PDA

View Full Version : Layers vs all one length for tangles?

Fluffy01
January 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Have you noticed that more layers helps with tangles or having all one length?

Maktub
January 5th, 2014, 08:14 AM
My guess is that - in theory - one lenght might usually tangle less in the long run because you can freshen most the ends each trimm. While with layers, trimms might not freshen all the hair ends that were cut the last time.

These ends have exposed cortex, meaning slow protein loss and, overtime, fragility if trimmed very rarely. They might be the most prone for damage, and are higher up in the mane.

And we know splits and damage tangles much more.

Just a guess though !

spidermom
January 5th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Layers and a V-cut have made my hair so much easier to manage that I can hardly believe it. What few tangles I get are easily untangled.

Maktub
January 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Layers and a V-cut have made my hair so much easier to manage that I can hardly believe it. What few tangles I get are easily untangled.

Just curious, do you think it's the layers and V-cut or rather the shorter and recently trimmed/cut ends ?
My hair tangles SO little after a generous cut of the ends too (I get a strait cut)

Johannah
January 5th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Out of experience - layers are easier, but not much.

spidermom
January 5th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Good point, Maktub; I really don't know. But I'm grateful. Fighting with my tangles is not my idea of a good time.

lapushka
January 5th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Have you noticed that more layers helps with tangles or having all one length?

I've had it all one length (hip to TBL) and it's now layered at hip. I see and feel no difference in tangles between my one length and layered hair. It's all about moisturizing it, slathering it in conditioner well enough for it to be easily detangleable.

eira
January 7th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I'm really curious about this too... I've been thinking of making layers for such a long time now but can't decide. My hair is very tangly. :(

jacqueline101
January 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I've a v hemline but no layers. Even with layers my hair didn't tangle a lot and when it did they came out. I did dust my ends and my tangles went down. I never had bad ones I'm a cone user. Anyways I think dusting my v hemline help my hair tangle less plus cones and clarifying. I noticed going a few days past my monthly washing my hair got tangly. I know I'm not the best at advice but those things above helped my hair. When I had layers I didn't use cones at all.

ExpectoPatronum
January 7th, 2014, 12:03 PM
My hair is mostly length and I rarely have a problem with tangles. I don't know if it's my hair/routine or the fact it's one length though. (I have a couple bits in the front that or shorter....Like maybe an inch or two and that's it)

sharonluvscats
January 7th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Layers are worse for tangles IMHO. My ends are what usually tangle so now I have ends at different lengths. This means more tangles in different locations. I also don't trim my layers since I'm growing them out. This makes tangling worse.

LaurelSpring
January 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I have always found that I have much less tangles with layers. Unfortunately I just don't like the way layers look in my hair. It just looks too thin. I would rather have the volume and deal with some tangles.

shutterpillar
January 8th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I've noticed that my hair was less tangley when I had layers. I'm not quite sure why that is, though. :confused: It's 1000x better taken care of now than it ever was when I routinely got layers cut in it.

bunnylake
January 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Way less tangly with layers. It's recommended by hair stylists that if you're hair tangles easily, get layers. It's true, at least from my own experience.

raingirl
January 8th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I have very thin fine hair. I had BSL hair up to October and it was tangling all over the place. Since I had it cut to shoulder and slightly layered, the tangles are much less. I had had a few blunt cuts before with the BSL length hair and it still tangled so it wasn't a frequency of trim issue.

Tini'sNewHair
January 8th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I just dont like layers and the main reason is because I get split ends a lot worse and all over the place. I'm happy with my one length (slight U shape) and i dont tangle.

panffle
January 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
My hair tangles a lot more when I have layers, which I do currently. I've been trying to grow them out, but as I said, the tangles cause splits/velcro ends making it a lot harder to grow out, since I have to trim it... I've been thinking of cutting it all to one length to get rid of them entirely but it would put me back at collarbone/APL-ish.

peppermintgomez
January 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Longer hair = more tangles, so if it's all long and one length, it stands to reason that there would be more tangling. If I have long, subtle layers it doesn't make a difference...tangles just as much as it does when blunt-cut. But more extreme layers helps somewhat. Not enough to make a huge difference...and my underlayer is always tangled. I've given up on trying to fix it.

vickinight
January 8th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Good question and topic!
Interesting reading everyone's experiences.
My own experience was that when my hair was long (tailbone-length), it seemed to get fewer tangles with layers IF ONLY because there was less hair to tangle... I seemed to get more tangles with long hair but please note that I left my hair DOWN 90% of the time so maybe if I had kept it in updos, I wouldn't have gotten the tangles.

I remember my hair being thick and heavy when it was that length (I am possibly undergoing hair loss right now) to the point of it being annoying so that was the reason I cut layers in the first place.

Another thing to consider is that I found it easier and less time-consuming to apply stuff (product) to hair when it was in layers... So perhaps one of the reasons for fewer tangles with layers was because I could create more "slip" in my hair more effectively = fewer tangles?

Happy New Year!

Naiadryade
January 8th, 2014, 11:21 PM
I find that my tangles are usually caused by split ends. If I skip S&D too much or have a particularly hair-damaging experience, tangles will get worse until I do a good thorough S&D session, which fixes the problem. This is with left-over, now-long layers (shortest at APL) in WL hair. I imagine that after I trim out most of my old layers, I will get tangly less often because it will be easier to remain low-split: a 5- or 10-minute microtrim, plus maybe 30-60 min of S&D, will accomplish what now can only be achieved with a 4-hour S&D session. That's just a hypothesis, though. The test will probably take another year or two.

Neptune
January 9th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I've had it all one length (hip to TBL) and it's now layered at hip. I see and feel no difference in tangles between my one length and layered hair. It's all about moisturizing it, slathering it in conditioner well enough for it to be easily detangleable.

lapushka, do you use conditioner every time you detangle? how often is that? do you leave the conditioner in afterwards? right now i'm detangling in the morning & at night with a wide-tooth tortoiseshell comb and then using a BBB afterwards. would love any suggestions :)