PDA

View Full Version : Desert Hair Help!

Crumpet
January 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'm going to be working in a dry, sunny, desert environment for about 4 weeks. It will also be a bit dirty and yuck. I'll have little access to normal showers, etc. I don't mind washing my hair infrequently there, but are there any tips for taking care of my hair while there? I usually over up and try to apply lots of coconut oil, but is there anything else you would recommend?

ExpectoPatronum
January 4th, 2014, 10:12 PM
You seem to be planning on doing what I would do...Wearing it up and applying coconut oil. Would you be able to bring some stuff to do a deep treatment or two while you're there? I'd also recommend wearing something to cover your head and shade your face. No need to get sunburned :)

Wildcat Diva
January 4th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Double post sorry

Wildcat Diva
January 4th, 2014, 10:14 PM
How about a buff to keep your hair covered? Or a scarf.

neko_kawaii
January 4th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Bandana and a wide brimmed hat. I'd be wary of the oils simply because they will attract dust and you won't be able to wash the dust out regularly. Make sure that none of the products you use have humectants in them. Aloe is a big no no when it is dry. Still good for skin, but keep it out of your hair. At waist length a simple braid shouldn't flop around too much and you can always tuck it into your long sleeved shirt (don't neglect that item). I have had good luck with a braided bun. If there is sufficient water, dousing your head and soaking your bun will help keep you cool.

Avital88
January 4th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Covering it would b a good idea indeed and oiling it. Nothing more

Crumpet
January 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM
OOoh, thank you all! Its good to have reinforcements of ideas! I do usually put scarves and hats on. I also always wear oodles of sunscreen (I'm pale). Thanks for the reminder about the aloe, I would probably forget about that.

Its scary heading off since I feel like I've hit my stride in terms of a routine! It will be fun being away but I'm pretty hair obsessive these days!!

sapphire-o
January 5th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Can you find out about the water quality there? In my experience dry areas tend to have salty water which can make hair feel weird. I once washed my hair in a mineral spring and could see white dust in my hair after it dried. :o I suggest you bring a bit of clarifying shampoo just in case the water's really hard. Something simple that cleans well and rinse off very easily. Not the moisturizing type with 13 additional ingredients that might bind with minerals to form gunk. :)

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Wi you be able to rinse or little water at all? I'd use a UV Buff or a wide brimmed hat made of UV fabric, permanent up dos.

Not sure I'd add a load of products since any stickiness will attract dust/ sand/ dirt. If you did use a true leave in conditioner rich in fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants. These are multi functional: weak humectants so should help hair hold the right amount of water, water soluble so rinse fairly easily with massage, can double up as cleansers due to their emulsifying properties.

Basically you could have dirty hair that was previously coated in leave in conditioner, add a small amount of water, massage well to mix the water with the conditioner and dislodge dirt, rinse well with more massage, apply leave in conditioner and leave to air dry.

Amapola
January 5th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I live in such an environment. :) I do oil my ends occasionally, generally right before washing. I keep my hair up, and try and cover it (although I can't always, but it sure does help!) and yes, it gets dirty. Oh well! That dirt helps with some styles!

The PH of the water will probably be different than what you are used to. Try apple cider vinegar rinse when you are done washing. My own hair is just used to the well water here, but it is very hard water. An acv rinse once in a while is really refreshing to my hair.

Funny thing is, I have trouble when I go to a moister climate! My hair freaks out about high humidity. I think your hair will adjust at some point.

Crumpet
January 5th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Wi you be able to rinse or little water at all? I'd use a UV Buff or a wide brimmed hat made of UV fabric, permanent up dos.

Not sure I'd add a load of products since any stickiness will attract dust/ sand/ dirt. If you did use a true leave in conditioner rich in fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants. These are multi functional: weak humectants so should help hair hold the right amount of water, water soluble so rinse fairly easily with massage, can double up as cleansers due to their emulsifying properties.

Basically you could have dirty hair that was previously coated in leave in conditioner, add a small amount of water, massage well to mix the water with the conditioner and dislodge dirt, rinse well with more massage, apply leave in conditioner and leave to air dry.

Great advice! I have a buff and I think I would have forgotten to pack it if you and some of the others hadn't reminded me. Thanks! I'll look into the LI Conditioner option. I think that could really work well as I'll have access to a bit of water but not tons. We'll have bottled water and water from the local river (yes, totally rural!). My hair definitely dries out easily so I'm keen to try to keep it as happy as possible for these few weeks. I expect I'll want a hard care deep conditioning treatment when I get home though!!

Crumpet
January 5th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I live in such an environment. :) I do oil my ends occasionally, generally right before washing. I keep my hair up, and try and cover it (although I can't always, but it sure does help!) and yes, it gets dirty. Oh well! That dirt helps with some styles!

The PH of the water will probably be different than what you are used to. Try apple cider vinegar rinse when you are done washing. My own hair is just used to the well water here, but it is very hard water. An acv rinse once in a while is really refreshing to my hair.

Funny thing is, I have trouble when I go to a moister climate! My hair freaks out about high humidity. I think your hair will adjust at some point.

I used to live in NM every summer for work. I LOVE it (and love the desert!). I always get a bit jealous when I see your posts since I miss it. I had a similar thing of hair freak-out when I'd go to humid climates, particularly since I'm a wavy! Thanks for the tips!!

swearnsue
January 5th, 2014, 04:54 PM
In addition to what everyone else has suggested, use bottled water for your final rinse. Desert water is full of minerals.

Crumpet
January 5th, 2014, 05:10 PM
In addition to what everyone else has suggested, use bottled water for your final rinse. Desert water is full of minerals.

Oh, great reminder. Thank you!!

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Great advice! I have a buff and I think I would have forgotten to pack it if you and some of the others hadn't reminded me. Thanks! I'll look into the LI Conditioner option. I think that could really work well as I'll have access to a bit of water but not tons. We'll have bottled water and water from the local river (yes, totally rural!). My hair definitely dries out easily so I'm keen to try to keep it as happy as possible for these few weeks. I expect I'll want a hard care deep conditioning treatment when I get home though!!

If your hair is basically permanently coated in conditioner and you are not shampooing, you may find commercial intensive conditioners superfluous after your trip: only so many conditioning molecules can be deposited on the cuticle before the binding sites are basically saturated. Unless of course you clarify and chelate when you return.

You may be wise to learn from us conditioner only fans and limit or avoid ingredients that build up: certain silicones, polyquats, waxes including cetyl esters, butters. Something like Tresemne Naturals might be a good choice - it's pretty slipp for detangling, works as both a wash product and a leave in even tho it's supposed to be a regular conditioner. Otherwise WEN or knock offs which contain silicones that resist building up; these are formulated to cleanse, detangle and condition.

Crumpet
January 5th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks again Firefox. I started CO-washing every other week recently (I wash once per week these days) and I avoid all of the build up ingredients. I just bought the Giovanni leave in, which looks pretty good and I found on sale. Hopefully this will save my hair, along with the buff, hat, and permi-updo. I also invested in another travel sleep cap (I ADORE my usual one and don't want to destroy it while I'm working in the desert).

Thanks to everyone who has pitched in. I'm feeling much better about this trip -- I was getting scared for my hair.

SoulOfTheSea
January 5th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I live in a VERY dry place, and from my experience, nothing helps like a light silicon serum, and braiding hair when it's slightly damp, or right out of the shower if you have no time. Braiding it wet helps trap in some of the moisture in my hair, especially after help seal it with the serum to prevent the dry air from sucking it up. Also, CO wash in between your normal shampooing if possible, to help preserve moisture. And yes- stay away from the humectants like aloe vera and glycerin if you don't want fried hair!

Jojoba oil is also a good friend of mine for keeping my ends soft and massaging my scalp if it gets dry.

Hope that helps! (PS, bring a good body butter or some coconut oil with you, your skin will dry out like crazy too!) :)