PDA

View Full Version : Help with hair!

Blackwillows
January 6th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Hi people
My hair is always poofy and frizzy. It feels smooth but not soft, if it makes sense. I am currently using a sulfate-free organic keratin shampoo, and conditioning with a cone-free conditioner. After which, I would use coconut oil. I would do deep conditioning once a week. Also, I use a wide tooth comb to comb my hair only when applying the oil. I seldom use hair dryer and even so I will on the diffuser. I have tried frizz-control products BUT THEY DONT WORK. HELP PLEASE I want soft, silky, frizz-free hair.
Ps: I have rebounded 2years ago but chopped off all the rebounded hair. Also, I just dyed my hair recently. But even before the dye my hair has been this way.
pps I just chopped off 2 inches of my hair yesterday.

So does anyone know what can I do to attain better hair...? I am tired of people constantly asking if I want to rebond my hair....

Thank you:)

I can't post the picture idk why but here's the pic of my horrible hair...
http://www.naturallycurly.com/questions/935/can-anyone-tell-me-exactly-whats-wrong-with-my-hair-and-how-do-i-solve-it-

Johannah
January 6th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Ever tried to clarify? Sounds like build-up to me.

Blackwillows
January 6th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Ever tried to clarify? Sounds like build-up to me.

Not yet. Which brand would you recommend?

Johannah
January 6th, 2014, 06:44 AM
There aren't special clarifying shampoo's in the country where I live, so I can't help you with that.

Personally, I just use a shampoo with SLS but without cones. Works great for me when I have build-up. :)

Aingeal
January 6th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I was also thinking a clarify with an acv rinse might help. I use an sls poo, then condition with a cone free conditioner, then do an acv rinse. It does wonders.

Blackwillows
January 6th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Thank you so much :) I will try to find the shampoo and buy acv ASAP! Can I apply products on my hair (like oil) after the wash? If so,cany recommendations?

Johannah
January 6th, 2014, 07:06 AM
You can use oils whenever you want, just make sure you clarify when needed.

lapushka
January 6th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Do you have naturally straight hair, or curly hair that has been relaxed in some way?

Firefox7275
January 6th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Frizz is either badly damaged hair or hidden wave. People with straight hair don't need to do rebonding so my money is on hidden waves, stop fighting your naturally beautiful texture and work with it. Try the Curly Girl method.

Clarifying and cheating are always worth a try: also do not overuse hydrolysed proteins, they can build up and cause poufy hair. Few need protein in their shampoo since we primarily shampoo healthy virgin roots.

Blackwillows
January 6th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Do you have naturally straight hair, or curly hair that has been relaxed in some way?

Well I think my hair isn't considered straight, but it's only slightly wavy.

Frizz is either badly damaged hair or hidden wave. People with straight hair don't need to do rebonding so my money is on hidden waves, stop fighting your naturally beautiful texture and work with it. Try the Curly Girl method.

Clarifying and cheating are always worth a try: also do not overuse hydrolysed proteins, they can build up and cause poufy hair. Few need protein in their shampoo since we primarily shampoo healthy virgin roots.

Well I tried co-washing but my scalp became really oily. >< should I try to use shampoo for curly hair?

lapushka
January 6th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Well I tried co-washing but my scalp became really oily. >< should I try to use shampoo for curly hair?

Just use a regular sulfate shampoo (but moisturize well after), or a non-sulfate shampoo. Both are great, depending on what you want and what your hair/scalp reacts best too.

No one can recommend specifics for you. You're going to have to experiment a bit.

What do you consider slightly wavy? Is there a possibility for you to wash, condition your hair and leave it alone afterwards, then take a picture and let us see what your natural texture is so we could maybe hairtype you. It will help you with routine recs.

Blackwillows
January 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Just use a regular sulfate shampoo (but moisturize well after), or a non-sulfate shampoo. Both are great, depending on what you want and what your hair/scalp reacts best too.

No one can recommend specifics for you. You're going to have to experiment a bit.

What do you consider slightly wavy? Is there a possibility for you to wash, condition your hair and leave it alone afterwards, then take a picture and let us see what your natural texture is so we could maybe hairtype you. It will help you with routine recs.

Alright thank you! :)
The link http://www.naturallycurly.com/questions/935/can-anyone-tell-me-exactly-whats-wrong-with-my-hair-and-how-do-i-solve-it- has an image of my hair just after I wash as usual and air dry it. Oh and another problem is that my hair drops a lot..

Firefox7275
January 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Alright thank you! :)
The link http://www.naturallycurly.com/questions/935/can-anyone-tell-me-exactly-whats-wrong-with-my-hair-and-how-do-i-solve-it- has an image of my hair just after I wash as usual and air dry it. Oh and another problem is that my hair drops a lot..

Have you brushed, combed or towel turbanned before that picture? All these will pull out wave and create frizz. A wave/ curl typing is done on hair that is washed and drip dried, no manipulation whatsoever.

Blackwillows
January 6th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Have you brushed, combed or towel turbanned before that picture? All these will pull out wave and create frizz. A wave/ curl typing is done on hair that is washed and drip dried, no manipulation whatsoever.

Yes I combed my hair. Alright I will post another pic when I wash my hair. Thanks!

Firefox7275
January 6th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Well I think my hair isn't considered straight, but it's only slightly wavy.

Most people with wavy hair are one or two levels up from where they think they fall (2a = 2b or 2c) if they are used to treating their hair as if it were straight. Curly Girl method does not equal conditioner only washing, that is a myth: a key aspect is not brushing or combing which separates the waves into individual strands (basically what frizz is!). Many straighties co-wash, many wavies on CG use a super gentle sulphate free shampoo. Highly recommend at least avoiding all anionic surfactants not just sulphates. This is because anionics change the electrical charge on hair making it poufy (a bit like static).

It can time to get used to the new techniques and find the right products with Curly Girl, your scalp should not be more oily unless you have a scalp disorder or poor technique (not enough product, not enough massage, not enough rinsing). I can shift a heavy (think tablespoonsful) oiling with co-washing and come out with quite literally squeaky clean hair. I use a LOT of a cheap conditioner, bit lazy on the massage but do wash upside down so easy to hit the scalp and roots.

My damaged hair depoufed the first week with co-washing. When I need to clarify I use a product rich in the foaming surfactant cocoamidopropyl betaine which is much gentler on skin and hair, and does not mess with the electrical charge providing the product is an acidic pH. My scalp was also less oily the first week tho others can take much longer to adjust.

lapushka
January 6th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Curly Girl method does not equal conditioner only washing, that is a myth: a key aspect is not brushing or combing which separates the waves into individual strands (basically what frizz is!). Many straighties co-wash, many wavies on CG use a super gentle sulphate free shampoo. Highly recommend at least avoiding all anionic surfactants not just sulphates. This is because anionics change the electrical charge on hair making it poufy (a bit like static).

True. I even use *sulfate* shampoo, but we double up on the conditioner afterwards. For styling, it's the LOC method (Leave-in, Oil/serum, Cream/gel). So it's a modified CG to me, but I still consider myself CG because I use the method (no brushing dry etc.)!

It can time to get used to the new techniques and find the right products with Curly Girl, your scalp should not be more oily unless you have a scalp disorder or poor technique (not enough product, not enough massage, not enough rinsing). I can shift a heavy (think tablespoonsful) oiling with co-washing and come out with quite literally squeaky clean hair. I use a LOT of a cheap conditioner, bit lazy on the massage but do wash upside down so easy to hit the scalp and roots.

I tried CO washing, but my scalp was too oily. This is after the "adjustment" period. It just would not cooperate. Mind you, I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) so my scalp will not cooperate unless it's a harsh cleanser. There's nothing wrong with not washing CO, as stated above. Just find what works for you within the method, and it will eliminate frizz and poofiness.

Blackwillows
January 8th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Hey guys thanks for the advice
I have used a clarifying shampoo :)
The pics are of my hair after shampooing, conditioning and putting coconut oil.
I did not use any comb or towel.
Even though my hair feels softer near the roots, the ends are still a little frizzy and tangled. :s

http://i40.tinypic.com/6t0dbo.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2r7ukgg.jpg

lapushka
January 8th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I would put you at 1b, maaaybe 1c.