PDA

View Full Version : STRESS has my hair FALLING OUT. How can I stop it?

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2014, 11:54 PM
In November my boyfriend was arrested. I don't want to go into detail here but basically he was on parole and one of his rules was he wasn't supposed to be in a romantic relationship. Well, he did...with me. His PO found out and they arrested him. He was a HUGE part of my life. I suffer from anxiety, but when I was with him I felt normal, he made me feel like everything was going to be okay. Anyways, when he got arrested my life fell apart, and because we weren't supposed to be dating me, none of his family knew we where. He has since told them and well, his mom seems to hate me... Anyways, this whole situation has been VERY, VERY stressful...theres so many bits an pieces to this situation and I don't care to go into them, but I've been taking it...not well. I have trouble eating some days, I'm always anxious, depressed.. About a month ago my hair started falling out. I would comb before a shower and a hairball would come out, a hairball would fall out in the shower, then again when I brushed after my shower, and if I run my fingers through it, I get even more hair. My hair is thin...thinner than my thumb! So it freaked me out. I went to the doctor and had blood tests, and the doctor said physically I was fine, and it was probably just stress and nothing they could do about it. So how can I make it stop?? I'm still going through the stress and I can only foresee it getting worse depending on how his court date goes. I don't want to loose my hair over this, I was just starting to like my hair again and now this. Anything I can do to help it??

lapushka
January 4th, 2014, 03:06 AM
It's not "just" stress if you're depressed and not eating right. Make sure you eat well first. Do it for your own sake, and let the rest sort itself out (nothing you can do there anyway).

Nini
January 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM
You'll have to find a way to handle your stress. If it's depression maybe you should look into counselling if that's an option. It's important to eat well, and a little physical excertion will probably only do you well too.

embee
January 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Your first responsibility is to take care of *you*. The court will do whatever the court wants to do, not under your control. It may seem selfish, yet try to focus on things you can control: your diet, exercise, reading material, web-surfing, sleep pattern, working, the words you are saying to yourself in your mind. Your being a wreck is not going to help him.

It is not easy. Please remember that you are stronger than you feel. :)

Firefox7275
January 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Find a way to manage the anxiety (easier said than done I know full well). Things that worked for me when combined, and backed by published research

- very low dose beta blockers on prescription. Cornerstone because it allowed me to eat and sleep somewhat. Few side effects, non addictive.
- daily physical activity, ideally intense several times a week. Releases happy hormones and can be a simple distraction from repetitive thoughts.
- EAT whether you want to or not. I found I could stomach saucey pasta but not drier sandwiches. Ideally an anti stress diet: nutrient rich especially long chain omega-3s and magnesium.
- stress management techniques anything from breathing to yoga.

Kaelee
January 4th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I'm really disturbed that the court would order someone to break off a standing romantic relationship as a condition of parole (if I remember rightly, this is a long term relationship, NOT a 'fling'.) I'm assuming we're not talking about domestic abuse here.

I suggest talking to your doctor, and seeking out counseling. Both of those things can help on their own, but sometimes it's beneficial to hit it from both sides, so to speak. Also, make sure you're eating well, even if you have to force yourself.

heidi w.
January 4th, 2014, 08:55 AM
This sounds terrible. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. The only way the stress will stop is if you Calm Down and Carry On. Why would you have a romance with a guy who is on parole and specifically told NOT to romance. I can't believe they'd rule that unless somehow it was involved with his crime. I think you could apologize, perhaps. That's a starting point. Eat well, particularly protein. Also consider exercise as that is often a stress reliever.
heidi w.

Kaelee
January 4th, 2014, 09:07 AM
This sounds terrible. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. The only way the stress will stop is if you Calm Down and Carry On. Why would you have a romance with a guy who is on parole and specifically told NOT to romance. I can't believe they'd rule that unless somehow it was involved with his crime. I think you could apologize, perhaps. That's a starting point. Eat well, particularly protein. Also consider exercise as that is often a stress reliever.
heidi w.

their relationship predates his arrest, from what I remember of other posts, by a long shot.

I know if I were told I (or DF) could not be in a romantic relationship...seeing as I'm engaged to be married...I would have an unholy $hit fit and be in jail for something much worse as a result.

Silverbrumby
January 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM
After doing a little research I am more worried about you emotionally than the hair loss even though that's probably not helping.

You need to see if your health fund will cover the cost of counseling. I think you need an independent source of comfort and advice. I would recommend turning to your family but I think they would find this hard to understand.

Find help, an advice line. If you love this fellow enough to want to be an asset in his life then first learn to understand and take care of yourself. Life if odd and my niece has the father of her child in prison. It's been a hard five years for her but she's pulled her life together and has a wonderful daughter and new career.

Good luck and best wishes.

TiaKitty
January 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM
:grouphug: I'm sorry, girl.... I know it's hard!

You're getting good advice, and I just want to second or third the advice to do yoga. You can find poses online if you don't find videos! I suggest sun salutations, just because that's the easiest and my favorite. I love downward facing dog...

Ravenkitten
January 4th, 2014, 10:36 AM
In November my boyfriend was arrested. I don't want to go into detail here but basically he was on parole and one of his rules was he wasn't supposed to be in a romantic relationship. Well, he did...with me. His PO found out and they arrested him. He was a HUGE part of my life. I suffer from anxiety, but when I was with him I felt normal, he made me feel like everything was going to be okay. Anyways, when he got arrested my life fell apart, and because we weren't supposed to be dating me, none of his family knew we where. He has since told them and well, his mom seems to hate me... Anyways, this whole situation has been VERY, VERY stressful...theres so many bits an pieces to this situation and I don't care to go into them, but I've been taking it...not well. I have trouble eating some days, I'm always anxious, depressed.. About a month ago my hair started falling out. I would comb before a shower and a hairball would come out, a hairball would fall out in the shower, then again when I brushed after my shower, and if I run my fingers through it, I get even more hair. My hair is thin...thinner than my thumb! So it freaked me out. I went to the doctor and had blood tests, and the doctor said physically I was fine, and it was probably just stress and nothing they could do about it. So how can I make it stop?? I'm still going through the stress and I can only foresee it getting worse depending on how his court date goes. I don't want to loose my hair over this, I was just starting to like my hair again and now this. Anything I can do to help it??

sleep well, eat well, exercise, yoga, head massages, amla oil, need to do things to improve circulation. switch to mild shampoos, dont use heat or nasty dyes. look into essential oils, they can be a great, natural way to help you through this. Also, lean on friends and family for support. Pick up a hobbie? good luck!!
:luke: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Nadine <3
January 4th, 2014, 02:01 PM
We where very, very close friends...He asked me to be his girlfriend a week before his parole was set. It is stupid, considering the reason he's in trouble is...well, he doesn't think his actions through very well. He didn't mean to do what he did. He didn't know he had until he got busted for it. Hard to explain without writing a book lol My diet is fairly decent. My appetite isn't great, but when I do eat I make sure I'm eating lots of fruits, veggies, grains...no processed food and very little sweets. I'm on medication for the anxiety and depression but I will still get panic attacks, almost every night. I try and get out and move around when it's not to cold (January in Wisconsin BRRRRR!!!) I use a gentle comb to detangle when needed, but mostly I just use my fingers, and I use and all natural organic shampoo and conditioner (anything that touches my skin has to be very gentle otherwise my skin pitches a fit) I like to use a drop of olive oil on my length at night. I'm very nice to my hair. It's been very oily lately, my scalp makes more sebum in the winter than in the summer. I will look into doing some yoga...I like to meditate from time to time. Thank you all.

diddiedaisy
January 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Hi, I had a massive shed due to stress last July to September. At the time I wasn't eating well, wasn't sleeping and generally felt like hell. It was noticeable on the left side above my ear if I put my hair up. I stopped putting my hair up, naturally de stressed as time is a great healer and I noticed all of a sudden last month that my hair had grown back. Obviously, it's shorter than the rest but has grown faster than the rest. Already the new growth is between 4-5 inches, and my hair grows less than average.

So my advice to you would be to try and eat and sleep well. Try a nutritional aid if your appetite is particularly low, and try not to worry. It will come back and faster than you think. I wasn't growing my hair until last month so I wasn't looking after it, but it still came back growing like a weed.