PDA

View Full Version : any fellow lifters out there?

bryana
January 6th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Are they any fellow lifters out there (people who heavy weights as part of their normal workout routine)? How do you deal with callus' and them getting caught in your long hair? Finger combing is becoming a catching and tearing nightmare! Please help! :-)

Firefox7275
January 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Padded weight lifting gloves, good handcare (avoid sulphate surfactants, soften and exfoliate with urea etc).

Night_Kitten
January 6th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I'm not a lifter, so no personal experience, but could wearing satin gloves while finger-combing help?

BlueMajorelle
January 6th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Definitely exfoliate your hands and keep them moisturized. I use Mary Kay's satin hands kit, it's a bit pricey but lasts a long time and I find it works well.

dulce
January 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
A pumice stone daily used on wet hands might help,that's what I use after my am shower each day on my still wet,warm feet[works better than on dry feet]

Ksears4
January 6th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Get lifting gloves!!!! They also protect your wrists. Try a braid for lifting or a braided bun perhaps.

GoddesJourney
January 6th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Lifting gloves and pumice in the shower.

heartgoesboom
January 6th, 2014, 10:32 AM
ooh I haven't thought of that. my calluses haven't been that bad yet. But I stopped wearing gloves coz it interferes with my grip. I have small hands. but as long as I'm well moisturized in my hands, they don't bother me.

Crumpet
January 6th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I have guitarist fingers and can't get rid of the callouses because it would impact my playing. I just use oils on my finger nails and the calouses and they're soft.

bryana
January 6th, 2014, 11:06 AM
i don't wear gloves either. my trainer said the same thing- it interferes with your grip. I'll have to try the pumice - thanks dulse and goddesjourney. BlueMajorelle, I'll have to check out Mary Kay again -- I used to use Satin Hands back in the day but haven't purchased in a long time. I just might have to revisit! Thank you all, I appreciate all of the tips and advice!

OurAtronach
January 6th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I don't know what exercise is giving you callus, but I discovered deadlifting shouldn't give you any if your grip is correct. Just tossing that out there.

Kelikea
January 6th, 2014, 07:03 PM
When I was in gymnastics, I used to cover my hands in lanolin and wear socks on them to bed. I had much worse calluses then than now, but am getting them again now from lifting. I just try to moisturize often and maybe put a bit of coconut oil on my hands just prior to finger combing.