PDA

View Full Version : Hair texture changes since LHC

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2014, 06:26 AM
I know some people have learned they are curlies, instead of straighties with 'unmanageable' hair. I'm a curly and my curls keep getting (or turning out to be) looser. And looser. It's not length--I'm not that long yet. Moisturizing, protecting and LHC methods has changed my hair so much that yesterday my husband (who is not very observant and not a 'hair' person) was remarking that I have totally different hair than I did 18 months ago. Anybody else startled by what their hair has turned out to be like?

Johannah
January 4th, 2014, 06:41 AM
My hair got straighter as well. In the beginning, I was a 2a/2b. Now I'm a 1c and sometimes it looks like I'm going to a 1b :)

Wisé
January 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I'm in the same boat. My curls are way less curly now and I don't think it's only the length' fault (I have shorter strands around my face which aren't as curly as I used to be).

I try counteracting it with tips from naturallycurly.com and am right now in the process of trying to change the way I'm styling.
E.g. I'm just one step away from not using any leave-in at all anymore and trying to apply my gel differently.

If I can't find a balance with my curls on the long run I might even consider cutting it shorter.

lapushka
January 4th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Yes, I'm a 2a, and the more it's taken care of, the more it is taking on the properties of a 2b (yeah, not quite). I'm somewhere in the middle. Length does weigh down the hair, though, even if it doesn't look like it might be much, it is still a contributing factor.

rowie
January 4th, 2014, 07:18 AM
When I was a kid I had 1c type hair, but as soon as the hormones kicked in I had multi textured coarse hairs. I now have varying textures from 1c- to really defined tight 2c s waves. I have mixed heritages from China, Spain, and the Philippines and so I feel like my hair represents the types of textures common to each of these countries. It is very difficult to find a routine that works for me, but I'd have to agree that LHC gave me a starting point to help me out in this crazy journey of growing hair. I still discover what I like at every stage, and it seems that at different lengths my hair needs changes. I now detest coconut oil since it can make my hair turn crunchy if used in great quantities. Being that I have very coarse thick hairs I need a lot of oil, and so I now turn to the heavy oils like EVOO. I sometimes will mix my EvOO with Japanese Camelia oil or virgin coconut oil. Also my updos preference changed into just liking the nautilus bun or centerheld buns for hair accessories. I now know that for me, at different lengths i'll have to start re exploring what my needs are for my hair.

lunalocks
January 4th, 2014, 10:03 AM
The longer my hair gets, and with the changes I have made here, and with menopause, my hair has MORE texture and wave. It is all in the length, from chin down, tho the waves are starting to show up at the back of my head. I actually have some spirals after air drying. My friends just assume these are braid waves but they are not since I don't braid much anymore.

Naiadryade
January 4th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Well, my hair acts a little straighter when I use my Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque as a leave-in, especially if I re-apply on dry hair. I do it anyway, because it makes it so soft and moisturized. It's not a permanent change, though--if I don't use it my hair waves right back up.

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Interesting feedback. It's not my leave in. Or I don't think so. I leave in random different conditioners as I found I hated everything marked as 'leave-in' since it weighed my hair down, felt gunky and 'producty'. Right now I am leaving Tresseme with the cones. I started this a couple of weeks ago--before that I did Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition something or other. What seems to make my texture different is actually good old H20. Things that trap moisture in there give me very loose curls (at least, loose for me) that have a very silky texture. then when it gets dry, pouf and frizz . though the curls aren't tightening up with dryness, just frizzing out.
I have had an afro before in my life. Granted, it was an afro that required a lot of work. My sister was reminding me the other day how as a teenager I faithfully rolled my hair up on 70-80 brown paper curlers every single night, ferociously teased my hair and walked around with a plant spritzer in my pocket to spray the hair with and tease some more every time the thing started to flop on top and look less like vintage Jackson five and more like Roseann Roseannadan (or as my husband memorably said, Bozo the Clown). Oh, for that teenage determination again..
I could not make my hair afro in its current state, however no matter what I did. Even when dry and poufy (which I honestly don't want to go back to, because the bottom line is, that's when its damaged and I now would rather have my hair healthy and healthy feeling than follow a current fashion), it has got too much 'flop'.
I do definitely still have curls and probably not what many of you on LHC would consider to be loose curls, even--it's just different for me and is taking some getting used to. It's interesting than one person actually went from curly to type 1? that sounds like an identity crisis (at least it would be for me)

duchess67
January 4th, 2014, 01:23 PM
My hair has also lost some of its curls. It usually happens to me during winter months.

GoddesJourney
January 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I went to California for a few days and my hair was like 1b the whole time. I'm thinking it was the dryer air. Also, I was using VO5 instead of Mane, and Tail or Suave, and that stuff seems to really stick to your hair. I came back to Florida yesterday and took a picture of 2a hair this morning to send to my friend, who didn't believe that my hair is never straight like that.

leslissocool
January 4th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I moved from humid to dry climate ( SoCal has way higher humidity than here, but we get way more rain and snow) and my hair for straighter. Now this year my progress pictures ( from hip to almost classic) made my hair straight!i look like a 1c now!

I'm kind of loving it :lol: my hair holds curl ( because it's really a 2b-2c) but now it's not frizzy and the length is taming my thickness ( no more triangle poof and it really does look long!). I'm thinking of hair wrapping ad getting really big rollers.

Only downside is my skin hates the dry climate, but my teenager just came back for SoCal all full of acne ( he got there with a clean face) so his skin does better here.

queenieheather
January 4th, 2014, 11:41 PM
My hair does the same thing when I just use conditioner plus a few drops of oil or shea butter without gel. It is also cold and dry where I live(Michigan). My hair curliness is extremely dependent on the weather, or at least humidity. Not sure if that's the cause for you or not!

Brileeka
January 5th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I notice as my hair gets healthier is gets straighter. Anyways it seems that way.

retrotussi
January 11th, 2014, 12:34 PM
My hair got culier. A lot. But before, I combed it while blowdrying, so that might have had an effect :P

Sharysa
January 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I went to California for a few days and my hair was like 1b the whole time. I'm thinking it was the dryer air. Also, I was using VO5 instead of Mane, and Tail or Suave, and that stuff seems to really stick to your hair. I came back to Florida yesterday and took a picture of 2a hair this morning to send to my friend, who didn't believe that my hair is never straight like that.

Was it Northern California or Southern California? Generally the North is a LOT wetter than the south, but we seem to be having a pretty dry winter. There's only been a few drizzles so far, and it doesn't feel right at all because our natural winter weather is "minor to moderate floods for several days at a time."

durgidog
January 11th, 2014, 09:27 PM
This has happened to me as well, I'm a wavy who gets ringlets when my hair needs moisture. Funny this topic came up as I was going through some old pictures tonight, and remarking to myself how much my hair has straightened since it's gotten healthier. Here are two photos, one from Autumn 2011, and one from Autumn 2013, I'm wearing pink clip ins in the second pic.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8661&d=1389500666http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8662&d=1389500678

MaryO
January 12th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Since getting pregnant my hair has been getting wavier, I haven't checked what the 'code' and although the wave is barely there it's not as straight as usual. Wonder if it will go back after the baby comes?

Berlie
January 12th, 2014, 08:49 AM
My hair has more wave to it now. I used to be stick straight, but not anymore. All I need is some sea salt spray and I'm good to go. Hair goes through cycles or phases, every 7 years. Never boring!!

UP Lisa
January 12th, 2014, 10:06 AM
All my life I thought my hair was straight until I started to notice waves a few years ago. I'm actually a 2b as long as my hair gets enough moisture

SnowWhite
January 12th, 2014, 10:18 AM
My hair got straighter... The result of the combination of growth, henna and oiling.