PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Tuck Fail. What did I do wrong?

ProverbsGirl
January 5th, 2014, 07:33 PM
OK So I did a Gibson tuck for the first time. It looked good and seemed like it would hold up...but it didn't. Well it did but the ends of my hair came out the bottom of the 'pocket'.
Then when I went to take it out my hair tie caught and it was one of the worst hair snags I have ever had. I ended up cutting about 15 hairs to finally get it out. It was just so twisted around the tie. :(
Any tips for preventing it from falling out the bottom?
I'm kind of afraid to try it again. Do not want to lose anymore hairs.

neko_kawaii
January 5th, 2014, 07:37 PM
I have the same problem with my hair falling out of the pocket. I hope someone comes by with advice because I love this look.

BrightEyes
January 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM
This is more of a tip for shorter hair, but inserting a hair stick horizontally across the pocket helps everything hold together. It may keep your hair from following out the bottom.

BowTie came up with this idea.

DweamGoiL
January 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I saw a girl on youtube that took another hair tie and folded her ponytail in half and then tied it (forming a loop). Then, she took the loop and placed it inside the pocket. At this point, you can always hold the loop up with hair pins, but it should prevent the length from bottoming out of the pocket.

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Spin Pins.

ProverbsGirl
January 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I saw a girl on youtube that took another hair tie and folded her ponytail in half and then tied it (forming a loop). Then, she took the loop and placed it inside the pocket. At this point, you can always hold the loop up with hair pins, but it should prevent the length from bottoming out of the pocket.
Thanks..I will give that a try!

Spin Pins.

Good idea. I have had spin pins in my cart three times at the store and then end up putting them back. Lol I need to just get the, already. It would probably solve some of my hair updo issues.

sumidha
January 5th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I've never really managed to make a gibson tuck work for me, but the closest I ever came was with spin pins. :)

BlueMajorelle
January 5th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I find that I just don't have enough volume for styles like that, so I use a hair rat. It gives the pins something extra to grip on to and gives more oomph to the actual style itself.

Yozhik
January 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I have the same problem with my hair falling out of the pocket. I hope someone comes by with advice because I love this look.

Neko, the only thing that worked for me past BSL was to do a 'faux-Gibson', which consists of pulling the hair through and over again and again and then barretting the sides up. Really though, I think this is unfortunately a shorter hairdo, because the weight of my hair just pulls it out. :(

neko_kawaii
January 5th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Neko, the only thing that worked for me past BSL was to do a 'faux-Gibson', which consists of pulling the hair through and over again and again and then barretting the sides up. Really though, I think this is unfortunately a shorter hairdo, because the weight of my hair just pulls it out. :(

*sigh* I was afraid of that. Thinking of pulling through over and over again, I did a style a while back where I pulled a braid through like that until the length was all wound up and pinned the ends. I should do that again, I quite liked that.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2014, 11:36 PM
The Gibson Tuck won't work for me any longer, but I do use the Southern twist instead and that always looks nice.

browneyedsusan
January 6th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Try inserting the hair tie low, and pulling it straight up to create a deeper pocket. Mine worms out now too. It's too long. I use Torrin Paige's method now and it works fine. (I prefer my tuck off my neck and make the initial ponytail a bit highter, but you get the idea!)

0xalis
January 6th, 2014, 07:24 PM
The gibson tuck only ever works for me on accident. I am usually trying to do an inverted ponytail. But if I TRY a gibson tuck, oh no, it just falls right out!!

Firefox7275
January 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Good idea. I have had spin pins in my cart three times at the store and then end up putting them back. Lol I need to just get the, already. It would probably solve some of my hair updo issues.

We have knock offs in pound shops (dollar stores) here in the UK and they work great. There are also Chinese knock offs on eBay but some don't have 'bobbles' on the open ends so are rough/ potentially damaging.

DelynofRhondda
January 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Had mine up today in a Gibson Roll. These instructions http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/gibson-roll/#more-1888 were very helpful. I did use a Topsy Tail to help pull the hair through & roll the sides. Also, I didn't roller or pin curl the ends. Used a decorative slide to hide everything. Cotter pin style hair pins work better in my hair, too. Think they're called Amish Pins?

Hope this link to a Blog is ok. Mods, if it's not please either delete or let me know! Thank you. And HTH

cdonald2
January 6th, 2014, 09:10 PM
totally random but how do you get photos and info at the bottom like that.

Also, i cant do a gibson tuck due to hair being layered -___-

Yozhik
January 6th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Cdonald2 - you may need to get to 25 posts to have an avatar and signature picture (siggie). But in any case, go to your screenname (top right of screen) and click, then edit details. Hope that helps! :flower:

And welcome to LHC! Looking forward to seeing you around! :flowers: