th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Try a clarifying shampoo. VO5 kiwi lime does a good job of removing residue, and it doesn't cost much.

thistledown
January 7th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Alright I have found the problem.......the deep conditioner had wheat protein in it. Hair no like. I've tossed it :) I picked up some pantene clarify shampoo today and a bottle of the tresemme silicone free conditioner (I think my hair likes silicone but as I'm changing up my whole routine I thought I'd give it a try....it was $6!). I'll probably rewash it today even though it's a bit early I can't deal with the stickiness any longer :slap: I've also ordered the Moroccanoil clarify shampoo, hydrate conditioner and light oil to try out-I've heard good things but time will tell. I'll clarify at least once a month now, I don't think I need to chelate after reading a bit, I don't swim and we have rain water.
@ Meteor as a prewash I just rub through the ends and then wash out in the shower? Do you have to use shampoo to get it out? I only do my scalp with shampoo usually. What oil would be best? I have almond, coconut and jojoba.
Vanessa

thistledown
January 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Well I washed it with the clarifying shampoo and used the tresemme conditioner......it's better the top is silky soft and shiny....from the ears down it's still a bit sticky and stringy! I guess I should wash it again? And maybe use a conditioner with cones as my hair seems to like them?
Vanessa

meteor
January 9th, 2014, 05:09 PM
@ Meteor as a prewash I just rub through the ends and then wash out in the shower? Do you have to use shampoo to get it out? I only do my scalp with shampoo usually. What oil would be best? I have almond, coconut and jojoba.
Vanessa
For pre-wash oiling, yes, you are right, focus on the ends. You probably don't need much - start with just a tablespoon or two. Shampoos and conditioners wash out oils easily, unless you apply tons. I recommend oiling hours before you wash (maybe overnight) and donning a plastic cap for a while to trap some of your body heat, as oils take a while to penetrate and are runnier when warm. Coconut oil would be my preference for pre-poo, as it is penetrative and protects hair keratin from depletion during a wash. Almond and jojoba are better as "sealing" post-wash options.

I'm glad your hair is doing better. If your ends are still sticky/stringy, there's still some build-up, so try to use lighter conditioner next time or maybe apply less conditioner during your next clarifying wash.

thistledown
January 10th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Alright I'll try that with coconut oil at some point :)
Vanessa

Berlie
January 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Try this YouTube channel...beautyklove...she has the best videos for long hair care and gives tons of DIY recipes for hair masks. My personal favourite though is pure organic coconut oil....applied to dry, not wet hair. Put enough on to saturate your hair, comb through and throw on a plastic shower cap. Then wrap your head with a towel turban and leave on for about an hour. Rinse off and then, I cleanse with Chaz Dean's Cleansing Conditioner, Wen. I do this routine once a week, I love it! The Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner is key here....to say it is WONDERFUL is an understatement!!! You may want to try the Fig Scent. I use the Lavender. I buy it from QVC. You can thank me later :)

Firefox7275
January 11th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Both coconut and almond oils should be penetrating (rich in lauric and oleic acids respectively). Research is overnight to twenty four hours on dry hair then washed out with a sulphate shampoo, tho many of us find it easier to conditioner only wash out the excess.

I don't recommend mucking about with treatments until you have resolved the build up issue.

Berlie
January 11th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Have you tried a good old fashioned apple cider vinegar rinse? Once a week, after shampooing while hair is soaking wet. 2 tablespoons asv in one cup of water. Pour over head, let sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse. Its a remarkable clarifier, softener, conditioner and shine booster!

thistledown
January 11th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the tips re the coconut oil! I'm going to stick some on my hair Monday morning and leave all day before I was in the night :) The second wash has done the trick re being sticky, thank goodness! My hair isn't great yet but it's sure looking better :)
Vanessa

Berlie
January 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Glad you're going to give it a try! Let us know how it works out for you:)