PDA

View Full Version : Using 2 conditioners to CO wash?

Arwenlily
January 4th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I see a lot of girls using two conditioners to CO wash. One for the actually CO wash such as Suave Naturals and something thicker for their lengths like a conditioning balm. Why is this and is it necessary?

If you use a separate rinse out conditioner than CO wash, which one do you use?

Johannah
January 4th, 2014, 12:18 PM
It's not necessary. Most people who CO use a cheap conditioner because first it doesn't cost a lot of money (you need a lot of it) and second, these conditioners are mostly more 'watery' and easier to use and to spread over your hair. But most of times, they don't condition as a more expensive conditioner does. That's where the second conditioner is for.

At least, that's why I do it :p

Arwenlily
January 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It's not necessary. Most people who CO use a cheap conditioner because first it doesn't cost a lot of money (you need a lot of it) and second, these conditioners are mostly more 'watery' and easier to use and to spread over your hair. But most of times, they don't condition as a more expensive conditioner does. That's where the second conditioner is for.

At least, that's why I do it :p

Ahh I see. That makes sense. Which products do you use?

Johannah
January 4th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Ahh I see. That makes sense. Which products do you use?

For washing CO I use a brand from a specific drug store, so you probably can't find that :p (it's from 'Kruidvat'). For the actual conditioner I use Petal Fresh Tea Tree Conditioner. It's a cone-free one and I really recommend it!

sarahthegemini
January 4th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I use a cheap runny very basic conditioner (it costs 80p per 500ml) to co-wash and then I use GVN Smooth as Silk for the actual conditioning step. The way I see it, if a conditioner is that basic and runny that it can effectively cleanse, it's not gunna be rich enough for conditioning. And if a condish is rich enough that it effectively, well, conditions, it isn't going to cleanse well.

Rio040113
January 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I think Johannah explained it nicely, to address the 'is it necessary' though - no, it's not for everyone - it's not necessary in my experience but YMMV. I use a cheap, cone free, slightly watery conditioner and follow that up with the LOC method. My hair is silky and has plenty of slip, so I don't bother with a second conditioner partly for money and partly because I'm lazy but mainly just to keep my routine simple and reduce build up. Either way, 1 condish or 2 could work for you :)

Lyv
January 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM
It's not necessary but for me I liked using a light conditioner to "wash" my scalp and then I used a second heavier one to condition the length.

Aingeal
January 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Agreed! I need something silky to condition my hair and the runny conditioners don't do it.

Ocelan
January 4th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I've only recently started doing the 2 conditioner regime. I CO washed for atleast a year and a half before that with just one cheap runny conditioner which worked ok, but since I've used a thicker and more expensive conditioner for the ends I've noticed my hair being a lot softer than shinier at the ends, so it works for me. I'm quite limited in my options for conditioner as I need unscented products, but usually I use Neutral conditioner for the cleansing and then a Cutrin unscented deep treatment for the ends. I usually sit in the sauna with my conditioner so that kind of helps it work like a deep treatment.

Especially if your hair is all virgin color and has not seen much heat styling or other abuse, then I think it should be in good enough shape for more watery conditioners, but my dye and previous abuse damaged hair needs some pampering from time to time. I agree with what others have said about the reasons of using 2 conditioners, but it's in no way necessary. Just make sure your conditioner is runny enough so that it can actually cleanse your scalp and hair. I know my thick and heavy conditioner wouldn't do a very good job at cleaning. And anyway if you don't want to or can't be bothered to use a heavier conditioner every time, then you could atleast do it sometimes. I even sometimes CO wash using an SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment).

Arwenlily
January 4th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I think this will probably be best for me too, I'll try using Suave Naturals Coconut to wash and Biolage deep smoothing conditioner for the length. So when you do clean your scalp with the runny condish, do you only wash the scalp? Or do you wash all of your hair with that condish and then afterwards only use the thicker conditioner on the length afterwards?

Ocelan
January 5th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I do it by putting the runny conditioner from my scalp down to about neck or shoulder level and maybe wipe or squeeze down the rest of it on my length. Then without washing the washing conditioner off I put the thicker conditioner on my ends and let them both do their thing for a few minutes or for a longer time if I wish. Before I rinse the conditioners off I pour some water on my scalp and massage it so that the washing conditioner does its job, kind of the same way as if you were washing with shampoo, and I may do some squeezing all the way down to my ends. And then I rinse it off. Then I follow with an ACV rinse.

Cederin
January 5th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I like to use a light, volumizing conditioner for washing my scalp, without too much moisturizing ingredients (unless my fringe and upper parts would get greasy). For my ends it's the total opposite, there I need a thick, heavy one with oils and such to tame the dryness.

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I see a lot of girls using two conditioners to CO wash. One for the actually CO wash such as Suave Naturals and something thicker for their lengths like a conditioning balm. Why is this and is it necessary?

If you use a separate rinse out conditioner than CO wash, which one do you use?

Co-washing is simply a replacement for your shampoo step, it uses one product not two. The separate second step is simply conditioning as normal. Co-washing should cleanse gently but effectively, my hair is literally squeaky clean, without being stripped or made poufy but it is NOT conditioned. Think of the product used as a cleanser not as a conditioner, the technique is totally different.

I generally do a co-wash with Inecto then use plenty of a leave in conditioner (product varies). When I used to shampoo I did much the same, no rinse out conditioner (actually used a spray detangler, no wonder my hair was in poor condition).