PDA

View Full Version : How important is fish oil for hair growth?

katietyree
January 4th, 2014, 04:19 AM
How important is fish oil for hair growth? I take prenatal (not pregnant) and 10000 mcg biotin daily.... Didnt realize fish oil had importance in hair growth.... also is there any other vitamins anyone is taking that will aid in hair growth? Thanks all.

YamaMaya
January 4th, 2014, 04:26 AM
It won't make your hair grow any faster, it may improve your shine though.

truepeacenik
January 4th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Not at all. Vegans and vegetarians and fish haters all grow great locks.

It's all about essential fatty acids. Not fish per se.

And it's all about good nutrition for your hair as it develops. So a supplement will make a difference in new growth only.

neko_kawaii
January 4th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Also be advised that your body may not absorb nutrients through supplements the same way it will from whole foods.

Firefox7275
January 4th, 2014, 09:00 AM
All nutrients are important in healthy scalp/ follicles/ hair/ sebum quality - hair is comprised of protein AND lipids (eg. 18-MEA, ceramides, saturates) which 'glue' the protective cuticle together and provide a water resistant coating on the surface. Even if you don't get faster growth you could get less breakage and splitting with a balanced diet.

The skin is our largest organ, the long chain omega-3s and bioavailable vitamin D are critical for its optimal function. You would do better eating nutrient dense oily fish than supplements. Seasonal changes in growth and shedding may be partly mitigated by a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Just because biotin may make hair grow faster for some doesn't make it a healthy or safe thing to randomly take high doses of. Please understand the micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition so balance is very important. You really can do more harm than good taking them individually or in small groups if not prescribed b our doctor or a registered dietician.

Chiquita Banana
January 4th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I agree with the others. I do take a cod liver oil pill everyday for the EFA's but I won't say that that's what has made my hair grow. I think a high quality diet is key for healthy skin and healthy hair, period. Those that don't eat healthy can still grow long hair... I'm just not sure it will be as healthy of hair as someone who eats better.

trolleypup
January 4th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Not at all. Vegans and vegetarians and fish haters all grow great locks.

It's all about essential fatty acids. Not fish per se.

And it's all about good nutrition for your hair as it develops. So a supplement will make a difference in new growth only.
A generally well balanced healthy diet and good health will do more for your hair than taking supplements beyond the needs of your body. And...neither will help you beyond what your genes determine.

The sushi twice a week is yummy though!

EdG
January 4th, 2014, 10:14 AM
There are quite a few long-haired vegetarians and vegans on this board.
Ed

katietyree
January 4th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks to all who all have replied. Great info!

Firefox7275
January 4th, 2014, 06:41 PM
BTW when health professionals talk about fish oils we mean fish body oils (good source of DHA and EPA usually no vitamin D) not for liver oil (poor source of DHA and EPA, usually has vitamin D). It's no secret I am not a fan of supplementing to replace a balanced and varied diet but fish body oils are the only one I recommend frequently to my nutrition clients.

Vegetarians can get short chain omega-3s from certain seeds, conversion to the useable long chain format caries but can be as low as 10%. Long chain omega-3 and vitamin D are found in low but useful amounts in omega enriched eggs. Can supplement marine algae extracts. Anyone can get vitamin D from sunlight, dependent on climate, lifestyle and season.

ravenreed
January 4th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I took fish oil for over a decade and it really didn't improve my hair at all. I don't know that any supplement I took ever did anything for my hair. Certainly nothing for my peeling, pitiful nails. A few months back I stopped taking various supplements and was suddenly having a random and extreme (for me anyway) growth spurt. I suspect it is unrelated, but worth mentioning.

ETA: Thinking back there was one that might have made some difference and that was ginko biloba. I mostly notice that my eyelashes get longer. Other than that I can't say much has been successful.

duchess67
January 4th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I happened to watch an episode of Dr. Oz show recently where Dr. Andrew Weil was a guest. In that episode Dr. Weil was talking about supplements and he mentioned that taking 500 mg of Evening Primrose oil twice a day helps with the condition of our hair and within 6 to 8 weeks one should be able to see the results.
I do take fish oils daily, but don't take EPO not so regularly. Henceforth I am going to take EPO daily and see how it goes.

Here's the link to Dr. Weil's website. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02032/healthy-hair-and-skin.html.

katietyree
January 4th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Hmm... now that is interesting! I havent ever heard that.... dr. Oz is where i heard about biotin.... evening primrose oil i will have to give it a try.. thanks

RubyTuesday
January 5th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Last time I went to the hairdressers (mid December) she said "Do you take any particular vitamins?"
I said yes I did - Fish oils, vitamin C and a multi vitamin.
She said, "Well whatever you are taking or doing, keep doing it as you have lots of new baby hairs about an inch and a half long all over your head and most people only get these new hair around the hairline but yours are all over"

I have been taking fish oils for some time so I don't think I can attribute it to that, but I had only been taking the multivitamin for a few months, so perhaps I have been getting some vitamin or mineral that I was lacking before? Who knows, but I am carrying on as before in the hope that there is a link!

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 09:19 AM
If I am thinking of the right person Dr Weil is not a medical doctor he is an alternative practitioner and his website is laden with advertisements. Dr Oz is well known by other scientists as a quack - for example he's claimed a supplement is proven when there has been ONE tiny study in animals only.

Sorry to not check before posting this, I am on my phone of late.

duchess67
January 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
The Dr. Weil I am talking about does have a medical degree from Harvard Medical school. And yes, I know he has come under a lot of criticism from other medical professionals.

Dr. Weil says that patients should take the Western medicine prescribed by the doctor, and then incorporate alternative therapies such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and herbal remedies, meditation and other “spiritual” strategies. (This I copied from Wikipedia)

Here is Dr. Weil's wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Weil
Here is Dr. Weil's Biography http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/wei1bio-1

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I'm an advocate of whole foods wherever possible, smaller oily fish like mackerel and sardines are excellent sources of DHA, EPA and bioavailable vitamin D and what humans evolved eating (see Out of Africa theory maps). Many seafoods are also good sources of other micronutrients including biotin.

MissBubble
January 5th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I had noticed increased hair and nail growth in the past taking an Omega 3-6-9 supplement. My hair was also more shiny and my skin looked better.

peppermintgomez
January 5th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I am a vegetarian who has started taking flaxseed oil. Even when I ate meat, the thought of taking fishy supplements grossed me out. My hair and nails are naturally dry (all the women in my family have dry hair), so I don't know if it will help or not, but I'm hoping it will help moisturize from within. Topical moisture has absolutely no effect on my hair at all. I only started recently so I won't know for some time if it's helping or not

ravenreed
January 5th, 2014, 01:59 PM
What about incorporating coconut oil into your diet? Also, are you drinking enough water?

I am a vegetarian who has started taking flaxseed oil. Even when I ate meat, the thought of taking fishy supplements grossed me out. My hair and nails are naturally dry (all the women in my family have dry hair), so I don't know if it will help or not, but I'm hoping it will help moisturize from within. Topical moisture has absolutely no effect on my hair at all. I only started recently so I won't know for some time if it's helping or not

jacqueline101
January 5th, 2014, 02:07 PM
This is a bit off topic but I have a friend that uses vitamins a &d ointment the fish smelling one on her scalp. She does it like monistat and swore it made her hair grow. She said it helped a variety of issues.

Firefox7275
January 5th, 2014, 05:10 PM

You need loads of flaxseed oil, the short chain omegas are converted at rates as low as 10%. Next time consider a marine algae extract rich in DHA and EPA.