PDA

View Full Version : Pony tail question

sweetlidlred
March 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
My hair is just about shoulder length, I have been wearing it in a pony tail almost everyday, I am afraid that wearing it up may be damaging it. I am just using those goody no damage holders, any suggestions for other ways to keep a shoulder length pony up?

Feisty Redhead
March 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I think as long as you aren't securing the pony tail too tight and you're careful in taking the hair tie out then you don't have to worry. I use the same hair ties, and I wear my hair in pony tails a LOT. Other options are scrunchies and bunjee hair ties which I have never tried but I've heard good things about them. You could probably try a pretty ribbon too - but that doesn't work for me, my hair slips right out of ribbon.

Anje
March 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I got quite a bit of breakage from wearing ponytails every day. That said, I wore daily ponytails in the same place on my head from shoulder length to BSL, and my hair is quite fine and therefore fairly fragile. Right now you're at shoulder length and there's not a lot of other styles available quite yet. In a few more inches, you'll have a lot more options for braids, buns, french and peacock twists, etc. In the meantime, try letting it down some, do some half-ups, and generally move the ponytail to different places over the course of the week. Using the fattest ponytail holder you can stand will also minimize damage.

eadwine
March 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
You could vary doing a peacock twist, that should work with shoulderlength. :)

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 03:28 AM
cute pig tails?

Mi-chan
March 20th, 2008, 04:49 AM
What about braiding it? O.o

mommy2one05
April 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
i am just learning to do some updos but dont most start with hair in a low pony....so will that also damage hair?

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
i am just learning to do some updos but dont most start with hair in a low pony....so will that also damage hair?

When I start with a low pony I don't use a band first. That's the difference. I wouldn't do a pony in the same place very day myself. If I HAD to I would at least use hair "hosiery" instead of the elastic bands. To me they are MUCH less hard on the hair and less likely to cause breakage. Other than that a scrunchy would be good if you could get that to work. You can get narrow scrunchies that look almost like bands, that's what I used to do when I wore ponies a lot.

Elenna
April 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think that pulling hair while in a ponytail is what damages it. Otherwise, just being careful about the ponytail helps a lot. Ponys are my main style -- simple and fast.

karenpetal
April 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
hey - using a god scrunchy without tying your hair too tight shouldnt damage your hair
if u want to try something else to keep them off ur face try a half up braid
using elastic cloth headband help too

bte
April 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
I wear a ponytail every day, and find that the only damage is either if the band is too tight or if I am tempted to keep tightening the band. Using a band without a metal join is important, too, as the metal isn't kind to hair!