PDA

View Full Version : Updos ideas that cover the ears?

MissBubble
January 4th, 2014, 10:00 AM
As the title says, I need some ideas for buns etc that cover one of the ears, or at least the top part of it. More details are following but basically, it is just that!

I really want to make buns and updos and stuff like that, especially now that I am in the process of taking care of my hair and let it grow.
But I almost always wear them down because I am self concious of the appearance of the top part of the back side of one of my ears. It is something that is not visible from the front and almost from the side, but it is from the back. So, I keep my hair down to hide it, or braid them for example on the side to have it covered. When I make a bun, I try to make it loose to cover the top of my ear, but again I am always nervous of the hair moving and reveal it so I have to use a big hair toy like a flower just to be sure.
It is something that cannot be changed and I know that it would be easier just to get over it and accept, it isn't that dramatic after all and could pass unnoticed.

Ms. Littlefish
January 4th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I'm sorry that I do not have advice for a hair-do. I have no hair quite yet and have never really put mine up too much. Maybe wear the up do to the side so you can pull a few pieces, loosen the grip over the side it appears? But, people are often too worried about the things they don't like about themselves to notice yours. I'm sure it's not that noticeable or a head turner. I personally would be too worried about my jiggly arms to notice your ear.

neko_kawaii
January 4th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Make a portion of your hair near your ear loose so it covers that part of your ear when you are pulling your hair back to begin the updo. Can be done with bun or braid, but might take some practice to get the tension right.

Naiadryade
January 4th, 2014, 10:35 AM
To have the option to cover my ears (for me, it's because I need the warmth), I do buns low, close to the nape of my neck. Any bun will do, as long as it is positioned level with or below my ears. As long as it's not done super-tight (which isn't good for the hair and scalp anyway), this position makes it easy to pull hair over my ears or tuck them behind at will. For variation so you're not always stressing hair in the same spot, you can do the buns in the middle, to one side, and to the other side. Also switch it up with braids.

However, I'm sure whatever you're self-conscious about isn't as noticeable or heinous as you think. We're all our own worst critics!

melusine963
January 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM
You could try a sideways sock bun like in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3CryIfIyK8&list=UUkrvCswr4x5LH3-Z8GTCKXw&index=53). If you make it a little further to the side, it should do a good job of covering the top of one ear.

summerseason
January 4th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Maybe you could try a side braid,pony, or bun and secure it on the side of the head that has the thing you are trying to cover. Make it a little loose and messy so some of the hair attached to that side of the head will gently drape over that part of the ear. From what it sounds like it doesn't even have to cover the whole top portion of the ear, it just has to have enough volume (I guess) to hide the back. I hope that helps a little! I know how it is to have something about yourself you wish you could hide all the time! It's hard! :)

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Southern tease bun. Easy to pull the 'wings' down to cover tops of ears.
This lady does a variation on it, you can google other ways to do.
http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/apps/videos/videos/show/9616632-southern-tease-updo-hairstyle

MissBubble
January 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thank you for your answers ladies!

Wisé
January 5th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Why does the image of princess Leah come to mind? ;-)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1355/anh2np0.jpg

I don't know if this would work, but if you want to make high updos and still cover your ears you could try deeper faux bangs (only works if you don't already have bangs) to cover your ears:
Take thick strands (so it's enough to hide your ears) from the sides of your part and put them loosely and low back over your ears and clip them in the nape so they stay put. Then just do the updo you want treating the clipped back hair as if it was really growing there.
I really don't know if this will work and you better experiment a bit to find whats best for you.
But if it works you could make any hairstyle you want without having to limit yourself because of your ears.

embee
January 5th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'd suggest a low bun to the side you want to cover. Last time I saw this was on a bridesmaid and she looked lovely and special with her hair that way.

Of course it always helps to be young and pretty to start with, but the hair style itself was very nice, and being an LHC member, that's naturally the first thing I noticed! ;)

Nae
January 5th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I would look for Downton Abbey hairstyles online. A lot of them cover the ears.

Chromis
January 5th, 2014, 08:48 AM
If it helps any, I have a scar behind one ear that goes around to the nape too. It has faded a lot now, but even when it was quite easy to see, most people never noticed. Friends were always surprised if I pointed it out even, so I know it wasn't just them being polite. :lol:

I too thought of Star Wars, but agree a low nape bun should do it. That would drive me batty, however, so if I was super concerned I would have tried a dab of concealer.

Panth
January 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Part the hair from in front of the left ear to in front of the right ear (i.e. along the line that an Alice band would sit). Part the front half however you like - centre, offcentre. Bun the back half of the hair. Take one of the front side pieces and draw it back, draping it over the ear then back towards the bun. If you can, wrap it around the bun and pin (e.g. bobby pin) in place. If not, use clips (e.g small claw clips) to hold the hair in place so it remains in that position. Repeat on the other side.

It should be something like this (http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/26/0d/7b/260d7b2cf22c06a194ebd19fefc5c2dc.jpg), though with the front sections pulled somewhat tighter when drawing back to the bun, so that the ears are covered. You can, of course, plait the front side pieces as in that image for added interest.

A similar idea is shown here (http://theladysguide.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/quick-and-simple-1860s-hairstyle.html), demonstrating you can even do it with a ponytail. However, if you pin back the front sections after making the bun, you don't have to have a ponytail base to your bun.

P.S. This is also a really useful style for people (like me) whose hair dislikes not being parted. You can part the front half but erase the parting in the back half, enabling a higher bun placement but no/less uncomfortable pulling on the front hairline.