PDA

View Full Version : Uncertain about my hair color + unwanted red tones

Cederin
January 5th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Hey, I'm really struggling right now to determine the color of my hair.
This is what it looks in daylight:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2i7s1fb.jpg

I'm currently testing out honey bleaching. My hair was just a couple of moths ago dark brown.
The color I have now is chemically bleached, for the last time I hope.

So... Is it light brown? Or is it closer to dark strawberry blonde? Copper?
Also, this hair project is for growing out my natural color wich is medium, mousy blonde (I think, haven't seen my virgin color in many years)
How can I get rid of the red tones, without chemical dye? Is there a way around the chemicals?

spidermom
January 5th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Light auburn was my first reaction.

sarahthegemini
January 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I would call it light brown/dark blonde with a red undertone. Gorgeous colour imo!

eta: I don't think there's a way of removing the red undertones as such, but perhaps cassia would turn them more golden? I'm just throwing the idea out there, someone clarify this!

Applegirl84
January 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I've had some luck neutralizing red tones with diluted blue manic panic, but it didn't last long. Then I tried a weak indigo (the plant that is often mixed with henna) and the results have been very long lasting, but you have to be incredibly carful not to end up with long lasting green streaks. I'm very happy with my results, but I hesitate to reccomend it, because it could go very wrong.

Johannah
January 5th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I second spidermom :o

Foxylocks
January 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
It looks like a pretty strawberry blonde to me. You could try a violet toned shampoo and conditioner; blondes often use it to neutralize red tones.

HylianGirl
January 5th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Looks like strawbery blonde to me. A green or blue toner could help, you can make one, like Applegirl84 did, mix some deposit only dye like manic panic with consitione till you get a light blue/light green and put it on your hair like a deep treatment, but you will need to redo it after some time, it's like purple toner for people trying to go platinum blonde, purple is the opposite of yellow, so it cancels it out, blue is the oposite of orange, and green, the oposite of red, so it should help you.

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Strawberry blonde. Reds tend to be the last pigment to pull from the hair with peroxide or persulphate bleach (honey is weak peroxide), if you don't want them it's always best to strand test before lightening your whole head. You could try neutralising eith an ashy or green-ish semi permanent colour.

Cederin
January 5th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions and thoughts about my color! :) I will do some research on the things you guys mentioned :o
And yeah, I will definately strand test on whatever method I'll eventually use!

abauer789
January 5th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Your hair color is beautiful! I would say Strawberry blonde also. I use Aveda Clove conditioner to tone down the brassiness of the dyed hair I am growing out. It is just temporary and made of cloves and coffee, etc to tint the hair. Works great for me!
Just an idea for you! :D

alexis917
January 5th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I think your color is beautiful, and looks like a strawberry blonde shade to me!
If you want to tone down redness, maybe try Manic Panic Virgin Snow?
I used one of their other dyes before and my hair felt really soft when I rinsed it out.

Cederin
January 6th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Thank you very much guys! :o Great ideas!

0xalis
January 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM
That looks like one of the colours many natural blondes fade into with age. A very, very light brown, dark blonde!

woodswanderer
January 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I thought strawberry blonde...no advice on what to do though.

Cederin
January 7th, 2014, 02:39 AM
That looks like one of the colours many natural blondes fade into with age. A very, very light brown, dark blonde!

I really hope that! We'll see the difference when I can see my roots again, it would be very nice if it just blends in. :)

mcgg417
September 25th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Hmm medium to light strawberry blonde to me :D

Stiria
September 26th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I agree with spidermom, it looks light auburn. Beautiful color! Diluted Manic panic would probably work for toning down redness. It is very conditioning too.

MandyBeth
September 27th, 2015, 06:11 AM
To cancel the red - blue if it's very copper, orange looking or green if it's cooler red. Think opposite on the color wheel. If it's just brassy from bleaching, violet tones may help. However, on my hair, violet always runs red looking in the end.

Manic Panic is a fairly easy test. After Midnight is a very dark blue but it dilutes very nicely and isn't as bleed prone as some colors.

LauraAlaina
September 27th, 2015, 08:49 AM
rosegold! i love it!