PDA

View Full Version : Blue/Jet black hair: Henna+Indigo or Conventional Dye

BroomHilda
January 5th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Hey y'all, this is my first post but I ve been around here for quite a while. Here's the story:

I am curly with mix of very coarse/coarse strands with some kinks. Natural type of hair is 2c/3a, very dark brown-black.
Right now my ponytail circumference is about 3,25+ inches.
For the past 3 years I ve been doing keratin treatments every 2-3 months and dying blue-black every 3-5 months (roots and length). In the meanwhile I had a Co-washing-oiling-sealing-no heat regimen.

However my hair is not growing past BSL-midback length without ridiculous tapering. (i crave so badly TB length)
So I decided to give up any process for at least 8 months to see if there is any difference.
BUT I hate the reddish tones I have due to fading. I REALLY love blue black shade and I want to get rid of those red highlights. I hate any color other than deeeeep black on my hair.

So, you experts of henna, what would you suggest?
My starting color (right now) is black that looks red if light gets through my hair.
What would be more permanent? Henna/indigo or conventional dye (using over soacked hair with coconut oil to avoid most of the damage)
What would result in more blue black?
Does Henna/indigo fade resulting in reddish tones over time?

Magalo
January 5th, 2014, 04:43 AM
What about a toner?

Henna/indigo will fade to a reddish tone.

BroomHilda
January 5th, 2014, 04:45 AM
thank you!
What is a toner?

Magalo
January 5th, 2014, 04:48 AM
It's a blue based mixture that is made to eliminate reddish/yellow tones. Bottle blondes uses it (to avoid yellow hair) and I've seen a lot of old people (with white hair) using it, too. :p You could mix some in a travel-size bottle of shampoo and use it 1-2 times a week instead of your regular shampoo.

BroomHilda
January 5th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Interesting! Okay, so it works like a semi permanent that cancelles any unwanted tones? Why not use a semi permanent dye of blue black instead? ;p

LadyCelestina
January 5th, 2014, 06:11 AM
In my experience,just a toner won't get you to blue black.It might get your hair slightly ashier,but definitely not blue black.

There is a member with blue-black hair and I believe I read in a thread she uses high pigment semi permanent dye in navy blue colour.It doesn't cause damage,as you don't use bleach with it. ETA: The particular brand is also reported to have very little fading. http://www.pravana.com/products/chromasilk_vivids.html

HylianGirl
January 5th, 2014, 11:14 AM
What is your natural colour? If it is dark brown you may get blue black by using a demi like manic panic in dark blue over it. It'll fade, but you may reaply without fear of damage.

Arashi
January 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM
In my experience and observation- you simply can't get blue black with henna and indigo. It's always going to be reddish to some extent.

To prevent damage with chemical dye, I highly recommend using the coconut oil method (drenching your hair in coconut oil from root to tip, leaving it at least an hour, and dyeing over that) and switching to roots only with the permanent dye. For the length, using a blue toner or dyeing with a blue vegetable dye like manic panic or special effects will help maintain that deep blue black shade you desire. :)

Anje
January 5th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I'd suggest deposit only. You can get jet black with henna & indigo with repeat applications, but if takes commitment and more time for applications than many people are willing to do. (RavennaNight has awesome black hair from henna and indigo two-step applications; I recommend her as a reference if you go that route.)

Pravana is another good alternative.

I suggest you do a stand test before going back to normal chemical colors with peroxide developers. There's a reasonable chance your indigo could turn green....

Yozhik
January 5th, 2014, 02:23 PM
What is your natural colour? If it is dark brown you may get blue black by using a demi like manic panic in dark blue over it. It'll fade, but you may reaply without fear of damage.

This ^^. :agree:

I know a member who has warm black hair and dyes with manic panic blue and gets a beautiful blue black with no damage. You could also try stretching washes to increase the longevity of the dye. :)

tbonita
January 5th, 2014, 07:39 PM
It's funny this came up right now!! I'm not going for black (although I might get it), am just doing a little experiment to see if blue manic panic would cancel out red in my BROWN hendigo. I'll post results! The reason I say it may go black is that even though I used rockabilly blue and diluted 50/50 with conditioner, the mixture looks very blue-black atop my head. I'm rinsing out in 20!

tbonita
January 5th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Ok it's very weird... It turned out looking much like a blue/black, but when the light hits it right, and I can bet my bottom dollar tomorrow in the sun this will happen, that burgundy-ish tinge is there. But again I had a brownish auburnish hendigo... With a full 2-step and full strength midnight blue manic panic I think it's possible! I'd post a pic but I'm having difficulty taking one that exemplifies its blue-black yet red-ness...

BroomHilda
January 6th, 2014, 02:11 AM
thanks everyone for your answers!
First of all let me tell you that I leave in EU so I most likely don't have access to the brands you suggest:(
I will check for pravana.

my nat.color is very brown-almost black. Rigth now I have a faded black with red hues (last dyed on september) The reason why I didn't concider demi was due to repeated applications.

In my experience and observation- you simply can't get blue black with henna and indigo. It's always going to be reddish to some extent.

To prevent damage with chemical dye, I highly recommend using the coconut oil method (drenching your hair in coconut oil from root to tip, leaving it at least an hour, and dyeing over that) and switching to roots only with the permanent dye. For the length, using a blue toner or dyeing with a blue vegetable dye like manic panic or special effects will help maintain that deep blue black shade you desire. :)
Yes I ve read religiously ktani's thread about coconut oil and peroxide damage. I was thinking about switching to 10v developer instead of 20v I was using till now, plus the coconut oil method.
However..There is no need to touch the roots with permanent if I switch to a semi. My roots are jet black , you cannot even distinguish from the rest of the freshly color hair.
All the concern is about the lengths' color :P

I'd suggest deposit only. You can get jet black with henna & indigo with repeat applications, but if takes commitment and more time for applications than many people are willing to do. (RavennaNight has awesome black hair from henna and indigo two-step applications; I recommend her as a reference if you go that route.)

Pravana is another good alternative.

I suggest you do a stand test before going back to normal chemical colors with peroxide developers. There's a reasonable chance your indigo could turn green....

that's what I suspected... I m not willing to do weekly (even monthly) time concuming applications and not even achieve what I m expecting. Or maybe I would if someone could ensure me it s not going to fade over time.
I ve checked RavennaNight's photos in her signature, and if I remember she mentioned she is natural blonde. There is hope for me xD