PDA

View Full Version : Can you over-condition hair?

Arwenlily
January 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM
My hair is very soft right now, not necessarily frizzy but full and very curly. The thing that worries me that it almost feels too soft ...

I'm going to start a full CG method, but first I needed to wash out the cones so I used a sulfate-free shampoo. Then I conditioned with Biolage Deep Smoothing Conditioner and then did an ACV rinse. Finally, put some Suave Naturals conditioner as a leave-in.

Could I have over-conditioned? If I did, how could you tell?

Edit: I also want to add that my hair dried surprisingly quickly today after what I did. Usually my hair takes a really long time to dry but not today. The top took a little longer to dry though.

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Doesn't sound overconditioned. Overconditioned is spongy and stretchy and does NOT feel good. the cure for that is protein.

heidi w.
January 4th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I've never been concerned with over-conditioned hair. I don't think there's much of a concern, really. But I don't really have an answer for you.
heidi w.

winship2
January 4th, 2014, 08:14 PM
My hair, which definitely requires moisture and hates protein, became wayyyy over-conditioned duringthe period I tried CO. It became lank and stretchy ad kind of scary!! Cleared up quickly when I quit CO. I use Giovanni 2Chic Moisturizing Avocado and Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner now. I am very happy with those products, but the other day my hair seemed a little too stretchy again on the shower so I'm going to try the Acure Moroccan Argan Oil s&c a couple days a week.

Short answer, IMO, yes it can become overconditioned. But easy to fix :)

GoddesJourney
January 4th, 2014, 08:17 PM
It may just be lighter and smoother since you clarified it and left in a very light leave in. I don't see a problem.

...and if it gets "gunky" just clarify every now and then.

Arwenlily
January 4th, 2014, 10:14 PM
My hair, which definitely requires moisture and hates protein, became wayyyy over-conditioned duringthe period I tried CO. It became lank and stretchy ad kind of scary!! Cleared up quickly when I quit CO. I use Giovanni 2Chic Moisturizing Avocado and Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner now. I am very happy with those products, but the other day my hair seemed a little too stretchy again on the shower so I'm going to try the Acure Moroccan Argan Oil s&c a couple days a week.

Short answer, IMO, yes it can become overconditioned. But easy to fix :)

To fix it, did you just shampoo and condition your hair?

Arwenlily
January 4th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah, idk that the heck happened. My ends look horrible now and they are tangly .... usually they are well moisturized and healthy looking. What did I do wrong?

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 09:46 AM
'Over conditioned' is a funny term that doesn't have a defined meaning. Some people get build up from focussing on conditioning or using the wrong products, this can present as lank or gressy looking hair or as tangly and rough/ dry feeling hair presumably depending exactly which ingredient has built up.

Some seem to get hair that is over moisturised (takes forever to dry, weak and elastic similar to when damp/wet). In some cases at least that seems to be down to overusing humectants (especially potent ones like glycerin, propylene glycol) in humid conditions. You may not need to clarify as such since not all humectants are substantive (stick to hair) so cannot build up.

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Firefox. I guess 'over moisturized' is technically what I meant (but it happened from too much conditioner. but clarifying alone did not help. It need a dose of protein and then it felt normal and good again. I used Joico K-pak (for the protein treatment), not the complicated one but the one you leave in for only a minute.
Without the protein, my ends especially totally went to hell.

Mya
January 5th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Over-conditioned curly hair? There's no such thing. :p

Mya
January 5th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah, idk that the heck happened. My ends look horrible now and they are tangly .... usually they are well moisturized and healthy looking. What did I do wrong?

May it be the conditioner you used as leave-in? Lots of leave-in conditioners (or diluted conditioners used as leave-in) do that. They get sticky as they air dry.

Maktub
January 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Didn't read all the replys, but it sounds like the "weirdly sort of too soft" texture comes from the concentration of ACV in your rinse.

Happens to me when I go a little overboard on the ACV (I also have 3a hair).

ETA : just read your ends are tangly... then it might be something else than ACV. Good luck !

Foxylocks
January 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
As long as your hair feels good, that is what matters. For me, my hair can never be too conditioned. The more conditioner, the better.

Sorry, just read that that your hair feels horrible. Same thing happened to me when I tried to leave conditioner in my hair.

ErinLeigh
January 8th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I just found this on a curly site
You may have thought it would never happen, but if you over-condition your hair, it may feel too soft and very slippery. Over-conditioned hair may even repel itself as though you rubbed a balloon on your head. Limp or greasy looking hair or hair that looks puffy and undefined are signs of over-conditioning.
To help reverse this, wash your hair with shampoo and use much less conditioner or simply just a lighter formula. You might use a protein treatment, which tends to counter the soft, mushy feeling by strengthening (“stiffening”) hair. You can do this at home by beginning with an apple cider vinegar rinse to remove excess oils. However, “over-conditioning” can also refer to a build-up of emulsifying emollients in conditioners which can be difficult to remove without the help of a surfactant or a mild abrasive like baking soda. Once you have done this, use a protein treatment to restore strength and resilience to hair.

hmm.. glad you posted this so I can keep an eye on things. It is easy to get overly concerned with conditioning sometimes for me. Maybe that's why my hair felt better last week after a light protein treatment. I used a Giovanni protein leave in last week after bleaching. I will be keeping an eye on balance better. I kept away from protein after a protein overload but I guess that passed so now I will need it in my regimen once in a while.

vickinight
January 9th, 2014, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure about "over-conditioning" but from what I have learned, it is that it's a balance between moisture + protein that is quite important to the integrity of the hair.

That too much moisture without enough protein will make it too weak and that too much protein without enough moisture will make it too brittle.
Both of these scenarios could end in breakage or damage but just for different reasons.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!